• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What kind of player are you?

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2013
    What kind of Pokemon player are you?

Serious player that considers a Pokemon's nature, EVs, IVs, movesets, and many others?
    Semi-Serious player that only considers a Pokemon's nature and does a bit of serious EV training to none?
    Casual player that only plays for fun?
    And many others.......

I'm a semi-serious player myself, probably due to my laziness to do too much EV training or understanding IVs.....Used to not care about natures and such, until I realized that almost all of my Pokemons' nature only bring disadvantages, like a calm Haxorus that I used to have. Still, I beat the game with it, got bored, and decided to pay more attention to these things.

What about you?

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Story - Casual; I mainly use bugs, which i find really fun and challenging at the same time. For me, that's casual. Serious stuff would be doing nuzlocke runs.

Breeding
    - semi-hardcore? I don't really aim for the "Perfect pokemon" (having good IVs). I'm fine with a proper nature. Breeding for Egg moves is also a passion. It's kinda nice to have those small little buggers sweep a horde of Dragons on their own.

Pokedex Completion
    - semi; sometimes i just feel like catching everything, sometimes I dont.

Training (for competitive gaming)
    - Hardcore, since you really need to think things through

Post-training
    - Casual; Win or loss, any team I build should end up fun either way.

I also plan to start hunting shinies just for fun, but that's geek mode. So yeah, I can't really say I'm all serious or all casual. But one thing's for certain: I always play for fun.

Last edited:

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I guess I could be a serious player, however nature, Effort and Individual Values don't really make that much of a difference when playing the story. When playing the story I focus on catching all Pokemon available. When battling others of course it's necessary to train Pokemon according to their abilities and your strategy.

I can't breed the perfect Pokemon but I can get a couple of perfect Individual Values on Pokemon with the help of a 'perfect Ditto' and a power item. I enjoy trading more than battling, but I like EV training Pokemon more than trading!

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I guess I'm a casual player through out the entire game. All I care is about having a good time and enjoying myself, and pretty much explore everywhere. For example, every time I get access to a new HM, I return back and explore everything I miss.

In one of my games I"m close to 200 hours and don't even have the 8 badges yet.

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
    Years
  • Can I be a hardcore casual player? XD
    But yeah I play pokemon a lot (and for a long time) but I hardly consider myself casual (nor pro).
    A quote I use a lot and take to heart:

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites" - Elite Four Karen

I use pokemon that I like, not because they are strong or reliable. I'm a sucker for cute pokemon which is why grass is and forever will be my favorite. I don't do ANY competitive battling I only play for the fun of assembling a cool (often themed/typed) team and beat the elite four. I find there is nothing more satisfying in the game than beating a Gym leader with pokemon that the gym leader is super effective against. For example beating Pryce the Ice Gym trainer with Bellossom only or morty with Vileplume using nothing but strategy in a uphill battle :)

I don't do Breeding, nature, IV, or EV training. I see pokemon as friends of the trainers and i'm a huge immersion freak so I like catching my first pokemon and keeping it and seeing it as my trainers friend and not his 20th tool to be discarded. Like if you think of it from a story perspective it sounds weird (at least to me) "the greatest trainer of all time Red bred 7 Bulbasaurs with a bunch of random pokemon to create the greatest Bulbasaur ever... he later released all the other random Bulbasaurs into the wild" it just doesn't sound right lol XD but yeah so really my only reason is for immersion.

Last edited:

Thergox

Average Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2014
    Well, I usually play for a relaxing and easy experience -- it isn't exactly the hardest game. Whenever I build a team, I usually pick what Pokemon look cool to me, regardless of stats :D It's kind of funny, because the teams usually work out either way. That said, dumb luck usually pushes me through harder things, but there are occasions where I get in the mood to go full-on and launch a more intricate method of training and what not.

I always enjoy the stories, because they know how to give the game more of a roller coaster ride than the basic "Go for the gold" journey. Sure, there are some better stories in other games, but the charm of Pokemon is enough for me.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I guess im pretty much a casual Player

Ive been playing Pokemon for over half my life and beaten every main game several times, but im usually too lazy to look for perfect IVs and the right nature.
    Recently though i started to get more and more into it, so i might even be a semi-serious trainer by now ^^

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Must choose Fire starter, even if I'm not going to use it. Thank you Hoenn and Sinnoh for not giving good alternatives.

Must have at least one Dark Pokémon in the team, unless impossible to catch before E4.

Pokémon with crap natures are discarded unless they're too rare and I can't be bothered to catch another one.

All male team (sexist I know). Mitigating this rule lately.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

lol. I've done this until Gen IV -- halfway through Gen III, actually.

I've been annoyed by Attract and Charm the most. It felt even worse than Confuse Ray spam. DX

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2013
    I used to do that too.....But recently, I was thinking some Pokemons are better as a female rather than a male. Owning a male Belossom or Mawile just seems a bit off for me :P

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    When I first started playing, I wasn't serious at all. It was kind of a time to experiment, try out new things and learn the basics. I didn't even know what all this IV and EV talk was about- so I played through the game very casually without considering natures and all that. I always used to think they were just this feature thrown on to personalise your Pokemon a tiny bit or for contests. I never really knew until about last year, honestly. Nowadays, when I have more experience under my belt, I guess you could say I'm a semi-serious player.

No, I don't stop for EV training since I've never actually considered doing competitive battling over Wi-Fi. Plus it takes too much time and effort, along with the fact that after a while it just gets a tad bit boring. With grinding, I'm hardcore. I get rather paranoid about underlevelled Pokemon which is a bad habit and start to grind at every route until I'm at least 5 levels above the nearest town's Gym Leader. While it does suck a bit of fun out of the game, it has become a rather bad habit that I can't stop. :[

Nature wise nowadays, I tend to be rather picky with them. I sometimes recatch Pokemon if I believe their nature is horrible but I've managed to live with Modest Heracrosses. Although I do try and be extra careful with Natures. I also care a tiny bit about Genders, but not that much.

Skull Kid

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Semi-Serious, if I were to care about something it would be two things, nature and stats. If I have something like an Adamant Abra obviously that's just going to hinder me in the future when it becomes an Alakazam. I want decent stats so I can kill and take hits more easily.

I still like to have fun with the game though, most of the time I wont even care to be honest. I guess that's why I'll never be competitive :P

nimbo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I play for fun. I pick the cutest Pokemon I can find and go from there.

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
    Years
  • I used to do that too.....But recently, I was thinking some Pokemons are better as a female rather than a male. Owning a male Bellossom or Mawile just seems a bit off for me :P

Yeah Kinda the opposite from you two, I tend to use mostly female because I tend to catch cute pokemon and grass pokemon and most of them look feminine. Like you said having a male Bellossom, Vileplume, cherrim, or roserade seems odd. I'm the type of person where I will only catch the gender of what the pokemon looks like, so no female machokes and no male Bellossoms.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Semi-serious mixed with casual. I like to ev train Pokemon that are my favorites but aren't really competitive, I don't care about IV's or natures much.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I spent most of my time shiny hunting, honestly.
    As for competitive battling, I do it online, but am pretty serious about it (though it's still fun, of course).

Normal playthroughs, though, just casual. I don't check IVs, EV train, or bother with natures. I try to make sure the moveset works with the stats, and that my team is balanced, but that's it.

As previously mentioned, I can be picky about whether my Pokemon is male or female- it has to be whichever it looks like. I'm very grateful that my shiny Ponyta turned out to be female. I:

Last edited:
    Years
  • I would say that I'm a semi-serious player- one that thinks about teams and movesets in advance in order to perform well, but I really don't pay attention to natures, EVs or the like. Since I don't do any sort of competitive battling, these things didn't matter to me much anyway, so I never bothered to start learning about them, when I was doing perfectly fine and having fun without them. As long as a Pokemon has a decent movepool and average or better stats, it's good enough for me.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • I'm definitely casual. I don't really like competitive battling, since so many people use the same Pokemon just because they're the best in their tier. I prefer using my favorites and having fun trying out different battle styles. After beating the game and any post-game stuff, I used to build a competitive team (which I still have), but I found battling this way to be tedious.

Back