• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Whatever happened to... Cartoon Network?

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    I know some people like the new CN, but for the people who saw the old Cartoon Network, what happened? What happened to the old shows?

I mean, we had some great cartoons like Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, Ed, Edd, n' Eddy, Powerpuff Girls, ect... Friday nights used to be days in which I would want to come home from school, go to my room and turn on the TV to watch some decent cartoons. But now... we have all of these... reality shows. What happened? Cartoon Network should not have ever introduced reality shows. Quoting from someone on Youtube, I don't remember who, but if I find out, I will edit this. 'What happened to the days where we used to watch TV to escape reality, not... watch it.'

I mean, seriously. The only good show on CN is Courage the Cowardly Dog, and that rarely plays... well, other than the Adult Swim block, but I'm talking about the daytime stuff.

There is stuff on Boomerang, but I miss the days in which I would turn on the TV on a friday afternoon, and watching new episodes of decent cartoons.

Megas XLR for example... That was a funny show, and I can't really find it past episode 3 on the internet. It had great humor, and had some good action in it as well. Some will disagree with me, but this is my opinion.

Now, CN got rid of the Cartoon in it. Everything's slowly becoming 'Live Action'. It's sad, really. And they also cancelled Toonami, which was a big part of Cartoon Network back in the day... well, now it is just a shell of what it used to be... a lot like Disney and Nickelodeon are now.

The cartoons that are on now are pretty bad when compared to some of the past cartoons. Chowder is okay, compared to what they have on now, but Flapjack... no, just no.

RIP Cartoon Network... maybe someday you will come to your senses... but until then, we have to deal with... CN.

Please, tell me what you think of the new CN... is it good? Better than the old CN? My answers, personally, are no to both, but I want to hear from you.

AuraAshley

Wê'll §†å¥ £ðrêvêr †hï§ wå¥
    Years
    hey man i agree completly Cn has turned out to be a real let down lately =/

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I used to enjoy the CN shows, like Ed, Edd, and Eddy, Dexter's Lab, I R Weasel, Cow and Chicken, and Johnny Bravo. Those were the shows that made the network for me. I don't even turn to Cartoon Network anymore, unless I am watching [adult swim]. They've got that ridiculous show about teenagers who sit in a mall all day, and then Chowder. That's just annoying. >:

But I will say that Flapjack is a pretty decent show compared to the rest. :> But I'd still rather have my old shows back. I always wanted to know if Dexter revealed his lab to his parents. I dunno if they ever made a movie about it, but I guess they might've. I should look into that.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    I pretty much considered it dead when Toonami was canceled... I don't know what happened, but the channel has really gone down the crapper lately.

Oblivion Reaper 2.0

Not Dead Yet
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Hell
    • Seen Jun 15, 2011
    Chowder is basicly FlapCrap except with food instead of Pirates
    6teen,TDA,TDI,Secret Saterdays,and Ben Ten plus Bakugaun are good shows

Chibi Buizel

Where the heck is the airport?
    Years
    Yeah, the old shows were the best. Now, hey're just coming out with crap (although TDI, TDA, and 6Teen aren't half bad). The only good thing on that channel now is Adult Swim.

Years
    All you people saying that it's gotten worse, consider this. Perhaps you just grew up? =| I used to enjoy CN's programming, but upon watching it now it seems overly childish and, frankly, bad.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    I have watched Ben 10 with my cousin (7) and the show isn't that bad. But the older shows are still much better than what they show now. Most of the new ones I can't stand to watch.

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
    I guess the cartoons we grew up with just don't appeal to the youth of today. You'll just have to find them somewhere else.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
    I hated CN after Toonami got canceled, since there was no more Naruto. (Without using the internet)

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    @Camisado: Maybe... maybe you're right. I always considered that possibility... however, the kids today might not even know too much about the cartoons of yesteryear outside of Fusionfall, and wouldn't bother looking them up, thinking the new cartoons are better.

Cartoons aside, there is another thing that, to me, seems to be the thing that will kill it... The fact that they're getting rid of the 'Cartoon' in their name by putting reality shows on. That pretty much means that it is going down the road MTV did, reality shows. That's the thing I hate most about CN now. Even a bad cartoon is still a cartoon, and if it's on CN, it has a home... until it's cancelled. But a reality show? No. That's like an insult to it's name. Cartoon Network. What's so hard to understand about that? Are the ratings so low that they need to resort to reality shows? Whether or not they're good will most likely determine what happens next to the network, which is sad.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    I don't really mind all the new shows, heck, some of them are pretty funny. I just wish CN would still keep airing the old ones instead of shoving them to Boomerang. But since all I have is local cable now, I can't complain.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Cripes, I could rant forever about this, but I'll try not to. Also, as a heads up, I respect others' opinions, as everyone has different tastes, I'm just simply stating my own.

Though the statement that we, the watchers of the old Cartoon Network (and Nick and Disney, for that matter) 'grew up' has its merit, and that it's certainly true that they're marketing to the newer batch of kids and not us older people, I can't help but be bothered by the whole thing.

It all started with that Foster's monstrosity. I remember before it came out, when they were advertising for it, and it seemed like it might be interesting. But then that premier episode thing was aired, and I couldn't sit through it at all. It was awful. I felt irritable whenever it was simply on in another room 'cause one of my brothers was watching it. I don't mean to offend anyone, but it seems that show and most of the new stuff is just a bunch of obnoxious ADHD sugar-high nonsense, laced with "Oh look this is funny 'cause it's random!" bull crap. I honestly feel sorry for parents whose kids watch some of the junk they have these days (this goes for all 3 channels). This is part of why I don't want kids. That's how terrible children's entertainment has become these days (in my opinion at least).

I remember the 'Cartoon Cartoons' they used to have, and remember how they changed some of them (like Dexter and Johnny Bravo) to the point where they lost their charm, and then phased all of them out. Getting rid of Toonami was the straw that broke the camel's back.

To be honest I haven't watched TV or had cable at all since I moved out almost 2 years ago (because I don't find it necessary), so I'm basing this on what had happened up to that point, and things I've heard about since then/glimpses of the situation on TVs at other people's places.

I could continue on about the other two channels ro go more in-depth, but I think I ought to stop now ._.;;

Years
    Even when I was younger, CN bored me to the limit of turning the TV off.

I found, most of, the shows to be highly boring and not entertaining. :/

Just my personal opinion.

Wulf

Am I kawaii know? Uguu~
    Years
    Tweens happened. They are a bigger market, and they get more money from these disgusting little creatures. Fortunely, CNReal flopped. But it still has many **** shows. There only good shows on are Chowder, but that one is getting "cancelled", Flapjack, but is gonna get "cancelled" by the end of the year. There was Transformers, but that ended. Now all we got is Batman: Brave and Bold. While not as good as Batman: The Animated series, it's still great.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    All you people saying that it's gotten worse, consider this. Perhaps you just grew up? =| I used to enjoy CN's programming, but upon watching it now it seems overly childish and, frankly, bad.
    While true there is no denying the ammount of crap made these days for the kids is a bit too kiddy. I wanna know how many times a day a joke about farts is made.

level.

Forgot about user titles
    Years
    Chowder, but that one is getting "cancelled"

What!! I love that show! What a shame.
    Flapjack isn't all that good though.

Honestly, I despise Courage the Cowardly Dog. There's absolutely nothing funny.

Well, it's a good thing I don't and can't watch CN anymore.

Back