• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What languages can you speak?

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    English is my language of preference and although I come from the Philippines, I sometimes have difficulty speaking it fluently (though I can write it pretty well, with some effort XD). I'm also trying to learn Japanese as I watch Japanese anime and such although I recently kind of stopped trying to do so. I also know some of the basics of Chinese language since I have been to China several times for long periods. I also know some French (I have a handy French dictionary with me) and very little Spanish (I have a Spanish-English dictionary).

When I wanted to impress people, I used to simply use Google Translate and pretend I understand what their saying :P

How 'bout you? What languages can you speak? I'll be very impressed if I could see a real multilingual person here who has mastered at least 3 languages.... XD

Last edited:
    Years
    Despite having had constantly horrible grades in the school subject with the same name due to my complete and utter lack of talent when it comes to interpreting poems and literature, I can speak this flawlessly.

Here, I'm not quite as good. Well, writing and listening isn't too difficult for me anymore, but speaking... I don't speak English very well on a consistent basis. Sometimes I rightfully think it sounds good, other times I don't get a single word pronounced correctly. Usually, once I mispronounced one word and know that I did so, I'll get nervous and things will get worse and worse.

I'm probably better at consistently pronouncing things right en Français than in English, but my vocabulary and grammar skills are far, far inferior. I have to think a lot when attempting to form sentences but always seem to do something wrong.

I had one year of this at school. It's been a while, but I still remember some basics. Some common words, how to vaguely pronounce things, some numbers, that's pretty much it.

In these languages I know maybe 3-5 words. Latin is a bit better, here it's maybe 20 words plus some Asterix quotes.

Last edited:

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    Dia duit!

I haven't done French since my Junior exams aged 15, so I only really know some basic stuff and even that I've forgotten. I chose to give it up for my Leaving Certificate exams.

Irish I actually know the simpler stuff pretty well. I'm not fluent or anything but I can say enough to get by, if you see what I mean. We have an oral exam for our Leaving Cert. exams so thats probably why I've become better at speaking it recently ^.-

Last edited:

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    English. I know a little welsh, despite living in the capital of Wales (it's a dying language. ;.;) I should know some French from school, but it's all gone from my head to be honest.

I've always been interested in the Japanese language but I'm not dedicated enough to really bother learning any languages, despite wanting to. ;.;

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
    Squirretopian
    I know English as I live in the UK, and a few Japanese words from watching Anime in Japanese( although that don't count)

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    Only English and French (not fluently in French), but I am trying to learn Japanese and that's about it.
    I only really want to learn Japanese, so I don't have to watch anime with subs

Years
    I'm fluent in English and my Japanese is 悪くない since I've studied that in school and overseas. I also know un peu of French from high school, though that's mostly faded away.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    I speak Dutch and English. Though my pronunciation in English isn't that good. My French getting a bit rusty, I was fairly good at it in high school, able to have a regular conversation with somebody in French, but I haven't spoken any French in 2 years...

I can also understand some Spanish, but don't expect me to be able to reply anything back to you.

Ritzz

Bazinga
    Years
    English, that's basically it haha.

I know bits and pieces of all the languages they teach at school though, French, German, Spanish, Japanese.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Fluent in English and almost fluent in French. I can carry on a conversation with anyone in French without a problem, but idioms and slang are still lost on me. They don't teach us that in school. :( Although, I got my mom to teach me some French swears hehehe.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Dutch is my first language so obviously that's fluent and then English is my second which I've spoken and been around from a very young age so that's fluent too, then German a bit since we have that in school, but it's not like I can have a solid conversation with someone yet. And yeah bits and pieces of Japanese cause of anime but should I count that - not sure.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    The Spanish Constitution establishes that I must speak Spanish to properly obtain the Spanish citizenship so guess what? Yep, I speak Spanish XD

Also I have been studying English since I was 5 but I think that's slightly obvious.

Years
    Just English here and even that is deteriorating. Not the speaking aspect but the spelling and grammar. I got Yoshi correcting far too many mistakes of mine for my liking. I'm no good at learning foreign languages either.

Last edited:

Magdalena~

Feel the hnnnnggg
    Years
    Just English and Spanish. I "am learning" a bunch of languages, but Spanish is the only one that I know well enough to make it worth mentioning. Basically, while typing, my Spanish is perfect beyond having to look up some words that I don't know. I can understand almost anything written without looking words up. On the other hand, my speaking is terrible, and I have trouble understanding fast speech. Also I get very very nervous while speaking and mix my words up easily, and once I make one grammar mistake, it is completely over because I just keep making more and more.

I'm getting good at French and Italian. My French used to be terrible, but I'm learning very many of the concepts and words faster and better than before, so big improvements. My Italian and French are at the point where I could write or type reasonably well, given a good amount of time to respond, and the ability to look up many words.

I love all languages and have tried to learn many.

Leavanny

YOU S3T MY SOUL 4L1GHT
    Years
    English and a little Dutch. I used to speak fluent Dutch, but, having moved to the UK a decade ago, there wasn't much (well, any) need to speak in any language other than English. Over the years, I guess I just forgot the majority of it, which is going to suck if I ever end up going back to Belgium.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I speak English since I live in Australia and enough French to be passable. My French has gone rusty in the last three years since I graduated, but I spent five years learning it in high school (foreigners please note that high school is six years in Australia, I didn't have to repeat grades :P) and came top of my class each year, so I think I could pick it back up again fairly quickly. They say you never lose it once you have it...

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    Well, I can say that I have mastered at least two. My native language, Tagalog from the Philippines, and of course, English. Those are the languages I just know. I prefer using ggogle translate.

Back