• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Wild Battle Items

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
  • So I always wondered why certain trees, rocks, etc. appeared in the background during battles. I assumed it was an aesthetic feature, but apparently they serve a purpose!

https://www.serebii.net/xy/wilditems.shtml

So did you guys know about this? Am I late to the game lol

Hopefully I'm not a loner here >> I had no idea.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So I always wondered why certain trees, rocks, etc. appeared in the background during battles. I assumed it was an aesthetic feature, but apparently they serve a purpose!

I had absolutely no clue at all until one day I just happened to use one of the moves and as I was quickly skipping through the end of battle text I skim read "Mental herb" and had no idea what happened, so I came online to look it up and that's when I found out about the hidden items! It's annoying, between all the exclusive event moves, the moves you need for the battle field items, the moves to baton pass status ailments, happy hour + Amu;et coin and regular battle version, I'm going to have a LOT of smeargles! Just for the sake of making things different, I sure wish there were at least 1 other pokemon that could learn sketch :D

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    So I always wondered why certain trees, rocks, etc. appeared in the background during battles. I assumed it was an aesthetic feature, but apparently they serve a purpose!

I could have told you about this many moons ago. :)

Interestingly, Thunderstones are found in the same spot as Leaf, Fire, and Water Stones, but they are inexplicably unavailable for purchase.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I could have told you about this many moons ago. :)

Interestingly, Thunderstones are found in the same spot as Leaf, Fire, and Water Stones, but they are inexplicably unavailable for purchase.

probably cause they aren't used as much as the other stones. There are only 3 pokemon that need a thunderstone (Pikachu, Eevee and Eelektross) there are 4 locations it can be found naturally (Route 10, Route 11, Route 13, Route 18) and you can get them from super training anyway.

Interstingly though, there are only 3 pokemon that need the thunderstone, 4 that need the fire stone, 5 that need the leaf stone and 6 that need the water stone. I wonder if that is some weird coincidence or if it was intentionally numbered that way.

Venun

Hoarding since 1985
    Years
  • oh wow, I have noticed I could surf down a stalagmite, but thought it was merely cosmetic :p awesome to know, thanks for sharing :D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I never knew about the wild battle items until a few days into my first play through, when I used Razor Leaf on patches of tall grass and picked up some Mental Herbs.

Other than that, I didn't really care about these, even though they were nice bonuses post-battle.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    To be honest, I didn't know about this at all until now! This seems like a great feature, and gives more of a realistic feel to games; I really like it. Only thing I'm disappointed by, though, is that there aren't enough smash-able content, and also not enough moves that could be used to break them. Hope they add more in future.

Years
  • I must be one of the only ones who found out about this earliest. It was an interesting feature being able to find things such as trees outside and rocks in caves that would give off certain items if you use moves on them. You could even get rare berries and stones this way, but it was a stretch.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • To be honest, I didn't know about this at all until now! This seems like a great feature, and gives more of a realistic feel to games; I really like it. Only thing I'm disappointed by, though, is that there aren't enough smash-able content, and also not enough moves that could be used to break them. Hope they add more in future.

This is why I never noticed it. I never use Razor Leaf, Rock Slide, Surf, etc. in battle.

The moves they chose to activate this bonus feature seem so arbitrary. They make sense, but they're things that are "eh" for being in actual movesets.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I could have told you about this many moons ago. :)

Thunderstones can be found through this method?! Wow, I suddenly have a reason to use this. :o Thanks!

*checks rest of list* And apparently there's an item called Snowball I never knew about... Yay, I'm learning so much today! ^_^

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Thunderstones can be found through this method?! Wow, I suddenly have a reason to use this. :o Thanks!

*checks rest of list* And apparently there's an item called Snowball I never knew about... Yay, I'm learning so much today! ^_^
    Indeed there is! :)

For anyone interested:

An item to be held by a Pokémon. It boosts Attack if hit with an Ice-type attack. It can only be used once.

Years
  • I remember using a move once and getting an item after the battle ended, which confounded me until I saw the "Wild Item Mechanics" page on Serebii XD I think it's a really neat feature, though it sucks if you don't have any Pokemon with the necessary moves. It's also cool how some of the items are only available through background objects, such as the Snowball and Luminous Moss. I hope it stays around for ORAS and/or appears in future games!

Back