• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What if....

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
Years
  • Question 1.
    What if the Creator of the hack doesnt know how to make his own tile.
    will you play his hack?(SOLO HACK)

it seems that everyone says that tiles are jsut for decorative purposes and the important part is mapping/scripting.
    QUESTION 2.
    Would you rather play a boring hack with nice trainer sprites/OW sprite
    or an interesting hack with the original trainer sprite/OW sprite

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I'd want to teach him, but personally, I don't care about the tiles too much. I will play based on the story and scripts and maps.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Who cares about tiles? I care about the scripts. If you judge a hack by it's graphics, that's descriminating hacks because they have graphics you don't like.

Last edited:

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • A lot of hacks use custom tiles, but a lot also use the tiles already in the games.
    So to me, I could care less about tile changes.
    They do make a hack look unique and possibly nicer but if a hack has an interesting story, I will play it anyway.

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • Tiles are flashy and unneeded for a great hack...
    (Rijon Adventures Has Won The 2008 HotY)
    The Scripts and overall mapping ability of the person are what matters...
    Great tiles are worth nothing if your mapping abilities are no good...

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Who cares if he can't make his own tiles? Anyways, I have to disagree with a lot of people posting on here. Yes, scripting is one of the most important parts of a hack, but, honestly, would you tell me that if there was a hack with beastly scripts, but horrid maps, and whatnot, you would play it? I highly doubt it. There needs to be a balance between all things in a hack, there's not really one single most important aspect in hacking.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Who cares if he can't make his own tiles? Anyways, I have to disagree with a lot of people posting on here. Yes, scripting is one of the most important parts of a hack, but, honestly, would you tell me that if there was a hack with beastly scripts, but horrid maps, and whatnot, you would play it? I highly doubt it. There needs to be a balance between all things in a hack, there's not really one single most important aspect in hacking.

Graphics =/= Mapping.

But anyway, of course I would, if it was still a good hack.

Oh noes, it appears my newest unreleased hack is unliked by one person already! It has no new tiles and a very very unoriginal (or really original, if you look at it another way) storyline.

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
    Years
  • Tiles shouldn't mean anything. If a hack has to rely on it's tiles to make it a "good" hack, then it shouldn't be considered a "good" hack at all. Things such as scripts and maps, which contain more substance, should be what define a hack.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Well, i like the tiles most. But i don't judge hacks based on their tiles. Pokemon Genesis was a good experience for me, Thrace left un-touched the tiles, but the scripts were good, so i liked the game.

But it won't hurt change the tiles. I'm just pretty bored of the FR tiles.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Tiles matter to me if I play a hack.
    But I don't care if it's graphically amazing, good, nice, awesome or whatever.
    As long as the tiles doesn't bother me, I really would care less.
    I am fine with not replaced tiles, just not RSE ones... I hate those...
    But when the tiles are too ugly, then it's one of the great turn-offs for a hack, for me, at least...

However, tile editing is just a 'flowering' to your hack.
    The most important factors in a hack are mapping, and mainly scripting.

But what if the maps and scripts are really awesome but the tiles are very bad?
    Simple, change the tiles back! D:

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • Tiles aren't the best. But if I play a Ruby Hack, their tiles should be replaced with FR or other Custom Tiles.

The Scripts, Maps and OWs are the most important stuff in a Hack.

Years
  • Who cares about tiles? I care about the scripts. If you judge a hack by it's graphics, that's descriminating hacks because they have graphics you don't like.

If you judge a hack by it's scripts, that's discriminating hacks because they have a scripts you don't like.

Anyways, graphics matter just as much to a game as anything else.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • New tiles are nice and can get you some immediate attention, but generally they don't hold people's interest for long. I personally don't care about new tiles, but the basic FR palettes do need an overhaul. A change of colors is all it takes to make a game feel new.

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
    Years
  • you could always use a rom base! :mew:

A ROM base just makes you're hack look generic if you ask me. Or it says something about the creator themselves. If they're too lazy to insert their own tiles, then they probably won't go far.

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
    Years
  • A ROM base just makes you're hack look generic if you ask me. Or it says something about the creator themselves. If they're too lazy to insert their own tiles, then they probably won't go far.

ROM bases made me loose all hope with the majority of ROM "hacks" on Pokecommunity. So person A wants a different look to Nintendo's? They use a ROM base, then person B comes along and decides the same and uses the same ROM base, then person C maybe with a different pallet, etc. ROM bases loose the point of them when sed excesivly. Then you have the same generic scripts over and over again, I can guarentee that any new hack on here will have some sort of uneeded over dramatic legendary script. Also alot of people seem to be having silly titles Like 'Pokemon: Moons from the lost dimensions of Blue Skys'.

One more point, whats with all the countless groups with 'Team 'Insert name here'' what happend to oringnality? Back in the day one person may have used to something like BG Translations, or Meowth Hacks, or Neo Productions. I do admit that there were alot of 'insert letters here' Translations, but they were alot more exciting than all the 'Team 'Insert name here'' now a days, they had basic websites that got the point accross, they did use Rom bases, they mostly created things them selves(the od tile borrowing went on still, but no as much now), some coded the sites themselves, now all you get are sites like WAH, and PHO, that even on a ADSL conection take flipping ages to load with their silly graphics half the size of a 1024x768 screen.

Back