• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which starter will you choose?

Which starter will you choose?

• Rowlet

Votes: 111 42.0%
  • Litten

Votes: 93 35.2%
  • Popplio

Votes: 60 22.7%

• Total voters
Years
  • I'm glad to know im not alone choosing Popplio. Though, I really hope it's later evolutions do not resemble a clown. I feel it could have much more potential, but as long as it doesn't evolve into looking like a clown.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • I'll be picking Rowlet because I always like to go for the grass starter. However, Popplio is certainly my favrotire of the three.

Avablitz

Guardian of the Ruins
    Years
  • I'm leaning towards Popplio but it could change once the full Evo lines are revealed. I probably won't get Litten though as I feel some starters will always end up unloved. Litten is the most popular currently so I'll probably stay with Rowlet and Popplio.

I do hope they won't drop the ball again like with Emboar. That design felt wrong for Tepig.

Years
  • Litten is the most popular currently so I'll probably stay with Rowlet and Popplio.

Actually, it's Rowlet who's the most popular at the moment. At least according to a lot of S/M-related polls right now.

The popularity order is Rowlet as most popular, Litten as second most popular, and Popplio as the least popular. In fact it was the same pattern for Unova's starters when they were first revealed - Grass as most praised, Fire as the middle wheel, and Water as the overly hated one.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2017
    I love all of 'em so I wanna use 'em all eventually. But for my main file I think I'll be choosing Rowlet. How can I resist the Coconut Owl. ♥

Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 17, 2021
    As soon as I saw Litten I knew it was going to be my choice. All 3 look like they have potential though.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Ugh my heart ripped in two when I saw the reveal of Rowlet and Litten. They're so adorable. I want to pick Litten in Moon (main file) and Rowlet in Sun because I can't even decide. If either one goes the route of having a disappointing final evolution (e.g. Delphox), then I'll forgo buying the second version at release. I feel neutral about Popplio so far.

Years
  • I can see Litten getting Intimidate. Popplio magic bounce. And Rowlet Gale Wings. If Rowlet gets Gale wings as it's HA it's popularity will solidify.
    That might marginalise Litten a bit much. In addition, not sure about giving the grass starter a flying-type ability. This is especially the case if they plan on keeping it a signature move. They might prefer something new and grass-related, or akin to Greninja's, etc.

Years
  • Depends heavily on what the final ego's look like and what other Pokemon we see in the regional Dex, but I'm leaning towards Rowlet and Popplio. I don't dislike Litten exactly, but it's a bit too close to Pyroar for me, aesthetically, and the rumored Fire/Ground typing will be pretty hard to work around in a region based around islands and water and (presumably) heavy on Water-type Pokemons.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • That might marginalise Litten a bit much. In addition, not sure about giving the grass starter a flying-type ability. This is especially the case if they plan on keeping it a signature move. They might prefer something new and grass-related, or akin to Greninja's, etc.

Yeah, but unless Rowlet loses flying it should have access to a flying type related ability.

Years
  • Figured I'd bump this because I now have a theory as to what stats each starter may specialize in.

In the livestream, the player's Popplio attacked after Hau's Litten and Pichu which likely suggests that Popplio will be the slow bulky starter of the group that also has emphasis on a solid Sp. Attack stat. If you look at previous trios the Grass-type mostly took the bulky route (as shown with every Grass starter except Treecko) and in the case of the ones aside from Snivy, were mainly slow as well. The only time the Water starter was the slow one with the bulky stats was Mudkip, back in 3rd Gen.

Litten having the most sleek design of the three suggests it'll be the speedy one of the Alola trio, and will probably also be a special attacker with weak defenses and HP. Going by the fact that three out of six previous gen starter trios had the Fire-type as the fast one, this would be likely. Also, it'll be the first time since 4th Gen that the Fire starter is the fastest of the trio, and while Fennekin had good speed it was still slower than Froakie who was 6th Gen's resident speedy starter.

And if that's to go by, Rowlet will likely be a physical attacker since its secondary type (Flying) mainly learns physical attacks, while its other stats will be mainly middle-of-the-road. I could see it still having good Speed, though it'll still be slower than Litten. If Rowlet goes down the middle-of-the-road route stats-wise it'll be a first for the Grass starter, since none of the previous Grass starters went down that path.

Last edited:

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I'm hoping that the final evolutions of the starters are similar to Gens 1-3 design-wise... as in, they have more simplistic animal characteristics instead of having human-like inspirations. We had a ninja, mage/witch, and a knight for the Gen 6 starters, and a sumo wrestler, emperor, and samurai for Gen 5. That probably won't be the case though, since Popplio already seems to have characteristics of a clown. I think that may be why it's my least favorite, because Rowlet and Litten seem to be entirely based on animals while Popplio stands out with both animal and human-like characteristics.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • I prefered Rowlet at first, but I'm liking Litten over Rowlet now.

However, we still haven't seen any evolutions yet. I wanted to pick Chespin in gen 6 too. And then the abomination called Chesnaught came along.

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
  • As of now, I'm going with Rowlet. Popplio and Litten are also cute (and Litten's a cat, plus the cool factor aaa) but Rowlet being an owl and all.. just tops it for me, birds are my absolute favorite animal ever and owls?? Heck yeah♥ Grass is also one of my favorite types as is Flying, and Rowlet's the second dual-type starter ever. *_*

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • Noctowl is my favorite bird pokemon, owls are my favorite animal, and I was overjoyed at the reveal of these starters. Rowlet from the beginning.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I think I changed my mind from Rowlet to Popplio. Dude will try his best all the time. All the hate he is getting makes me sad. Will have to break my streak of always picking the Grass starter first though.

Sgt. Heracross

I Heracross my heart that I'm better than the rest
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I really REALLY tried to fight my urge to pick the Fire starter for my first playthrough, but I just couldn't when it comes to Litten. I feel like my combined love of Fire types, Houndoom & Arcanine, and cats will suit Litten just fine.

However, I do really like Rowlet as well. I used a Noctowl way back in the days of G/S/C, and Rowlet just sparks those memories all over again. Rowlet will definitely be my second starter choice, possibly in a new save file or the other version of the game.

Back