• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What languages can you speak?

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
Years
  • My primary language is English, and unfortunately I'm not fluent in any other.

I know a good amount of Japanese when it's spoken, but I can't read it too well.
    Working on that. I'd also like to learn German, Korean, and Chinese. I love languages, if I were able to I'd willingly learn at least ten of them. XD;

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I am bilingual....trilingual if my Italian perfected a little more xD I can speak both English and Spanish fluently. If anyone has heard my voice, my accent jumps between both languages, so the "rr" sound comes out sometimes. xD

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    English - Obvious one.
    Khmer - Only a bit. Kind of sad that I forgot most of my own native language.
    Japanese - Not fluent, but I took 3 years of it in school.

:)

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I can speak fluent English since I was born here. XD; I can speak some Italian, Arabic, Macedonian and Turkish. :3 I've mostly learned it from friends and family.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • I can speak French, but it's normal since it's my native language.
    Then I also speak English pretty well I guess, but it's a little difficult for me to understand expressions or slang. Anyway, I always try to improve my English, I'd really like to live in America (even if I've a little trouble understanding american prononciation ^^') or in UK.
    I fairly speak Spanish, because I've got a really bad spanish teacher last year, and now I have to to catch up.
    And I know three or four word in Japanese, German (with a horrible pronounciation ! sorry german language to butcher you that way <3 I'll improve, I swear !) and Chinese.

oocyst

SOFTware
    Years
  • Dutch is my native language, so it's fluent. I consider my English to be fluent as well (I actually started learning English through Pokemon). I also speak a little bit of German, i've had it at school for 3 years and it's kinda similar to Dutch. I know a few french words, but I have a great sense of pronounciation so I can pretend I speak it :P I also know a bit of Norwegian.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • English since its my first language and since I am 50 percent Puerto Rican, I only know half Spanish because I feel that is all I need to know....j/k....I am also fluent in Spanglish and Black people Speech (which is a type of English where I live).

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    I only know English, but I have been working on trying to learn Japanese, I have a long ways to go before I could actually have conversations, written or not though.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I speak Finnish, off course 'cause it's my native language. I can also speak English and Swedish. I have studied English about 7 years and Swedish about 6 years. Sometimes when I'm thinking something, I translate it into English in my mind. It might sound little weird but I read and hear English everyday so... I want to learn Japanese and French someday.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    I want to learn Japanese and French someday.

What's stopping you..? :)

How I am trying to learn Japanese is first by learning Hiragana, the sounds each character makes, and how to draw... Start with the vowels and work your way down.

What languages can you speak?

The sounds from left to right are:

a="Ah" i="EE" u="OO" e="Eh" o="Oh"
    And you just add the sound of the consonant in front of it to get the sound of each character.
    Try to play games like Pokemon Green with Japanese text, and see what you can recognise, don't worry about definitions immediately, just try to pronunciate things...

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I don't speak many languages. English is my first language so I speak that fluently. I think my French is fairly passable considering I studied it up until university... but I'm much better at reading it (and writing it, I suppose) compared to speaking it. Lastly, I know a fair bit of Japanese. I can watch something and come away with the plot so long as the language in it isn't too technical and when I play video games in Japanese, I'm usually pretty decent at following along. I can't speak it though and I don't think I could write it from scratch or anything. But translating from Japanese to English isn't too difficult for me.

I'd really like to learn Mandarin but it seems really hard. I'm teaching myself the Korean alphabet and might get around to learning it eventually. I used to want to learn German but then some of my friends started learning it and it seems terrifying so I dropped that idea pretty quick. xD

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2013
    English is the only language I can speak fluently. I have to take Spanish class at school, and I can't speak it too well, but I can understand it pretty well.

I'm trying to teach myself German. Haven't made much progress with that yet...

Years
  • Only language I can speak fluently is English.

I used to know a decent amount about German, but since leaving school, my knowledge is very rusty. If you showed me some I might be able to understand a word or two. Shame. :(

WhiteExterior

Back from Beyond
    Years
  • Sadly, only English. I've tried learning Spanish and Chinese. I took the classes for a year but struggled badly.

Luckily I have very advanced English skills, so I suppose that's better than nothing. I do wish to someday learn a second language, though.

Years
  • ENGLISH.

I can also speak conversational Korean, Japanese, and Mandarin. I am working on all of these as well as French, Thai, and Spanish. I have a lot of expectations for myself.

Lara

<3
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    Umm..fluently? Only English. I know a little Spanish and Russian from the bits I garnered from my friends, lol. Only how to say 'hello' and 'bye' and 'stupid' and random things really.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • Well, other than English, I know more than enough Spanish/French/German/Japanese to get around. I grew up in a somewhat latino dominated area and Spanish was taught to us 2nd-12th grade, and I also took German in high school (one of my best friends is also native German and my family is half German). I have a lot of friends from Quebec so I naturally picked up a lot of French. I had a Japanese tutor in high school, too, for a few years, but we didn't offer it as a class. :(

Back