• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Hi everyone
    Right people I'm only a new member so don't be too harsh haha, right I brought my copy of X today and immediately I wanna jump in at the competitive end online, so my question to anyone who can help me could you give me a guide on a team that I can make that is pretty competitive but also pretty fun. My only rule is the team must consist of a greninja so pleSe will someone help me! :)
    All the best and thanks in advance :)

My only suggestion is that if you're going to have Greninja on your team, you probably might need a tank, such as Dusknoir. You could capture Dusclops from Friend Safari, then make it evolve by trading while having it hold onto a Reaper Cloth. You should teach this Dusknoir Will-O-Wisp, Pain Split, Earthquake, and either Fire Punch or Shadow Sneak. For EVs, try 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD. Also, its nature's gotta be Impish.

By the way, I'm moving your thread over to X/Y Quick Q&A.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    What happens if you don't give a tip to the guy at the Scary House? Would a Rotom appear to fight you? I didn't save my game before entering the house because I didn't know what was coming, and I caught a lot of Pokémon I don't want to consider catching all over again to due a few of their rarities in Route 14.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    What happens if you don't give a tip to the guy at the Scary House? Would a Rotom appear to fight you? I didn't save my game before entering the house because I didn't know what was coming, and I caught a lot of Pokémon I don't want to consider catching all over again to due a few of their rarities in Route 14.

The guy says something scary might happen to you, but I still decided not to tip him—nothing happened. Though, I did encounter a Haunter afterwards. Not sure if that's got something to do with it, but probably not.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    It doesn't have any effect on Berry Fields. Its one of like three moves made for Grass Type Support in Multi/Double/Triple Battles. For some reason Grass types got a butt load of support this generation.

Rototiller, Grassy Terrain, Flower Shield...New abilities like Flower Veil and Grass Pelt (to be combo'd with Grassy Terrain).

Yeah, like Xander said. I don't think that there are any moves that help/hurt berries yet.

Rototiller: raises the Attack and Special Attack stats of all Grass-type Pokémon in the battle.

Grassy Terrain: restores the HP and increases the power of Grass-type moves by 50% of any Pokémon on the ground for five turns.

Forest's Curse: The user puts a forest curse on the target. Afflicted targets are now Grass type as well.

Outlier

I plan on soft resetting for a perfect IV'd Xerneas. If I decide to go for a timid nature I will be wanting to teach it HP Fire, will that be possible if my Xerneas has flawless IV's? If not could tell me what IV spread is necessary for learning HP Fire?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I plan on soft resetting for a perfect IV'd Xerneas. If I decide to go for a timid nature I will be wanting to teach it HP Fire, will that be possible if my Xerneas has flawless IV's? If not could tell me what IV spread is necessary for learning HP Fire?

Hidden Power Fire's IVs are 31/30/31/30/31/30. This means that the 31 IVs have to be in the HP and defenses, while the other three IVs have to be even. While HP Fire lets Xerneas hit Ferrothorn, Scizor and Forretress, among others, it's not really necessary, IMO.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today

I wouldn't do that it I were you. Getting a Xerneas with pretty much prefect IVs and the right IVs for Hidden Power Fire and a Timid nature is asking for trouble. The chances of that happening are REALLY slim. Abysmally small. You'd just drive yourself nuts. And like Platinum said, Xerneas doesn't really need HP Fire. It can just use Focus Blast or Close Combat instead.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    i think im gonna use a smeargle, but i dont know how i can learn him ice punch :(

Have him sketch it. You can either have him battle a pokemon that knows Ice punch (the hard way) or you can use him in a double battle with one of your pokemon that knows ice punch and have him sketch it when they use it. (the easy way)

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Regarding breeding hidden abilities:
    Do I still need the female to have the ability for it to be passed, or can the male do it now? I caught a female (hasty) xatu with magic bounce, and want to breed some egg moves into the babies, but for them to retain magic bounce.

Sleeping Eevee

Let Sleeping Eves Lie
    Years
    Do I still need the female to have the ability for it to be passed, or can the male do it now? I caught a female (hasty) xatu with magic bounce, and want to breed some egg moves into the babies, but for them to retain magic bounce.
    I'm pretty sure either of the two can have the ability, but it's a greater chance for the mother's ability to pass on. I wouldn't understand why hidden abilities would pass down differently than normal abilities.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years

The male can pass down hidden abilities however it's said that it only works with a ditto. If the female has the ability though you're good to go with egg moves.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2013
    Hello all
    Okay so I'm not far off completing my Y now and I've took in a lot of feedback regarding IV training and stuff. So now I wanna start my competitive team it consists of:
    1)greninja
    2)ferrothorn
    3)garchomp
    4)gengar
    5)skamory
    6) NEED HELP DECIDING

So my question too all you people who know way more than me which would be your last pokemon would you change any pokemon what moves should I teach the and what IVs should I train my pokemon to have or know where I can get great IV and EV stats from?
    Cheers guys all the best and thanks in advance :)

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Hello all
    Okay so I'm not far off completing my Y now and I've took in a lot of feedback regarding IV training and stuff. So now I wanna start my competitive team it consists of:
    1)greninja
    2)ferrothorn
    3)garchomp
    4)gengar
    5)skamory
    6) NEED HELP DECIDING

So my question too all you people who know way more than me which would be your last pokemon would you change any pokemon what moves should I teach the and what IVs should I train my pokemon to have or know where I can get great IV and EV stats from?

Doesn't work that way. IV's are determined randomly if wild caught, and by parents if bred.
    As for EV's, those depend on what you train on.

https://www.serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml

https://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2013
    Owww okay I understand now but what do you think to that team and what EVs should I train each individual pokemon?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Owww okay I understand now but what do you think to that team and what EVs should I train each individual pokemon?

For everyone but Greninja, just google "[insert pokemon's name here] smogon". You'll get a page with all you need to know for those Pokemon (no one's gonna list sets for an entire team...except for maybe Platinum). Just keep in mind that Smogon has yet to officially post Gen 6 sets for Pokemon, so you may have to make some minor alterations. As for Greninja:

-Greninja w/Life Orb
    Nature: Hasty/Timid
    Ability: Protean
    EVs: 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4Attack
    Moves: Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Grass Knot/Spikes/U-turn/Hidden Power

That should get you started. Once you've done a little research, post a thread about your team in the Battle Center for further information.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Hello all
    1)greninja
    2)ferrothorn
    3)garchomp
    4)gengar
    5)skamory
    6) NEED HELP DECIDING

For the last Pokémon, I'd go with either Chansey or Blissey. It would make a great staller, and help you withstand plenty of special attacks (as well as a few physical ones). Plus, since it's got access to moves like Wish, Heal Bell, Aromatherapy, etc., it could keep your team healthy—always. (: If you decide to pick Chansey, then make sure to make it hold onto an Eviolite.

Outlier

What's a good spread/set for Xerneas then? I was going by one of Smogon's recommendations but I'm open to suggestions from you guys.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    What's a good spread/set for Xerneas then? I was going by one of Smogon's recommendations but I'm open to suggestions from you guys.

If you don't want to spend a lot of time SRing for a HP Fire Xerneas, use either Geomancy or Choice Scarf:
    -Geomancy
    -Moonblast
    -Focus Blast
    -Substitute
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 192 HP/252 SAtk/64 Spe
    Item: Power Herb

or
    -Moonblast
    -Close Combat
    -Megahorn
    -Thunderbolt