• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What if the Game is Completely 3D!?

Do you want Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and Pokémon Omega Ruby to be 3D?

• Yes

Votes: 55 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.8%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    This is a thought which came to me, and I'm sure some of you after hearing the announcement. In Pokémon X and Y we were introduced with a 3D World which completely changed the way that we viewed and even played the game. What if Game Freak brought this new style to Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire? In the trailer, there appeared a 3D Pikachu that resembled one in X and Y.

So the main question is, would you like the new games to be completely 3D like in Pokémon X and Y, OR would you prefer Game Freak to keep the two dimensional style like the original Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire had. Which one would you prefer and why?

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I'd prefer a full 3D game so I can justify buying a 3DS. X&Y had disappointing graphics. Hardly any of it is 3D. :(

Controversy

Drink The Kool-Aid
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2015
    I'd prefer it to look like X and Y except more smoother. I know the pixels are kinda their thing but it just came across a bit messy sometimes

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    3D Graphics but less pixel-y, I wouldn't mind if they went back to black/white with the animated sprites (though I doubt they will) but that would be pointless if they're releasing it on the 3DS.

Years
  • It'd be neat to see a fully 3D game, to make up for the lack of 3D in X and Y's overworld, that's for sure.

Years
  • Since it is releasing on the 3ds, it surely gonna have 3d in it. I think it would be awesome if you could play the whole game in 3d instead of the 3d effects being restricted to battles and certain areas.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I'd like for them to do full 3D. It wasn't fully utilised in X and Y, I felt (possibly due to them trying to plug the 2DS?).

Regardless, as long as there aren't the lag issues + pixel issues of X/Y then I'm not really that bothered!

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    It's really sad to see Pokémon games move away from the typical 2/2.5D look :( But I guess it's kinda inevitable.

It'd be nice to see Hoenn in 3D, but I'm not sure it would scale that well, in the sense that towns and cities would just seem so much smaller in a third-person perspective.

The magic behind older Pokémon games is that smaller towns with only 3 or 4 buildings still felt somewhat decently sized because of the 2D, miniaturised art style. No idea how Hoenn's going to get translated through that. Are they gonna put more buildings everywhere just to make things seem larger? Doubt it. But if not, how are they going to make everything not seem so minuscule?

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    No thanks. The great overhaul that we got in X&Y is pretty perfect.

Lihtal

Castle Guard
    Years
  • Fully 3d, but please game freak...just animate some trainers, at least the Gym Leaders! it does not feel the same when only a poke ball comes flying by over a static image...

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • Are they gonna put more buildings everywhere just to make things seem larger? Doubt it. But if not, how are they going to make everything not seem so minuscule?
    I was wondering the same thing, actually. The press release does state that it's supposedly a "fresh take" on Ruby and Sapphire, so I'm assuming there are going to be some liberties taken. Then again, it could just as easily just be their fancy press wording.

It says on the boxes: "Playable in 2D. Some areas playable in 3D."
    Yeah, I saw that too. I'm assuming it's going to be about the same ratio of 2D/3D that we saw in X/Y. Though I'm not saying they shouldn't up it a bit. I want my money's worth out of the 3DS XL I bought after all!

Years
  • It's really sad to see Pokémon games move away from the typical 2/2.5D look :( But I guess it's kinda inevitable.

It'd be nice to see Hoenn in 3D, but I'm not sure it would scale that well, in the sense that towns and cities would just seem so much smaller in a third-person perspective.

The magic behind older Pokémon games is that smaller towns with only 3 or 4 buildings still felt somewhat decently sized because of the 2D, miniaturised art style. No idea how Hoenn's going to get translated through that. Are they gonna put more buildings everywhere just to make things seem larger? Doubt it. But if not, how are they going to make everything not seem so minuscule?

I was thinking about this earlier. I certainly think these games will be made like XY - a completely 3D world. And if they are going to make them like that, they'd have to add many buildings to most cities.

This also made me think that some cities, like Rustboro or Slateport, could even get expanded to be of similar size to Lumiose or Castelia. It'd be almost a complete redesign for them.

Years
  • Just like Troock pointed out, the boxes have the same message on them that X/Y did, in that only certain portions of the game are in 3D (likely the battles again). Granted, it's still just tentative box art, but I just can't see them going all out for a remake, and not saving a full 3D world for their 7th generation games. Personally, I'm more than content if OR/AS get the same treatment that X/Y did, and don't mind waiting a bit longer for a fully 3D game.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
  • Like HG/SS, it was using the Platinum Engine. So my head-canon is that this is the 3DS and it'll use the X & Y game engine, so I believe (and freaking hope) it is in full 3D. :)

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • I'd like it to be like X&Y a little 3D but not to the point of a constant eye strain. I don't know about you guys but if I play a game on full 3D for too long my eye starts to twitch.

Years
  • If they can manage to implement 3D without loss of Frame Rate, I'm all for it, but if they can't, they should keep it out and spend their time doing something more productive. All the 3D stuff in X/Y made the game so sluggish.

If they do fix the 3D though, I'd like it to be everywhere, not just a few places.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • I was thinking about this earlier. I certainly think these games will be made like XY - a completely 3D world. And if they are going to make them like that, they'd have to add many buildings to most cities.

This also made me think that some cities, like Rustboro or Slateport, could even get expanded to be of similar size to Lumiose or Castelia. It'd be almost a complete redesign for them.

Which, to be honest, if they expand Rustboro or Slateport, that could easily explained if the games are actually sequels. If the games take place later, well, the cities expanded as time went on.

Back