• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What name do you give your Player in Pokemon Games, your real name or some other name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
    When I was a kid, it was usually "Legend" and any opposite character (in Pokemon's case, rival) was "Shadow" after my best friend's nickname for me and mine for him. After "LilBueno" stuck online, I've chosen "Bueno" for every game name. As a joke to myself, I'll name a rival "Malo."

The only exception is while I'm learning how to hack Firered, I chose Ryo for Red and Rika for Blue since those will be the names of the protagonist and rival for my hack, respectively.

Sirfetch’d

I always go with Ben. I used to play as Ash and name myself after him but I haven't done that in years. Man that takes me back.

However, it appears we've already got a topic on this pretty recently, so I'm going to merge the two together. :)

Merged

I used to always name myself Ash and my rival Gary so I could be just like the anime 8(

Now I am boring and just name myself Chase

Years
    In most of my games, I have used my first or middle name as the name of the character.
    In a Nuzlocke, I usually use a name fitting the theme I have for naming my Pokemon.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    As I always play as the female character I can't really use my real name.

The names I have used have been Helena, Kim, Rose, Stephanie and Paige. I think I will use Paige for future playthroughs as I really like the name.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I use my nick name for my trainer. My nick name is Kaiyu.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
    Most of the time, I use my real name which is Alice. But I sometimes call myself Blaze or Sakura and I used to call myself Dragon.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
    Canon names.

Examples:
    In my Omega Ruby file, male protagonist - Brendan.

In my X file, female protagonist - Serena.

In my Y file, male protagonist - Calem.

In my White file, male protagonist - Hilbert.

Etc. etc. etc. all the way back to RBY/FireRed/LeafGreen, character is good ol' Red.

Edit: Wow, I'm rather amazed. I looked through all the responses and no one does this, haha.

But yeah, basically in all my core series games the protagonist uses his/her canon name.

Years
    In my main copies of Pearl, White 2, X and Omega Ruby, I named myself Scott, which is my real name. But when it comes to challenges and other adventures I basically go with any name I feel like using.

Katchelina

"...I hope a gentle light of hope will remain."
    Years
    Depends on the game and point of my life I started the game. I am a female and I prefer to play as one too.
    The exact name has changed but all had meaning to me in real life.
    In the gen 3 and pmd 1 games I used Flare.
    In gen 4 I used Pureza and my actual nickname Kate
    In gen 5 and Pokemon X and a few ther games and sites I use Ziresia
    And in oras and on most sites I use Katchelina(not my actual name despite my nickname above) which I will probably stick to as it has the most meaning to me of all of them.

If I have to be male I usually use Shadow(like it as a name) or Xerxes(my fav character from my fav series; Pandora Hearts)

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Since 1st gen, If I pick a male PC I name them after myself(Which is every PC pre-Crystal), if I play female(usually do when I buy both games of a pair to see any possible dialogue differences) I just use their default name.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
    I go off a nickname based on my real name. My IRL name is Jesus, pronounced Heh-Soos. I used to write out Heh-Seuss as in my all time favorite author, except his name was pronounced Soice, not Soos. It's just the American accent pronounciation that people refer to him as Dr. Seuss. Likewise, with my name people pronounce Jesus as Gee-Sus. Or they try to pronounce Jesus with a Hispanic pronounciation, Heh-Soos, but they mispronounce it with an American pronunciation and it comes out as, Hey-Soos. I kinda like that pronounciation so I went with it. My nickname then became HeyZeus.

I also prefer Electric type pokemon usually so the Zeus thing works. He's the god of lightning (thunder?) and it is also associated with a Religious power figure (God Complex much?). It's more or less pronounced the same too. It's just something that I've rolled with for a while now and it's grown on me.
    Extra tidbit of information, I named my rival in an SS playthrough HiHades as an inside joke between me, myself, and I. And now with you :]

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
    Years
    I don't like my real name, so I never use it. I usually name my character after a pseudonym that I like, which is usually a name that starts with C or just Shaymin, which is what my close friends call me. Sometimes it's Claire, sometimes it's Charlotte (my preferred name), but my player character will always be female.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
    I've only given my character my real name once, but that file was eventually deleted when I played through the game a second time. I generally never give my trainer (or protags in other video games that let you name your character) my real name because I find it a little awkward to do so and don't like my birth name at all. So instead, I always name my trainer/Mystery Dungeon protagonist after the internet aliases I use! Not only does it feel better, but it makes me feel like a part of the game without completely projecting myself onto my character, either; I like to imagine them as being completely separate from me, with their own personality, etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back