• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Which version are you getting?

Which version?

• Total voters

Ageha1304

Ageha
Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2022
    Probably Shield. I like Galarian Ponyta and almost all version exclusives for shield (would prefer Mawile over Sableye but I can live without it).

PokéPaul1

PokéPaul
    Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2020
    I'm going to get both! Between the different Pokemon available and the different gym leaders, I want to experience both versions for myself.

For me, it was either both or none.
    I ended up caving. I'm going for both.

I'm with you! It's all or nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • I pre-ordered the Dual Edition, so both. :D

I've also pre-ordered the Official Galar Region Strategy Guide and Official Galar Region Dex.

Three weeks left until the games arrive. It's been such a long wait!

pkmin3033

Poll really needs a "Neither" option too.

As things stand, I don't know if I will be purchasing a copy of either of these games. I have a few reasons for this:

- The obvious one first, I suppose: Dexit really upsets me. A lot. The concept of it is one that I don't like, as someone who has always enjoyed going for a Living Dex and transferring my old favourites - this is something I am completely prevented from doing with these games. I lost a lot when my copy of X crapped out on me, but I still have a few Pokemon dating back to Ruby and Sapphire floating around across the generations. But catching them all is a huge part of Pokemon's appeal for me, and I just KNOW they're going to annoy me with what they cut out...it's going to be popular Pokemon I HATE like Lucario that make it in, and my favourites won't. It's inevitable. You can't please everyone cutting things out, and I am one person who is very rarely pleased. I am also extremely sour that there is literally zero honesty in the communication over it too, despite it being a serious point of contention. Seriously, Game Freak - and Masuda especially - are a bunch of fucking liars. First it was about balancing the game, then it was about making Pokemon "fit", now it's a "creative decision" that was "inevitable" because they just don't have the time and resources, the models had to be redone despite being not actually being redone at all, it was just Masuda's choice, then TPC and even Nintendo were brought in and are fine with it. Lies on top of lies on top of lies. I feel disrespected as a long-time fan of the franchise and I'm not sure I want to continue to support a series that obviously does not value me as a consumer. I expect this from EA and Bethesda, Masuda. Not from you, TPC, or Nintendo. It's disgusting.

- I am really not in the mood for replaying Generation III's plot again, and I just know that these games will recycle it. Gen IV did, Gen V did, Gen VI did, Gen VII did, and Gen VIII will. Evil person/team wants to exploit Legendary mascot. Travel around as faceless protagonist and stop them and become master of Pokemon. I GET IT, OKAY. The games have been getting more narrative heavy since Gen V and it's...never been good narrative. It's basically been the same from RSE onwards, they've just padded it out to include more pointless dialogue. The NPCs are bland and uninspiring. The cutscenes they have now are even more so. It's boring, in short. Really, really boring. I'm sick of it.

- What I have seen does not impress me. It doesn't even excite me, and Pokemon has always generated this kind of feeling in me that makes me feel like I am ten years old again. Even Gen VII accomplished this when I first booted it up...it didn't last, but it still did it. With these games I just...see nothing but a cynical cash grab that did not have the necessary time or effort put into them, by choice. I have tried really, REALLY hard to observe the positives in the promotional material (which, by the way, has been awful in quality) and see the good in these games. Some of the new Pokemon designs are cool - I like the giant Pikachu, the giant Charizard looks pretty cool, the tea ghost is a great idea and I love inanimate Pokemon - and some of the new attacks are flashy. I can see where the effort has been made and I can appreciate that it HAS been made. But is it enough to make up for what has been taken out? Not even close. Wait to judge until I've played? I'm sorry, but I'm not prepared to do that these days...and it's Pokemon. I am pretty sure I know EXACTLY what to expect, because the franchise hasn't changed at its core since the first generation and, whilst that isn't a BAD thing, it DOES mean it's a pretty safe bet I can predict exactly how everything is going to be.

- Money. I'm not sure I can afford these games, with everything else coming out. I've had to ask for a lot for my birthday and Christmas because I can't afford to buy it myself - there is just so much coming out right now I want to play. I'm not prepared to give up my London birthday trip (yes, I'm going to try and get in the pop-up Pokemon Center) or another game I'm really looking forward to just so I can afford a game I may not even enjoy. The end of the year is always hard on me financially, because I take most of my annual leave - which is unpaid - and I have birthdays and Christmas to buy for. On top of my usual expenses of medicine which I kinda need to live, contribution to the household costs (and that's a third of my income every month right there), and other things that pop up because life be like that. There just isn't money for something I'm not sure about in there.

- Am I going to even have the time to play these games? My backlog is horrific. Right now I'm playing Dragon Quest XI S, which I MAY finish before my birthday. That's the week before SnS are released. For my birthday I'm getting The Witcher 3. That's going to consume me for a good 80 hours. I don't like splitting my attention between two games on a single console because I ALWAYS neglect one. So I'd either have wasted my money on SnS or I wouldn't play Witcher 3, which I REALLY want to play. The wait is driving me mad as it is!

Despite all this, I may very well end up buying Shield (because Shield has the better exclusives - seriously, why the hell would I want crap like Hydreigon and Kommo-o when I could have Tyranitar?) and hating myself for it because I'm like that...I always seem to squeeze the money out from SOMEWHERE. And it's Pokemon, and buying Pokemon games has been like a compulsion for me since Gen V, because I can't let go of that part of my childhood, because some of my happiest memories (and I have precious few of those) are of playing Pokemon. But I don't know. It's just...not what it should be. Especially not these games. So I don't know.

Last edited:

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • I am not planning to buy either of them at the moment, but if I'll ever get one it'd probably be Shield just because Tyranitar and Goodra are some of my favourite evolutionary lines and by far my favourite pseudo-legendaries.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    I'll be getting Sword but I've been erring on the side of wanting to pick up the double pack recently. I think I might crumble and end up picking it up

Clarabelle

~Elegant and sweet Mademoiselle~
    Years
  • I think I will be buying Shield. I like the legendary pokemon much more than it's counterpart in Sword and I absolutely want to catch a Galarian Ponyta. Then there is also the issue with the one battle gym. I'm much more inclined towards the ghost type, than the fighting type.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I dunno if i've replied to this thread already, if I have, things have changed slightly since; as of last night I preordered the double pack, I will be getting Shield and the girlfriend will be getting Sword from it. I've also preordered the Zacian and Zamazenta version of the switch lite, while she will use the original switch that she purchased in 2018.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I always get the first one in the grouping, so it'll be Sword for me, just like it was Red and then Gold and then Ruby, and so on.

I've never really been too fussed about exclusives and it's so easy to trade nowadays that I've barely even looked at what's in Sword vs Shield. I guess I'm slightly disappointed that I won't see Galarian Ponyta in the wild but let's be honest—by the time I get to that damn livestream forest, I'll probably want to leave immediately anyway, so it's fine. I'll just trade for my Ponyta LOL.

Years
  • Probably getting Sword, I prefer Zacian and Bea over Zamazenta and Allister . On the other hand, I really prefer the Shield-exclusive Pokémon. Farfetch, Mawile and Hydreigon are all nice but doesn't compare to Tyranitar, Galarian Ponyta, Sableye and Reuniclus for me. I'm so conflicted right now, I might end up getting both.

Years
    • Age 33
    • uk
    • Seen Jun 2, 2021
    I will be getting Shield I really like Galarian Ponyta Farfetch looks cool as well but may get him from wonder trade

Back