• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious Where's Kim Jong Un?

Years
  • The leader of North Korea hasn't been seen publicly in 2 weeks. Kim Jong Un didn't appear for the Day of the Sun celebration on April 15, the holiday honoring his grandfather Kim IL Sung. His lack of visibility and family history of health issues have led to a discussion of the succession in North Korea in the event that he is incapacitated or passes away, as his children are too young to succeed him.

https://www.businessinsider.com/kim-jong-un-death-rumors-health-condition-what-we-know-2020-4

Rumors are circulating throughout the international community that he is gravely ill, and even that he has died from surgery complications. None of this has been confirmed however, and this may be a false flag. There are also contradictory reports that his personal train has been sighted on the move.

We don't honestly know what's happening in North Korea right now, very little information has been forthcoming. However, I think it's time for a dialogue about North Korea just in case there is some sudden change in the situation there, as the geopolitical implications would be huge.

pkmin3033

I think it more likely that he's either severely ill, or self isolating...it seems plausible that he's self isolating, given his apparently poor health and recent surgery. I can't see his death being kept quiet for very long, at any rate.

Years
  • I agree with Dawn. I think he's unlikely to be dead, but I think he's almost certainly ill. If Kim Jong Un was truly in just fine condition like some aides claimed then I believe the government of North Korea would want him seen however briefly in order to disprove rumors to the contrary.

According to Reuters a medical team from
    China was dispatched to attend to Kim Jong Un. If that is the case then something serious is wrong. North Korea is a secretive government, and if they're rushing in doctors from abroad it would appear that he is need of evaluation or care beyond what they can do in North Korea.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-to-advise-on-north-koreas-kim-idUSKCN2263DW

Last edited:
    Years
  • He's probably ill by the looks of it, but it's too soon to say what that really entails. It could be COVID, it could be cancer or it could be the sniffles. You never really know with people like this until the press release. The secrecy makes it hard to speculate, it could just as easily be him on his deathbed as it could be an overreaction because of the current global climate.

Years
  • I just read a korean news saying that he has been spending some time at a health resort. Maybe he's ill but he's alive for sure alive. Why does this matter so much tho?

Years
  • I just read a korean news saying that he has been spending some time at a health resort. Maybe he's ill but he's alive for sure alive. Why does this matter so much tho?

Because he's a tyrannical dictator without a direct line of succession old enough to take over from him should he suddenly die.

Years
  • Because he's a tyrannical dictator without a direct line of succession old enough to take over from him should he suddenly die.

In the given case he dies it's been confirmed his sister will be the new supreme leader of North Korea.
    He isn't dead anyway.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    In the given case he dies it's been confirmed his sister will be the new supreme leader of North Korea.
    Has it been confirmed?

Haven't been super keeping up with this, not that there's likely to be much info in general given how North Korea doesn't let much in or out anyway

Years
  • This Washington Post article pretty much sums it up. What happens if Kim Jong Un dies? No one knows.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/26/what-happens-if-kim-jong-un-dies-no-one-knows/

There's a younger sister Kim Yo Jong, but also an older brother Kim Jon Chul, who has been passed over and stayed mostly out of politics. The sister is the more active in government, and would seem the heir apparent, but the most obvious answer isn't always the case, especially if chauvinism is a factor. If there's any internal power struggle over the succession then obviously that's not good for North Korea or the international community.

Sirfetch’d

I think he has corona and is severely ill. I am pretty skeptical about him being dead because I don't think they'd be able to cover up his actual death for this long but there is definitely a reason he has not made an appearance for over 3 weeks now and is in hiding.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
    Years
  • well, i sure do hope he's dead, but apparently it's been known that the dictators of north korea have all had their times where they disappeared for a while and then came back. it's never a good sign though. probably severely ill more than anything.

Years
  • There's a lot of stories going around and you never really know what to believe. Some say he died in surgery, some are still speculating. I think for now it's best to assume he's still alive, but sick, because if he had died we would see much more from the North Korea media about it.

Back