• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do so many people hate pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destiny Bond

Daddow entelechies
Years
  • If you are still in school or university or something, have you realised people always look down and laugh at people who play pokemon? I mean, why do they hate pokemon so much, its really annoying!

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Yesh! I get Bullied because I am a Pokemon fan and Sometimes I say like 'oh, I can't wait to go home and play pokemon platinum' and someone like calls me a nerd or a dumbass. what the hell is wrong with that?! I think it's because they like pokemon really but they just want to be sheeps and 'fit in'.

and I'm gonna disagree with that 'mature' comment Theodore Bruno because basically I'm not sure if your being sarcastic but does it matter if Pokemon is mature or not? I think pokemon is mature enough for anybody to play or collect or watch.

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
    Years
  • I also get bullied, that's why I shut up about it now :/ but I think it's because they only see Pokemon as a baby-ish cartoon because they don't know about the video games. It's actually the anime's fault >.> or the people themselves for not knowing how great the games are.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • It's just one of those things that's cool to hate, like Microsoft. Which just turns it into one of those 'love it or hate it' things. Not to mention it was a huge fad, so when the fad was over, well... Seriously, back in the day, everyone liked Pokemon. :S

But you shouldn't really let people dis it like that. Argue your point back. :P

Uecil

Years
  • I also get bullied, that's why I shut up about it now :/ but I think it's because they only see Pokemon as a baby-ish cartoon because they don't know about the video games. It's actually the anime's fault >.> or the people themselves for not knowing how great the games are.

*points* Exactly! 4kids I think are to blame mostly they change every single thing that makes pokemon, pokemon. I miss the old Ash cos He was abit more mature, witty, funny, sarcastic and hot cool. they took about 5 or 6 episodes of air remember? because some people got offended? some people also don't like it mainly because of the changes it has had

Last edited:

Uecil

Years
  • But does 4kids make Pokemon episodes or is it the japanese guys?

The 'japanese guys' make it then 4kids do the dubs but they take and edit the actual episodes before showing them. they cut out scenes too.

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
    Years
  • why? that's so retarded, they should let the 'japanese guys' make the eps, it will have much more success because 'japanese guys' know better than any other people how to make great animes.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't get made fun of. Go me! I guess its just the age group im in, at most unis i don't think people have enough time to care about what other people do.

Also, remember, there is a time and place for everything.

PachiPachi

The Pachirisu freak!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2011
    I'm not made fun of at school, two of my friends actually like playing Pokemon! But most of them sigh and say 'not Pokemon again!' whenever I talk about it. I just don't talk about Pokemon around peope who I think will mke fun of me.

Diglett

Ice cream snow
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    I don't usually talk about Pokemon publicly, but I had a friend who would always play Pokemon with a friend in class and nobody gave him any trouble for it. I think a lot of people see it as a "kiddie" thing though.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Because it was just a fad during the 90's and every gamer over the age of 13 moved on to more hardcore games like Halo. >_>

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Look at it this way, guys. If they're gonna make fun of you for it, they're not worth your time, and they're not your friend anyway. I personally don't give a flying frik frak what people think. All my friends know my favorite game is Pokemon. Some even know I'm a moderator here because I'm so retro nerdy that I actually mod this junk omg. But what I'm trying to say that if it's something you like, you shouldn't have to feel ashamed of it and hide it. It's stupid that you can't show your interest in a game, a fun game for that matter, and get picked on.

A little heads up too: I'm a senior this year and I have found so many people that actually play, even people in my grade. I even got two friends back into Pokemon and now they're insanely addicted. I've seen at least 4 people with the PokeWalker. I have a huge Umbreon on the back of my binder for the world to see. No one has said anything. Ignore them. They're stupid.

Dreadnought

Imperador
    Years
  • why? that's so retarded, they should let the 'japanese guys' make the eps, it will have much more success because 'japanese guys' know better than any other people how to make great animes.
    Because most dub companies try and "Americanize" it. The fact that most adults in America are uptight, ignorant and religious that they would find someway to demonize anime series like Pokemon.

Take Yugioh, they actually changed a lot of things like the symbols who the dub company thought American's would see as Satan worship. Look at Naruto, in the Manga Hyuuga Neji has a curse symbol of a swastika on his forehead. (Swastika is actually a Buddhist symbol and sanskrit symbol, though it was twisted in meaning by Nazi Germany), they change the symbol in the Anime to an X with two lines.
    Look at it this way, guys. If they're gonna make fun of you for it, they're not worth your time, and they're not your friend anyway. I personally don't give a flying frik frak what people think. All my friends know my favorite game is Pokemon. Some even know I'm a moderator here because I'm so retro nerdy that I actually mod this junk omg. But what I'm trying to say that if it's something you like, you shouldn't have to feel ashamed of it and hide it. It's stupid that you can't show your interest in a game, a fun game for that matter, and get picked on.

A little heads up too: I'm a senior this year and I have found so many people that actually play, even people in my grade. I even got two friends back into Pokemon and now they're insanely addicted. I've seen at least 4 people with the PokeWalker. I have a huge Umbreon on the back of my binder for the world to see. No one has said anything. Ignore them. They're stupid.
    Yeah pretty much if they make fun of you because of you doing something that you enjoy then just ignore them. Luckily for me as well, my friends are way mellow with me playing Pokemon, even some of them play as well. Plus once you get older, you will also find that people are more accepting and mature, and even find some fans on your own. For me if I like something, then I will do it no matter what anyone says because in the end, you control your life and you should never let other's try and control what you like.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Look at Naruto, in the Manga Hyuuga Neji has a curse symbol of a swastika on his forehead. (Swastika is actually a Buddhist symbol and sanskrit symbol, though it was twisted in meaning by Nazi Germany), they change the symbol in the Anime to an X with two lines.
    Well, for what it's worth, when it's not been corrupted by those crazy Nazis, the symbol's actually called a manji (and is positioned differently). You can't really blame the switch on the dub though, the change happened in the Japanese anime too. I seem to recall the symbol showed up on a Pokemon card too...

But anyway, I'm in college and can play Pokemon without any fear of reprehension. Perhaps it's because I spend a lot of time in the theatre building and we're all odd there, but I have no qualms about playing it in the open. Heck, just yesterday I was sitting in Philosophy class and overheard a couple of guys talking about Gold, Red and Crystal. There's more of us out there than you think.

And think about it this way: they may make fun of you for liking Pokemon, but what kind of silly things do they like?

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • In all seriousness, me and my one other friend who likes Pokemon were discussing the games, sort of at the edge of the conversations the rest of my friends were having (I was expressing my excitement at getting SS, my friend was talking about losing her Diamond and buying a cheap Platinum to replace it) and we didn't realise that the rest of my friends had stopped talking and were now laughing.

At least one of them said "That's fine, I remember playing R/B/Y. Isn't Emerald the new one?" (Me and Poke-friend: *snigger*) but the rest were just having a go at us for playing them.

Which is totally unfair, because I know the majority of guys in my year play. We're just getting laughed at for being female Pokemon-players. :/

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Which is totally unfair, because I know the majority of guys in my year play. We're just getting laughed at for being female Pokemon-players. :/

Honey, girls that play Pokemon are sexy! ;) lol But seriously, don't worry about them. Girl gamers are what the world needs more of anyway, so no need sweatin' it. :)

Yeah pretty much if they make fun of you because of you doing something that you enjoy then just ignore them. Luckily for me as well, my friends are way mellow with me playing Pokemon, even some of them play as well. Plus once you get older, you will also find that people are more accepting and mature, and even find some fans on your own. For me if I like something, then I will do it no matter what anyone says because in the end, you control your life and you should never let other's try and control what you like.

Yeah, that's what I've noticed as I've gotten older. In 9th grade, I got ridiculed for still liking Pokemon. But as I've gotten older, no one really gives a rip anymore. The ones that do play always ask me about upcoming events and where to find an item/Pokemon. It's insane. xD I'm like the school Pokemon guru or something. Anyway! Back on topic, you get older, and no one really cares anymore. Simple as that.

And when someone does say something about it, just be like, "Hey, don't hate. It's addicting." That's what some dude said when he said he wanted to go home and play Platinum. I was like, "Dude, you're my new best friend." xD

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2010
    I remember when I was 10, I got made fun of for liking Pokemon.

By the same kids who liked Pokemon a month before that. >_>

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back