• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] What's your favorite gen 8 Pokémon?

Years
  • I'm not gonna bother even going into that as you seem to have your nostalgia goggles on or something and are turning a blind eye to a lot of things lol
    I see little point in continuing this discussion.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    I'm not gonna bother even going into that as you seem to have your nostalgia goggles on or something and are turning a blind eye to a lot of things lol
    I see little point in continuing this discussion.

Then don't. Why should I care?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    1.) Gen 1 had like 2-4 Pokemon that didn't look like real animals. That's not "plenty" outta 150 especially when the others strikingly resemble real animals on a level that gen 7 & 8 simply do not.
    there's definitely more than 4 and that's pretty easy to see when looking at the OG 151

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    there's definitely more than 4 and that's pretty easy to see when looking at the OG 151

How many more than 4? (Voltorb line, Magnemite line, Grimer line, maybe just a few others). I bet not decisively more enough for me to recant my sentiment. 150 is a lot more than what they put out now and with the majority of those 150, you can easily deduce which animal the Mon is based off the second you look at it or even solely off when you see/hear its name. In the newer gens, (or at least just the newest gen because 6 & 7 weren't nearly as bad as 8 to me in terms of the Pokemon designs), it isn't so easy to tell most of the time and they only put out around 80 compared to the O.G. 150 so it's barely justifiable to be lacking in the design department. This is just my POV, nobody says you have to agree or even argue it. You guys act like I'm hating on Pokemon when 1. I still love Pokemon and 2. This knock isn't even on the games themselves

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    How many more than 4? (Voltorb line, Magnemite line, Grimer line, maybe just a few others).
    Clefairy, Clefable, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victribel, Geodude, Graveler, Golem, the 3 lines you mentioned, Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Koffing, Weezing, Exeggucute, Exeggutor, Tangela, Ditto, Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite.

Then there's the question of if the humanoid Pokémon count or not

plus whatever the fuck Lickitung is supposed to be

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Gen 1 had many designs so terrible that they actually had to be redesigned to not be a pain to look at. And yet, things like Hitmonlee (a potato with arms and legs), Dugtrio and Magneton (Lazyness at its finest), and Jynx (considered a racial stereotype) are still there.

I've also seen people critisizing designs like Machamp, Magmar, and Mr. Mime (I personally don't have much issue with those but I guess the Human-shaped Pokémon aren't very popular), and a few others like Golbat, Exeggutor or the Seel line.

Lazy / questionable designs were a thing in Gen 1, players just had way lower standards back then or got used to them over time. Many Gen 1 designs would be heavily critisized if they came out in this age.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    Clefairy, Clefable, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victribel, Geodude, Graveler, Golem, the 3 lines you mentioned, Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Koffing, Weezing, Exeggucute, Exeggutor, Tangela, Ditto, Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite.

Then there's the question of if the humanoid Pokémon count or not

plus whatever the fuck Lickitung is supposed to be

Dratini line is a dragon which is an animal. Oddish line might not be animal inspired but it resembles a plant which is a living organism in nature that isn't a human, same with Bellsprout. I'll give you the others even though you just namedeopped a bunch of Pokemon that are in the same evo line as each other to make your list appear more extensive than it is. I stand by my sentiment that gen 1 is the best in terms of design and it isn't even my favorite but feel free to keep lying to yourself

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Dratini line is a dragon which is an animal. Oddish line might not be animal inspired but it resembles a plant which is a living organism in nature that isn't a human, same with Bellsprout. I'll give you the others even though you just namedeopped a bunch of Pokemon that are in the same evo line as each other to make your list appear more extensive than it is. I stand by my sentiment that gen 1 is the best in terms of design and it isn't even my favorite but feel free to keep lying to yourself

I think you're getting a bit unnecessarily worked up

I'm not here to argue what generation had the best 'mon designs or any of that, just correcting a factual error

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2021
    I hope I don't for some reason make someone angry but I really like to use legendarys in teams just because it reminds me that I played a whole game for this and so my favorite gen 8 pokemon is calyrex shadow rider form

Years
  • I hope I don't for some reason make someone angry but I really like to use legendarys in teams just because it reminds me that I played a whole game for this and so my favorite gen 8 pokemon is calyrex shadow rider form

I guess the above discussion might've made you a bit nervous, but you really don't have to worry yourself with that. Your just listing your favorite =)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i like a lot of them, but my top faves are alcremie, falinks, impidimp, applin, and dottler. :)

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Carkol (and its whole line, really). I just like the energetic feel it has, not to mention a fun way to have rock/fire typing.

Runerigus, since I like Ground types.

Sirfetch'd, since I've always wanted that Pokémon to be good.

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    Is it cheating if I say the Galarian Slowpoke line?

Empoleon671

不要
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    not counting DLC since i did not purchase DLC.

- Flapple

- Dragapult

- Sinistea line

i do quite like Urshifu though. but i havent used it. this gen sadly did not contain many pokemon i liked.

Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2021
    Hatterene boasts an insane Special Attack stat. Its witch-like hat and dual Psychic and Fairy-typing give it a suitable aesthetic that goes over well with many fans, making it one of the most popular Generation 8 Pokémon in certain online communities.

Years
  • My favorite is Centiskorch. I love the design, type combo and how good it is with Coil, it was my MVP in my Sword playthrough and I'm glad that the Pokemon with such an amazing design is also very strong.

Some other Galar Pokemon I really like besides Centiskorch are Rilaboom, Dragapult, Drednaw, Galarian Darmanitan, Galarian Weezing, Dracozolt,...

Back