• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

World Cup South Africa 2010

Who will win?

• Total voters

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I'm not one to call for a manager's head after such a short time in charge, but something needs to change.

He looked bereft of ideas and imagination, he had problems motivating the players, it didn't appear as though he could organise them and he didn't have a plan B when teams sussed us out.

If he does go (And it's looking likely he will), i'd like to see Harry Redknapp or Roy Hodgson installed as manager.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    I don't want to see any German's laughing.
    Why?
    1914–1918, 1939–1945
    Pow.

*eye roll* HOW CREATIVE OF YOU. I will refrain from pointing out that World War One was everybody's fault. :|

England were rubbish. I agree that it ought to have been 4-2, but I'm betting that if that second goal had been allowed then Germany would have tried a little bit extra to make it 5-2. I love the German strategy - you have the ball, now effing peg it down the other side of the pitch and score. Whereas the England strategy is oh I have this white round thing what do I do no- too late the other team have it. Boo. (Or, in Rooney's case, oh I have the ball I'll pass it to the Germans. way2go England's "only" hope.)

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    Honestly that was a complete joke, i have NEVER seen England play as horribly as we have at this world cup, period. Players like Rooney, Lampard, Terry, Gerrard etc and we get our biggest loss EVER at the world cup. Seriously we should be ashamed. :|

When you are ranked 8th should be more like 18th in the world, cant beat America (no disrespect), Algeria, struggle against Slovenia and let the goal keeper of Germany get an ASSIST you know you are pretty terrible rofl. ~_~

We were second to the ball all day, had no pace what so ever (this is why its annoying to not see people like Walcott called up :/), have never heard the terms "defense" and "teamwork" and the only player who even remotely showed up was Lampard. The whole team looked as though they had never even seen each other before, in basically every match not just today.

Regardless of if Lampards goal would of increased morale (not implementing goal mouth technology is frankly archaic btw but w/e) that was still one of our worst performances in (and in general in this tournament) history. The less said about it the better. :/

EDIT :

Oh and btw, if any Germans want to lol then i really dont blame them in all honesty. -_________-

Last edited:
    Years
    I think that yes that goal should have been a goal by England but seriously whats with England and USA playing horrible first half and attacking more in the second? Next is Argentina vs Mexico. I think you know who i think gonna win!

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    I'm so happy :). You see all the build up before the game? "Germany = beatable, we're better than this team, man for man." :D

Ditto. Think of the time on money spent on the short collages beforehand. Heck, they even had Brian Blessed shouting his lungs out because it was somehow going to help.

And let me just say - that dissallowed goal was an utter joke. It was clearly over the line, and that should have been 2-2 right there. But the fact remains that England were a shambles. Germany still would have won, be it 4-2, 5-2 or whatever. To quote Alan Shearer, "They're lucky it was only 4."

I'm glad they're gone. Now I can enjoy watching the world cup free of bias from the BBC and ITV :)

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I'm so happy we lost against Switzerland and nobody is saying "Oh, we'll play ______, that should be easy for us" anymore.

Picture of the day:

Ivysaur

Years
    Well, today can be branded as "The day of the absolute injustice in sports", looking at Tévez's offside in the first Argentinian goal.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Oh Tevez you tease. Well, it's been an exciting first half in the Argentina v. Mexico match. Given what I've seen today I'm guessing germany and Argentina will be geared towards the finals. Not many teams are out performing them thus yet. But I hope we have a final with two teams who have never won the cup. Doubtfull, but it'd be nice to see.

Ivysaur

Years
    I'm not watching the match, did that stand?

If it did, where must the linesman be to get that wrong?

It stood, even after the Mexican players swarmed the referee forcing him to ask the other members of the refereeing team, while the TV's in the stadium kept showing the image I posted, offside line included.

The narrators thought he would rule it out, but then he ran to the center of the field and put the ball in the middle.

In the end, 3-1 for Argentina. Oh well, hopefully whoever plays the Germany-Argentina winner in the semis will beat them.

But seriously, the refereeing level here is pathetic.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    I think it really is time to introduce goal line technology because it does a better job than five officials.

Years
    There's so much England hate after losing to Germany. I've heard English people say that they're ashamed to be English. Those people can **** off frankly. Yeah we were outplayed, but Germany are a good team and I'm not trying to make excuses, but I don't think the match would've gone the same way if England's 2nd goal was allowed. They played much more offensively, leaving their defence wide open (which is a huge mistake in any circumstance), in an attempt to equalize. If it was 2-2 I don't think there would have been as much pressure on England to score and Germany would've had a much harder time scoring. That being said I'm not one to be biased and I do think that Germany deserved to win, but it's frustrating to see things like that happen to any team, especially your own.

It's been disappointing, but there's nothing to do now, but accept the loss and hope for better next time.

jjeangi

It's me...
    Years
    4-1 and it doesn't flatter Germany at all. We were poor in the group stages and we were poor again today. As for the goal that never was, imo it wouldn't have made any difference to the outcome. If anything, England were fortunate it happened as it took the attention away from how appallingly we'd performed. We were second best from first minute to last.

It's frustrating because you look at our squad and our better players are ageing, most probably won't make it to World Cup 2014. You'd have thought (Hoped, even) that they'd have wanted to push on and win this one because it'll be their last. But it's the same old England and the same old problem. The one thing that sums us up is that we have a world class collection of players, but not a world class team.

I do agree that it wouldn't have made a difference.

If anything make them want to "avenge" that lost goal...to do everything in their power to get it back.

To be honest, I don't think the players really knew for SURE whether it was in or not except for maybe that German goalie. I know that Lampard THOUGHT it was in, but I really don't think that they really knew for SURE because of the angle looked at the goal from and the fact that it bounced pretty quickly...

I'm sure in half time they watched the replay and THEN everybody knew it was a goal, but I'm not so sure they were certain before then...They certainly would have argued with the ref more if they did..

------

I think any fast team could have beaten England on the counterattack on this given day. I can't put my finger on why England's defense was sooo poor today...

Anybody know?

Maybe these superstars just can't play together... :/

I was for Germany to win, but it's really sad to see the English have to go home like this because of one really bad game...But it happens.

There's so much England hate after losing to Germany. I've heard English people say that they're ashamed to be English. Those people can **** off frankly. Yeah we were outplayed, but Germany are a good team and I'm not trying to make excuses, but I don't think the match would've gone the same way if England's 2nd goal was allowed. They played much more offensively, leaving their defence wide open (which is a huge mistake in any circumstance), in an attempt to equalize. If it was 2-2 I don't think there would have been as much pressure on England to score and Germany would've had a much harder time scoring. That being said I'm not one to be biased and I do think that Germany deserved to win, but it's frustrating to see things like that happen to any team, especially your own.

It's been disappointing, but there's nothing to do now, but accept the loss and hope for better next time.

I still think Germany would have beaten them on the counterattack. I was saying that to my dad, and then some British ESPN expert guy said the same thing.. Doesn't mean it's right, but I think it's a fair statement.

Germany played a fast game and England just looked really slow on both sides of the pitch really...

But seriously, the refereeing level here is pathetic.

Always bad call at every world cup...Just happens. Maybe the refs just can't cope with the pressure..

Someone I know joked, that when these bad calls happen, they were probably zoning out and made a random decision. :P

But in all seriousness, FIFA should at least have goal line technology approved for leagues that can afford it..Also for major tournaments such as the World Cup.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    I think if a team comes back from two goals down to get back to 2-2 in about a minute it fills them with confidence. If that goal stands I think we win the match. England always seem to have what if moments like:

What if Rooney hadn't been injured and kept his form?
    What if that second goal had stood?
    What if Lampard's free kick that hit the bar had been an inch lower?

Back