• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which starter will you choose?

• Rowlet

Votes: 111 42.0%
  • Litten

Votes: 93 35.2%
  • Popplio

Votes: 60 22.7%

• Total voters

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
Years
  • The starters so far haven't hit home with me too much. Popplio definitely is the cutest atm for me. I'm mostly hoping it doesn't look goofy/funny on it's 2nd and 3rd forms though. So my answer for now will be Popplio <3

Years
  • Team Popplio 100%.

Here is what my general thoughts are:

STARTERS
    I think it is refreshing how the colors of the starters are mixing it up a bit as well. We have a mostly tan grass starter and mostly black fire starter. Though, part of me wishes there were most of the original colors present, it is also maybe a refreshing change. It's hard not to notice that these starters are so different from previous starters and is definitely a break in the mold.

POPPLIO
    I LOVE Popplio!!!! I think I found my new overall favorite starter! It's literally the cutest Pokemon I have ever seen. It has never been such an easy choice picking my starting pokemon. Just look at its little ball nose, cone nose, fin-paws, frilled color, and little smile! I seriously want one right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evolution: Please do not get a "tough" evolution, I will be happy with a cute circus clown or an elegant circus performer. Though, I do see some form of physical performer, and therefore I predict (maybe water/fighting).

LITTEN
    This is an interesting direction for a fire starter. It's pretty hilarious how Litten (which is an amazing name) has a little fire spike when it attacks similar to when cats hiss or are nervous. This is a bad little kitty for sure. (fire/dark typing confirmed).

Evolution: Is a Cereberus evolution too much to ask?!?! The coloring makes it pretty obvious it will evolve into a fire/dark type, but I think of Cereberus particularly with fire and darkness.

ROWLET
    It is a funny little gizmo. I like his little bowtie and blank expression. As the grass quill pokemon I think he is a studious pokemon that will take little notes on his bark. I love the idea of a grass owl because of "paper" books and quill pens go well together. This is quite a different approach to a grass type.

Edit: Did not see Rowlet's typing!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Rowlet aka the Grass starter is still leading by a landslide... I have a fear that Team Rowlet may be divided if the evolutions are a letdown. It was exactly what happened for Team Fennekin in the Kalos starter race, it lost members when Delphox came out.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    You can't mess up an owl design. The little guy has a lot of promise.

Do me good GF and give him a beard for his final evo. This series is lacking in bearded Pokemon.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Rowlet aka the Grass starter is still leading by a landslide... I have a fear that Team Rowlet may be divided if the evolutions are a letdown. It was exactly what happened for Team Fennekin in the Kalos starter race, it lost members when Delphox came out.

I'm almost certain that once the evolutions are revealed people will quickly change their opinions. It's happened so many times before, even with myself for the likes of Chespin. I'm really hoping this is the case for these starters though, I'm great with Litten but the other two could be improved on which is where I'm hoping their evolutions will make up for that. The only con I'd have with Litten is if it turned out to be another Fire/Fighting which is a possibility; Fire/Dark would be great since it could counter Houndoom having a feline/canine of the same type combinations.

Years
  • I'm really indecisive.
    Rowlet is very impressive - it's impossible not to love an owl. It is also so refreshing. And the fact that it is the flying type already makes a Fly Hm, leaving a vacant place in the team. Very useful.
    On the other hand, Litten is very cool, and it seems that when it evolve, it will be a tiger Dark type.
    Popplio is ... Okay. But it's not my first choice, for now. I do not know, it reminds me too Oshawott.
    But as for now we are only taking into account appearances, with the revelation of evolutionary lines, my opinion may change.
    I hated Froakie with passion when I saw him for the first time. Today, Greninja is my favorite Kalos starter.
    So definitely I will have to see the full line for me to decide.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm almost certain that once the evolutions are revealed people will quickly change their opinions. It's happened so many times before, even with myself for the likes of Chespin. I'm really hoping this is the case for these starters though, I'm great with Litten but the other two could be improved on which is where I'm hoping their evolutions will make up for that. The only con I'd have with Litten is if it turned out to be another Fire/Fighting which is a possibility; Fire/Dark would be great since it could counter Houndoom having a feline/canine of the same type combinations.

Don't forget the possibility of Popplio evolving into something awesome. It happened with both Oshawott and Froakie, who started out unloved because they were derps and then ended up getting the best-looking evolutions of the bunch, heck Froakie became the most-picked Kalos starter due to how good its evos were not casually, but competitively as well.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Grass Owl has a cute bow tie, I'll give it that. But it's not the best animal.

You know which animals are the best? Black cats.

You know which one is a black cat? Fire Cat. Fire Cat is a black cat.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    While I like the base forms of the three starters, there was only one that made me react out loud. And that reaction was "OH MY GOD IT'S A KITTY!"

Cats are awesome, and Litten is no exception. It attacks by flaming hairballs. As a cat owner, there is no more frightening object than the rogue hairball. Wrap one in flames, and it's even more scary.

Besides, I always tend to lean more towards the fire starters. (Only exception was Generation 5.)

The final forms might sway my decision in a different way, but right now Litten is definitely my choice.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    Rowlet, and I'll name it Hedwig. If I got Litten, I'd name it Jiji after the cat in Kiki's Deluvery Service, but I'll have to see Popplio's evolutions before I consider that. Which is a shame since I usually love water starters.

Why couldn't we just have gotten a dolphin starter?

Years
  • After seeing people flock to Rowlet and Litten, I think I've decided to go for Popplio. It'll make trading less of a pain... although I'm planning to get both versions eventually so it probably wont matter much in the end.

Years
  • Rowlet's face is also a Venn diagram. I wonder if that's just a design element or it if hints at anything. Two circles overlapping is a lot like what happens in an eclipse. I wonder if the circles will move closer together as it evolves.

Years
  • Why couldn't we just have gotten a dolphin starter?

Because Water-type starters tend to be amphibious creatures, and dolphins are fully aquatic. I am still hopefully expecting a dolphin Pokemon revealed later on since this would be the perfect region for it.

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • Which starter will you choose?

Too much Pingu as a child... so not that one. Probably Litten, but possibly Rowlet. Not too impressed with the starters this time around to be honest.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    I like them all, but I have to go with that cute lil' owl for my starter. I wonder if his final evo will be a flower owl. Hibiscus are very much associated with Hawaii, right?

Years
  • I noticed Popplio is officially last, and I know what it's like when my fave starter was once the least popular... *thinks of Oshawott*
    Well, if the order displayed in-game were inverted, it would be: Popplio (Water) - Litten (Fire) - Rowlet (Grass).

Which, I mean, sounds decent.

Hopefully they're not just relying on secondary typings to make battling with these particularly interesting, but also have some novel battle functions that they can display, rather than the general multiplication of attacks. Still, at least Popplio is sticking by its guns. It might grow on people if they get the game.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    I'll go with Popplio because it feels right - he may even become my fave starter if he proves to be a good partner in the game. I'd be really, really happy if it evolved into a Psychic type, and I guess there are small chances, but fairy type is much more likely. A pity.

The other two are pretty great too, though - especially that lil' owl thingie. I just can't wait for the haters to start hating and preaching their disappointment, 'cause that's always fun to watch.

Back