• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What would you add to Pokemon Scarlet/Violet or other future Pokemon Releases?

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2023
    Hi everyone!

So I'm currently in the middle of a university digital artefact project and I'd like to ask a question to you all regarding future Pokémon releases. For this project, I am comparing Pokémon Sword/Shield with a Pokémon fangame (Pokémon Rejuvenation) and theorizing what could be added to future Pokémon releases, that a journalism-type article. I want to add some community response to my project so my question is this:

If you could add any new feature (gameplay, story-related, graphical) into future instalments of the mainline Pokémon series, what would you add?

The feature you'd like to add can be taken from a different RPG you have played, a Pokémon fangame or it could have been already announced to be found in Scarlet/Violet. I won't be to picky.

I just really would like to add some community perspective into my project to broaden my research and I will make sure to keep all responses from this post anonymous in my article.

Thank you!!

Note: I have also posted this question to the Pokemon subreddit so don't feel obligated to answer if you have already answered that question on Reddit

papper

pikachu clone
    Years
  • this isn't a big mechanic but I think it'd be cute if you could give your pokemon accessories. just like a bow or necklace that can show off a bit of their personality in and out of battle.

Years
  • It's not something that would really change the game, but more detailed box arts in the future. I'm sickn and tired of seeing the box art legendary on a simple background and it would be cool if there were illustrations used for box arts of mainline Pokemon games.

Years
  • I think some kind of branching storyline that changes based on some of your decisions could be really interesting, though I'm a bit hesitant about the idea just because one of my least favorite things about most of the Pokemon games, but especially the last few generations, has been the unnecessary about of "story" content which mostly amounts to far too many long, boring, pointless cutscenes in between gameplay sections that really break up the pace. I think if something like this were to be implemented, I would also hope that the story could be somewhat interesting and not so slow paced, which might be asking a bit too much from Gamefreak.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Great question!

Become a gym leader – The Alola games already introduced the neat feature of becoming champion and being able to defend your title and the Galar games expanded upon it by making your character the one to beat in the tournaments, but I would love for the feature of becoming a gym leader during post-game, where you can choose the type of gym you want to run and type of Pokémon you want to use (similar to restricted sparring in Pokémon Sword and Shield), choose a level range, and have NPC trainers challenge you in a similar way to battle facilities. If you win, you could earn more money. If you lose, then you have to give that NPC one of your badges.

Better communication features – Despite Pokémon being able to go online, when you battle people, you have no real way of communicating with the people you battle. Instead, you can only hope to communicate with those that you already know or met through programs such as Skype or Discord. This needs to change.

Early judge feature
    – I believe players should always be able to check their Pokémon's IVs even from the start of the game, not after beating the Champion and traveling to a battle facility.

More battle facility features – Considering that Pokémon Sword and Shield finally removed their restrictions on Pokémon in battle facilities, I hope for more features that could be added to battle facilities, such as mini-games featuring your Pokémon, multiplayer modes, maybe something like a Little Cup competition, and other features to make it more similar to Pokémon Stadium games.

Voice acting – I believe in 2022 and beyond, Pokémon should move beyond the rather outdated text box speech and add voice acting, similar to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Even if they can't do it for every single NPC, they could at least do it for the game's cutscenes.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Difficulty options. Means more than just Easy, Normal, and Hard. Includes Monotype, Nuzlocke, randomization, and other challenges in an official capacity. Also requests features common to some of those, such as level and item limit options. Could add less common things like Base Stat restrictions and No Evolutions too.

Edit: A similar thread: Do you have a wishlist for future games?. Will keep this thread around, though, due to the nature of this thread.

Last edited:

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • It's not something that would really change the game, but more detailed box arts in the future. I'm sickn and tired of seeing the box art legendary on a simple background and it would be cool if there were illustrations used for box arts of mainline Pokemon games.

This! I'm not a fan of overly cluttered box artworks either, but something like what they did for the Let's Go games would be a good compromise - having an entirely new illustration that highlights the "feel" of the game instead of just the artwork. Not to mention... highlight the starters rather than the Legendaries, like in Generation I and its remakes. I'm not as interested in the Legendaries anymore, but I'd love it if interest in the games from casual fans came from seeing the Pokémon that you'll be spending the rest of the game with (or not). This is also a huge problem with fan games, by the way - and I believe that one of the reasons I was inclined to try Xenoverse over other fan games was the focus on the Starter Pokémon.

Speaking of fan games, I'd love it if the canon games took themselves a teensy bit less seriously while at the same time having a compelling story. I'm not saying they should become like, say, Clover or any of those crass fangames, just that I'd like the comedy to be smarter.

Years
  • I can't think of everything off the top of my head but:

- Fast forward option for battling (animations off helps but it could be better)
    - Difficulty options
    - Branching story that changes depending on dialogue selections
    - Adjust encounter rate (no encounters, low encounters, normal, high encounters, very high encounters for example)
    - More in-depth character customization, such as height customization, body type, more hair and face options, etc
    - Skip cutscenes (for replaying)

There are a lot more things I'd like to see but these features are pretty big and make me enjoy games a lot more!

Back