• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Whitney would be a Fairy Type Gym Leader today

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • What trainers do you think would have different type specialties/be completely different in terms of their teams if the game they were in came out today? Or they were in more modern Pokemon games? Pokemon World Tournament notwithstanding, let's ignore that for this thread. Think about this thread from generation 7 or 8 perspective with all 898 Pokemon being available to them.

I honestly think Whitney would be a fairy type gym leader in modern times. She has pink hair and is "cute", so I'd imagine if she were in a modern Pokemon game, instead of being in gens ii and iv, she'd be a Fairy type Gym leader. I don't think much would actually change, though, except she'd have a Jigglypuff alongside her Clefairy.

Claire would have different varieties of Dragon types other than just Dragonairs and Kingdra, obviously. I could honestly imagine her having a Goodra or Dragapult in modern day. They match her color scheme especially.

I think Lance would also have more variety. I know LG/PE gave him a Mega Charizard and Alolan Exeggutor, but I'd imagine him to have actual Dragon types. Not, you know, a Gyarados and Seadra.

I think the rest of Kanto elite four, and Johto version of the Kanto Elite Four are mostly fine. Except I think Karen would have a Zoroark or Liepard. Could also see her with a Mega Tyranitar. I actually looked at the Johto version of the Kanto Elite Four and noticed a lot of them have Pokemon that can mega evolve. So, maybe Will would have a Mega Slowbro, and Bruno would have a Mega Lucario. Koga would probably have a Gigantamax Garbodor since... I don't think any of the Poison type megas truly fit him.

I honestly think all the Elite Four would have Mega Pokemon in modern times, actually. Maybe all gym leaders after the 5th one would have a signature mega Pokemon, too. Or Gigantamax, as well.

I don't know what else I can think of, though.

Years
  • Imo Morty desperately needs an overhaul. he has nothing but gen 1 ghosts.
    The gengar he should keep, and become a mega gengar.
    Misdreavus is a gen 2 mon, so add its gen 4 evolution Mismagius in.
    To replace the other 2: Dusknoir and Chandelure.

Also Chuck, he only has 2 kanto fighting types. I'd give him two Johto ones instead: Mega Heracross & Hitmontop.
    Maybe add 1 new mon to his team too: Gallade

There are others too, but this would get pretty lengthy lol

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Imo Morty desperately needs an overhaul. he has nothing but gen 1 ghosts.
    The gengar he should keep, and become a mega gengar.
    Misdreavus is a gen 2 mon, so add its gen 4 evolution Mismagius in.
    To replace the other 2: Dusknoir and Chandelure.

Also Chuck, he only has 2 kanto fighting types. I'd give him two Johto ones instead: Mega Heracross & Hitmontop.
    Maybe add 1 new mon to his team too: Gallade

There are others too, but this would get pretty lengthy lol

I greatly encourage you to talk about any other examples you'd like.

Also, I think that every single "Idol" trainer class character will now be Fairy Type trainers. I didn't think about this when I first made this thread.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Most of the Johto leaders and Elite Four could use a revamp since their teams are very uninspired and sad. It looks as if Johto gym leaders were scared of using Johto Pokémon or something, because for some reason half of them only use Kanto Pokémon (even in the remakes), I think it's the only gen where that happens.

If I could revamp their teams, it would be something like this (trying to keep it consistent with the moment in the game you battle them, i.e. not throwing fully evolved teams too early, not including Megas and Dynamax, and making sure they all have at least one Pokémon from Johto)

Falkner: Pidgey & Murkrow (Illegal Pidgeotto makes no sense when Murkrow has actually higher stats and is a more interesting choice for a leader's Ace than a bird you can find everywhere)

Bugsy: Spinarak, Dwebble, Scyther. Spinarak is Kakuna's replacement but with access to moves stronger than Poison Sting :), and Dwebble is a nice early-game counter for 2 of 3 Bug type's weaknesses.

Whitney: Clefairy, Miltank, and one more Fairy or Normal type. Since I consider her team the one that needs less changes, I'd keep Miltank as her ace and just convert her gym to dual Normal+Fairy type.

Morty: Sableye, Misdreavus, Gengar, and Haunter or something else of similar strength. I still don't know why even in the remakes the only Ghost introduced in Gen 2 isn't anywhere in the Ghost gym.

Chuck: Keep Primeape and Poliwrath. Add Heracross which for some reason isn't in neither Chuck's nor Bruno's team and something else that isn't too strong.

Jasmine: Steelix is fine, but two Magnemites on the 6th gym is ridiculous. Replace with Magneton, Lairon/Bastiodon, and Skarmory.

Pryce: Arguably the most ridiculous Johto gym leader. Even back then there was no reason to make his team more decent when Jynx, Sneasel and Cloyster already existed. I'd update him to Mamoswine, Dewgong, Weavile, Jynx, and Eiscue.

Clair: To differentiate her from Lance, I'd give Clair a team of Dragons that aren't pseudo legendaries, something like: Kingdra, Turtonator, Druddigon, Duraludon, and Altaria.

Years
  • I think Korrina should've had her gym Pokémon replaced with more fighting types introduced in XY so it isn't just Hawlucha. Machoke can probably stay, but instead of Mienfoo, Pancham would've been cool to see. Or even something like Mienfoo, Hawlucha, and Pangoro! Same for the other XY gym leaders honestly. I think it's ideal that each gym leader have 2 Pokémon introduced in that specific generation. Can go on and on about those that could have things swapped out to fit that theme :x

Agreed with the Johto gym leaders having very outdated teams too. The last four especially could use a serious rework. Jasmine + Skarmory would have been really cool!!

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think Chuck could use Grapploct, since Cianwood City is located on the beach.

Roxanne and Roark could also drop Geodude and Onix and use Rock-types introduced in their respective gen.

Years
  • I know Brock is an iconic Rock-Type Gym Leader. But I think he could take on that Pokemon Breeder persona and be a Normal-Type Gym Leader, honestly

Back