• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Ye Olde Debate

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    So this is one of the on going debates in the world of fan made games. We all have our differing opinions on it, but: what is the most important part of a fan game? This could be graphics, events, scripting, you name it. So what do you guys think?

Rossay

Quack quack
    Years
  • Graphics (tiles, sprites, maps, characters). That's all I really look for in a good fangame.

Over-the-top complicated plots just annoy me and events are really just a given for any Pokemon game.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
    Years
  • Story AND grammar, maps, graphics and THEN features; be it Pokémon or not, I consider these to be the most important aspects in a fangame.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • features/events, mapping, story,
    graphics and sound come last. Hell, you could make a game which is made of entirely black and white pixels. just make it good.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2012
    Graphics (tiles, sprites, maps, characters). That's all I really look for in a good fangame.

Over-the-top complicated plots just annoy me and events are really just a given for any Pokemon game.

Amen.
    Although I like it when the plot isn't just about winning against your rival and the elite 4... And I think music is an important part of a fangame as well. Most of the time I turn off the sound because the music is so annoying I want to throw my computer against the wall.
    By the way, I wanted to know, can we use actual songs like idk a song of the black eyed peas or something in a fangame? That'd be cool.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • Graphics and tiles. Good scripting, eventing, story, blah blah blah is nice, but with good graphics it can turn it from nice into amazing.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • Obviously a story, along with decent graphics are most needed in a game, but another thing that plenty of games lack, is proper Character Development. By that, I mean the personality of the character, how they act, etc.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    I'm going to say that graphics is one of the features that will set some games far above others, even if it's not the absolute most important one.

However, also important is interfacing. Graphics and interfacing are not the same thing. I'm talking, of course, about how the system is controlled.

If your gameplay is choppy and your animations smarmy, but the graphics are excellent in screenshots, there's going to be a huge dissonance.

Gmack

I'm back!
    Years
  • Hm,what is the most important part of a fan game, huh?
    Well, I guess graphics would be first. That's what I usually work on first.
    Then comes features/events. These actually put together the entire
    game, so they're pretty important. Lastly, I finish with music.
    That's what I do when I start developing, but that's just me.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • It really depends on the game itself. In a game that prides itself on its plot I expect to see interesting characters who develop over the course of the game, while I do expect the plot itself to be interesting enough to hold my attention. Gameplay is a close second, as if the game is not enjoyable to play then what is the point of even playing?

Years
  • Graphics attract people to the game the most, but when playing it of course the Story.. But if you want a lot of fans, im sorry but graphics is the way to go.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Immersion. If I'm just going through the motions, e.g. having to grind 10 levels, I'm not going to have any fun, and the point of a game is for you to enjoy it.

Of course, what's immersive for some won't be for others. I like free exploration, and being able to wander round and find lots of little quirks and talk to people without having the creator's plot breathe down my neck. Others will prefer something they can rush through, meaning Gym Leaders that can be challenged immediately without grinding. Others will enjoy raising their Pokémon more than anything else, so include IV analyser gadgets and biasers (things that encourage certain IVs/natures/moves, etc.). Others will want nothing more than a way to battle online against other players, so just a minimal region is needed. And so on.

No game will satisfy everyone, so make sure you know which gamer base you're aiming for. Importantly, make sure you tell the gamers what's in your game. If you have an epic story on rails, let us know that's the point of your game so that someone like me won't expect much of what I prefer (free roaming). And no, you won't be able to fit everything in. You just won't. Not if it's ever going to be released.

Pharetra

zzzz
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    In my opinion, the most important thing of a fangame are the visuals. I mean, I prefer playing a game with crappy music over a game with bad visuals, since it's always possible to mute the game, but without visuals...

Himalama

Ghost and Psychic type addict
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2013
    I think both graphics and storyline are very important.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • @Maruno
    I highly agree with that. I think exploration makes a game more fun. There are RPGs like Two Worlds (Xbox 360) where the main goal is to find your kidnapped sister, but outside of that plot is an immersively humongous world for you to explore and sidetrack from the main plot. It's nice to not have "TEAM blahblah is blahblahing blah" everywhere you go.

@P-Sign
    its all about preference. If you like BW graphics, you might not like a GSC-style game. If you like GBA graphics, you may not like HGSS. It's all about what the player wants.

@everyone saying graphics

Basically what I said above. Just cause a game has good graphics won't mean it's good (...Wont point anyone out...). You can have Pokemon Colosseum graphics but if its a game where everyone talks like their a bunch of hippos and Pokemon center tiles in a players house, it really just kills the game.

Back