• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Which Hoenn starter will you choose?

Which Hoenn starter will you choose?

• Treecko

Votes: 110 42.3%
  • Torchic

Votes: 56 21.5%
  • Mudkip

Votes: 94 36.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • I'm going to go with Mudkip in OR and Treecko in AS.
    1) Ruby was my first game and Mudkip my first starter, seemed rather fitting to go with that again, and
    2) I've started a new save on my copy of Emerald and I'm using Treecko so I thought I'd give him/her another go in AS.

I'll probably use my event Torchics in both games, I got two of them and have only touched one so I'll breed a second one and transfer them over to ORAS, but they won't be used heavily or in my final E4 team.

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
    Years
  • Treecko in Omega Ruby (I'll be doing a Nuzlocke in this version, to pay homage to Nuzlocke himself.) and idk what in Alpha Sapphire, most likely Mudkip because I've used Mega Blaziken before.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    For Omega Ruby, I will be picking Treeko (The starter I always pick in Emerald) considering I have Torchic on Y and I will need a 2DS to trade my Torchic from Y.

As for Alpha Sapphire, obviously going for Mudkip.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I'm starting to think more logically. The game should allow communication with Pokémon Bank, so I will have babies with decent (not necessarily perfect) IVs ready to go. On the other hand, what I'd LIKE to do is start with the two other babies traded in Egg form to start off, and from there I can have all three starters in my OT. That would be beautiful. It would be neat if the game actually allowed you to catch all three given the Safari now, though I doubt it will happen in the maingame. Knowing the Daycare isn't until you reach Mauville, however, does tell me that you can breed your own starters and grind them before facing Wattson, so at least a good chunk of the game can be played with your own group!

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Picking A starter based on its Mega's Aesthetics is rather stupid imo. More Megas will be released, and no one says you must use a Mega.

I will pick Mudkip. I might use Mega Swampert, Might not.

Hello there; Everyone has his or her own way of choosing and opinion, so who are you to judge others in the first place? What nonsense.

I personally might be going with Treecko this time round, with the above mentioned plentiful of Water-type available in-game already; Though I've always chose Mudkip during my RSE era.
    I still have my Swampert from Sapphire on my X, and I think that we will still be able to buy the Mega Stones for the other 2 you didn't pick too like in X and Y.
    Am still undecided though.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I think I said before my main game would be Treecko? Yeah, not anymore. Mega Swampert is too great to not have by my side permanently and Mudkip was already a staple of mine so it's getting my loyalty. Treecko will definitely be the first choice in any secondary game, though! And I feel ambitious about a new game on a second cartridge, then I'll take Torchic for a run.

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2015
    When I played emerald I always picked Mudkip for the water type in my party until the last time played through emerald (last month) and got a Milotic for my water type.
    I think I will pick Treecko. I want a good grass type and his mega form is one of the best that has been created. Swampert's does not cut it for me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    If I do in fact get one of the upcoming games, I am leaning toward choosing Mudkip. Its the Hoenn starter I chose on my first play through Sapphire back in the day, so it has a certain nostalgia factor. I would have considered choosing Treecko as that is the one starter I didn't pick from the 3rd generation games (I went with Torchic in Ruby). However, I just trained up a Sceptile in my Y version, and I plan on transferring it to whichever version I get through Pokémon Bank cuz I want it to be the Sceptile I Mega Evolve.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    Torchic. Fire type is too much of a tradition for me to break, usually. And in this case, the Torchic line really is my favourite.

Sapphire Dragon

Let go of the scars that define you.
    Years
  • Mudkip. I liked him before it was cool. /hipster

But really, I've always liked Mudkip. Treecko was a bit too 'cool' for me and Torchic just didn't quite fit. Mudkip was the perfect mix of cute and strong.

Interestingly enough, I never did use him in my playthrough teams, I only used him for the first few areas and caught other Pokemon to train more (Poochyena, Taillow, Skitty). This time around, however, he will be sticking in my main team. I don't plan on using him for his Mega, either- I think Swampert's normal design has just grown on me.

I'm starting to think more logically. The game should allow communication with Pokémon Bank, so I will have babies with decent (not necessarily perfect) IVs ready to go. On the other hand...
    Interesting, this is similar to what I want to do!

Right now I'm finalizing a team that would include 4 I'm breeding/EV training a little and 2 natives from AS. Unfortunately, my current team doesn't include a flying Pokemon... :/ I'll probably just train another Swellow for that.

Last edited:

Misaka

Yokoso
    Years
  • That is a really good question. I have no idea. I am going to have to think about this... But maybe I will start with Mudkip since I feel I never really used mine when I played the original Sapphire.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Treecko. One of my favorite Grass-type Pokemon, in fact, Hoenn's the only time where I began the generation using the Grass type starter. He's wicked cool.

Angello

Pokémon Lover
    Years
  • Treecko has a great skill now... And Torchic was the first Hoenn starter with a Mega-Evolution.

But my favourite Hoenn startert is Mudkip. I need to start with it again.

Gizmo-Dude17

"Sorry, don't mind me."
    Years
  • Not sure which version I'm going to go with quit yet, But I'll be going with the grass starter, treecko. I played the originals many times over, using each one at least once.

Torchic got a comeback during the x and y seris, so I'd like to go with a pokemon I haden't just used. Also, I think I chose Mudkip the most many times during my re plays. I would like to give It's new mega form a chance...

But 'just haven't used treecko as much, and I'd like to give it a try.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2018
    I believe I will pick Mudkip this time around! I usually picked Torchic, but since I have one in X and Y already, I'd rather have one of the new Megas. Treeko is nice, but Mudkip was always my Emerald choice. It worked out well anyway, since my brother is picking Treeko this time. Now we can breed and trade and end up with all 3. :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2014
    I'd have to say Treeko, Mega Sceptile is definetly the coolest out of the three Mega evolutions. Also, grass types ftw.

I went with Torchic in my Emerald playthrough, and the main reason why I'm not using Mudkip is because I'm not a fan of Mega Swampert.

for him.

I'm trash.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    I love all the starters of Hoenn, but I have decided to go with Sceptile. (It's the most unloved Hoenn starters. *tear,tear, cry, cry)

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2018
    I just don't know what to doooooo! Mudkip was my first starter in my first game ever but my game was stolen before I finished. So I got another game and chose torchic and Blaziken is now my favorite pokemon. But I don't wanna choose Blaziken because I used him in X. Swampert is my 2nd favorite hoenn starter but I hate Mega Swampert...... T_T

Back