• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Where is Isshu?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolnick37

Absolute Power
Years
  • Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Smiley's got a football! :O
    Haha yeah it does, but smiley also has a karate or other martial arts robe. Martial arts are mostly either from china(jiu-jitsu) or either from japan(karate)
    I love the smileys mask btw, its so dumb xD i just have to get it ingame.

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years
  • Just to say, Ninetails is the Kyubi, however Kyubi is just a type of Kitsune.

China, Japan and Korea all have almost identical myths about shape-shifting foxes. Zoroark COULD be a depiction about the chinese one, if there is something specific linking it to that (I'm no expert on Fox Spirits surprisingly :P) but it could also be based on the Japanese Myths instead.

EDIT:

If the Lighthouse is there, does that not ruin the Liberty Statue argument? It's in the totally wrong place (Wasn't it thought to be at those two islands?).

Hahaha there goes the NYCs last support(if that is true) xD jk ofc, there is still the football dude.
    However I m a big fan of kyuubi and everything connected to them, dont know about huli-jing though, but they are as you said probablly the same mith with different names. But in this case what points to huli-jing more then kitsune is that for huli-jing it is specially said that they are mostly females, like zoroark is in the movie.

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
  • Hahaha there goes the NYCs last support(if that is true) xD jk ofc, there is still the football dude.
    However I m a big fan of kyuubi and everything connected to them, dont know about huli-jing though, but they are as you said probablly the same mith with different names. But in this case what points to huli-jing more then kitsune is that for huli-jing it is specially said that they are mostly females, like zoroark is in the movie.
    What if infact (Dont look at the helmet) They were rugby players? Shanghai has plenty of rugby teams and they also have a select few American football teams.

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years
  • Here is some little more, (i just choose to be annoying for today :P)
    How could amusement park in isshu reference coney island when coney island is on the completely different place, and in shanghai the place perfectly fits.
    Heres a pic of NYC and where is coney island located as well as the amusement park in isshu:
    Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
    How could amusement park in isshu reference coney island when coney island is on the completely different place, and in shanghai the place perfectly fits.
    Heres a pic of NYC and where is coney island located as well as the amusement park in isshu:
    Haha. Nice find. Shanghai is gaining power people, and there is nothing you can do about it. Mwuhaha.

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years

• Haha. Nice find. Shanghai is gaining power people, and there is nothing you can do about it. Mwuhaha.

Ok ok, dont be so selfish XD, I think that majority of people is still on NYC side, but that doesnt matter. I just wanted for people when they ocme on this forum, instead of looking at posts like its NYC its been proven, now they can see realy evidence for both sides and now they can decide without being missinformed.
    Every1 can still chose between both or something else, it is jsut a thing of personnall opinion, i hope we will find more as games come out.

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
  • Ok ok, dont be so selfish XD, I think that majority of people is still on NYC side, but that doesnt matter. I just wanted for people when they ocme on this forum, instead of looking at posts like its NYC its been proven, now they can see realy evidence for both sides and now they can decide without being missinformed.
    Every1 can still chose between both or something else, it is jsut a thing of personnall opinion, i hope we will find more as games come out.
    Yes, yes. You're right. I was'nt being selfish really i was just a bit happy. But yes, evryone is free to believe whatever they want.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    @ Coolnick...I wouldnt say China has much freedom at all... or liberty for that matter

Last edited:

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years
  • @ Coolnick...I wouldnt say China has much freedom at all... or liberty for that matter

It is true china doesnt have much of a freedom of speech, but as for freedom and liberty :/ its not like there are slaves or anything there, they just lack freedom of speech. But if you are referring to the post when I got mad for some1 saying america=freedom, i wasnt thinking of china only but for other countries too.

Yingxue

Since October 2003
    Years
  • coolnick37 said:
    Why? Does shanghai lacks liberty by your opinion or something else?

Well of course it doesn't lack it.
    But generally when we think of like a liberty island, we think of the Statue of Liberty.

I dunno if you live in the US, but 'liberty' is everywhere. On our money, on buildings, statues, whatever. It's a very...American thing. It's not to say we were the ones that came up with it or that we're the only ones with liberty, because I know many countries in the world have many of the same freedoms, etc, that we have. However, it's just, for me at least, something extremely associated with the US because it's so ingrained into our minds and surroundings.

Sorry if that didn't make any sense...

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    I'dd say freedom of speech is rather important...taht and the fact that China censors almost everything they dont like but....ill pass on off topicness :P

Years
    "A reference, or a references point, is the intentional use of one thing, a point of reference or reference state, to indicate something else. "

By definition it could still be a reference.

Let's just say it's NYC. Game Freak could have decided to to use that one certain piece of land in NYC, but saw Coney Island was located near the area and decided that they wanted to implement it somehow.

missingnoresearcher

I like your bedsheets
    Years
  • [/FONT] Arguments for Shanghai
    • Shaped like Isshu, and the right peninsula matches up better
    • Mountains
    • Bridges match-up extremely well, better than NYC
    • More rural areas
    • Old vs. New could reference the contrast between nature and technology in China
    • Pokemon Musicals could reference Chinese Opera
    • The speculated Yin-Yang theme of the game
    • One could argue that the Pokemon are based on Chinese animals. Apparently Shikijika is found in the grassy areas near a river in Isshu. There is a water deer in Shanghai that is found around the river Yangtze, the one on the right. So that would point out that Shikijia could represent Shanghai water deer. Wargle could be a Chinese eagle.
    • Hihidaruma is based of the daruma doll, which is representation of Bodhidharma, which is the founder of Chinese martial arts, and zen Buddhism, which, would show Hihidaruma s an Asian Pokemon.
    • Shippou City is named after a Buddhist term for the "Seven Precious Treasures," so it would be a connection to Buddhism. Buddhism is mostly worshiped through Asia, and is a major religion in China.
    • Giant like in the middle of Isshu, is in the exact same spot as Taihu lake in china, and has an island in it, like the lake in China has Yeshan island in it.
    • Quindaohu lake is also on the same spot as another lake in Isshu, which is located above the windmills that are shown on the map.
    • Isshu has a large dessert in the area above Hiuin city, neither NYC or Shanghai have deserts there, but china is famous for having 2 of the worlds biggest deserts, Gobi and Takla-makan.
    • The government has moved almost all factories within downtown to either outskirts of Shanghai or the neighboring Jiangsu and Zhejiang Province in the last two decades. This could be referenced to the abandoned factory in the woods that we saw in the prerelease pictures.
    • In China there is a city named Suzhou known for being built on water and having the world's 3rd largest Ferris wheel. There is a city in Isshu built on water with a Ferris wheel in the exact location.
    • "Hiun" can be written in Kanji to mean "Cloud flying through the sky", a reference to Son Goku and the "Journey to the West", one of the most famous books in china.
    • Isshu is the Japanese reading of the kanji used for the old name of a province of China back in the Tang dynasty.
    • Zoroark, the evil fox Pokemon is most likely based on a huli jing, a Chinese spirit fox, which can change its appearance. More to this is that movie Zoroark is female, and huli jing foxes were mostly females.
    • The Shanghai area also has windmills in its rural areas like Isshu in its upper part. It's important to note that China is currently the world's second producer of wind energy, and it is soon to be number one as it is growing its production.
    • If Mamanbou turns out to be a Luvdisc evolution, that would be a minor hint towards Shanghai, since Shanghai is closer to Hoenn than NYC so it would make sense for it to be in this region.
    • The Shanghai region is the same size as every other Pokemon region and NYC is literally 1/6th the size of Kanto.
    • One could say that Iris (A girl in Isshu) is Chinese, because her character design is a very common stereotype used in a large variety of anime for Chinese girl, like clothing with very wide open sleeves, and her hair is shaped in 2 pon-pons which represents Chinese girls (Remember the character in street fighter, Chun-Li? )
    • The lighthouse in Isshu is located the same place in Shanghai

Reading this list, I got my 2 cents to deposit.

The Pudong District does look like Isshu's left penisula.
    Truth be told though, Isshu's (一生) Chinese's meanings "one life", thus I'm sure in Kanji it should be the same. It could refer to the remote life of Isshu's people from the other regions.

You know, I think where the Pokemon Musical might be if it's only in one area.
    Suzhou's famous for it's music and opera. Several large instruments companies manufactured there, making prices low for instruments. Suzhou opera is very famous around those parts; there's always people in the crowd when I go see one.
    Adding to Iris, that hairstyle is also common with little girls here in China...so...
    Personally, there are still details that reflect NYC.
    Isshu could just be a fusion of several foreigns city regions.
    I'll add more once I think some.
    Zebras usually inhabitate savannas and such places, i think there are zebras in both asia and america.
    The only thing about animal that points to shanghai, is that NYC doesnt have animals at all except cats and dogs :P although chinese ppl eat their dogs so it would make sense if there are no pokemon dogs in B/W xDD hahah that was obviously a joke, i hope no1 is offended.
    No offense taken.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Zebras usually inhabitate savannas and such places, i think there are zebras in both asia and america.
    The only thing about animal that points to shanghai, is that NYC doesnt have animals at all except cats and dogs :P although chinese ppl eat their dogs so it would make sense if there are no pokemon dogs in B/W xDD hahah that was obviously a joke, i hope no1 is offended.
    Wrong Zebra's only live in Africa, not counting Zoo's.

austy14

Cannibal
    Years

• Wrong Zebra's only live in Africa, not counting Zoo's.

Well, New York does have a big zoo...

Also!: I just thought of this. Umm, not sure if it's been said, but if it has I'll say it better. [/JK] So, I now think Isshu is New York again based on shape. But the thing is, the peninsulas are the right shape... but squished. EXACTLY! GF has been known to alter the location, like shift Johto so it lines with Kanto, rotate Hoenn, add part of Russia to Hokkaido to make Sinnoh, etc. So, taking New York and giving the peninsulas a little space wouldn't be that bad! So I think it's New York again, with the ferris wheel thing probably being based off the town near shanghai. But yeah... look at new york. Spread the peninsulas out a bit, straighten it a tad, and BAM! Isshu in a box!... Or on a screen. Whichever floats your boat. But the main other clues to NY are probably Hiun's art being the same as a pic of NY Harbor and the entire Victini deal.

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
  • Well, New York does have a big zoo...

Also!: I just thought of this. Umm, not sure if it's been said, but if it has I'll say it better. [/JK] So, I now think Isshu is New York again based on shape. But the thing is, the peninsulas are the right shape... but squished. EXACTLY! GF has been known to alter the location, like shift Johto so it lines with Kanto, rotate Hoenn, add part of Russia to Hokkaido to make Sinnoh, etc. So, taking New York and giving the peninsulas a little space wouldn't be that bad! So I think it's New York again, with the ferris wheel thing probably being based off the town near shanghai. But yeah... look at new york. Spread the peninsulas out a bit, straighten it a tad, and BAM! Isshu in a box!... Or on a screen. Whichever floats your boat. But the main other clues to NY are probably Hiun's art being the same as a pic of NY Harbor and the entire Victini deal.
    Yes, ofcourse you could alter NYC, but that doesent change the fact that shanghai already almost is the right, skape. plus. Look at all the reasons on the first page.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back