• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What's Your Favourite Johto Starter And Why?

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2024
    Totally Totodile. He's always so happy and adorable in the anime and in-game sprites. It was great having him take the lead of my hulking Steelix.

Years
  • Completely Totodile. Totodile is very adorable and it has always been a favorite of mine, and it was my former "mascot" Pokémon before Servine. Every time I've played a game based from the Johto region, my choice has been Totodile.

Years
  • I'm gonna go with Totodile because...
    1) His sprite looks like he's doing jazz hands...
    2) His final evolution is pretty cool in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong though, the others are cool too....

JoPe

The Ghost Masta!
    Years
  • Cyndaquill because I'm clearly in love with Fire-type Pokemon and seriously, just take a look at it, Cyndaquill just looks badass!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Totodile! It was the first starter that I ever got because I thought it was really cute. Then when it evolved into Croconaw I thought it was cool and when it evolved into Feraligatr I thought it was even more cool so I my little eight year old brain decided that I would go to the name rater and rename 'Toto' to 'Cooly'. My thoughts towards Totodile and its evolutions have not wavered on me since. ♥

Years
  • Chikorita! She's certainly the weakest but I adore her design and she was my favorite starter to use as a kid. The other two are adorable though and Johto has my favorite set of starters overall. o/

PokeChris123

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I would usually go with Chikorita, because I THOUGHT it was my favorite Pokemon (because that was the one I played as in Explorers of Time). But now, I'm not sure which is my favorite Pokemon, as Chikorita is no longer my favorite. So now, I would have to probably go with Cyndaquil.

TheKurtzinator

Professional Derp/Trainer
    Years
  • Even though the sprites were ugly in the last two stages, I always preferred the Totodile line. It made the game and level grinding later on in the game at Mt. Silver pretty easy. Plus, you could teach it Ice Punch once you got to Goldenrod which meant grass types were not a problem anymore.

Joobell

Insert Witty User Title Here
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2015
    I'd say Cyndaquil since I've never had a starter that wasn't a fire type and he does look bad-ass.

Years
  • Hard choice for me as I really like all of the Johto starters, Johto also being my favourite region. But I have to choose Cyndaquil as it was my very first starter and pokemon.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    My favourite Johto starter is Totodile. As a kid, I was fond of Water types, so I nearly always picked Totodile in Pokemon Silver. Therefore, it kept growing on to me, and it's final evolution, Feraligatr, became one of my all-time favourite Pokemon. I love Feraligatr's design (Blue crocodiles FTW!)

Sometimes I picked Chikorita or Cyndaquil to give those a chance, but I never got to love them or their evolutions as much as I love the Totodile line.

Velvex the Øverlørd

The Apparition
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2013
    Totodile and it isn't even close. Although I do love Chikorita and Cyndaquil, Totodile was just the first Gen II starter that I picked. My best friend also picked Totodile first on his Gold version and we were always pretty competitive when it came to our Feraligaters (needless to say mine always won me the link-battles.) I guess I love the Totodile evolution line so much because my Feraligater was the first Pokemon that won me a lot of link-battles back in the day.

Years
  • Can't beat Totodile.
    He always will remain the best starter in my mind. Sure you could make the argument he's outclassed late game, but I can't just toss aside the first Starter I ever started with. Plus I just think Feraligatr has a better design than the other two.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2013
    Cyndaquil i say, cause when i was a bit younger i chose it in heartgold and it finally evolved into a typhlosion and grew to lv100 its now at my black2 game.

Gogofreak

Touhou and Pokemon Fanatic
    Years
  • In my first playthrough I chose Chikorita. I had to restart and choose Cyndaquil. Bugsy's Scyther gave a more difficult time than Whitney's Miltank!

Wyntilda

[span="font-family: 'times new roman'; letter-spac
    Years
    • Age 26
    • she/her
    • Sinnoh
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Chikorita.

Gold was my first game, and I chose Chikorita as my starter just because I like Grass-types. ^_^

nyanhunter6

just an ordinary trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2013
    my fav would be cydaquil because it evolves to quilava .quilava is by far my favourite pokemon .pokemon gold was my first pokemon game that inspired me and my brother played silver with totodile and we had a blast ... i thought my rival was a girl...it wasnt :l

Back