• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Which nature would be best for Kyurem? (And I know there'll be a ton saying "Whatever you want to use it for" but I fully intend to switch between white and black versions as situations dictate) problem is I have one that is Naive Nature that I was perfectly fine using, however I got traded a shiny version for my shiny Kangaskhan from breeding that has a Hasty nature. Obviously I'm more wanting to use the shiny one, but out of my options, which is actually the better nature to swap between white and black versions? Hasty or Naive?

Either Hasty or Naïve is fine, its not a huge deal which one its goes with, but are you really gonna use the same Kyurem for both forms? If you wanna use either form effectively, you'd have to re-EV train it every time you switch forms.....

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Either Hasty or Naïve is fine, its not a huge deal which one its goes with, but are you really gonna use the same Kyurem for both forms? If you wanna use either form effectively, you'd have to re-EV train it every time you switch forms.....

Not really, Ive got it trained as a mixed sweeper already (it's base form has equal base attack and Sp Attack at 130, and it has both special and physical attacks in addition to the two moves that change based on form) so it can go between the physical Black or special white versions as needed as even it's alternate attack type (Special for black, Physical for white) is still it's second highest stat so either way it can remain mixed regardless of it's three forms

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2014
    Pokemons Nature Locations?

Can I find an Adamant Fletching in the first forest that we enter??

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    How to get to Overworld

This may doin like a noob question but I've searched everywhere and haven't found an answer yet anywhere. I have a sligoo and it only evolves in the overworld during the rain but the only problem is , where is the over world? How do I get access to it???

SamStyle

Mega Bidoof
    Years
    This may doin like a noob question but I've searched everywhere and haven't found an answer yet anywhere. I have a sligoo and it only evolves in the overworld during the rain but the only problem is , where is the over world? How do I get access to it???

it has to evolve somewhere that it is raining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICKeJ2hpEHE

hope this helps. not sure what you mean by overworld though

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    To evolve Sliggoo, you need to find a place where it rains (such as Route 14), and train it up from there. Once you're done, it should start evolving. :]

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016

The overworld is, well, everywhere. Overworld rain means the rain that sometimes randomly starts on certain routes, as opposed to rain caused in-battle by Rain Dance or Drizzle.

Years
    One thing to also note, the rain can randomly appear and disappear so if you want to evolve Sliggoo quickly, it's best to use a Rare Candy in this situation since fighting random stuff can take a while.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    Want to breed some perfect IV Poke'mon for WiFi battles

Friends code: 4055-4895-5196

Im using the guide on nuggetbridge, can't link it due to my post count. Apparently this guy is a very accomplished poke'mon player, especially when it comes to breeding poke'mon with perfect IV's.

Now I think it would help if I do a quote unquote "Friends Safari" that has some Ditto's with a couple perfect IV's for stats.

Can anyone help me in this regard?

I am new to breeding poke'mon because back when I played the game, the only male and female poke'mon were nidorino and nidorina.

How do I access this "Friends Safari"? Who will help me catch some Dittos through it?

Right now I got a male blastoise, female venusaur, male charizard, female dragonite, a female Haunter and a, of course, female Kengaskhan.

I think this lineup currently is *pretty* solid, especially if I could breed them into ones with perfect IV's, although I noticed in the Frost Cavern that I was susceptible to Ice attacks for a couple of my Poke'mon, Dragonite and Venusaur in particular.

Is it possible to breed Kengaskhan into having Psychic for an move? If I could figure that out, what I need is a nice counter to fighting Poke'mon for Kengaskhan because currently thats her only weakness.

What about Moonblast? Thats a pretty strong move for a fairy move, maybe is there some way to breed that move into a baby kengaskhan?

This whole breeding thing and passing down traits is foreign to me, could use some help.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    You might have better luck getting answers to your questions in Trade Corner.

Friend Safari is accessed after beating the champion at Kiloude city, which can be reached after meeting the Professor at the train station.

Kangaskhan cannot learn Psychic or Moonblast. You're best off just using the strongest physical Normal move you can find, since that hits Fighting types for neutral damage. Return at max happiness is a good option, or if you really want to risk it there's Giga Impact. Of course, it can also learn Aerial Ace but the STAB on Return is gonna do more theoretical power than a super effective Aerial Ace.

There's a breeding guide here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=321336#breeding

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Friends code: 4055-4895-5196

Im using the guide on nuggetbridge, can't link it due to my post count. Apparently this guy is a very accomplished poke'mon player, especially when it comes to breeding poke'mon with perfect IV's.

Now I think it would help if I do a quote unquote "Friends Safari" that has some Ditto's with a couple perfect IV's for stats.

Can anyone help me in this regard?

I am new to breeding poke'mon because back when I played the game, the only male and female poke'mon were nidorino and nidorina.

How do I access this "Friends Safari"? Who will help me catch some Dittos through it?

Right now I got a male blastoise, female venusaur, male charizard, female dragonite, a female Haunter and a, of course, female Kengaskhan.

I think this lineup currently is *pretty* solid, especially if I could breed them into ones with perfect IV's, although I noticed in the Frost Cavern that I was susceptible to Ice attacks for a couple of my Poke'mon, Dragonite and Venusaur in particular.

Is it possible to breed Kengaskhan into having Psychic for an move? If I could figure that out, what I need is a nice counter to fighting Poke'mon for Kengaskhan because currently thats her only weakness.

What about Moonblast? Thats a pretty strong move for a fairy move, maybe is there some way to breed that move into a baby kengaskhan?

This whole breeding thing and passing down traits is foreign to me, could use some help.

As was stated, not only can Kangaskhan not learn either of those moves, but also they're both Special Attacks. Kangaskhan should only be using physical attacks as it's Special Attack stat is just under half of what it's Attack stat is. Return is pretty much the only move that people seem to suggest for Kangaskhan, but I personally would avoid it. It is indeed powerful, there is no doubt about that, but people constantly forget that as soon as you move that pokemon to another game (either via trading or poke bank) it's power is brought back down to minimum again until the pokemon learns to like the new trainer. Personally I prefer move sets that can be used right away, not spend hours battling or giving it certain items to make it like you, especially i it's already EV trained and you can no longer give it vitamins anymore.

Also as was stated, pretty much the only move it can learn that's super effective against fighting is Aerial Ace, which is not that powerful, (60 base power, 90 base power against fighting types, 135 base power against fighting types if you mega evolved) but here's a complete list of every move it can learn and when/how it learns it: https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/115.shtml

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Can someone explain how Gyro Ball and Electro Ball work? I assumed that Gyro Ball got a higher base power the slower the user was than it's opponent and then used the Att stat to actually do the damage (like every other physical attack) and that Electro Ball got it's base power based on how much faster the user was than it's opponent and then used the Sp Att stat to do the damage, HOWEVER upon reading the descriptions:
    https://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/gyroball.shtml
    https://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/electroball.shtml
    both descriptions make it sound like the ONLY stat they take into consideration of the user's is it's speed stat, is this accurate?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Can someone explain how Gyro Ball and Electro Ball work? I assumed that Gyro Ball got a higher base power the slower the user was than it's opponent and then used the Att stat to actually do the damage (like every other physical attack) and that Electro Ball got it's base power based on how much faster the user was than it's opponent and then used the Sp Att stat to do the damage, HOWEVER upon reading the descriptions:
    https://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/gyroball.shtml
    https://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/electroball.shtml
    both descriptions make it sound like the ONLY stat they take into consideration of the user's is it's speed stat, is this accurate?
    Technically, opponent's speed staying unchanged, the descriptions are still accurate in that the speed of the user affects the base power. But the formula's are still correct in the calculation of base power:

Gyro Ball is
    Base Power = 25 * (TargetSpeed / UserSpeed)

and Electro Ball is based on the chart provided.

This just determines base power. Attack stat goes into the actual damage calculation in conjunction with BP.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    Breeding Question, Im trying to breed a 6 IV aggron. So I breed a few different eggs, My female aron had max def and hp, so I bred it with a charmeleon with max attack and sp def that was holding destiny knot, and the egg hatched and only had max def IV! I thought destinyknot automatically passed down the other IVs so that egg would have 4 Ivs. Help please?

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    Breeding Question, Im trying to breed a 6 IV aggron. So I breed a few different eggs, My female aron had max def and hp, so I bred it with a charmeleon with max attack and sp def that was holding destiny knot, and the egg hatched and only had max def IV! I thought destinyknot automatically passed down the other IVs so that egg would have 4 Ivs. Help please?

Hm...
    Female Aron: 31 / xx / 31 / xx / xx / xx
    Male Charmeleon: xx / 31 / xx / xx / 31 / xx

With the Destiny Knot, the game will choose 5 random IVs to get from both parents.
    Let's say, in an example, the game choose to get HP as one of the 5 IVs it'll extract from the parents.
    The game will randomly decide which parent it will get the HP IV from: either from the male or female.
    It is quite possible that the hachling got the IVs xx / xx / 31 / xx / xx / xx

Just keep trying. You'll get a better Aron eventually. ;)

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    Ohhhh I see what you saying, the destiny knot must have selected all the Ivs that were at 0, so its better to use the power items for the first few eggs til you get the mother with 4 or 5 IVs then use the destiny knot?

Also it is possible to have all 6 IVs maxed out right? Does it take a long time to get all 6 maxed out?

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    Ohhhh I see what you saying, the destiny knot must have selected all the Ivs that were at 0, so its better to use the power items for the first few eggs til you get the mother with 4 or 5 IVs then use the destiny knot?

Also it is possible to have all 6 IVs maxed out right? Does it take a long time to get all 6 maxed out?

Um...
    I think you are confusing yourself with IVs and EVs.
    The power items can be used to max a PKMN's EVs.
    IVs on the other hand are like a PKMN's DNA. You can't increase or decrease it. =/

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Um...
    I think you are confusing yourself with IVs and EVs.
    The power items can be used to max a PKMN's EVs.
    IVs on the other hand are like a PKMN's DNA. You can't increase or decrease it. =/

No, I think I know what they're saying. The Power Items do in fact pass on the IV to the offspring (so for example, the Power Bracer, while in battle, makes the Attack stat grow faster, when held while breeding will always pass the Att stat of the holder onto the offspring. This is true of the various stats of all the Power Items) But to get to the original poster's question:

No, this is not correct at all. the destiny knot didn't pick stats that were at 0, it picked stats that were not maxed (Ivs range anywhere from 0 - 31) The Destiny knot picks 5 stats randomly from either parent. Every egg the destiny knot picks new stats at random. Even with a parent with 6 IVs and another parent with 5IVs you can STILL get offspring that are 4 IVs. (Because the destiny knot could pick the one stat form the 5IV parent that is not 31, and then the 6th stat will always be random) the power items don't help much at all because while they do pass on whatever stat they raise, they ONLY pass down that one single stat. The rest are random.

When breeding with no items, the parents can pass down 3 IVs randomly chosen from either parent and the other 3 stats are randomly generated (there's no rhyme or reason to what stats are chosen and what aren't) the power item simply fixes one stat to be passed down while the other two are randomly chosen, and then ofcourse leaving the remaining 3 to get randomly generated. With the Destiny Knot in the mix, 5 IVs from either parent are randomly chosen, and again, each egg has different stats chosen each time. If you give one of the parents a Power Item, that stat is guaranteed to be passed down while now FOUR IVs are randomly chosen from the parents (because you yourself chose the 5th via the power item)

Basically, forget the power items. JUST use the Destiny Knot and the Evertsone (which passes down the nature of the parent 100% of the time) and just keep track of what babies are getting what stats. So if a baby has 2 IVs, swap that with one of the parents that only has 1. When they're both 2 IV parents, keep breeding till you get 3 then swap one out for that one. Keep going like this till you gradually get parents with 4 or 5 IVs and then you will eventually get one with the spread you want. (this is why the Everstone is important, as you will always get the correct nature so that leaves at least one thing that isn't random chance) just be patient.

Now as for checking their IVs, EVERYONE keeps suggesting the IV judge, but then the person is always left to come back to the message board to find out what his phrases mean, and even then the phrases only mean a RANGE of IVs, not the exact number (unless you get 31) so what I always suggest (and I think I'm the only one in the Pokemon breeder universe that does so) is simply do a ton of wonder trades to rack up Pokemiles, go onto the PGL website and cash them in for 100 Rare Candies (they're half the price of rare candies in game using pokemiles) then hatch 5 eggs at a time, save, level each one up to level 20 and then plug their stats and nature into an IV calculator like this: https://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcxy.shtml and you will know what stats COULD be 31. Whichever one has the most stat that COULD be level 31, take note of. Reset, level it up again to a high enough level that the calculator gives you the EXACT IVs of that pokemon, and then you know! It sounds like it takes a long time, but it really doesn't. It took longer to type that out than to actually do it.

Now, the good thing about the calulator is that, except for a few pokemon, at level 20 everything that COULD be 31 will be listed as 30 or 31, and since you KNOW you have parents with 31IV in stats and you are using the destiny knot, it's a safe bet that those stats ARE 31 IVs, so simply reset, swap that pokemon with one of the daycare parents and keep doing that until you have the offspring you want. I have gotten 5IV offspring within a couple of hours this way. (keep in mind, however, that there have also been times it has taken me days and in one case two WEEKS to get the spread I want, so it's not necessarily a fast process, just keep that in mind)

And FYI: Reseting is for you to get your Rare Candies back and to put your pokemon back down to level 1. That's why you need to make sure you save BEFORE you level up your pokemon.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Now, the good thing about the calulator is that, except for a few pokemon, at level 20 everything that COULD be 31 will be listed as 30 or 31, and since you KNOW you have parents with 31IV in stats and you are using the destiny knot, it's a safe bet that those stats ARE 31 IVs, so simply reset, swap that pokemon with one of the daycare parents and keep doing that until you have the offspring you want. I have gotten 5IV offspring within a couple of hours this way. (keep in mind, however, that there have also been times it has taken me days and in one case two WEEKS to get the spread I want, so it's not necessarily a fast process, just keep that in mind)
    I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this correctly, but are you using the calculator to see what stats are 31? You said yourself the IV judge already does that. And if you're going for 5IV 'mons, differentiating between 30 and 31, or even anything besides 31 is more or less irrelevant.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back