• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows 7 SP1 Mainstream Support Ends

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
  • Windows 7 SP1 mainstream support ends tomorrow, January 13th 2015. https://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

This means Windows 7 SP1 will go into an extend support cycle where it will only receive security updates (until 2020). Seems like only yesterday Windows 7 was kicking Vista off of my laptop, but it's been 5 years! How time files.

I'm an early adopter, I jump to a new OS as soon as it's generally available. Currently on 8.1 update 1 and planning on going to 10 later this year when it's released.

What are your upgrade plans?

Years
  • I've continued to ponder on whether or not I should upgrade my desktop to Windows 8.1 or not. I have the ability to do so, but I guess I just love using Windows 7.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Upgrade plans? 7 is the new XP. I don't consider 8 an upgrade. I don't see it as a matter of urgency in any case; security updates are the bulk of all updates and are all I see 7 needing now.

Buoysel

Years
  • Upgrade plans? 7 is the new XP.

This is what I am afraid of. 5 years from now people are going to be complaing about their new computer that Windows (Whatver) version on it. I can already here them: "Why doesn't it come with 7?" and I already have my answer too: "Because it's NEW, so they didn't include 10 year old software on it."

I don't consider 8 an upgrade. I don't see it as a matter of urgency in any case; security updates are the bulk of all updates and are all I see 7 needing now.

I'm curious as to why you feel that way. 8 is way more robust than 7 when it comes to... everything that I've thrown at it. It handles stop errors much more gracefully IMO than 7. Windows Explorer is better, file transfers are much better. Other than any personal quarrels with the new Start menu (now a start screen) layout, have you had problems with windows 8 or 8.1 to make you feel the way that you do?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'm curious as to why you feel that way. 8 is way more robust than 7 when it comes to... everything that I've thrown at it. It handles stop errors much more gracefully IMO than 7. Windows Explorer is better, file transfers are much better. Other than any personal quarrels with the new Start menu (now a start screen) layout, have you had problems with windows 8 or 8.1 to make you feel the way that you do?
    I wouldn't call a sadface emoticon replacing any useful information in a stop error screen graceful; no doubt there's a way to change that, but in it being the default configuration I see a degree of pandering to the lowest common denominator. What it really comes down to is the consideration "is it really worth spending ¤100–300 every three years instead of every ten when the older OS works well enough?". It disgusts me to think that many people actually buy a new phone every two or so years when the newer model doesn't offer anything meaningful or significant over the older one. It's like going "oh no, my shoes are worn (not broken), better buy a new pair". That's a silly analogy, but still, I only replaced my work boots when the laces snapped and my feet got wet merely from damp grass. So, that's my mindset — I hate to waste things... or it may be more apt to say I love to wear things out completely. I moved from Windows XP out of need for a 64-bit system and since the 64-bit edition of XP wouldn't support all my hardware, and will probably only move on from Windows 7 when there comes a similarly fundamental issue.
    Further thoughts: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8425638&postcount=13

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • I already moved away from Windows. However, I definitely recommend people to check out the Windows 10 preview.
    Windows 7 will be the new XP, but not as long.
    Windows 10 would be my choice were I to return to Windows. Windows 8 is a no-go for me

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • Support is ending so soon? Yikes.

Just as well I intend on going for a new laptop with Windows 8.1 per-installed. Ideally I had wanted to wait it out and skip Windows 8 altogether, but alas, I need something with better specs and a newer OS, ideally within the next few weeks. It sucks, but yeah.

Years
  • Most of the tablets i've seen available provide Windows 8, so if I were to get my hands on one of those then that may be a suitable selection while that is still getting support. But the Dell that I had before my Mac had Windows 7, for whatever that's worth.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Any Windows 7 PC that is still running Windows 7 by the time Windows 10 is released for at least half a year in my household gets upgraded. Since, well, $0. Might as well.

Buoysel

Years
  • Any Windows 7 PC that is still running Windows 7 by the time Windows 10 is released for at least half a year in my household gets upgraded. Since, well, $0. Might as well.

Windows 10 being freely available, changes everything. There will be no excuse to upgrade. Microsoft is even toting that it will be compatible with existing software.

As long as the "Free for the first year" is actually Free upgrade within the first year of availability and not free for the first year of use.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • 20% of all PCs still use XP (ya know people with pentium 4 and athlon XP who can't afford to upgrade, a common case in Eastern Europe), and it looks like Win7 will be following the same pattern. 7 is the new XP, no doubt.

I'm using 8.1 and Ubuntu 12.04 right now.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Windows 7 is fine, but 8 is nice enough too. Cassino has a really great point about the frequency of operating system updates, though. I don't understand why Windows doesn't version itself like it did with NT 3.x, especially with the advent of the internet. Seems like a money gimmick to me.

Nevertheless, it's not like the operating systems are that much of an obstacle for me. Windows 8.1 seems to be the de facto standard for games which I don't play, and Linux works so much more agilely than WIndows since it's not morbidly obese… I dunno. It's unnecessary, but for me it's like wynaut

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Upgrading to Windows 10 makes sense as it's free and the Areo UI hasn't aged well.

It's also got pretty much all of the features so people who whine about the changes that 8 brung can just disable them.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I still use Vista. Does this affect me?

Not really. Support windows are specific to a (single family of) product(s) under most circumstances.

Though, Windows Vista is going to go out of support in 2017, so you should really start planning a migration to some later version now. (If your PC was bought or built in the Vista-era, you probably should just forget about upgrading it and get a new one when Windows 10 comes out.)

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Wait, what?????? Omg I need to upgrade ASAP D:

The fun thing about Windows XP's support is that it should have ended at 2012, not 2014, if it weren't for the fact the Windows XP got a mainstream support extension. The extension made XP's end-of-support to be made quite a way closer to Vista's own.

I do wonder about Windows Vista users, though. Surely there should be no reason not to upgrade.

Years
  • Wait, what?????? Omg I need to upgrade ASAP D:
    Sure, upgrading is always a plus when it comes to security, but this is for mainstream support, and not overall support. Extended support of Windows 7 continues through January of 2020.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • The fun thing about Windows XP's support is that it should have ended at 2012, not 2014, if it weren't for the fact the Windows XP got a mainstream support extension. The extension made XP's end-of-support to be made quite a way closer to Vista's own.

I do wonder about Windows Vista users, though. Surely there should be no reason not to upgrade.

Sure, upgrading is always a plus when it comes to security, but this is for mainstream support, and not overall support. Extended support of Windows 7 continues through January of 2020.

I was in the middle of a panic attack when I realized that we were talking about the standard support rather than the extended. I think I can wait lol.

Back