• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When exploring a new region...

Years
  • Do you prefer catching and training mostly new species of pokemon, and building a fresh team for yourself?

Or do you prefer to capture/ transfer some old favorite Pokemon to incorporate onto your new team?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    On the first playthrough, I usually try to use only new Pokemon. On any subsequent ones, I use whatever.

Sawsbuck

used Jump Kick! It's super effective!
    Years
  • I usually like to catch Pokemon that I've already used before as well as catch some new Pokemon, especially with Sun I caught some of the Pokemon that I had before that were in the game and some of the new ones to replace some that I couldn't get (like Sawsbuck)

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I use new Pok?mon for the initial playthrough, and then transfer old Pok?mon over for the postgame.

Years
  • Yeah I always try and use the new Pokemon in a brand new game, I've used most of the Pokemon from previous generations so I'll only go back to them when I'm replaying it.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I try to preference the new ones (or old ones with new stuff like Megas, Alolan Formes) but it's not really a big deal - if I end up with a few good unchanged old generation Pok?mon I don't really mind keeping them around.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I usually catch and train the new ones first mainly to see how they stack up compared to the previous regions' mons.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I always use new species or those that I've never used before. I never transfer a team from a previous game as I always keep them in the game I got them in.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I like to use new Pok?mon each game I play but they aren't region based. So I use Pok?mon I haven't used before but from any gen. As long as they can be caught in that gen.

Years
  • My instinct is to capture and try out new Pokemon, I may begin planning my regional team in the pre-order stage if I've glimpsed enough interesting new Pokemon.

However, if my team is lacking something and I have yet to find a suitable regional Pokemon then I will happily catch a reliable Pokemon from another region. D/P/Pt is a perfect example, there are no fire pokemon native to sinnoh found in the wild. So I caught a houndour when I saw the chance.

I definitely would have caved and bought magikarp early game in Pokemon black had it been available. Let's see basculin or gyarados.? Yeah definitely Gyarados.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Most of the time, sometimes if I'm feeling nostalgic or it's one of my favorites, I'll use one older Pokemon.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I try to go into the game blindly, unaware of what Pokémon I can find and where exactly to get them from. Because of that, while I do always want to specific kinds of Pokémon on my team, I end up with what I happen to find. I usually only want new Pokémon on my team during the first few runs, but without knowing where to find what that's a bit hard. I will not do this for USUM; as I've already done my blind playthrough I will now allow myself to plan a specific team and search for specific Pokémon.

In later playthroughs I only uphold certain rules if I want to. I only use Pokémon from the specific region if I want to, otherwise I go with whatever team I think is balanced and has Pokémon I like.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Well, I do have some favourites which I always like to use on my team, but for the first playthrough, I try to catch new mons available for the region. I do plan out my teams before I start a playthrough though, so more often than not, I'm already decided on what Pokemon will consist of my final team(s).

Pika Pika :chu:

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    In Diamond, there were enough new Pokémon I adored to have a team of only Sinnoh native Pokémon. I can't remember Black and White, but X I made a varied team of new Pokémon and older Pokémon I loved.
    I transferred my team's eggs over from X to Alpha Sapphire, but since they all had nearly perfect IVs, it quickly became boring. I decided now to make teams of the Pokémon native to the region. I did it for both Sun & Moon and had loads of fun <3

Last edited:

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • In Diamond, there were enough new Pokémon I adored to have a team of only Sinnoh native Pokémon. I can't remember Black and White, but X I made a varied team of new Pokémon and older Pokémon I loved.
    I transferred my team's eggs over from X to Alpha Sapphire, but since they all had nearly perfect IVs, it quickly became boring. I decided now to make teams of the Pokémon native to the region. I did it for both Sun & Moon and had loads of fun <3
    I do like experimenting with new Pokemon of a region, but my teams will always be a balance of new and older Pokemon. I need to have a feel of the game and the new Pokemon for the first few playthroughs, before I include more native Pokemon in my team(s). I don't remember ever having a team full of new Pokemon though.

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
  • I mostly tended to have new Pokemon mixed with older Pokemon, but Moon saw me use a team of completely new Pokemon in the main story for the first time. Maybe US/UM will see me have a mix of Alola Pokemon and older Pokemon.

Back