• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Where does Galar rank in your list of favorite regions?

Years
  • In order, where does the Galar region rank for you compared to other regions?

For me, region-wise...

1. Unova
    2. Hoenn
    3. Johto
    4. Alola
    5. Galar
    6. Kalos
    7. Sinnoh
    8. Kanto

Years
  • Pretty high - I'd say 3rd place for me, after Hoenn and Sinnoh.

I really like it, it's so vivid, visually magnificent and has so many nice cultural details to it. The UK wildlife-inspired Pokémon also help by making it feel familiar; we have pretty much the same common park and backyard animals in Croatia. In particular, blue tits and squirrels are a staple at my grandma's house in the country, so I love seeing them as Pokémon on an appropriate green hillside.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

1. Sinnoh
    2. Johto
    3. Kalos
    4. Kanto
    5. Galar
    6. Unova
    7. Hoenn
    8. Alola

I find the water-based regions to be bland an uninspired...as I've said before in another topic, the "too much water" criticism isn't entirely without merit when all that water is the same. Unova I found to be very drab despite the more impressive architecture - it lacked the vibrancy of HGSS, which I found extremely disappointing even if thematically it's accurate - and I'd say Galar is slightly better than Unova, but not quite as nice as Kanto or Kalos - I'll admit I've put the former up higher for nostalgic reasons, although it did look quite nice in LGPE.

Galar is let down quite a bit by the Wild Area. It has some lovely locations like the Glimwood Tangle, but the Wild Area is just bland, open stretches of nothing...it reminds me a lot of Breath of the Wild in that respect. It doesn't really leap out at me other than a couple of locations, and it's disappointing. Galar doesn't really feel like it all fits together, either - there isn't a natural transition from one area to the next as there is in Sinnoh or Kalos, and it feels very half-finished and rushed...probably because it was. Effort has clearly been put into the design of the region, but a lot of it feels like it's been cobbled together.

Couples-Consoling

Husband and Wife Nuzlocke Let's Players!
    Years
  • This is sort of a two-fold question for me. If I had to rank it on the routes and dungeons, it is LOW. A few can be pretty, but most are so quick that they're just... superfluous. However, the TOWNS are GLORIOUS. Even when there isn't much to do in them, their designs and aesthetic are, on the whole, DELIGHTFUL. Small towns like Balonlea don't have much to do but just look great, and then you've got towns like Circhester where they CLEARLY put work into making it seem like a place people might actually live.

Oh, and if we're counting gyms as part of the region, these gyms are, on the whole, my favorite in all of Pokemon in terms of design, I think.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Probably 5th or 6th, behind Sinnoh, Kanto, Unova, Orre, and maybe Kalos as well. Ahead of anything not named. I really don't like the tropical/7.8 too much water regions, and skipped the remakes/all of 7th gen as a result. Galar has the best name and some interesting town concepts, but there's terribly little to explore in terms of towns, routes, and even the Wild Area.

Naturally though, the Fort Mill/Tega Cay/Pineville region that spans North and South Carolina is the real top region. It's home to Baxter Village, Carowinds, the Comfort Inn Carowinds, and the Quality Suites Pineville, after all.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I would go

1. Johto
    2. Kanto
    3. Hoenn
    4. Sinnoh
    5. Unova
    6. Galar
    7. Kalos
    8. Alola

It's only as high a 6th due to the wild area, the towns don't have much going on plus gym leaders and the routes are too simple

Last edited:

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • 1. Unova
    2. Galar
    3. Kalos
    4. Alola
    5. Hoenn
    6. Johto
    7. Sinnoh
    8. Kanto

Note: My ranking is based on what I see in the games, not on the pokemon world in general.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    In the limbo of unplayed regions :(
    If I played the game it could be decently high enough (like 4 or 5 if we count Orre), because aside from the Wild Area it looks really nice.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • 1. Sinnoh
    2. Hoenn
    3. Johto
    4. Alola
    5. Unova
    6. Galar
    7. Kanto
    8. Kalos

The games were enjoyable on their own, like all main series games imo, but I prefer quite a few of the older regions altogether.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Unova has been far from being dethroned for me... if there had been more connection to Kalos and Unova like the real world counterparts, Galar would have been up there.... that being said, this is where I am.

1. Unova
    2. Kalos
    3. Sinnoh
    4. Johto
    5. Hoenn
    6. Galar
    7. Alola
    8. Kanto

Over all, I love how Galar turned out region wise... However, having a extremely large lack of any connection with Kalos and Unova and having yet another pair of twin heroes and the big bad coming out of a meteor or a meteor having any part in the story, just annoyed me. I love that Galar is a colder region, but the short comings of everything else reduced my ranking for it drastically. Not only these, but the towns are just.... empty..... so empty.... everything is empty. We are forced to stay in an area to get any decent TMs like how Warcraft did with WoD.

Perhaps when we get the next version or added content in the future, it will get a higher ranking. But right now, this game is the WoD of Pokemon for me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Best to worst:

1. Johto
    2. Kalos
    3. Galar
    4. Kantos
    5. Alola
    6. Sinnoh
    7. Unova
    8. Hoenn

sorry hoenn :(

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2021
    1. Sinnoh
    2. Kalos
    3. Johto
    4. Unova
    5. Alola
    6. Galar
    7. Hoenn
    8. Kanto

Most of the towns in the Galar region had so much potential. It's like they did the sketch and lineart, but then didn't bother to colour it in. Would have loved to see more of Balonlea and Spikemuth, but I was so disappointed to see how little substance these towns had. Besides Circhester, none of the towns peaked my interest. The routes all felt really short, it didn't take much time to get to a new town at all. The Wild Area is pretty great through, with how vast it is and how many Pokemon there are. I would've liked to see a bit more rather than a bit green patch with trees, but the concept is really good and I hope it stays.

Years
  • 1. Unova
    2. Hoenn
    3. Alola
    4. Johto
    5. Sinnoh
    6. Kalos
    7. Kanto
    8. Galar

I thought the prospect of exploring a region based on the UK was a wonderful idea, until I started playing the game. The whole thing, felt so terribly short that it actually felt so bland, exploration and story-wise. Exploration felt almost non-existant with no other areas to divert from the main story, which the Wild Area barely made up for it. The routes, of which a majority felt like nothing more than glorified hallways. The potential was there with some quality of life improvements for things such as natures and passing moves on, but Game Freak decided to do the bare minimum for their first Switch entries and it really felt that way, too. It did at least one thing though, and it helped me realize that Alola and its unique challenge were much more worthy of my time and respect in comparison to the gym challenge.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • This ranking is inclusive of after FRLG/ HGSS/ ORAS remakes, or the ranking would have been slightly different:

1 - Johto.
    2 - Sinnoh.
    3 - Kalos.
    4 - Hoenn.
    5 - Kanto.
    6 - Alola.
    7 - Galar.
    8 - Unova.

Johto especially HGSS re-introduced the Pokémon following you which was a plus, and the nostalgic of going back to Johto, the fights with Ho-oh and Lugia as well as the legendary dogs or cats gerbils were epic. Meeting up with Lance again was a plus point. Sinnoh is a no-brainers, Distortion World was the thing and though it got quite frustrating navigating around, it was a lot of funs and challenging Giratina was so cool, plotline was fun and you get so involved in stopping Team Galactic.

I really like Kalos because of the Mega Evolution, now I do get some people really not liked it, but it brought so much more potential to older Pokémon! The overworld was so gorgeous too, and the movement of the Pokémon were improved sooooo much because they are no longer sprites which was a huge improvement from Unova (Which I'll get to it later). Apart from making some Pokémon looked less cooler like Typhlosion, but I guess that is fine. Also, Goomy-line anyone?

Hoenn also brought back nostalgia which kept it high on my list, as well as the fact they introduced the Rayquaza and Deoxys arc in-game, and Mega Rayquaza is so awesome looking, I have always loved Dragons because of the Chinese-based looking ones and they brought such quality Pokémon in.

Kanto is there for nostalgia, and FRLG was pretty good for a game on GBA. Sevi Islands were fun, and I get to revisit Kanto for the first time since I was a very very very young kid when RBGY were released and I couldn't even find and catch the legendaries on my own back then needing my cousins' helps.

I absolutely loved Alola, even though I feel the UB thing was a mess, but it was still pretty awesome, introducing my first favourite Rock type Pokémon Rockruff line, as well as Type: Null line, Rowlet line, Zeraora, Marshadow, Mimikyu, Jangmo-o line, Mareanie-line and changing the Gym to Island Challenge breaks the traditional Pokémon game for once, was really pretty awesome.

I have never been a genwunner, or too much of a Dexit person but tbvh they sacrificed so many Pokémon for so-called better quality animations and I am not feeling the animation and colour and shading of the Pokémon in Sword and Shield at all. Granted yes, the overworld looked so much better but it's still not an open-world other than the Wild Areas. They had so much more potential, but the story and plotline seems so squeezed into the last minutes of the game and you don't get involved with it until that late, too. It was also too short and the reason why they decide to do this and that is kind of stupid, I'd prefers crazier things like trying to end the world like Cyrus did. That being said, I still hated the graphic and awkward moving sprites in BWB2W2 sooooooooo much I still can't touch the games till date, only completing so I could move my past Pokémon to generation 6, and it was a torture nonetheless for me. Sure, the story plot is probably one of the best out there, but I couldn't find myself enjoying it because the Pokémon which is the major part of the game, was too weird for me to handle,.

Last edited:
    Years
  • 1. Sinnoh
    2. Johto
    3. Kalos
    4. Hoenn
    5. Unova
    6. Kanto
    7. Alola
    8. Galar

I enjoyed SwSh, but in my opinion, one of the worst parts of the game is the region. It's just too... linear. The worst part is the routes, because they're just so short and hand-holdy. They look great graphically, but there's next to no exploring to do. Some of the things I love about my favorite region, Sinnoh, are all of the locations that have so much stuff to do (I'm looking at you, Eterna Forest).

Years
    1. Johto
    2. Kalos
    3. Alola
    4. Hoenn
    5. Sinnoh
    6. Unova
    7. Kanto
    8. Galar
    Haven't really though about it before, but now that I looked through most of the region, I have to say that it didn't really impressed me. Most of the towns and cities are just one-dimensional background with no depth to it. Like isn't Spikemuth just a back alley? And Routes are almost nonexistent. If only Wild Area was more that just a big blank flat plane. There is so much potential in Galar, but it's all so plain.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2020
    How-much-I-like-it-generally-wise:
    1. Galar / Unova
    2. Sinnoh
    3. Kalos
    4. Hoenn
    5. Kanto
    6. Johto
    7. Alola

Actual-stuff-to-do-wise:
    1. Unova / Sinnoh
    2. Hoenn
    3. Alola
    4. Galar
    5. Kalos
    6. Kanto
    7. Johto

SwSh are my favourite games to date, and I say this as someone who started with Diamond and has played every game. Until then, BW/B2W2 were my favourites, and they're only narrowly dethroned by the feel of Galar for me. But the region is obviously unfinished, hence why it's lower in my second list.

Years
  • This would be my list:

1. Alola
    2. Hoenn
    3. Sinnoh
    4. Johto
    5. Kanto
    6. Unova
    7. Galar
    8. Kalos

As I've said before in many posts, the game wasn't pretty disappointing to me. It was fun, and I could dick around in the wild area for quite some time trying to complete the dex. But the story and characters were lacking to me. And I don't particularly like the layout of the region either.

Back