• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What sparked your initial interest in Black and White?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    When Black and White were first announced, there were many mixed reactions. Many people were excited for a fifth generation, yet some (even myself) didn't really care and would rather if there wasn't a fifth generation.

Think back to that time, what made you interested in the upcoming games?
    Was it the Pokemon you first saw? Was it the fact that everybody else was excited? Or maybe it was the 3D features, or something along those lines?

Or! Were you one of those people who became interested in the games a little while after they were announced?
    If so, what was it due to, the Pokemon being released, the speculation, the hype, etc.

Note: If you aren't excited/interested in the games at all, post your reasons why in the pros and cons discussion thread, because this thread is only for those who are excited, or interested in Black and White.

As for me, I didn't really care about the games when they were first announced. I think the main thing that got me interested in was probably speculating here in this forum. With endless possibilities of what we thought could happen, I became interested in each new feature and Pokemon announced and eventually excited for the games as a whole.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years

• I first became excited when I first saw the pokemon. I was a little excited when it was announced and when Zorua was revealed, but then it all died down and I forgot about it for a while. Then as more details started to be released I got more involved with what was happening and joined in speculation at Serebii. Then I joined PC looking for a better thread/forum to discuss in and it was all the speculating here that really got me excited. Mainly the pokemon and characters sparked my attention, and started to love discussing the character and pokemon art more than speculating.

And I am still really excited and there are so many things I know I haven't noticed yet, so I am forever searching every tiny detail on Black and White.

The Red Chain

Well, I initially thought that the B&W games were going to suck eggs. :x
    I mean after the bull they called the 4th generation, I had no high expectations for gen 5 whatsoever. What really caught my eye was the day when Zorua and Zoroark were first revealed. I thought to myself, "Omg, if gen 5 Pokemon came out looking that great, this generation may actually not suck!". So, after that I took interest.
    The screen shots all caught my eye but the only thing I didn't like was how.. industrial the whole thing looked. Got over it after I saw how the rest of the Isshu region looked though. Beautiful. <3 The names were revealed and I can't say I was happy at first, but they quickly grew on me since I love the concept of the pigments.

The starters were revealed and I was finally hooked. Sold. Gone. XDD
    Later on down the line I took so much interest in gen 5 that I stumbled upon this forum to post a little, and now I'm here till it's death and maybe even longer after! I even got my own copy of White which I told myself I wasn't going to do when they announced that there would be a 5th generation.. before everything else was revealed. Took it all back of course!
    How the heck could I say no when every bit of news brought me closer and closer to the games?
    They sure ninja'd me.

Gotta love Black & White. <3

tobi-ksla

Years
  • Think back to that time, what made you interested in the upcoming games?

What first got me interested in Black and White was Touko. The fact that she's supposed to be older than the previous protagonists makes is somewhat worthwhile.

Skitty123

Alice Cullen
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2012
    i got excited with all the good graphics.
    i mean they went a little overboard in some parts

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I was excited simply to see the 5th Generation Pokemon in its entirety but the graphics wowed me right away. I'd say a combination of the Pokemon designs and the games general graphics.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I got interested when the games were announced. Especially when they started to give out information. The thing that made me excited? Maybe the starters and the improved battle graphics. Triple battles and more Pokémon did the same thing too.

Years
    Nothing really specific. Any new Pokemon game makes me excited. :D Except Pokemon Ranger. >O

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What got me into B/W is the new Pokemon. I wanted to see how good they are in battle, and how they mesh with the older ones. I was also excited for new, interesting designs that GF would come up.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • I liked Zorua and Zoroark when they were revealed, but it was the promise of reviving the series in a fresh way that piqued my interest. After I saw how clean the interface was, the HIGHLY ANTICIPATED inclusion of seasons, and the starters, I fell in love.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • Obviously, I was interested in Black and White because they were Pokemon games. I was also excited because I wasn't around for the beginning of the third and fourth generations, and it would be the first time I'd get to experience a new generation (and therefore Pokemon, region, and characters) since its announcement.

Years
  • I got excited first because it was the new generation and it was 3d. then i got more excited when I found out how different they were gonna be.

but I didn't get REALLY excited till I found out they are way better than d/p/pl. after those I was thinking the pokemon games were starting to fail on me and go downhill but that doesn't seem to be the case :)

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Well, new region, new generation... New everything, actually. Better graphics, new gym leaders and Pokemon, the storyline is different... Something new to play wanted me interested in Black and White.

Years
  • I became excited about these two games because of the new region. Being far away from the other four, it sparked my interest. Also, with Zurua and Zoroark being released first, I became interested in seeing the other new pokemon designs.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    Two things really. The Grass starter (could possibly be my favourite starter in terms of look and style) and the inspired move to get these games as far away from the previous ones as possible, so it can be a bit more unique in a way (I love Kanto, but it's gotten over-relied on in the past).

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    Think back to that time, what made you interested in the upcoming games?
    Nothing really specific. Any new Pokemon game makes me excited. :D Except Pokemon Ranger. >O

Too true. Any news of a new Pokemon game, without the word "Ranger" in the title, is exciting.

Years
  • I think what most caught my attention was the season thing. When I read about it I started telling everyone about it like a 5 year old.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • What really got me interested was the improved graphics in the game. Also, I already know what starter I'm going to choose when I first start the game (Snivy). And the 3-pokemon battles? I find that impressive.

Back