• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    What do you do if you finally corner your legendary bird Pokemon in the sea spirit's den, but land up accidentally killing it, or in my case have to kill it since there seems to be some sort of phenomena where if you use the wrong Poke balls too many times they don't seem to be able to be caught. What do I do, cuz it seems it's totally gone!?!

What do you mean you "had" to kill it? What makes a Pokeball the "wrong" one? Legendaries just take forever to catch.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    Nicknames.

So I traded for a Cyndaquil nicknamed Typhlosion. If I send it back to the person who traded it to me and they nicknamed it Cyndaquil again... Would it still be named Cyndaquil when it is actually evolved into Typhlosion?

I did an experiment to answer my own question, and if anyone is wondering... If you nickname a pokemon it's own name, when it evolves, it'll evolve normally! =)

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2014
    Breeding wish eevee problems..

Ok, so im shooting for a IV bred wish eevee and somehow it keeps getting screwed up.

I started with trying to get a male Smeargle who learned wish to breed with a female eevee and I couldn't get a wish eevee... I heard that it might have to do chain breeding but I didn't quite understand what that was, and nothing was really explaining it to me well enough.

Well I randomly got a male wish eevee on GTS and decided just to use that to breed with instead. So I paired it up with another eevee to see what i get and hopefully start on the IV breeding patters to get a 4-5 perfect eevee.. and all the kids have everything except wish..

Heres the parents:
    Male eevee female eevee
    Wish growl
    Yawn tackle
    Synchronoise tail whip
    Captivate helping hand

now i figured id at least get wish, but I don't. I get
    Covet
    yawn
    synchronoise
    captivate

What am I doing wrong? The only thing that I can think of is that the random eevee I got through trading was a level one. Maybe the day care is leveling it and the moves are getting written over wish.. so my kids no longer have a chance.
    Please help, I've been playing pokemon since red/blue but only started giving breeding a try for the past couple of months. Ive learned a lot through some of the stickies at various websites/forums but some stuff just doesn't make sense.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2014
    What do you mean you "had" to kill it? What makes a Pokeball the "wrong" one? Legendaries just take forever to catch.

Well I try a few different methods of using different Poke balls before I resort to using an ultra ball. I do this to save up on my Ultra balls. When I do this with Pokemon on Lv. 50-up it seems it doesn't work, and if I resort to using to many different Poke balls before using an Ultra ball, it seems they can't be caught.

For instance, the first time I faced Zygarde, I used a number of different balls before using an ultra ball. It got to the point where it couldn't be caught. I practically used up all my ultra balls on it, evn while it was almost depleted of hp's and it just would break outta the Ultra ball every time, so I had to kill it, ir maybe I ran away, but when I turned around and faced Zygarde again, I just tried one great ball, and when that didn't work I just used an ultra ball and it was caught right away. This same thing happened with Zapdos, it got to the point where no matter how many balls, even ultra balls I used, it just would break out every time and I had to kill it. I actually didn't consider running away at the time, silly me, but what I did was turned the game off after that without saving it, and now I'm trying again from my last save.

This is why you save before engaging legendaries. But something you can try is to beat the Elite 4 and Champion again, then go back to the Sea Spirit's Den. In past gens, you could suppossedly do that and the legendary would respawn. IDK if its the same this gen, but you might as well try.

Are you saying there is no way to catch it again if it's killed?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    What am I doing wrong? The only thing that I can think of is that the random eevee I got through trading was a level one. Maybe the day care is leveling it and the moves are getting written over wish.. so my kids no longer have a chance.

I agree, it seems like this is what is happening. In the Daycare the first move to be deleted is the one at the top, so Eevee is probably learning Covet over Wish (although it learns Covet at Lv.23, so if it was Lv.1 I'm still a bit confused). Take the male Eevee out, go to the Move Reminder in Dendemille Town and teach it Wish again. Then swap the moves around so that Wish is at the bottom and try breeding again.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    I did an experiment to answer my own question, and if anyone is wondering... If you nickname a pokemon it's own name, when it evolves, it'll evolve normally! =)

Otherwise I was going to nickname my Metapod "Mew" ;)

Well I try a few different methods of using different Poke balls before I resort to using an ultra ball. I do this to save up on my Ultra balls. When I do this with Pokemon on Lv. 50-up it seems it doesn't work, and if I resort to using to many different Poke balls before using an Ultra ball, it seems they can't be caught.

For instance, the first time I faced Zygarde, I used a number of different balls before using an ultra ball. It got to the point where it couldn't be caught. I practically used up all my ultra balls on it, evn while it was almost depleted of hp's and it just would break outta the Ultra ball every time, so I had to kill it, ir maybe I ran away, but when I turned around and faced Zygarde again, I just tried one great ball, and when that didn't work I just used an ultra ball and it was caught right away. This same thing happened with Zapdos, it got to the point where no matter how many balls, even ultra balls I used, it just would break out every time and I had to kill it. I actually didn't consider running away at the time, silly me, but what I did was turned the game off after that without saving it, and now I'm trying again from my last save.

Are you saying there is no way to catch it again if it's killed?

I'm still not sure what you're saying. As far as I've ever known, there is no "wrong" Pokeballs (or order or method) to capture a Pokemon. There is a formula for how easily a Pokemon can be caught (influenced by the type of ball, of course) and Legendaries just have the lowest "catch number" to plug into the formula, meaning they are always difficult to catch.

If what I've read is correct, Dusk Balls will have a higher chance than an Ultra Ball in caves. That's what I used to catch Zapdos, but it still took about 17 of them.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Well I try a few different methods of using different Poke balls before I resort to using an ultra ball. I do this to save up on my Ultra balls. When I do this with Pokemon on Lv. 50-up it seems it doesn't work, and if I resort to using to many different Poke balls before using an Ultra ball, it seems they can't be caught.

You should've brought a lot of Dusk Balls with you. They make Pokemon easier to catch in caves or at night.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2014
    Otherwise I was going to nickname my Metapod "Mew" ;)

I'm still not sure what you're saying. As far as I've ever known, there is no "wrong" Pokeballs (or order or method) to capture a Pokemon. There is a formula for how easily a Pokemon can be caught (influenced by the type of ball, of course) and Legendaries just have the lowest "catch number" to plug into the formula, meaning they are always difficult to catch.

If what I've read is correct, Dusk Balls will have a higher chance than an Ultra Ball in caves. That's what I used to catch Zapdos, but it still took about 17 of them.

Huh, well you may be right, idk, but this is what I've experienced and when I use the right balls (like ultra balls for instance), it has always works quicker and more efficient than let's say if I use too many other balls (like let's say I use too many great balls or premier balls before I resort to using ultra balls for example), whereas if I just skip to using ultra balls if let's say a great ball doesn't work, they seem more easily caught. The experience I've had is if I experiment with too many different balls other than ultra balls they aren't caught at all, but they're always caught the other way around. You say you always have to use a lot of em, but if I use the right ones like ultra balls, it usually never takes more than 5-7, but like I said, if use too many other ones, I can use as many as I want until my supply is depleted and they're never caught. That's what I've experienced. This has what has lead me to believe this.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Huh, well you may be right, idk, but this is what I've experienced and when I use the right balls (like ultra balls for instance), it has always works quicker and more efficient than let's say if I use too many other balls (like let's say I use too many great balls or premier balls before I resort to using ultra balls for example), whereas if I just skip to using ultra balls if let's say a great ball doesn't work, they seem more easily caught. The experience I've had is if I experiment with too many different balls other than ultra balls they aren't caught at all, but they're always caught the other way around. You say you always have to use a lot of em, but if I use the right ones like ultra balls, it usually never takes more than 5-7, but like I said, if use too many other ones, I can use as many as I want until my supply is depleted and they're never caught. That's what I've experienced. This has what has lead me to believe this.

Hopefully this will explain things: http://www.serebii.net/games/capture.shtml

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2014
    Is it possible to breed a Pokemon without actually having both male and female of its kind? For instance, could the daycare center already have another of its kind as the opposite sex if you leave a Pokemon by itself? And can you breed a Ditto when they don't even have a gender?

Also, I've heard that Feebas and Milotic can only be found in Friend Safari. Is this true and if so how did your friend get Feebas and hoe does Friend Safari even work?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Is it possible to breed a Pokemon without actually having both male and female of its kind? For instance, could the daycare center already have another of its kind as the opposite sex if you leave a Pokemon by itself?

No, you must leave two, but it doesn't have to be the same species. You can either breed any Pokemon (with a few exceptions) with Ditto to get that same Pokemon, or you can breed any two Pokemon in the same Egg Group (look up what this is on Serebii) and get a baby that is the same species as the female being bred.

But what Pokemon are you catching in 5-7 tries? Legendaries, or just regular Pokemon? Most don't take more than a few tries with a Great Ball. Only Legendaries take a long time because of their low catch number.

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Also, I've heard that Feebas and Milotic can only be found in Friend Safari. Is this true and if so how did your friend get Feebas and hoe does Friend Safari even work?

According to serebii, nope, that's false.
    Spoiler:

Both Feebas and Milotic are not native to Kalos, nor are they available in Safaris.
    You can only get them from people on the GTS, Wonder Trade, or from others who can trade with you.
    I had one but eh, traded it away already. Aw well. I'll get one sooner or later.
    I suggest you try and breed a Tepig or Oshawott and leave them in the GTS, asking for either a Feebas or a Milotic. That's how I got a hold of them. :3

I'm not really sure how Friend Safaris work. They're just there in Kiloude City.
    You can access that town after beating the league for the first time.
    Sycamore will give you a ticket for you to get there.

More info on Friend Safari: http://www.serebii.net/xy/friendsafari.shtml

Last edited:

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I'm having a hard time locating a good Hidden Power guide for Gen 6...

Ultimately I want to be able to know any and every possible IV combination that can result in a Hidden Power Ice.

Edit: I have a lot of 31s in the breeding groups to work with. If I can know what IVs are acceptable, it should be an easy matter of checking the exact IVs of some pokes, and knowing which imperfects stats could be beneficial.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2014
    No, you must leave two, but it doesn't have to be the same species. You can either breed any Pokemon (with a few exceptions) with Ditto to get that same Pokemon, or you can breed any two Pokemon in the same Egg Group (look up what this is on Serebii) and get a baby that is the same species as the female being bred.

Then how do you breed a Ditto is what I'm trying to figure out, cuz they have no gender.

But what Pokemon are you catching in 5-7 tries? Legendaries, or just regular Pokemon? Most don't take more than a few tries with a Great Ball. Only Legendaries take a long time because of their low catch number.

Both, but I'm referring to Legendaries. It worked with Zygarde and now it just worked with Zapdos.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Does anyone know how many difficulty levels the battle Maison goes to?

There are 20 for the regular categories, but for the Super categories there isn't a limit. However, after 50 Super battles you fight the Battle Chatelaine, and if you beat her you get a statue to commemorate it. So I guess 50 is the number to aim for.

I'm having a hard time locating a good Hidden Power guide for Gen 6...

Ultimately I want to be able to know any and every possible IV combination that can result in a Hidden Power Ice.

Edit: I have a lot of 31s in the breeding groups to work with. If I can know what IVs are acceptable, it should be an easy matter of checking the exact IVs of some pokes, and knowing which imperfects stats could be beneficial.

Okay, let's give this a go. There's an explanation of the process here: http://www.serebii.net/games/hidden-power.shtml

You can see in the above link that if the formula outputs 13, then the Hidden Power type is Ice.
    So we have to find all solutions of the equation
    Floor(15 * (HP + 2Att + 4Def + 8Spe + 16SpA + 32SpD)/ 63) = 13
    where HP takes values of 1 if the HP IV is odd and 0 if it is even, Att takes values of 1 if the Attack IV is odd and 0 if it is even, and so on.
    The floor function takes the integer part of a number, so we can also write this as
    13 < 15 * (HP + 2Att + 4Def + 8Spe + 16SpA + 32SpD)/ 63 < 14
    Multiply by 63/3 = 21:
    273 < 5HP + 10Att + 20Def + 40Spe + 80SpA + 160SpD < 294
    Note that 5HP + 10Att + 20Def + 40Spe + 80SpA + 160SpD is a multiple of 5, so all solutions are of the form
    5HP + 10Att + 20Def + 40Spe + 80SpA + 160SpD = 275 or 280 or 285 or 290
    Or, dividing by 5:
    HP + 2Att + 4Def + 8Spe + 16SpA + 32SpD = 55 or 56 or 57 or 58
    Note that, because the required total is so high, the variable SpD MUST be 1. Therefore the Pokemon must have odd Special Defense IVs. So we can remove that part of the equation by subtracting 32:
    HP + 2Att + 4Def + 8Spe + 16SpA = 23 or 24 or 25 or 26
    Again, we can see that it is impossible to achieve such a high total unless SpA = 1. Therefore the Pokemon must have odd Special Attack IVs, and we remove that part of the equation:
    HP + 2Att + 4Def + 8Spe = 7 or 8 or 9 or 10
    Now we can see that it IS possible to have Spe = 0, but only if HP = Att = Def = 1. And if Spe = 1, then the possibilities are HP = 1, Att = 0, Def = 0 or HP = 0, Att = 1, Def = 0 or HP = 0, Att = 0, Def = 0.
    We have therefore calculated all possibilities! Hooray! Let's summarise:

In order to achieve an Ice-type Hidden Power, the Pokemon's IVs must satisfy the following:

Either
    HP odd
    Attack odd
    Defense odd
    Special Attack odd
    Special Defense odd
    Speed even

Or
    HP odd
    Attack even
    Defense even
    Special Attack odd
    Special Defense odd
    Speed odd

Or
    HP even
    Attack odd
    Defense even
    Special Attack odd
    Special Defense odd
    Speed odd

Or
    HP even
    Attack even
    Defense even
    Special Attack odd
    Special Defense odd
    Speed odd

Of course, assuming you want the IVs in each stat to be as high as possible, just replace "odd" with "31" and "even" with "30".

I should make a thread with these calculations for all of the types.

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Hey, just asking if there is a diploma for pokedex completion in this game, if so, where is it? Most presumably in a Gamefreak building, but I don't think I've encountered one, unless my memory has finally deteriated.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Hey, just asking if there is a diploma for pokedex completion in this game, if so, where is it? Most presumably in a Gamefreak building, but I don't think I've encountered one, unless my memory has finally deteriated.

Yep, there is! In this generation it's given to you by the Game Director in Coumarine Hotel.

Brentane

Lucario Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2014
    Delphox - which gender?

Going to re-breed my Delphox and raise it properly. But I am not sure if to make it a Female, or Male. Which sex does Delphox look most like?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back