• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Who are you/will you be using for Surf?

pvnk-as-fvck

depressed little mess
Years
  • I just used my Swampert for Surf but now I really wish I'd taught Surf to my Linoone instead because all of Swampert's moves are HM moves (Surf, Dive, Waterfall).

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2022
    I Surf on my Latios in OR and Latias in AS. I used to have surf on Greninja but have since replaced it with Waterfall.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I tend to use a real teammate in most games for HMs (excluding WhiteTwo. I wasnmt saying no to a free Zorua and lost my last team placement. XD) and went with Linoone. He's pretty boss too, alnog with Double Edge and Stength. XD
    My Swampert gets taught Dive whenever I need it but gets retaught Return whenever I don't. :3
    I... I think Swampert had Waterfall for a while there as well. =w=U

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • I've never in my life used a slave for surf.
    Here in Alpha Sapphire as is my version I'm using my Seaking which has been a solid member of my now level 41-42 team since it's capture as level 5 Goldeen when I'd first arrived in Mauville. At least for now, I may switch it up sometime from now (Fortree) to Victory Road.

The only HMs I use slaves for are Rock Smash and sometimes strength. Possibly waterfall if a water type team member doesn't naturally learn it. Though for the first time I've actually managed to fit Rock Smash on my team with my Mightyena.

Last edited:

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • I had my Ludicolo learn Surf. Swampert doesn't have the stats for it and I usually have two Water Types in Hoenn games anyway. Ludicolo is part of my main team. It was the first one I found and it has Teeter Dance. {<3}

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I use a heliolisk competitively and for surfing. I still need a sharpedo though, I love that pokemon.

haha what Heliolisk can learn surf??

Also I might be a bit late to the party but I was exploring the sea routes the other day and discovered that if you Dive with a Wailmer then there's actually a special sprite for it! Pretty cool.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2016
    I took Metang out my team and made Sharpedo my HM slave and poor Metang is still at 32 and Sharpedo is nearly at 60 lol Idk for some reason I don't care much for the Metagross family.

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2015
    As funny as it sounds I use my Hariyama. I was thinking about using an HM slave because i didn't have a water type but then i found out that Hariyama could use it.

Also i know its terrible on Hariyama because its a physical attacker but i just thought it was so hilarious at the time.

Years
  • haha what Heliolisk can learn surf??

Also I might be a bit late to the party but I was exploring the sea routes the other day and discovered that if you Dive with a Wailmer then there's actually a special sprite for it! Pretty cool.

Yes, Heliolisk can indeed learn Surf. I remember giving it that for my Normal Monotype in Y back in July...

And my most recent go of Alpha Sapphire had me alternating between Swampert and Tentacruel for Surf, dropping the moves from another when I felt they weren't necessary. I mostly had it for the latter because it had higher Special Attack (and a Quiet nature, for that matter).

Years
  • haha what Heliolisk can learn surf??

Yep! I had one in X that I used to surf around since I didn't want to give Surf to my Greninja.

As for ORAS, I use my Gyarados in AS and I used Barboach/Wailmer/Tentacruel in OR. Not sure why I have so many water Pokemon in OR o.o

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    I used tentacool/Kyogre for surf in AS, and I used my Swampert in my first run in OR. Right now I'm gunna use my frogadier for surf in my second run of OR

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    how could you tolerate having Surf on Swampert? lmao

Well, I don't use Swampert in any competitive battling, and I had a full team by the time I got surf, so I just thought it to him so I didn't have to switch out a pokemon each time I wanted/needed to use surf. ;)

Drakonaait

It's pronounced "ite" ...
    Years
  • My shiny Sharpedo, I love that he has a custom sprite. It's rather unfortune that a shiny Sharpedo doesn't have a custom sprite.. :(

Back