• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Will HG/SS replace Platinum?

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
  • well don't forget, platinum will probably be outplayed like diamond and pearl by the time it comes out so probably yes. It's probably coming out late 2010 or later, because its only coming out late 2009 in japan and usually it takes a year at least from the time the game comes out in japan for it to come out in english

It will NOT take a year between releases. I think we should expect an English version of the games in mid-2010, as there's a lot of things to fix when it comes to languages. The game does have 16 gyms over 2 regions (maybe 3), and plenty of Pokemon, so I think that it'll take a while before we get Hg/Ss in English.

And to answer the question, yes, Hg/Ss will replace Platinum, but not by a long shot. People will still play Platinum to squeeze out all the Sinnoh Pokemon, and then transfer the games to Hg/Ss. I just hope they don't make Hg/Ss exclusive to the DSi.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • No I do not think this is the case. Yes people will probably get HGSS more than Pl but we still have a year left around the world until we get translations. So Platinum will still sell.

PokeGear APPS!!! I WANT MORE THAN 4! XD

You reminded me of the PokeGear. I think it will be replaced by the Poketch, and the company will have it's HQ somewhere in Johto, possibly Goldenrod City. But maybe you'll get the thing at the same time you got the PokeGear?

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Well, I bet it'll at least be a way to get Celebi. I'll probably keep my platinum handy for the Frontier, and... Ok, Gen 2 is pwnage incarnate, but still. Platinum won't go extinct. Hell no.

Edito: Woah. That made like 8 posts before I got mine out. O.o This is going overbard. I meant it. Overbard.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Agreed.
    But the fact that it's a remake and not an entirely new game will turn some fans off.
    WHAT?!!? LOL

You do realize that Platinum is exactly like DP with miniscule and uneventful changes, right? The transition between GS and HGSS will look like a completely different series compared to DP and Platinum.

So that argument is kind of moot... even disregarding the fact that FireRed and LeafGreen were better and more hyped games than Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald combined.

Years
  • I really don't think HG/SS will even come close to replacing Platinum. It is simply a remake to relive the pokemon and the storyline. I will however be playing it much more than Platinum simply because your starter follows you ;D

Years
  • I don't think HG/SS will completely "replace" Platinum seeing as these are entirely different games w/ their own unique features. FireRed & LeafGreen have the flashback and Vs. Seeker. RBY had the Mew cheat w/out Action replay. G/S/C had 2 regions, a radio, and the only rival who was a criminal. R/S/E are the only ones w/ Dive as an HM. DPP have the underground and are the first to use Wifi. Platinum had a new Battle Frontier and a Villa, and the use of Flashlight in Fantina's gym. (Totally makes sense; they should replace HM/TM Flash w/ a Flashlight.) Yellow version had a Pikachu follow you and you were able to obtain all 3 starters w/out trading. ^_^ As for me, I still play all the games. I'm sure there are those of you who do the same thing as well.

Last edited:

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
    Years
  • Of course it wont, I dont own Platinum, nor do I want it, I'm happy with Diamond, and yeah, I am hyped up over HG/SS, but Platinum wont be replaced by it.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • Its very possible that it will replace Platinum in terms of popularity; particularly if they keep the Johto-Kanto connection open for use. G/S had a phenomenal amount to do in it and with the DS cartridge capabilities, possibly a whole lot more on the top. One in particular I'm hoping comes from it is the Safari Zone. I don't mind if they keep it closed for a certain length of time, so long as they have it in there, because I missed that place in Generation II... =(

But for me personally, I don't think that HeartGold will replace my Platinum. Platinum just barely replaced my other Pokemon game, and that was only because of the Move Tutors. XD

burningfoot

Prepare Yourself!
    Years
  • GSDS (I'm calling them that 'cos HGSS is a bit of a mouthful.) can't replace Platinum at the top because you can't get to the top by replacing something that's not the top. The real question is will it be better than the originals? The original Gold is still in my view the best Pokemon game of all time so I've been waiting for this.

I have to say Nintendo timed the announcement terribly. They've taken a knife to the neck of the British Platinum sales by announcing a new game that everyone wants more just before Platinum is released.

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
  • I'm almost completely sure that these remakes will outdo Platinum, at least for a while. People have been waiting for 10 years for Gold/Silver remakes, but they didn't wait that long for Platinum.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • GSDS (I'm calling them that 'cos HGSS is a bit of a mouthful.) can't replace Platinum at the top because you can't get to the top by replacing something that's not the top. The real question is will it be better than the originals? The original Gold is still in my view the best Pokemon game of all time so I've been waiting for this.

I have to say Nintendo timed the announcement terribly. They've taken a knife to the neck of the British Platinum sales by announcing a new game that everyone wants more just before Platinum is released.
    Actually platinum had the largest number in sales for week one alone. So I can easily see this being the top. For HGSS I think it could be the top sooner or later. People will find out about 2 regions and jump on this like badgers. British sales won't be affected. This is for Japan. How many people will really know about this? XD

Ayselipera

I think Heart Gold and Soul Silver will have a bigger effect than Platinum did. Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum were all big dissapointments for me. I really don't know what it is, but there was just nothing spectacular about them.

On the flip side I hear so many people say how much they loved gold and silver and how they have wanted these remakes for so long. I too also craved a remake especially when the IV generation was such a dissapointment. A lot of people also agree that Johto was the best region ever even I say so! I miss it so much<33 I really think these remakes are going to be a big hit.

They won't replace them, now that I think of it ad I'm not as exited as I was a few days ago, when I said they'll completely outclass Platinum.

It'll have a bigger impact in pokemon fans, and people that played G/S/C that are now adults'll want to try out these games for nostalgic factors.

You know, many people are saying these'll be their final games.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    ^I highly doubt it'll be their final game, Pokémon is bringing in a lot of money for them to end now.

Though, I don't think these remakes will outclass or replace Platinum, because for one they are both two different games taking place in two different regions. Both of the games will be in their own position of popularity in some way, but I still do not think it'll replace Pt.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Most likely the way everyone is awing over the graphics and things like that. Also how we now know that the starter follows you.

Back