• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So, I've initiated the battle with Mewtwo (Of course saving beforehand)
    But was the saving beforehand even necessary?
    Mewtwo is really impossible to catch...
    With all these low %'s in different kinds of Pokeballs, it takes forever to catch it, right?

So, should I just use the Masterball I have now?
    Or has ANYONE had any luck/success using a different pokeball?

Should I level to 100 with False Swipe on one Pokemon and then try my luck with a different Pokeball than Masterball?
    Saving beforehand is good if you're soft resetting for a particular nature and/or IV spread. It's also so in case you accidentally KO it you don't have to beat the Elite 4 again and hike back to Mewtwo's cave. You can use your Master Ball on it, since honestly there's not much worth using it on in X&Y. But Mewtwo is in a cave, so you can try using Dusk Balls, since those work fairly well in dark places and/or at night. Make sure to paralyze or put it to sleep too.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
    Years
  • Help getting Axew.

I've been in Connecting Cave for over an hour and haven't seen a single Axew. I know they are about 5% appearance rate in the cave, but I've had about 200 battles with no luck. Is there any way to boost his appearance, rate?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Help getting Axew.

I've been in Connecting Cave for over an hour and haven't seen a single Axew. I know they are about 5% appearance rate in the cave, but I've had about 200 battles with no luck. Is there any way to boost his appearance, rate?

There's no way to boost an individual Pokemon's appearance rate. You just have to keep looking. Sometimes, it may turn up when you're not trying.

Zaiato

Captain
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 20, 2015
    Sharpedos HA

Can someone please tell me why my pokedex book that I spent good money on tells me that Sharpedo has no Hidden Ability but the Sharpedo I have in game has Speed Boost which is his hidden ability, is Sharpedo special or something was it an event that gave him speed boost? or just a ridiculous typo?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Can someone please tell me why my pokedex book that I spent good money on tells me that Sharpedo has no Hidden Ability but the Sharpedo I have in game has Speed Boost which is his hidden ability, is Sharpedo special or something was it an event that gave him speed boost? or just a ridiculous typo?
    Your book's information is either incorrect or outdated. Because yeah, Sharpedo does have a Hidden Ability.

Years
    • Age 45
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017

What book is it because Sharpedo has had a hidden ability since there were hidden abilities. (if it doesn't list a hidden ability for Sharpedo, then by rights, it shouldn't' list any hidden ability for any pokemon since it would presumably be old enough to be gen 4 or earlier)

Zaiato

Captain
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 20, 2015
    What book is it because Sharpedo has had a hidden ability since there were hidden abilities. (if it doesn't list a hidden ability for Sharpedo, then by rights, it shouldn't' list any hidden ability for any pokemon since it would presumably be old enough to be gen 4 or earlier)

X and Y official Kalos pokedex

ShadowCrush

Old School
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Sep 19, 2020
    Japanese species names for Hoopa and Volcanion?

I have a quick and kinda weird question: Does anyone here know the Japanese species names for Hoopa and Volcanion? I can find their species in English just fine, Mischief Pokémon and Steam Pokémon, respectively, but what's the Kana for it? It must be in the Japanese games, right? I haven't been able to find any screenshots of their Pokedex entries in Japanese. Can anyone help me out?

damion

Dragon Trainer
    Years
  • Restarted Pokemon x

So about a month ago i lost my 3ds xl with all my pokemon games (pearl to omgeruby) even though i know there is no real point to grab anything before the x/y series (i am a 14 year old vet of pokemon) i had all the events pokemon from x/y and well my question is

Can i get a second chance at getting the event pokemon again? I know its strange to ask but i have this sense of completion when i have the one of a kind pokemon. Anyone with some direction aka help?

Thank you in advance

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So about a month ago i lost my 3ds xl with all my pokemon games (pearl to omgeruby) even though i know there is no real point to grab anything before the x/y series (i am a 14 year old vet of pokemon) i had all the events pokemon from x/y and well my question is

Can i get a second chance at getting the event pokemon again? I know its strange to ask but i have this sense of completion when i have the one of a kind pokemon. Anyone with some direction aka help?

Thank you in advance
    Event Pokemon are only distributed for limited amounts of time, so there's never going to be a re-distribution of past event Pokemon. But what you can do to start rebuilding your collection is checking the numerous Trade Shops we have here on PC. Some of them do have special event Pokemon for sale, and most of them are usually generous, so you should be able to get back some of your collection that way. You could also put in your signature what Pokemon you're looking for and someone might notice and contact you to trade.

damion

Dragon Trainer
    Years
  • Event Pokemon are only distributed for limited amounts of time, so there's never going to be a re-distribution of past event Pokemon. But what you can do to start rebuilding your collection is checking the numerous Trade Shops we have here on PC. Some of them do have special event Pokemon for sale, and most of them are usually generous, so you should be able to get back some of your collection that way. You could also put in your signature what Pokemon you're looking for and someone might notice and contact you to trade.

Thank you so much for that i will do that :)

Your sig is to funny

Reactions: Nah
    Years
    • Age 45
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So, wait, Poison Jab does NOT work with Serene Grace? http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Serene_Grace_(Ability)

you know, for an ability that claims "The chances of a move having a secondary effect is doubled." there's seems to be an ever growing number of moves with secondary effects that it DOESN'T affect. First Secret Power, now Poison Jab, the only reason I don't list more is that Dunsparce is currently the only pokemon I have with the ability and it's move pool is kinda shallow.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So, wait, Poison Jab does NOT work with Serene Grace? http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Serene_Grace_(Ability)

you know, for an ability that claims "The chances of a move having a secondary effect is doubled." there's seems to be an ever growing number of moves with secondary effects that it DOESN'T affect. First Secret Power, now Poison Jab, the only reason I don't list more is that Dunsparce is currently the only pokemon I have with the ability and it's move pool is kinda shallow.
    Poison Jab;'s chance to poison is a primary effect, not a secondary one, so Serene Grace doesn't effect it. Would be nice if it did though.

Years
    • Age 45
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Poison Jab;'s chance to poison is a primary effect, not a secondary one, so Serene Grace doesn't effect it. Would be nice if it did though.

but Serebii says it's a secondary effect: http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/poisonjab.shtml

How do you determine whether one is a primary or secondary effect? I get that a move like Toxic's primary effect is Poison, but wouldn't Poison Jab's primary effect be damaging the target and, like Serebii says, it's secondary effect be poison? And if they're wrong, again, how do you determine what is the primary and secondary effect of a move when it says in the move description that it MAY do this or that?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    but Serebii says it's a secondary effect: http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/poisonjab.shtml

How do you determine whether one is a primary or secondary effect? I get that a move like Toxic's primary effect is Poison, but wouldn't Poison Jab's primary effect be damaging the target and, like Serebii says, it's secondary effect be poison? And if they're wrong, again, how do you determine what is the primary and secondary effect of a move when it says in the move description that it MAY do this or that?
    Huh. Damaging the opponent is never considered the "primary effect" though. Like with Flare Blitz, the primary effect is the recoil damage, the secondary effect is the burn chance. I think that if it has two effects, then it has a secondary effect, but if theres just one, there's no secondary effect.

Years
    • Age 45
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Huh. Damaging the opponent is never considered the "primary effect" though. Like with Flare Blitz, the primary effect is the recoil damage, the secondary effect is the burn chance. I think that if it has two effects, then it has a secondary effect, but if theres just one, there's no secondary effect.

I kinda see where you're coming from, but just for clarity (because I get that the move doesn't work, but I don't understand why so it would be nice to know what precisely is the difference between the moves so it's easier to tell what will and won't work with certain abilities like Serene Grace, Sheer Force, etc, etc) what exactly is the difference between these two moves that do and don't work with Serene Grace?

For example, Body Slam (which does work with serene grace) has the following description:
    http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/bodyslam.shtml

but Poison Jab (which does not work with Serene Grace) has the following description:
    http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/poisonjab.shtml

and besides Poison Jab being useable in Sky Battle and Body Slam not being so, they're identical in terms of description (they even both have a 30% chance on inflicting their effects) so what is the difference between these two moves so you know what is and isn't a secondary effect?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I kinda see where you're coming from, but just for clarity (because I get that the move doesn't work, but I don't understand why so it would be nice to know what precisely is the difference between the moves so it's easier to tell what will and won't work with certain abilities like Serene Grace, Sheer Force, etc, etc) what exactly is the difference between these two moves that do and don't work with Serene Grace?

For example, Body Slam (which does work with serene grace) has the following description:

but Poison Jab (which does not work with Serene Grace) has the following description:
    Body Slam's power doubles when used on Pokemon that had used Minimize, so maybe that's why, maybe that's the secondary effect that let's Serene Grace work on it. Idk

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I kinda see where you're coming from, but just for clarity (because I get that the move doesn't work, but I don't understand why so it would be nice to know what precisely is the difference between the moves so it's easier to tell what will and won't work with certain abilities like Serene Grace, Sheer Force, etc, etc) what exactly is the difference between these two moves that do and don't work with Serene Grace?

and besides Poison Jab being useable in Sky Battle and Body Slam not being so, they're identical in terms of description (they even both have a 30% chance on inflicting their effects) so what is the difference between these two moves so you know what is and isn't a secondary effect?
    With Serene Grace, Poison Jab's secondary chance of poisoning is doubled to 60%. You're just unlucky that the 40% chance of Poison Jab not poisoning happened so many times in a row.

Craetions

Breeder of Champions
    Years
  • Breeding question:

1) Can a egg learn more than 4 egg moves? I know that both parents (gen6+) can pass down egg moves and the child will have 4 of them learned. But are there more? If I go to the move relearner will the other egg moves be there?

i.e. father knows 3 EMs and mother knows 2 EMs = child with 4 EMs learned + 1 EM in memory for the relearner?

2) Can a parent pass down egg moves that are not actively "learned", as in, it can know the move at the relearner, but it isnt part of the 4 learned.

i.e. father knows 4 EMs + 1 in memory + mother = child with 4 EMs + 1 in memory?

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    Breeding question:

1) Can a egg learn more than 4 egg moves? I know that both parents (gen6+) can pass down egg moves and the child will have 4 of them learned. But are there more? If I go to the move relearner will the other egg moves be there?

i.e. father knows 3 EMs and mother knows 2 EMs = child with 4 EMs learned + 1 EM in memory for the relearner?

2) Can a parent pass down egg moves that are not actively "learned", as in, it can know the move at the relearner, but it isnt part of the 4 learned.

i.e. father knows 4 EMs + 1 in memory + mother = child with 4 EMs + 1 in memory?

1) No, it can only have the 4 it's born with. Father's EMs are passed down first. So with your example, it will know 2 EMs from the Father and 2 from the Mother. Because since the Mother's EMs come after, the last move inherited will "delete" the first inherited move. I hope this makes sense. HERE and HERE are some useful links for more info.

2) No, it only inherits the 4 moves.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back