• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why are The Professors Named After Trees?

Evoker102

Trade Master
    Years
    All of the professors are named after trees... Oak, Elm, Birch, Rowan, Juniper, Sycamore. Why???

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    It's just a tradition they have been doing since the beginning is all. In Japan all of the professors are named after trees/plants as well so might as well echo that in other countries.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    The same reason all saiyans are named after vegetables.

Theme naming is quite common in Japanese media, it makes it much easier to remember and come up with new names.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    You comment on the trees, but not that fact that all the cities are named after plants???
    Wait, what?
    First Gen was colors, second was plants, third was... all over the place, really, fourth was rocks, fifth was clouds (For some reason), sixth has been similar to third, but in french.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    I think it's a cute tradition and I'm glad they've kept up with it all these years!

For it being trees, maybe it's because the creator of Pokemon loved bugs and bugs live on/in trees?

Rabby

The Samurott Awaits...
    Years
    Oh. It's the first time I had ever realized that they were all named after trees :o (Hm, Prof.Maple... xD)
    I guess its because the japanese rly loves nature, and trees may be a symbol to fit the growing evolution of knowledge and wisdom ;)

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
    I think it's due to trees being known in folklore to be wise and all knowing, in a sense. Since a Pokemon Professor's basically the embodiment of those attributes, they named them after trees/plants. The trend started strongest with Oak, as oak trees are known as old and wise (exactly what Professor Oak is).

Years
    They had very uncreative parents.
    Hmm... I'm pretty sure the tree is their family name, which isn't really the parents' fault.

And as a few others have said, in folklore trees are seen as symbols of knowledge and wisdom, and are worshipped in many cultures around the world. That's not to say that Pokemon professors are worshipped, but they do share the traits of knowledge and wisdom. And just like trees can be symbolized as having different traits, the professors themselves all have different areas of expertise as well.

I'm not sure they had all of this in mind when we only had Professor Oak, but it's one of the traditions I'm glad they kept up on through the generations.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
    I wonder if further down the line we'll get a game where Ash has become a Pokémon Professor. Make a nice bookmark to end the series, should that happen.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Huh, I had forgotten that trees are a symbol of wisdom and such. Though I have to question the wisdom of Pokémon Professors when they seem to have difficulty determining my gender lol. It's not that hard, Professor.

At least there seems to be a reason behind the names. I had thought it was just they picked something at random and just have been running with the theme since then.

Guest123_x1

It's just one of the many conventions/patters in the Pokémon franchise-much the same reason every region name so far has had an 'O' or O sound in it. Besides, after all these generations, such things become habits, and it's pretty hard to break them.

Back