• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which generation do you think had the best Pokémon designs?

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I just did the favorite Pokémon thing not long ago (pretty much I did it based on design) and realized I have a lot of favorites from Gen 7! In fact out of my top 10, Gen 7 takes 4/10 of the slots. Second is Gen 3taking 2/10 and then 4, 5, 6, 8 with 1 each.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Though I'm a huge Gen. II fan and generally consider it my favorite, I think I'm going to have to give Gen. I credit for the best designs. I did one of those "top # favorite Pokémon from each generation" things (see spoiler) not too long ago and Gen. I had the most honorable mentions. (Granted, I was focusing more on Pokémon that had significance to me than purely design, but Gen. I's list would've been even longer had I included more aesthetic favorites.) I do prefer Gen. II's Legendary designs, though (Gen. III also has really nice Legendaries and had the second most honorable mentions).

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'm encountering this with VPPs actually, lmao. I'm collecting Pokémon that I like and realizing that I'm favoring different gens. We'll see how it progresses. :)

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Generation III had the best Pokémon designs fite me

I honestly can't find a design I dislike. Even Silcoon and Cascoon, although they're kind bland, don't look outright ugly.

PokeKids2

Meow?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2022
    Mainly Current Sugi Designs and Gen 2 Designs of Cutest Pokemon like Teddiursa 😄

Years
  • unova for me! a lot of people think the designs are weird, but my favorites list consists of a lot of unova mons. <3 whimsicott, mienshao, serperior, cinccino, musharna, emolga, audino... I like a lot of them soo much tbh. johto is also very high up there, the designs are so good!

Years
  • The OG 151 after they were polished via the anime. Seeing them always reminds me of that peculiar style 90s japanese art had and I will always love them.

Years
  • honestly even though swsh was a let down, Gen 8 has some of my favorite mon designs ever (Cursola, Appletun, Dragapult, Alcremie, Snom, Frosmoth, Sobble, Hattrem, Polteageist, etc.), after I'd say it's Gen 3 which also had some mons I like the designs of.

Years
  • Perhaps Gen II or Gen III! I'd confidently say there's very few designs from either of those two regions that I dislike, and Gen II added some cool evolutions to the original 151 Pokemon that were perfect, it felt like the sequel it was supposed to be and the designs definitely helped that! As for Hoenn, the water Pokemon desings are great and most of my favourite Pokemon came from the region - Treecko, Absol etc.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • So I went through all the Pokemon designs per gen and honestly it was hard to pick only one gen as overall best. Overall, I loved Gen 5's the most because of its approach as a soft reboot and the addition of many creative Pokemon designs (including my personal favourite Pokemon). There are definitely designs that could be better however but the positives outweigh the negatives easily. I also loved 7 and 6's designs as well.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    My favorite designs are Hoenn and Johto.

I like gen 6 and 7 designs but I have trouble telling them apart sometimes.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Sinnoh! I genuinely don't dislike a single Pokémon that was introduced in generation 4. Some of my personal favourites include: Lopunny, Roserade, Mismsgius, Lucario, Cresselia, Cherrim, Garchomp, etc.

Gens 3 & 5 are also incredibly strong generations as well in terms of Pokémon design! Half of my top 10 all-time favourite Pokémon were introduced in the 3rd generation, actually! (Beautifly, Gardevoir, Milotic, Blaziken, & Sceptile!)

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have to tons of pokemon I like from all gens but it Would have to be between gen 1 through to 3 for the amount of quality and out of the 3 gens I would go with gen 1 for constant good designs

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    I'd say Gen V. I think they're very dynamic and blend in well with the Unova region. None of them are way too on the nose (unlike Gen VII) and there's a tonne of variety there.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • Whenever I try to come up with lists of favourites generally I end up listing a lot of Gen II and Gen IV mons, which is not really surprising as in nearly every aspect those are the gens that are usually my favourite ones. And to those two I add Gen III, which also has plenty of Pokémon I like a lot, while for Gen I and V (and even more for the last three generations) there are usually many stand-out designs but also lots of Pokémon I hardly like at all (or, especially in Gen I, designs that I find too bland and uninteresting), unlike gens II-III-IV where there are really few designs I find bad.

Roaming Emboar

Unovian Enhtusiast
    Years
  • Gen 3, Gen 4 and Gen 5 had some of the best designs. These 3 generations had no bad designs in my opinion. I like to use different teams when replaying older games and using these different Pokemon help me appreciate underrated designs such as Drapion, Cryogonal, Altaria, Hippowdon, Pelipper, Swanna, etc.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    Gen 3, Gen 4 and Gen 5 had some of the best designs. These 3 generations had no bad designs in my opinion. I like to use different teams when replaying older games and using these different Pokemon help me appreciate underrated designs such as Drapion, Cryogonal, Altaria, Hippowdon, Pelipper, Swanna, etc.

Yaaaas! Drapion became an absolute favourite of mine after playing through Platinum a couple of months ago.

KantoBound

Professor Arthur Pine
    Years
  • Even though quite a few of my favorite Pokémon are from Gens 7/8, but I have to say that Gen 2/4 Johto had the best Pokémon designs. It wasn't designed as another piece in a franchise; it was just the sequel to the critically acclaimed game "Pokémon". I think this led them to design some of the best Pokémon ever. I'm also including the Sinnoh evolutions from the HGSS dex, because the Sinnoh evolutions were a very similar concept. I don't know how unpopular this opinion may be, but that's just my thoughts.

Back