• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: What's your favorite ROM hack?

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2017
    In your opinion, what is your favorite Pokemon ROM hack and why? Just curious to see what other people think! ^-^

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    Pokemon Pure Silver

Found this hack by accident around 2011/2012 and fell in love. I have played MANY great hacks so for this one to be my overall favorite is high praise. It solved ALL but one or two of my problems with the GSC games. My only complaints are there's no way to get a Surfing Pikachu (a complaint I have about most hacks, but keep to myself), and the fact he used Silver as the Rom base instead of doing all this work to Pokemon Crystal. Attach all the changes to Crystal with a special event to get a Surfing Pichu as an egg and all my problems are solved. Actually... Would anyone be willing to make a variant of this for Crystal and add in an event for a Surfing Pichu egg?

The original web page with the hack is no longer up, but it was archived and the ips link still works.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20140227092338/http://web.mit.edu/skishore/www/pokemon251.html

Last edited:

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Favorite was probably Shiny Gold. It was the only hack I played because I wanted to play a hack. My other hack play throughs were somewhat out of obligation and I didn't really have the player mentality I did back when I played these games for fun.

Years
  • Pokemon Snakewood. Great storyline, humour, difficulty level, I even like the fakemons there(which can't be said about any other hack).

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2016
    I'm glad so many people like Pokemon Snakewood. Unfortunately, I can't consider myself among you. I didnt feel the story properly wrapped up and it kind of just dragged on. It was a fun experience, but there was no real ending imo so yeah.

My favorite rom hack is probably Liquid Crystal. I sound like a hypocrite because at the time that I played this game, it also did not have a proper ending, but it was added a great difficulty curve to a wonderful game. Basically a gen 4 game with gen 3 graphics, it was a cool experience.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Pokemon Pure Silver

Found this hack by accident around 2011/2012 and fell in love. I have played MANY great hacks so for this one to be my overall favorite is high praise. It solved ALL but one or two of my problems with the GSC games. My only complaints are there's no way to get a Surfing Pikachu (a complaint I have about most hacks, but keep to myself), and the fact he used Silver as the Rom base instead of doing all this work to Pokemon Crystal. Attach all the changes to Crystal with a special event to get a Surfing Pichu as an egg and all my problems are solved. Actually... Would anyone be willing to make a variant of this for Crystal and add in an event for a Surfing Pichu egg?

The original web page with the hack is no longer up, but it was archived and the ips link still works.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20140227092338/http://web.mit.edu/skishore/www/pokemon251.html

I would happily oblige, but I would need the original maker's permission.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Well, he listed an email to contact him at in the link but I have no idea if it still works. [email protected]
    Google searching the email tells me he's a teacher at MIT

I'll try tonight. Also, yet to finish the game myself, not sure how to activate the Zapdos, Mew, Celebi and 3rd Johto starter events. Got Moltres (both of them>) and Mewtwo, plus Raikou from the roamers.

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    I'll try tonight. Also, yet to finish the game myself, not sure how to activate the Zapdos, Mew, Celebi and 3rd Johto starter events. Got Moltres (both of them>) and Mewtwo, plus Raikou from the roamers.

Mew is found in Olivine City walking around disguised as one of the NPC's walking around. Just talk to him, and he'll teleport to a small landmass to the right of the Olivine lighthouse. Surf over there, talk to him again and you'll battle him. Make SURE to save beforehand and catch him before he uses transform. IIRC, if you catch him after he uses transform, it just becomes a ditto. I like to cheat and use save states to avoid that.

As to the Johto starters. One is found in the Dark Cave by the entrance by Violet City. The other can be bought as an egg by an NPC walking around Goldenrod City.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Mew is found in Olivine City walking around disguised as one of the NPC's walking around. Just talk to him, and he'll teleport to a small landmass to the right of the Olivine lighthouse. Surf over there, talk to him again and you'll battle him. Make SURE to save beforehand and catch him before he uses transform. IIRC, if you catch him after he uses transform, it just becomes a ditto. I like to cheat and use save states to avoid that.

Hero! Done and caught, thanks. I know what I need for Articuno, just Zapdos and Celebi now.

Years
  • For me it's definitely Pokemon Glazed, the game play was so good it felt like a legitimate Pokemon game, although I think they could have done more with the pikatchu and the dimension hopping story, but in general it was amazing and I highly recommend it.

Back