• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who is your favorite game protagonist?

Years
    May and Serena.
    I don't particularly care about most player characters from Pokemon, but these two stand out to me in a favorable way.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    I have a few contenders:
    -Elaine, for being the protagonist that best resembles a younger me,
    -Victor, for being the most adorable male protagonist,
    -The Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon versions of Elio and Selene, who are in my opinion a huge improvement over the original Sun/Moon's awkward designs (and have cuter hairstyles).
    -Akari, again for being an improvement over her modern-day counterpart Dawn. Bonus points for red scarf and headkerchief.

Outside of Akari who is wildly popular, they're certainly odd choices, I know. The truth, however, is that GF has been killing it with default protagonist designs lately!

Years
    Dawn/Lucas because I am used to them and they are nice. They're just familiar, I guess.
    Brendan/ May too. I love May's design. I haven't played gen 3 as much as gen 4, so I am more "detached" from those characters.
    The main character in Swo/Shi. Few things can be customized but they are kinda enough to create a person that resembles the real you, or anyway your style.

Indeed this is one of the things I like less in a pokemon game: lack of customization of the main character. Maybe some people don't feel the same thing, but playing as a 10 yo and being treated as such kinda ruins the whole immersion in the game for me. If we had the opportunity to choose the age of our character it would be cool, but it will never happen because that would mean changes in the plot and they also need the character for the anime.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Straight up Gary. He's just... such a pretentious a**hole and i lowkey love it.

Years
    Drayden mostly because of his design tbh, very cool. Giovanni, Red, Elesa, Lillie, Steven Stone and Karen are also characters that I like a lot for various reasons.

Years
    • Seen today
    All Pokémon protagonists have the same personality (or should I say 'lack of'), and I actually don't even know the canon names of most of them :)

So my favorite designs, which is the only way I have to distinguish between them, are the protagonists from RSE (not ORAS), Platinum, and XY.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Hugh, even still think about plasma took away his sister purrloin he never be that douchebag and I really like USUM protag design it looks fittingly better for them

I tend to like silent protagonists, they're mysterious nature and the thousands of ways you can interpret them is fascinating to me, of course there are exceptions like Joel from The Last of Us. Sometimes though, I wish they did talk such as when you play the rest of the characters from Mother 3. I understand Lucas and maybe Flint, but I do think I'd be more interesting if we got to see how Duster felt. I think this decision was made because it's meta.

But if I had to pick... It would probably be Link from TLoZ! It's one of the first games I've ever played, he's very simple but there's also a lot that we don't know about him that people could theorize about.

This is the Pokémon Gaming forum, so your pick should be from the Pokémon game series! But feel free to make a similar thread in the Video Games forum if you want to talk about game protagonists more generally ❤️

Design-wise, for me, it would be Serena. I love her outfit ranges and she looks great in most of them! But overall favorite would have to be Red. He is just too epic even in his silence.

NearAutomas

Acoustic Wonderbag
    Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2022
    Oops! Apologies, I thought otherwise. Then Red is my favorite (I don't think that's very surprising).
    I guess I'll just delete that.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    In a story standpoint, perhaps my favorite video game Pokémon protagonist is Brendan from Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and their remakes, mainly because he saved the world from a natural disaster caused by the villain team in such an epic fashion. He even travels to outer space to fight Deoxys in the remakes. In a gameplay standpoint, perhaps my favorite video game Pokémon protagonist is the player character from Sword and Shield. I love playing as her because she is the most customizable character and when done correctly, players can create characters that look quite similar to them.

Back