• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Hex Editor(s) do you use?

Years
  • Which hex editors do you use? What is your favourite? Why? Etc.

As for me, I use HxD most of the time because I love the interface and it's a lot easier to use IMO. For text editing, though, I use WindHex because my computer seems to hate Translhextion. If I'm honest I don't see why Hex Workshop is so popular buuuut that's just me. So yeah, discuss.

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2016
    I use Translhextion. Ive tried Hex Workshop before and I just find it not as easy to use. Translhextion hasnt given me any problems, so if it isnt broken why fix it?

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I've never used a hex editor if you want me to be honest... D:
    But I do have Hex Workshop, if that counts at all. I don't really have a need to use it at the moment.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    Hex Workshop, mainly because of the efficient research/compare functions (it also has flexible copy-paste functions). I started hacking using Hexeccute, but it can't afford researches for more than 2 unicodes at time and paste function is overwrite-only (can't insert a copied chunk of data, only pre-set array of bytes). It was good for its good custom-table support, but Hex Workshop supports custom tables too (via a side-program) so it makes any other hex editor superfluous, for me.

Nidrax

I'm starting with hex editing
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2015
    I use XVI32. I don't remember why... But I also have HxD installed.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2019
    HxD. If I need to hex-edit text, then I just use XSE as a hex-to-text Rosetta stone.

PRIZZA

(preet-zuh)
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2011
    I use WindHex32 for essentially everything (Hex edits, text edits, etc...) It has quite a few features that are designed for use with ROMs, so it has my vote.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
    Years
  • I use hex workshop v5 its easy to use and i found an free unlock key for it in google XD
    Andi think it find the offsets more understandable than the others!

Giga Universe

Working on a tool.
    Years
  • Wow. I never knew that Command Prompt had a Hex Edit function. lol

I use HxD because it's free, it has a portable version, and it's simple for me to use and work with. I like Hex Workshop because it is compatible with .tbl files, but I cannot afford to buy a license at the moment.

I made the tool myself :)

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Hex editor? Pfft, I use a command prompt.

There's just something about console windows that I find very user-friendly.
    I can see this being useful for automation. But for interactive use, it is way too verbose, and the Windows command prompt really sucks (especially compared to Unix terminals).

Incidentally, I use Radare to hex edit. It runs from a terminal and also has an interactive mode.

Years
  • I initially used Hex Workshop, but if I recall correctly I had the trial version that wore off after a month or so. I wasn't about to spend money on one, so now I use Gold Finger. It does what I need it to do, has a search function (of course) and so on, so.. I'm perfectly happy with it.

Back