• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your least favorite part of any pokemon game?

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    I saw the thread about peoples favorite parts in any game, and I began thinking about counterpoints to a lot of those good things.

My biggest complaint is that there are a lot of pokemon, but you cant really play the game with most of them (unless you play a hack)

You know, Id love to try to raise a dratini up from scratch and play with a dragonite, but I have never had the opportunity. Ive wanted to do that since the first time through the elite 4 on blue, but you get to so many pokemon late in a game you dont get to play with them.

Other than that, Id say my other chief complaint or disappointment is that the games are so structured, there is very little in the sense of free roaming. Game after game, maybe the villains and their plot is different, but the general story line is the same

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Yeah, I kind of agree with you on the storyline part. Though, I haven't really gotten tired of it, so that's good! Anyway, personally, I sorta dislike the beginning of Pokémon games, when they go through all basic stuff such as how to battle, heal your Pokémon, buy items from the mart, etc. If we had a way to disable these things, it would have been great. :b

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    Ive often thought that a difficulty setting would be amazing, choose it at the beginning.

All youd even have to really change is item prices / exp gain

And youre right about the beginnings. Half the time they ask if you know how to do something, then go through a whole bunch of talking to tell you how to use it anyways

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Anyway, personally, I sorta dislike the beginning of Pokémon games, when they go through all basic stuff such as how to battle, heal your Pokémon, buy items from the mart, etc. If we had a way to disable these things, it would have been great. :b

This right here. I hate those beginning tutorials, it's like they keep expecting everyone to forget how to play. I know the Pokemon series gets new players every year, but it's like a smack to the face to experienced players, and a bothersome, compulsory event. I wish those tutorials could be optional :\

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    This is kinda an odd one, but I always hate facing the insane amount of bad guys at the end of each storyline. If memory serves, practically every game has it: the road to the legendaries is swarming with grunts and it's annoying taking them all out.

Since I chose that out of all the things, I guess it kinda shows I don't have much to complain about.

Years
  • I always liked how everything was a bit slow and chill at the beginning. Especially in the Pokemon Emerald. When I start a game I just want to wander around and have people show what to do, despite the fact I've been doing it for xy years xD

What however annoys me is!:

1.Caves and water routes
    Zubat, Tentacool, geodude, can you just NOT. It's not about how often they appear, it's about how pointless they are to be beaten. Minimal EGP gain, and no fun at all.

2. Too many trainers in one route
    "Alright, time to move forward, lets see what we have on the next route" And bam, 10 players almost one near each other. That route in Kanto, right from the town with Safari. Why so many trainers?!
    But I guess it's not that bad.

3. Not being able to train some Pokemon from the beginning
    Someone already mentioned it. Dratini, Eevee etc. In most games they are either unobtainable or hardly obtainable at the point where I'm almost done with the main game.
    I do have a solution for that though, in Pokemon Soul SIlver which I am planning to play sometimes this or next year, I will trade over eggs of Pokemon I want to play with, so I could do that from the very beginning :D

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I agree with the stuff one has to do at the beginning, for us "veterans" its getting pretty annoying.
    One thing ive never liked that much is the Victoy Road. Its this huge cave with so many trainers and you usually need a bunch of HMs to get through. I would love to see GF try something else as their "vitory road" in a future game

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • Yeah, I kind of agree with you on the storyline part. Though, I haven't really gotten tired of it, so that's good! Anyway, personally, I sorta dislike the beginning of Pokémon games, when they go through all basic stuff such as how to battle, heal your Pokémon, buy items from the mart, etc. If we had a way to disable these things, it would have been great. :b

This is an answer I can bunk on, I mean it's not like it's easy forgetting WHAT THE VERY GAME IS BUILT ON, but I guess the people at GameFreak studios and Nintendo must've though every pokemon player is new.

I also wanted something with the story-line to differ or to be able to change, like based on what are the decisions of the players and what paths they would take, so that as the story moves along, players could become the villain, the hero, the savior, or the destroyer. It would make a lot more things interesting and not so repetitive in a sense.

Years
  • Besides what's mentioned, one thing I dislike is how the grunts in villainous teams tend to always have the same Pokémon over and over. Team Magma and Aqua in RS for one used ONLY three species of Pokémon, and in Emerald, Magma had the occasional Baltoy but it was hardly anything. Same with Team Plasma in BW, they were always using the same stuff like Watchog, Liepard, Trubbish and Sandile.

For that matter, BW had so many trainers who used only the same Pokémon, like Scientists using Klink and Deerling in between Driftveil and Mistralton.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • 1.Caves and water routes
    Zubat, Tentacool, geodude, can you just NOT. It's not about how often they appear, it's about how pointless they are to be beaten. Minimal EGP gain, and no fun at all.

Cave and Water routes are absolutely painful. especially the one in R/S/E, where like a quarter of the map is surfing routes. Even if the pokemon were switched up, I do feel like It'd still frustrate me..

2. Too many trainers in one route
    "Alright, time to move forward, lets see what we have on the next route" And bam, 10 players almost one near each other. That route in Kanto, right from the town with Safari. Why so many trainers?!
    But I guess it's not that bad.

I don't have a problem with these routes once they promote the equal growth of all my pokemon. If it's a route where "Oh look, another bird tamer. Guess you'll be sitting this one out too, Chicorita. If there's a wide variety of Pokemon that I do have to think about, then I feel I'd prefer that.

The other thing about this is, especially in some hacks, I feel like it just isn't done very well. IMO you need to be a decent bit into the game (at least level 20's) before they introduce a big barrage of trainers that you have to fight. That or the trainers should be that little bit lower levelled. Especially when the routes are super duper long.. Maybe I've been playing the wrong hacks though... :)

3. Not being able to train some Pokemon from the beginning
    Someone already mentioned it. Dratini, Eevee etc. In most games they are either unobtainable or hardly obtainable at the point where I'm almost done with the main game.
    I do have a solution for that though, in Pokemon Soul SIlver which I am planning to play sometimes this or next year, I will trade over eggs of Pokemon I want to play with, so I could do that from the very beginning :D
    I feel like the "unobtainables early in" was tweaked a little in X and Y. Like, you can catch Axew and Eevee (among others) pretty early on in the game :) That said, It was really frustrating. Playing through Black I had to wait till I got Surf to get a Frillish, which bothered me a lot....

I agree with the stuff one has to do at the beginning, for us "veterans" its getting pretty annoying.
    One thing ive never liked that much is the Victoy Road. Its this huge cave with so many trainers and you usually need a bunch of HMs to get through. I would love to see GF try something else as their "vitory road" in a future game

They do need to make a tutorial skip option! It's just painful being told how to catch Pokemon when you know how! :)

Victory Road ALWAYS gets me. I'm never any good with it, and it's just the last slow boring bit of the game.

This is an answer I can bunk on, I mean it's not like it's easy forgetting WHAT THE VERY GAME IS BUILT ON, but I guess the people at GameFreak studios and Nintendo must've though every pokemon player is new.

I also wanted something with the story-line to differ or to be able to change, like based on what are the decisions of the players and what paths they would take, so that as the story moves along, players could become the villain, the hero, the savior, or the destroyer. It would make a lot more things interesting and not so repetitive in a sense.

I would absolutely love if they incorporated choice-based gameplay. Even if it was as simple as changing around the trainers you have to fight (eg instead of Rockets have Police), it would be kinda cool :)

Smeargle

Illusory
    Years
  • The first thing that comes to my mind is surfing. It was stated above, but surfing alone was the one reason why I really was unable to have fun in r/s/e. The lack of variety and completely random encounters leaves a bad memory, especially when you've just left a battle only to surf two more steps into another.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm with Peitharchia about the beginning of the game, especially from gen V and VI. Gen IV was where it started to get a bit annoying, but then gen V went way too far. Gen VI is a little more tolerable, plus you don't even have to get a badge to trade, but gen V is the biggest committer of the tutorial crime. I understand kids may be starting in that gen, but 1. older fans didn't have that much of a tutorial in gen I and they did fine and 2. it should at least be optional. I don't wanna sit through it. Y'all don't want to sit through it. My younger cousins, however, might want to.

Also agree with Flushed about fighting baddies. I love that part in RSE personally, but considering it was the first game to really have the plot centered around the legendary like that, I think it's fine. It was okay in DPPt. It was annoying in BW. It was tiresome in BW2. And I just straight up hated it in XY.

Years
  • I never really thought the tutorials were that bad. People say in BW they were annoying and in BW2 it was even worse...while on the contrary, I thought in BW there was just a little bit at the very beginning (although having two rival battles and the first route felt a bit slow), and in BW2 they were the most bearable they've been since DP. I'm not saying that to defend the game or anything; I just never thought it was bad at all and felt it moved fluidly.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well, one of the things that I loved so very much about the Ultra Violet hack is that in this hack you are able to obtain a starter by catching it yourself. I LOVE that idea and never really liked being handed a starter. Also, I don't like that some pokemon require trades to evolve simply because now that I play the games using VBA, it's incredibly time consuming to do so. Yet another aspect that UV fixed.

Years
  • Besides what's mentioned, one thing I dislike is how the grunts in villainous teams tend to always have the same Pokémon over and over. Team Magma and Aqua in RS for one used ONLY three species of Pokémon, and in Emerald, Magma had the occasional Baltoy but it was hardly anything. Same with Team Plasma in BW, they were always using the same stuff like Watchog, Liepard, Trubbish and Sandile.

For that matter, BW had so many trainers who used only the same Pokémon, like Scientists using Klink and Deerling in between Driftveil and Mistralton.

I agree with you, it seems like there are some trainer classes that seem to only revolve themselves around select species, but in BW Unova's case it was kinda understandable due to only Unova Pokemon being present in the Unova Dex.

The grunts are also no exceptions to this, they are like a joke using the same old species over and over again. It's like how the villainous teams have set species the grunts have to catch and then battle the hero with. And don't get me started on the stereotypical Fisherman who always uses 6 Magikarps on his team.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • 1. Having to use HM's. Especially multiple Water-related ones (i.e., Surf, Waterfall, AND Dive, basically crippling your Water type until you all but clear the game). Cut is horrible because of that 95% accuracy - that 5% miss rate comes at the worst possible moments.

2. Rivals who are "friends." I'm not on this journey to "make friends." I'm on this journey to kick butt and take names. It doesn't help that most of them have the most awful (as in painfully annoying) personalities you could imagine. "We created another memory together!" Really? Who in real life says crap like that?

3. Random cameo appearances. This is why I hated the world tournament in B2/W2 so much, and why X/Y were a breath of fresh air (only Looker appears, and he actually has a good reason to be moving from region to region). Some characters I don't remember who they are, some I don't want to remember who they are, and 99% of the time their appearance feels tacked on and out of place.

4. Bizarre teams. Let's flood the land/dry up the oceans. Let's kill off everyone else and hit the restart button on the world. And to do this, let's try to get our hands on some legendary Pokemon whose power level we totally don't know, despite the risk of said Pokemon, I dunno, not obeying us and going crazy. That makes a whole lot of sense. [/sarcasm] At least Team Rocket operated more like a real-life Mafia organization, even if they used Rattatas and Zubats and dropped their Lift Keys...

5. End-game trainers who use weak Pokemon not in their final evolution stage. Need I name names?

6. "Do you want to switch <legendary> with another Pokemon in your party?" The answer is NO. The Pokemon on my team are ones I've been raising the whole game. Chances are, they outlevel said legendary by at least 10 levels. And chances are, I'm not going to want the new legendary to gain EV's in possibly useless stats through the boss battle that usually follows this question. And I don't use legendaries on my in-game teams anyway.

7. Scrolling through the bottomless bag. I would be most appreciative of bringing back the option to deposit items in the PC. No, I'm not going to toss items like the Macho Brace; they do serve a purpose. Just not during the main storyline. Why not give us the option to store them until we actually need them?

8. "You're the new Champion!" *15 minutes later* "Hey, guess what, I'm the Champion again!" I can see the Elite Four remaining the same; it's not like I'm taking one of their positions. But I'm supposed to be the new Champion. Need a fifth person for the Elite Four battles? There are a bunch of trainers sprinkled throughout Victory Road also trying to be Champion, would it be hard to have a revolving (or random) sequence of challengers for the title to confront you after beating the E4? Heck, if they start using decent rivals again, maybe they can show up among those challengers.

Okay, stepping off the soapbox now.

Years
    • Age 36
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 16, 2016
    Are you guys absolutely sure you know how running shoes work? I don't think you all understand the importance of tossing a pokeball. shot
    I whole - heartedly agree with a skip feature for that. I've been playing since Gen one, so I'm pretty sure I have the jist of things on that end.
    Pokemon variety has never been a problem for me, but I can see a few people's side on raising a rare pokemon at level 15 when everyone else on your team is pushing 70.
    The champion title for me always seemed weird. I mean, I won...so why is it the same person keeps sitting there each time I go back? I'd love for GF to up the ante and either have them challenge you for the title back, or have trainers from Victory Road attempt to take the title away

DoktorGilda

I will steal your lunch money
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2014
    Having to use HMs is pretty painful.

So is having to go through caves (especially if you don't have repel). It wasn't that bad in Gen 6 though!

Back