• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Legends: Arceus] What would you rate this game on a scale of 1-10?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
  • Originally I wasn't so sure about the game when I first started. And I still think it is overly praised a little. But now that I have played it myself, I will give it a 6.5 out of 10.

Catching so many pokemon is still very boring. However, originally I thought we had to finish every challenge for every pokemon to get Lv 10 Research for each pokemon. But we only have to do like 10 tasks give or take a few. So that helped drastically.

The story was kinda boring and bland until we got to the story after the Five Nobles. After that, it got much better. Throughout the entire game, we should have been learning small things ever so often. Most of the time it was do this, do that and then maybe we got some story elements. I believe the Diamond Clan was largely shafted. They didn't have any character dev like Pearl. Arezu had the most and I loved her character. But Adaman didn't change at all and the story just felt very very one sided. It was obvious that the writers cared more about the Pearl clan and little if any about the Diamond. Even Adaman didn't learn that it wasn't always about time. You could have omitted the entire Diamond Clan from the game and it would have very little impact.

I think there should have been more trainer battles. It is obvious from dialogue that Trainers were around. Pokemon were being used by humans and the timeline just felt a bit disjointed. Humans shouldn't have been so afraid of pokemon, especially bidoof and starly. And the Guards should have known how to battle.

Now for the more technical aspects. Braviary has terrible controls. Basculegion riding was just eh... it made catching pokemon far more difficult in the water. And then we couldn't even use Pokeballs while using Braviary and Wyrdeer. Air travel was just useless in most cases especially when you have to constantly demount and remount because you can't get Braviary to rise. And then when we got in the air, it just was kinda dull. I was expecting to see a lot more flying pokemon, but there were barely any pokemon that fly, and we still had to get on some high cliff and hope our timing was right to catch those pokemon. The lack of any type of online play other than trading was dumb. Especially when trading is kinda useless in the game. In a game about catching pokemon, there should have also been better options for the pasture and organization. There should have been a minimap or at the very least a compass.... How do you make a game about exploring and not add a compass to the UI.

Graphics, I really don't mind them. Yeah they could have been better if you compare them to games like BotW and Splatoon, but I don't think that was a big issue for me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    8/10

Great and very fun game to play. I really enjoyed its gameplay (I'm in post-game now) and the way it combines real time exploration and Pokémon interactions while still keeping the turn-based combat. It works great for me, and without a doubt I enjoyed this game a lot more than many of the main games, especially than Sword/Shield.

It has an interesting and rewarding gameplay flow. It rewards exploring and doing side-quests, and it makes doing research and filling Pokédex entries more fun. It also revamps some of the annoying grindy aspects from the main games such as how IVs and EVs work.

Main issues:
    Story has a lot of wasted potential. I had read somewhere that this had a more mature story, well, mature my... We went from ten years old kid singlehandely beating evil organization and saving the region while also becoming champion, to 15 years old amnesic kid who comes from the future to save the region simply because he/she is told to. It's more of the same, the main character is the hero who has to do everything and every other character are just useless humans who only exist either to provide info for the player or to be a temporary obstacle.

And the Pastures organization, self-explanatory I guess... Other than that, amazing game.

I also think the Pokémon roster could have been better, including a few more Pokémon from other gens. I get that Hisui is the medieval Sinnoh, but come on, it's not literal Sinnoh when you include mons like Stantler, Basculin, Growlithe, Bergmite, etc. that don't exist in the modern Sinnoh dex. So I don't get why they had to include every Sinnoh Pokémon in this, instead of adding some more variety from other gens. Pokémon like Rotom and Porygon just don't fit with the setting.

Jessler

PidgeyFox
    Years
  • Maybe 7/10? On one hand, it is a fun new innovation on the formula. On the other, it still looks like trash, plays like trash, and quite honestly is empty. The story is almost nonexistent until the end of the game, and even then the actual ending is locked behind completing your Pokedex. There are a lot of QoL fixes that should be implemented that aren't, and the battle system is a bit simplistic. Overall I think the idea is great, but it certainly doesn't feel like something I would ever play again after having completed it, and replayability is important in a Pokemon game. Unfortunately, you've seen most there is to see after one playthrough.

Years
  • As a proof of concept, that Pokemon can do something different, I think it's a great game.

It has one mechanic that I really hope stick around. Being able to switch out moves at will is lovely. It's just a shame that battling isn't really the core of the game so you never need to really need to use it. Imagine the creativity it would allow for your casual pokemon player in the main games.

I also liked that it's Dark Souls.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    It has one mechanic that I really hope stick around. Being able to switch out moves at will is lovely. It's just a shame that battling isn't really the core of the game so you never need to really need to use it. Imagine the creativity it would allow for your casual pokemon player in the main games.

They probably added that mechanic to facilitate research tasks rather than for actual battling purposes, since sometimes you need your Pokémon to relearn a specific move that you may not really want it to have, but you need it to speed up its dex entry completion. This is a cool mechanic I liked too, but I guess it could be a bit broken for the main games, imagine being able to adjust move sets at will inbetween Elite Four battles or things like that.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'll give it a 6/10.

I really liked the first 2-3 areas. I probably spent most of my time going through these ones in particular. Area 3 did a couple things that really opened things up. But it also threw me for a loop only to disappoint at the end by reinforcing the status quo of the formula they were running. I sure would have appreciated if they actually gave us a final boss fight in an area that didn't end up being another noble fight. The whole ghost thing felt very promising and I really hoped they would have done something with that.
    I also don't like how the last two mounts didn't really add much outside of convenience. Up until the third mount you could go back to a previous area and do some more exploring as some parts where still off limits at that point. Climbing only really felt useful in the fourth area and the reason why we couldn't climb a certain spot in area 5 felt kinda arbitrary. Flying is convenient but sometimes a little awkward. I also don't get why gaining height isn't an option. They already invisible-walled all directions. It would have been a simple task to add one more for that (ignoring that I'm not a fan of these walls, either).

The graphics are ok for a Pokemon game, I guess. "Ok" as in "better than previous games".

Years
  • Solid 8/10 for me. There are definitely things I was surprised didn't exist that I would have loved to have for convenience - like a search for alphas button in the pastures, for example, or auto-sort Pokémon by # etc. I wished these features existed quite a few times and it did, albeit slightly, lower the score.

My main issues were the underwhelming graphics for character expressions/movement/actions. Going from your neutral face to :O all of a sudden looked silly pretty much every time. The lack of proper animations for any actions, like building camps or having festivals, really seemed odd at points. I understand they were on a deadline and outsourced a ton of work as it is, but I did want to see a little more of the world in proper motion.

Gameplay was a ton of fun. Catching and completing the dex in this way was very enjoyable and I had so much fun going around exploring. The final trainer battle was quite tough and battling Arceus was also very hard. I enjoyed it. I also loved the lore and new characters introduced (especially Cogita).

Definitely could have been improved in many ways, but overall I loved it and am really looking forward to another game in this style.

Years
  • Corveone said:
    They probably added that mechanic to facilitate research tasks rather than for actual battling purposes, since sometimes you need your Pokémon to relearn a specific move that you may not really want it to have, but you need it to speed up its dex entry completion. This is a cool mechanic I liked too, but I guess it could be a bit broken for the main games, imagine being able to adjust move sets at will inbetween Elite Four battles or things like that.

True, although they could just lock it's use at certain points like the E4. I could absolutely see it being a smartphone app which doesn't have signal where the E4 are placed or something like that. It's essentially just a more optimised version of the move relearner afterall. Having it more front and centre makes one of the cooler things about Pokemon games, team and move composition, more accessable.

Raj

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Going to give it a 9 out of 10 for myself.

It's easily my favourite Pokemon game of all time now, beating out all of the various fan games, and Colosseum and Firered which were my prior favourites who had the power of nostalgia on their side.

I thought that it's weakest aspects were how it's story tried to keep the standard ideas that your protagonist, is a nicer person than the antagonistic and that we are "special" for battling with our Pokemon, when if anything I felt like I was likely just as bad if not worse as a Pokemon user than Volo.

Quite honestly I was rapidly swapping through Pokemon throughout the game, as the mechanics heavily encourage you to, and really no Pokemon was completely safe from being potentially released when I got an Alpha/Higher LV of the same Pokemon, even if it had been with me for awhile.

The overall messages and filling the town with Pokemon through side-quests were the story I really enjoyed, and really whenever our protagonist wasn't being brought up as an example, I really liked the overall simple world-building.

Going back to Gameplay I thought the idea of being a researcher rather than a battler would annoy me, but 300 hours in, I'm still diligently working on completely perfecting the Pokedex, and if I ever feel a need for battling at the end game Level, I can always simply go to battle square.

I do personally think it'd be better to have it available earlier with more varied trainers, but I understand every single one of them is an actual NPC you meet.

Arceus has it's flaws for sure, one of the biggest being no natural organization or sorting for your hoards of Pokemon in your pasture, and I can absolutely see people's points on replayability.

On one hand, this game will undoubtedly take the title of longest played Pokemon game in one save file, but I also highly doubt I'll ever replay it.

Going through it once, with a completionist mindset is likely enough, maybe I might come back in a few years for a very different playthrough, but I'm honestly not sure I want to.

The closest I'm considering, is seeing if I have any low levels that still need their moves mastered rather than mostly high levels, and simulating another playthrough, by just using them and going through the earlier areas with no mounts to re-explore with the mindset I had early on of not spamming mounts at almost all times.

While there were a lot of tweaks I wish I could make to the game, I think overall I'm really happy I played.

Years
    • They/them
    • Seen Sep 9, 2022
    I'm going to be "that one person" and give this a 4/10...perhaps a 6/10 in the context of the series and what it brings to the series, but I don't think Pokemon should be viewed in isolation when there are so many games out there now that do what it does and often does it better or at least just as good...and when this game, like so many other open world titles (although I suppose this isn't strictly open world) completely misses the point of what makes open world design and gameplay features work.

I'll put it under a spoiler so nobody has to read it because I realise it's an unpopular stance to take, but...well.

Spoiler:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • 8.7/10. I think these games are really good, and took Pokemon in a different direction. But some of the game can be really frustrating, like blacking out and losing items that you'll likely not be able to get back. I do think these games are a stepping stone for future Pokemon games and these were a test to see how a mostly open world game would fare before making Pokemon fully open world. I like the difficulty of this game, it makes you really think, but I wish that the bosses weren't so difficult. I'm not good at dodging.

But, I do think these games were amazing, and there's a lot to do, but sometimes it can be infuriating.

Years
  • For me personally it's 9/10, I've been enjoying it so much, it's just so much fun and I never imagined there being a Pokémon game like this before. I still love the main series Pokémon games but this is a really fun change. I think the graphics could be better and there could maybe be a little more to Jubilife village or more villages throughout the Hisui region, but overall I've really been enjoying it. I love the alpha Pokémon, they're something new to collect. This game has been a bigger challenge for me than any other Pokémon game I've played and I really like that about it.

Back