• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] Youkai Academy [M][IC]

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • Tenma Mizuho
    School Hallway

You ever get that feeling that you're on the verge or remembering that you forgot something? Kind of like when you get in class but you realize something's wrong and you start to question whether you brought in your homework but feel like you didn't have any and can only really wait for the teacher to maybe start collecting to know? That's what it felt like today after I woke up, probably because I ended up accidentally bumping into someone, tripping, and falling on my face. Which is pretty par for the course, it happens just about everyday, brain damage much, right?

But because it was the start of the new year...was? Is? Is now then or is then then? When is now? Hang on I'm confusing myself...

Let's go with uh...it was the start of the new year and I decided that it was time to start on my path to becoming student council president! Again! For some reason. I ran last year too but having only been a member of the student body for part of the year I wasn't really experienced enough, pluuuuuuus Terry kinda hinted that I shouldn't in the letter, not until I felt comfortable. It was really weird to hear that because I always feel comfortable, always always! Well, except for when I get into class and realize that everyone has someone to talk to except me or when I try to go into my youkai form and realize that I don't have a youkai form or when I look in the mirror or hear my voice, but basically other than all those times I feel really okay with myself and how I fit into this school!

But that was my plan regardless! And the first step to that was, of course, communing with the students and networking! There was a certain new class that I'd specifically found myself attracted to, mostly because they felt like a colorful cast of characters that would be a lot of fun to play around with. Play with? Hang around? I dunno, they seemed like a good starting point, nonetheless.

The plan was originally to come in and introduce myself to the whole class but students were already leaving and, not gonna lie, so was my confidence. Partially due in part to the searing headache I had at the time, but mostly because the ideal scenario I'd built up in my head was washing away slowly. But I did see Ryuu Bu there and had to say hi, especially because he looked like he'd basically just had the wind kicked out of him. In fact, upon peering into the room, the atmosphere was heavy with...not tension. Something closer to bad juju. Just as I was about to, however, I was passed by someone who looked really majestic. It was a school for youkai so running into someone that looked like they came straight out of a painting wasn't that unusual, but she did in a way that looked very human. And she seemed familiar at least. I stepped away from the classroom door and poked her on the shoulder. Like a dunce, though, I didn't even think about what I was going to say after that.

"I, um..." I looked about for a moment before taking a deep breath (well, 3 deep breaths) and collecting myself. "Are you a member of that class over there? Is Mr.Ryuu okay he seems a bit winded?" I ruffled my hair a bit. "Also, uh...do I know you?"

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
    Years
  • Divine von Alter feat. Tenma Mizuho

Divine felt a light finger push against her shoulder and turned around. "I, um..."

The blue haired woman blinked a few times before trying to bring up a warm smile towards the student who had come up to her. It wasn't someone from this class but someone from last year who was a second year student now. If her memory served her right, this was Tenma.

"Are you a member of that class over there? Is Mr.Ryuu okay he seems a bit winded? Also, uh...do I know you?"

Divine sighed a bit. The reason her father looked so winded was entirely her fault. Her clumsiness drenched a student in an attempt to stop the chaos another student was causing. "I suppose I do look like another student." Divine started, smiling a bit as she was talking about her appearance. She didn't look very old, after all and much less a teacher. She was mistaken for a student by some of the other new teachers before too.

"Mr. von Alter is fine. It's the first class of the day and the students were a bit… a bit lively." Divine's warm smile turned into a painful one as she tried to hide the fact that her father looked that way because of her. It wouldn't be very professional after all. "And I think you do, Tenma. I was your sports teacher last year."

My eyes widened. "Wait, you were my teacher?" I looked her over once. "Wait, you're a teacher?" My face started to get really red because I started to go back in my head and realizing that, behind all the haze and fuzziness, I actually did see her at the butt end of last year. In a way. "Ohmygodohmygodohmygod I'm so embarrassed I thought you were a student back then, too!" I ruffled my hair again, realized how much of a mess it was getting to be, and tried to settle it with my hands. Smooth, Tenma.

"Uh...well for reintroductions then, I'm Tenma." I smiled the best I could to hide my apparently wild and aggressive social anxiety. "Tenma Mizuho, future student council president!"

"Oh my, what confidence." Divine smirked at him...her? Thinking about it now, she didn't know Tenma's gender back then either. She or… he looked much like a guy, actually… just a guy? None of his or her features were even slightly feminine but she could remember her father saying that Tenma referred to him or… herself as a girl?

Divine tried hard to not let this confusion be shown on her face. "I'm Divine von Alter. Still a sports class teacher but I don't blame you for thinking I was a student. I'm Ryuu's daughter." as far as introductions go, Divine got a little bit interested in the "future student council president. "So, you're the future student council president, huh? Did you put yourself electable yet?"

"Yeah, in fact," I reached into my pocket and slid my hand into one of my spellcasting gloves, snapping my fingers and saying "pagina" under my breath. It...literally just meant page in Spanish, and its sole purpose was to do what it did in that instance, which was to make a flyer materialize out of the air. It was a practice spell, alright?

I grabbed it out of the air and got in close, detailing what the flyer actually was. "Apart from this picture of moi up in the top left, my mission statement, contact information, and academic résumé can all be found here. I'm kind of a big deal." I handed the flyer to Divine and laughed. "Well, only a big deal when it comes to grades. Nobody ever really expects a girl like me to be a nerd when they see me," I sighed. "...But they sure as hell treat me like one."

Bingo! Divine had a Eureka moment as Tenma outed her own gender. Now she didn't have to awkwardly guess it. Divine took the flyer from the rather masculine girl and read it. "I see." she spoke softly. "I'm going to guess you haven't had too much luck yet then. Is there something I can help you with?" The shorter girl of the two asked. From what Tenma said, it was safe to assume she didn't have much luck yet with the votes seeing as she referred to being treated as a nerd. "Is your wish to become student council president the reason you came to this classroom?"

"Well…" I got kinda quiet. "If I'm gonna be honest, I'm not really sure." I looked in the window of the classroom and reviewed what seemed to be the aftermath of a clown fiesta. "Books tell me that I need to understand people to lead people. Terry told me that confidence and not getting hooked up on negative emotions is important, 'especially for me'." I looked down. "But I don't really know what I'm doing. About any of this." I looked back at Divine whose visage was surprisingly comforting. "The other entrants probably put themselves out there because they actually want something specific, like nicer dorms, cleaner hallways, etc. etc. I don't have that though."

I looked down at the flyer that I handed to Divine, at the time not really caring whether I was invading her personal space...but then again, I guess I never do. "My mission statement," I pointed down at a brief paragraph, "talks about how I want to keep the students safe, help push an agenda where no one gets hurt or dies, which sounds weird and believe me I think so too, but they aren't my words." I looked back at the classroom again, this time with a more somber expression. "I have other reasons, personally. Though I guess my own reasons aren't far off from-" I realized how long I'd been droning on and my head snapped back, accompanied by an audible gasp. If my face wasn't red before it definitely was then. Then? Now? This is what happens when I start thinking too much, Terry was right. "Sorry, I'm just not used to talking to anyone for this long so my mind just kinda takes control, y'know?" I laughed nervously. "I think I'm just gonna go, Ryuuby's probably got enough on his plate as is and I've taken up waaaaaaaay too much of your time."

"Ryuuby…?" Divine repeated quietly and blinked a few times. Throughout the years, her father had received many nicknames but Ryuuby was a new one. "Don't worry about taking up my time, I'm a teacher anyway." Divine smiled at the red face of Tenma. "Besides, no more classes today for class 1-A, so I'm pretty much free to go." Divine's attention went back at the flyer and the words of the taller… female.

"If you really need help, please do ask for my assistance." she said but was more worried about… "Hey… What did you mean with that this mission, keeping students safe and the agenda where no one gets hurt, not being your words?" she asked curiously, not really reacting to Tenma who was a little bit too close for comfort.

"It's something a friend wanted, or a teacher I suppose." I scratched my chin. "Er...not like a school teacher, more like a life teacher. A mentor. Someone who helped me out when nothing was making sense." I moved away from her and thought for a moment, probably a bit more cynical than usual. "To be honest, I think it's pretty naive. I don't know if the guy has some sort of justice complex or something or if something happened to him but what he wants probably wasn't even something he could do in that position. He seemed like a smart guy though, but I feel like if he could do that then in that sort of position he could probably-" I caught myself. "Jesus, talking really is like a drug, huh?" I laughed nervously as I came to the shocking realization that I was actually pretty annoying. So much for having a filter.

Divine kept silent the entire time and listened attentively to the words Tenma was throwing left and right. The more she talked, the more interesting it all sounded but mostly because question marks kept popping up. However, Divine had to keep this childish curious emotion in control, even if it was just slightly. She wondered who this guy was and yet she felt like she shouldn't ask, so she shook her head with a smile on her face remaining still.

"Tenma, what is it that you want? What do you want to achieve when you become Student Council President?" Divine decided that this was going to be the last question she was going to ask. In the meantime, she could see her father watching them from his desk in her eye corners.

I looked at her blankly. I'm...looking at her blankly. What did I want to achieve, exactly? There was an answer sticking in my head but I couldn't pull it out and say it. It was something that seemed so obvious to me but molding it into an actual thought seemed impossible. Or maybe it just wasn't a good idea to say it. I avoided eye contact and said, "I've gotta go," walking past her at a light jogging pace and making my way out of the building.

Divine blinked, several times in fact, as she watched Tenma leave in a hurry. A little bit confused she shrugged her shoulders. Did she ask something she shouldn't have?

Years

• Laguna Beach, Hael Clar, Harold Whiterune, Rin Wrangell
    Classroom

Laguna was displeased with the assigned task. "Ugh… reading? That stupid human trick?" She put her book in her bag, getting out the door before anyone else. She had more important issues than some dusty old history lesson. She had made a bad first impression, and she needed to fix that. So she stood outside the door and waited for her target to exit so she could talk to him.

Hael jammed his book in his bag and groggily got up from his seat, filing out of the classroom behind a few of the other students. Once he was out in the halls again, he immediately reverted back to his true self, his clothing and bag thankfully shifting to be smaller along with him. Hael took to the air to avoid being stepped on.

"Honestly, why do we have to make ourselves bigger? It's not like a fairy takes up too much room or something. What's that asshole playing at? What self-respecting fairy wants to be big? It makes you so gangly and awkward and heavy. Stupid."

Laguna had almost forgotten what she was waiting for, but remembered when the fairy man flew by. She followed after him, pushing another student out of the way.

Hael continued grumbling and ranting to himself, largely unaware of Laguna's eyes on him. She moved in front of him, a determined look on her face, throwing her arms out to block his path. "Hey! Remember me? From class?"

Hael stopped and turned around to the source of the voice, very quickly realising who was bothering him.

"How exactly was I going to forget?" He responded.

Laguna sighed in relief, grinning her cheerful smile. "Oh good! I was afraid you'd forget about me out of spite. One of my sisters does that sometimes. I need to apologize to you for accidentally soaking you in class. I forgot I was holding water, and I'd like to be friends."

"Twice," Hael pointed out, distinctly remembering having water dumped on his head more than once that morning. "Just how forgetful are you exactly?"

"Twice?!" Laguna thought back to class in panic, gasping when she remembered. "You did get soaked twice! Pebble was right, I am an airhead!" She fell to her knees dramatically, grabbing for his hands. "Please forgive me! I'll do anything to make it up to you!"

"You can make it up to me by drenching the icy guy again," Hael replied immediately, "We'll see about forgiveness… also let go of me."

Laguna did as instructed, rocking back onto her heels as she thought about Hael's words. "Make up for soaking you twice by soaking him once… still need to apologize to him once already… but this means… I can apologize twice at once…" You could almost see the gears turning in her head, and when it finally clicked, she jumped back to her feet, grinning happily. "Oh, like a joke! People like jokes! Let's go find him!"

"Let's do that," Hael replied with a smirk.

The class session had ended a moment earlier, a few of the students had already left the classroom except for a select few. Harold would've chosen to skip all the pleasantries and went straight to the rooftop, but the fact that he didn't have any other friends other than Bill, Elena, and unfortunately his roommate Hael was kind of sad even in this unique mage's eye. So he decided to try to find a new friend, he set his eye on the student sitting next to him. Besides, he already helped him this morning, it wouldn't be that hard to make one friend or at least an acquaintance.

He walked from his desk towards his target. "Hi, sorry to disturb you so suddenly. Are you okay?"

"Uhm, hello" the snowman replied, definitely sounding a bit detached. He only really wanted to get back in the class but, let's be honest, that was mostly out of laziness. If he really wanted to grow as a… Yokai, he had to be more involved in conversations with his classmates anyways. "I'm alright, just very puzzled. And… thanks for before!" He continued, making a slight but genuine smile.

"Haha, no worries. I'm just glad that you look fine. Ah, pardon my rudeness. My name is Harold Whiterune, you can just call me Harold." Harold extended his right arm towards his classmate.

The Snowman avoided any contact with the other classmate, dodging his hand before introducing himself. "Nice to meet you, I'm Rin." He touched his hair one more time… "Yes, I'm a Snowman."

The mage smiled at his friend's behavior, he deemed the action of the Snowman amusing but he also loved the thoughtfulness his new friend was trying to convey. "Haha, I appreciate your kindness, but you don't have to be that reserved with me."

Harold immediately conjured a small fireball when he opened his right hand, it floats slightly above the palm of the mage. "Well, as you could probably guess. I'm a mage and part-time alchemist, although my recent endeavors actually indicate that I'm a full-time alchemist and part-time mage instead, haha." He quickly retracted his right arm, making the fireball disappear into thin air.

"One of my specialties is in Fire Magic, so I could control my body temperature rather easily." Harold didn't wish to pursue that topic as he didn't want to make Rin uncomfortable. "So, where do you come from, Rin?"

Rin raised an eyebrow. Does he know about my body temperature? He stared at the fireball, equally puzzled, not without fear for what would happen if he'd get too close. Harold's question brought him back to reality though. "I'm from a mountainous area in Alaska. You?"

"London, England." He bowed slightly. "Well, I wish one day I could visit Alaska. I heard there's a lot of beautiful places there."

"Depends on what you mean by beautiful… It's stunning, but also cold, hostile, barren, all things that London is not, if I'm not mistaken!"

While the two were talking, they hadn't noticed the door slowly slide open. Laguna crouched low to avoid being spotted, seeing her target at his desk. "This is gonna be so funny! I think…" She pushed her doubts out of her mind as she gripped a water bottle. She quickly twisted the cap off, tossing it over her shoulder like she'd just pulled the pin on a grenade.

She lobbed the bottle into the room underhand, and when it was in between Harold and Rin, she focused on her magic. The water in the bottle erupted like a geyser, spraying up and over the two boys. She ducked back out, stifling a laugh. "Yes! Pranked!"

Hael, who had been close by Laguna through the process, did not make nearly as much effort to be quiet with his laughter. He hadn't really planned on it being a stealthy endeavour.

"You might be almost tolerable after all," he said to Laguna, theatrically wiping imaginary tears of laughter from his eyes. Laguna pumped a fist victoriously. "Yes!"

Harold wiped the water from his glasses, the ball of water came so abruptly that even a mage like him couldn't anticipate it. His good mood that he was trying to keep for the entire day was ruined by the wretched water ball, and there's only one student he knew that could control water. As he dried his outfit with the heat his body generated using magic, he called out to the perpetrator. "Hey, water girl, show yourself!"

"I think he means you," Hael said, looking at Laguna with a wicked grin.

"Probably. Since I'm the only girl here." She stood back up, poking her head into the room. "Um… hi!" She stepped inside, offering a smile and wave while scuffing her foot on the floor.

"Magic boy is already dry, maybe you should try again," Hael suggested, flitting into the room and landing on Laguna's shoulder.

J-just… why. There was a blurred boundary between being a good prankster and an annoying prick… so blurred that not even Rin could quite see it. Maybe the girl didn't think this was annoying at all, maybe she really wanted some kind of revenge.
    Rin couldn't help but think about his Alaskan friends - mermaid friends, to be exact. The girl's attitude wasn't too different from theirs - if not for the fact that they considered Rin a careless moron with no self regard? But it was an understandable feeling, especially after a couple of days at the Academy.

All of these thoughts crossed Rin's mind in the worst possible moment: after all, he was still dripping wet, in the middle of the classroom, beside this smug looking boy who somehow dried himself up in seconds, looking at Laguna and the fairy with a puzzled expression. Once again, small ice crystals were growing from where the water hit Rin, but this time he had no time to take care of it.

Now where was he left? Ah yes. Why the hell was that Fairy there? What did he want? Was he telling the girl to be even less considerate with her pranks? Savage! Like someone I know! And someone else I've met here! What a bunch of weird Yokai we are...

Speaking of the fairy, the only word he picked from his babbling was "again". In short, he had to get ready for some more water - also because things between him and the mermaid were never going to be the same after that day. You don't forget that easily a glare out of nowhere, nor a water fight in school. Especially if you do it twice.

Rin decided to test his 'amazing magical powers' and braced for another impact, glaring at the fairy. "Why not, right?"

Laguna looked to the metaphorical demon on her literal shoulder. "Again? Isn't that a little predictable? Especially since they're both looking, er… glaring at me?"

Harold turned his attention, "Do you know that girl, Mate? I think she have a grudge to either one of us and I never saw her before. So, did you do something to her?"

"Kind of? I wanted to be friends but there's another prick in the way." Rin whispered, of course alluding to the fairy sitting on the mermaid's shoulder. He didn't really like him and felt as if he shouldn't have been there… but maybe there was a way to force him to leave.

"You're right, that is a bit predictable." Hael ignored the conspiratorial whispers of the snowman and his roommate. Instead of being concerned, he opted to push his luck further. He clicked his fingers and a moment later, a small hole ripped open in the ground below Harold, just wide and deep enough to leave his head poking out and his body uncomfortable but uninjured. "I think they'll be glaring at me now."

"Hmm?" Rin was visibly confused by what the fairy did. "Are you two already friends or something?" he asked, after quickly jumping away from the newly created hole in the ground. He fixed his eyes on the culprit again, but tried to stay alert about the mermaid too. After all, he had some very valid reasons not to help Harold out. Touching him would get him almost burned, now wouldn't it?

Harold sighed at what just happened, but at least he now understood why the mermaid shot the water ball towards both him and Rin. He preferred to leave without doing anything, but the fact that Hael created a pitfall after that water ball fiasco didn't sit well with Harold.

"Okay then, hey… Uh… What's your name? Could you come here for a bit?" Harold called out Laguna to come forward.

"They were just talking to each other, weird to already forget his name, don't you think?" Hael said to Laguna from her shoulder.

Laguna shrugged, forgetting that Hael was on her shoulder. "Maybe he's just the forgetful type." Tensions may have been running high, but Laguna was oblivious to them. She walked over to the hole, trying not to laugh at Harold. "Hey, buddy. That's no way to get ahead in class!" She did laugh at her own joke, though.

"I think he's already good enough in class." commented Rin, now with an almost expressionless face. The joke didn't quite make him laugh, but it was at least a decent attempt. "And I can't help him to get back up so… I think Harold was talking to you, miss."

A sad, pouty frown came across Laguna's face. This wasn't at all how she thought this would go. It didn't last long, though, as she realized that this was her chance. "Oh! We haven't actually met yet! Duh! I'm silly!" She smacked herself on the forehead, then extended a hand to Rin. "Hi, I'm Laguna!"

"Hi Silly Laguna!" Rin replied with a smile, finally having the attention of the one Yokai he wanted to approach. He still avoided any body contact, though.

"Well then… Since some introduction is in order, I believe it's enough fun and games for now." Harold threw a knife from his pocket using his wind magic, it landed very close to the ground in front of both Hael and Laguna.

"Oi, watch it!" Hael grunted, seriously considering making the hole several feet deeper.

Being left hanging didn't feel good, but a knife flying at her wasn't fun either. "Hey!" Laguna jumped in surprise, crouching down next to Harold. "Don't suppose you want a handshake either? How about just a hand then?"

Noticing the disappointing look in Laguna's eyes, Rin tried to apologize. "Sorry, I'm a snowman. I'm cold to the touch…"

What Harold did just wasn't helping, though. Why throw a knife at the fairy when he was in his tiny form, perched on someone else's shoulder? Not cool.

"Huh?" Laguna glanced up at Rin. "How cold? Can I see? And what's snow?" She reached for his hand again, this time not waiting for him to reciprocate, just trying to grab it.

"Be quick. This can hurt me." Rin at this point let Laguna touch him. She grabbed his hand, seemed fascinated at the temperature, but let go when he said it could hurt. "It's a big difference…" the snowman remarked: even himself was surprised by the effect of that contact. After all, for Laguna it must have felt like touching the inside of a freezer. And Rin? To him, Laguna was nothing short of boiling water on his arm.

"Fascinating," Hael remarked dryly, rolling his eyes.

"Um… Sorry to disrupt the conversation between you two… But… Ah well… I didn't aim my knife at Hael at all you know. Let me show you why I did that." Runes from the knife Harold threw with his magic started to glow purple.

"Switcheroo." With one snap of his finger, Harold swapped places with the knife. He was now standing in front of both Hael and Laguna. "So, yeah for my introduction. I'm Harold, a mage and part-time alchemist. Nice to meet you, Laguna." He offered his hand for a handshake.

"Overpowered." Rin couldn't help it, that word just flew out of his mouth. That admittedly cool trick reminded Rin of his own… relative lack of magic skills.

"Overrated." Hael corrected.

Laguna was also impressed, but also startled. She jumped back when Harold suddenly appeared in front of her, knocking over a desk that she accidentally backed into and forcing Hael to grip her hair to avoid falling off. "Wow! Real magic! Wait, where's the knife?" She looked around for it, convinced it was a trick of some kind.

Harold's slightly angered expression turned into a slight chuckle at Laguna's innocence. "It's on the bottom of the hole, I basically swapped place with the knife." Harold retrieved his knife using his wind magic.

"Well, I guess I still have to explain something. Laguna, using your water ball is not a way to greet someone properly, it's rude as hell. So, maybe you could stop shooting those at people, especially the ones you don't know?" Harold raised a slight smile instead of his anger at his new friend. After all, this young lady doesn't even have any idea about what she just did.

Laguna looked at the ground, and scuffed her foot once. She looked over at the wall, at Rin, or Hael, basically anywhere but at Harold. "Mmmf…" She puffed her cheeks, thinking. Finally, she rapped her knuckles against the side of her head, keeping the hand there. "...fine. I won't throw water at people I don't know. But it was funny…"

Rin had almost forgotten about it, but one could easily see small icicles and crystals on his hair and uniform. With one hand, he tried to sweep some of them away, annoyed. "As funny as it could be for you, throwing water at me has side effects..."

Now Laguna couldn't look at either of them, instead looking at the assignment on the board. "...such an airhead." She muttered under her breath.

"Personally," Hael commented, "I think it was a fantastic idea. Also, as an aside, technically you know them now so I suppose you're free to drown them at will."

Laguna brightened up a little, even managing a small smile. "I guess you have a point there." She shrugged a little, squishing Hael up against her face in a sort of hug. "You can be my joke buddy anytime!" She flashed her toothy smile to the other two hopefully. "So… we're cool? It was just a joke and we're friends now?"

"Um…" Harold mused. "As long as you don't actually drown me, it's fine to joke using water once in a while. Yup, I'll be glad to be your friend."

"Well, this is getting extremely uncomfortable so I'm going to break some of Harold's stuff in our room. Adios." Hael took that chance to fly up from Laguna's shoulder and make his way very rapidly out of the door.

"Ugh… This is my life now…" Harold sighed as he heard his roommate's declaration.

"So that's how it is, uh? Good luck Harold." Now glad that it all appeared to be over, Rin couldn't help but chuckle. "And Laguna? Yes, we're friends now!" he declared. "Just be careful with your water skills, I guess."

Laguna mock saluted happily. "Yes, sir! I'll probably never be as good as my sisters, but I promise to work on it! I just need plenty of practice!"

A joint post between Godzil, gimmiepie, WizardOfOdd, and Cyaloom

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
    Years

• Wf8pM6j.jpg

Blues

[h2][/h2]​

None of Youkai Academy's botanical accouterments were lacking, of that there could be no doubt. Plenty of beautiful flowerbeds, rows of nice garden, and even a large greenhouse for plants that need a more temperate environment or extra shelter. Kyosei had spent the past short while since finishing his first History lesson examining the school's plants. It was tough to guess which were planted by students and which by staff but most exciting of all was simply the array of smells. It became hard to resist the urge to eschew his human disguise and sniff every plant - except the pungent ones like Deploridaisies - up close and memorize where everything was without needing to look. He knelt next to a flower that had broken at the middle of the stem and lifted it to his nose, closing his eyes blissfully at the sweet aroma. He gently pat the flower and held it so that the broken points were touching with one hand, then gently pinched the spot and fused it back into one whole with a touch of heat. "That's better, isn't it little one? It isn't your time quite yet."

Before Kyosei could turn around or even get up, a young looking woman entered the garden as well. In fact, it was the same woman that stood in the back of the class this morning, the woman named Divine. "Oh! Apologies. I didn't know someone was here already." She apologized immediately, using her hands to wave as she smiled. "I'm looking for someone, have you seen her perhaps? She has shoulder-length black hair and always looks like she wants to punch someone." The woman with lengthy blue hair tried to imitate the one she was looking for by playfully punching the air.

The youko's ears popped into existence and immediately stood stiff from surprise. He didn't expect anybody to be there so early in the afternoon and he'd been so focused on...well. "Oh, sensei! Hello." His left ear flicked twice, first at her question and then at the impersonation. "I don't know anybody like that and I haven't really seen anybody since leaving class. Not that I know anybody but Laguna yet… Does the person you're looking for come here a lot?"

Divine hid her hands behind her back once her question was answered. "Yes, she does." Divine walked past Kyosei and looked at the beautiful roses that were stationed a little bit away from them. Normal roses would be red but these were blue instead and danced beautifully with the soft autumn breeze that came by to greet them. They looked healthy, and strong. "She's also a teacher. I believe she teaches your class, class 1-A, the ways of the humans language. We hang out here often but it seems she's running late today."

"I see, if that's the case I imagine we'll be running into each other here a lot. This is probably where I'll be spending most of my free time outside of class." When the breeze blew past the roses Divine admired it was his nose's turn to twitch. "Those match your hair nicely, they must feel a certain kinship, they look happy to me right now." He tilted his head and his ears leaned to the side in sync with his neck. "Do you like plants, Sensei?"

Divine glanced at fox boy with a somewhat surprised expression written all over her face. They looked happy to him? "Yes, but I like these blue roses especially. My father planted them here the first week we arrived at this academy." Divine took a few steps closer to the roses and bend down to them to watch them closer. "They indeed look healthy. That makes me happy." She said as she got up again and faced Kyosei with a cheerful smile. "The only other place these blue roses grow are in my hometown, at the grave of my dear mother."

Kyosei's ears flattened back against his head at the word 'grave'. "I'm sorry she's no longer with you..." After a moment one of the ears stood back up and flicked curiously, so many questions raced through his mind at once that he almost tripped over himself just trying to speak. "What was your mother like?"

Divine's eyes closed for a moment and she sighed. Not in relief nor in pain. She was sighing because she felt nostalgic. "She was kind and courageous." Were the first words that Divine came up with as she thought back about her mother. She opened her eyes again but faced the sky instead of the young fox boy. "Father says I look a lot like mother but mother had blonde hair instead of my blue. Still, my face seems to greatly resemble hers. I might have inherited her stubbornness too. That's what father says at least."

"She must have been beautiful." Kyosei muttered without thinking. "It seems almost poetic that those flowers match your hair… as if she had something to do with it. How did you…" His ears flattened again. "Lose her?"

Divine felt as if something heavy came down her throat the very instant that question was asked. She glanced back at Kyosei with the smile who was once cheerful but had turned into a slightly sad one. She tilted her head a bit as she pointed with her fingers to a spot where ears could very well have been, hinting at Kyosei's ears that were out.

"Something with her ears?" The student queried. When his teacher pointed again he lifted his own hands to his own head and poked his ears, immediately wincing at the sensitive contact. "Oh! Oh no, I'm so sorry, Sensei! I know we're supposed to stay in our human forms during school hours - I didn't mean to - oh no, please forget you saw that!" He pressed down on his ears and then they were gone, as if a magic trick - a trick punctuated by Kyosei waving his hands and wiggling his fingers. "See? No fuzzy ears here."

Divine giggled a bit with a hand held in front of her mouth. "It's fine. You're done with class for today so it's counted as after school hours." She said, successfully avoiding the question he had asked her earlier. "I should get going. My friend is still not here so I'm guessing she didn't have time today." Divine walked past Kyosei with gentle steps on the garden floor. "I'll see you tomorrow during class."

At that moment Kyosei remembered something important. "Oh, wait please, Sensei! I have an important question, before you go. You can control water, right? You must have a lot more experience than any of us students… and you like plants so… Do you know how to imbue water with life energy? Laguna is my roommate and she's shown an interest in a flower I found. I thought she might like to help take care of it. A mermaid who could nurture plants with the water of life could do amazing things. I'm sure she'd be ecstatic if you helped her learn…"

Divine was a bit taken aback by the question. "Infusing… water with life energy?" She repeated after him. It's true that Divine had similar powers as that of a mermaid but infusing water with life energy wasn't something she had ever heard of. "I apologise. That seems to be a topic I have yet to hear of." Divine spoke kindly. "Laguna is a mermaid, correct? She should be able to infuse her water magic with-" Divine stopped herself there. She was about to say something she probably shouldn't. Not yet at least. "Actually, come to my class tomorrow. You will learn something interesting." She said instead of the sentence she had so horribly dropped just now. She turned around once again.

"Sensei, sorry, one last thing!" Now Kyosei was downright embarrassed to be wasting a teacher's time and asking so many questions when she clearly had somewhere to be but he hadn't totally missed her topic change earlier and it reminded him of something. "Did you know there's a huge Moonwisp in the forest? I found it too late to see it bloom but...I managed to get a seed from it. Since you appreciate plants I was wondering if you might like to be there when the Moonwisp I grow is ready to bloom? I named her Serena, she really brightens up the dorm."

Divine kept silent for a little bit. Moonwisps were very rare. How did he find one in the forest? The silence was broken by Divine's words "I would love to." before she walked off, away from the garden.

"I'll make sure to let you know when she's ready!" That brightened Kyosei right up… Until he stared down at his hand and furrowed his brow. Haven't heard of?... Is it not normal?

Last edited:

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years

• Diaries of a Vampire || Olivia x Lena & Rei

Before us great Death stands Our fate held close within his quiet hands.
    When with proud joy we lift Life's red wine to drink deep of the mystic shining cup And ecstasy through all our being leaps
    Death bows his head and weeps.

We Vampires.
    Denizens of the Dark.

----​

"You go on ahead, we'll catch up in a bit." Lena's answer when Olivia asked her and Rei if they'd like to have lunch together. Those two left first, leaving Olivia to return to her dorm alone. She got changed out of her uniform, then headed for the cafeteria. Olivia had changed into a different indigo and purple dress, one that she would normally wear for social gatherings, so the only thing she was concerned with is if she stood out a bit too much among the common youkai. Frankly speaking, she did, but nobody really paid her any mind.

After a few uneventful minutes of waiting at the cafeteria entrance, Lena and Rei came up, also dressed in casual clothes. She must have just missed Lena coming back, but her roommate appeared refreshed; Rei's hair looked freshly brushed, but for a neko she was surprisingly a little unsteady on her feet.

"Sorry. Did we make you wait long?" She picked up a different scent from the two when they approached. She felt it rather peculiar for a moment, unable to figure out exactly what it was, but the cafeteria door opened close by, overpowering it with the smell of food and pushing it from her thoughts.

"Not at all," Olivia answered with an open smile. "Did you enjoy class?"

"Hard to sleep," Rei muttered.

Neither Olivia nor Lena were all too sure that sleep quality was a proper criteria for class enjoyment, but they weren't going to argue.

"It felt like kind of a mess."

"Truly, our fellow classmates do seem… intriguing? I think is the right word?" They were colorful, if nothing else. "I quite enjoy history, however, so I found the class itself fascinating."

The trio decided to head inside and grab lunch before continuing their conversation. "The teachers are interesting, too."

"Pretty."

"Hm? Oh, the one in back?"

"Mm."

Seeing how Lena and Rei were speaking about the teachers, Olivia started thinking about them as well. "Sir Ryuu… sounds far older than he looks. Still, he clearly cares about his work, and he seems intelligent. I'm sure it will be enjoyable learning from him. And Miss Divine… she's certainly beautiful."

The gossip continued in similar fashion until they finished their lunch.

After eating, Olivia wiped her mouth with an expensive-looking handkerchief she had in her pocket, and rest it on the table. "Well, what are you two planning to do for the rest of the day?" she asked.

"Fashion club."

Lena added, "Club recruiting hasn't exactly started yet, but we heard upperclassmen were already getting back to theirs, so we thought we'd take a look around."

"A fashion club? I must admit, I hadn't figured you the type. Lena, were you interested in one as well?"

"I didn't have any in mind, but I don't have much else to do today. It seemed like fun."

"It certainly does. May I join you?"

And that's how Rei got two escorts as she looked for the fashion club room. It was hard to find at first, until they spotted a room where a girl was pulling rolls of fabric out of a bag. Lena played interpreter for a bit until Rei got comfortable, then left the room with Olivia to look around the other rooms.

Many were empty, of course. But the signs near the doors were usually enough to figure out what each room was for. Music club, literature club, board games club, newspaper club—the last one was already bustling.

At some point walking through the hall led them outside, to where most of Youkai Academy's sports clubs practiced. Although, the fields were mostly empty aside from a few students. Of what was being used, a tennis court caught Olivia's eye. There was a casual game going on between two male students in human form, and the sound of the ball smacking back and forth was sort of relaxing.

"Ah! I haven't played tennis in so long!" Olivia beamed. "Could this be another club?"

"You play tennis?"

"Yes. I confess, however, that I have not held a racket in years. It might be fun to pick it up again."

Then suddenly, a strange burning noise came from the court. One of the students spiked the ball and set it on fire in a flash of magic! It left a black mark on the field where it landed, and rocketed toward the opponent! The boy on the other side closely dodged, and returned with a powerful backhanded swing, driving it back over the net!

Each hit was getting more and more difficult to keep up with, and a mere few swings later the flaming ball stopped touching the ground entirely. How the ball didn't disintegrate, or destroy the players' rackets, was beyond understanding.

"On second thought, there must have been a good reason I had stopped playing. Shall we see what the rest of the clubs are like?" Olivia smiled as she spoke, but the smile didn't reach her eyes. Lena nodded in response, and they followed the school grounds to the unexplored half of the main building.

Fortunately, the cooking club seemed normal at a glance, the room laid out not unlike a home ec class. Olivia was overjoyed to find out this club existed, and mentioned checking it out again some other time. Don't mind the mage using fire magic instead of a stove, that's definitely normal.

Another club room they passed was for a tabletop gaming club. The club members were dedicated, equipped with clothing and props appropriate to their role. Or, maybe the staff the wizard-looking student was holding was a real magical tool. Nothing would have surprised at this point. Regardless, they were already pretty well into an adventure, from what the girls could tell, so they decided to leave them to it and check out the next one.

"This year, we'll perfect it for sure."

A few classrooms over, three girls were chatting in darkness, the sign by the door denoting it as the magic research club. Lena and Olivia stopped before they opened the door, an ominous air keeping their hands away from the knob.

"I-I dunno. I mean... last time, half the guys in school turned gay for a week. And that's just the one that didn't explode in our faces."

"It's fine, it's fine, they didn't know it was us."

"I got some good material out of it, too... heheheh..."

"Anyway, all we need is the essence of a succubus, and we'll definitely get it right this time."

Lena quietly gestured to Olivia and mouthed, "Let's go." Olivia nodded, and the two left the supposed "magic research club" behind.

Later that year, those three students were seen doted on by a few exceedingly attractive upperclassmen, but that's a story for another time.

Sapphire Rose

Years
  • DAY 3: Tuesday, 3th of September

A hectic day passed for the students of Youkai Academy. Classes had started, bonds were formed and the first bits of homework were given out. College had officially started and it was only natural that some students were seeking fun elsewhere. The first rumors were circling around the Academy. Two students had left the campus grounds and only returned late at night, not only that... They brought someone along. Someone who was no student.

Whether this rumor is true or not is up to the students to decide. No one has seen the young boy that was supposedly brought along except for a select few.

On other news, students have noticed some servants running around the academy, some claim they're the same servants that delivered a certain Vampire lady to the academy. They seem to be planning something. What could it be?

"Good morning, Selena!" echoed a voice loudly across the sport fields. On the receiving end was a lady with a dark brown bob haircut. The only thing this fair lady, somewhere in her early thirties, did in response was wave as she sucked on a round sugary delicacy. The one shouting this early in the morning was none other than the young looking Divine, who has made quite some interesting impressions on the first day of the academy among the students. Divine waved at her friend who she had missed the other day. Selena came closer to the blue haired girl with every nonchalant step making it ever more clear that she was someone with a bit of an attitude. "Is your class starting soon?" She asked Divine directly.

" Yep! Although I'm a bit early. I have a feeling some students will be earlier than others and I want to set a good example." Divine replied lively as ever. Selena was silent but nodded in accordance. With her hands in her sweater's pockets she walked off again, taking her left hand out briefly to wave goodbye to her friend. It was her way of wishing the blue haired girl good luck, and Divine knew that. "You're so odd." She whispered with a smile and turned around. She needed to make some last preparations.

Geras

Roleplayer
    Years

• Viviana Ingram A Plan In Motion

After a second sleepless night spent in a utility closet, Vivi decided she'd had enough. She would take back the room that was rightfully hers and finally start enjoying her time in this hell of a school. Something far easier said than done, as all her bravado faded the moment her room was in sight. She walked up to the door and put an ear to it, hearing the sounds of her brute of a roommate probably getting ready for class.

Just like yesterday, she walked back and forth in the crowded hallway, stalking her door until she saw her roommate leave. With the coast clear, she rushed back to the utility closet to fetch her luggage and brought it into her room.

She'd spent all night thinking about what she was going to do now that she was here. First, she opened her luggage and pulled out a bed skirt she'd sewn overnight. Made with sheets stolen from the laundry room, it would keep her luggage hidden when she crammed it all under her bed.

But if she wanted to feel comfortable in her own room, she'd have to know the sort of person her roommate was. And for that, there would have to be sacrifice. With an unsteady hand she opened her case full of stuffed animals. She would use one unfortunate soul to test her roommate, putting it in plain view and seeing whether it survived the night or if her roommate did something terrible to it.

Vivi would rather not have to deal with this at all, but if it had to be this way she would choose one someone she hadn't spent as much time with. And so it was with a heavy heart that she placed Pinpin the unicorn next to her pillow, giving him a big hug before leaving him to his fate.

She hid the rest of her things under the bed, hoping her roommate wouldn't just go snooping regardless of the bed skirt. With this in mind, she put the three things she couldn't live without and kept them in her backpack; her laptop, her favorite green nail polish, and Mikey the panda. It was a tight fit, but that way she knew they'd be safe.

She took a deep breath, calming her anxiety of the day to come. An anxiety that flared right back up when she saw the time. She burst into the bathroom, praying she could get ready in time for class while cursing both her roommate and the school for existing at all.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Karma Arameia
    ???

"Welcome back."

An unfamiliar voice welcomed Karma as she emerged from an increasingly familiar black void. She looked around again and just like the previous night, it was her dorm with a boy sitting on the couch, flipping through a book. "I, uh..."
    Karma started to talk, keeping a healthy distance from the couch. "I wasn't aware you could talk."

"Crazy, right? Harnessing at least one of the five senses, truly remarkable!" Karma winced at his snide sarcasm as he chuckled to himself and flipped the page. In fact, the rate at which he was flipping the pages of the book made Karma wonder if he was even reading it at all or if he was reading a comic.

"Alright Mr.Scholastic, can you at least tell me where I am?" She asked, failing to hide her irritation.

"A dorm," he responded bluntly. She winced again.

"...And you are?"

"This is a dream, Karma. Yesterday you didn't leave because you woke up, you left because you couldn't get any closer to me." She raised an eyebrow. " If you approach this couch, you'll wake up. If you ask me to turn around, you'll wake up. If you open that door over there," He pointed to the dorm room next to hers, which she could here faint music resonating from, "You'll wake up."

"And why's that," she asked, arms crossed.

"Because you're not ready. In fact, I was surprised that you even came here tonight. Well, until I heard-" Suddenly it registered that there was knocking at the door behind Karma. Very soft knocking, almost as if it wasn't actually meant to be heard or perhaps they were too anxious to knock louder. "-that."

Karma stepped away from the door in a panic. "What the hell is that?"

"Knocking." The boy turned his head ever so slightly. "You're really bad at asking questions." He once again flipped a page of his book. "But to be honest, for once I actually have no idea who or what's doing it. Considering this is your mind though I would say it's best to keep your privacy private and, by extension, that door locked." Karma looked back at the boy and then to the door again before feeling like she'd been shot with a tranquilizer. Her head felt light yet her limbs felt like they were being weighed down by contrast. "Class started a while ago, by the way. Have a good day at school, hon..." The boy's voice trailed off as did Karma's consciousness and the next she knew, she was back in her bedroom.

Sapphire Rose

Years
  • DAY 3: Class with Divine Part 1

"Well, this is awkward…" Harold muttered slowly while rubbing the back of his head in embarrassment. He had no one but himself to blame that when he came nobody else was there except Divine. "Should I come there, now? But maybe coming later instead is a better option…" He was hesitant to come closer and reveal himself to his teacher. Chatting with another student is one thing, but speaking with her would be pretty awkward, especially since he was unsure what to call her even if she already told him and his friends to call her Divine.

Coming up on a student standing at the edge of the field and gawking in their teacher's general direction, Kyosei considered the oddity for a moment as he passed. Ultimately he felt no need to speak and simply made his way onto the field proper, dipping his head to Divine when he stopped at what he felt was the proper distance away and was sure she'd seen him.

Another student made its way to the Sports fields shortly after, mostly out of boredom.
    Rin had woken up very early once again, so early that by the time he was ready to get to class, his crazy roommate was still asleep. And given how she'd kept ignoring him yesterday, or how Rin was fed up with staring blankly at her while she was asleep, there weren't many options left for the Snowman.

Not even Harold, whom he saw standing mindlessly near the edge of the fields, brightened up his moody, serious expression. But Divine and the other student who approached her managed to… if anything for the simple fact that Rin wanted to look at least decent in the eyes of his teachers.

The Snowman therefore took some steps in the proper field, getting closer to Divine and - now he could see - the Youko who was standing in the first row the previous day, before finally greeting them by bowing his head.

"Greetings." Kyosei said. "I'm glad somebody else showed up so quickly. I was beginning to worry about looking like some sort of teacher's pet but if I wasn't very far ahead of anyone else it puts my mind at ease. I'm Kyosei."

"Hello, I'm Rin!" the Snowman said, smiling slightly. "I'm already here mostly because I always wake up too early… my roommate is still sleeping, I reckon."

The Youko nodded with a similar smile. "I tend to be an early riser too. Probably because I often take naps during the day."

"Well well! Aren't you three early!" Divine spoke rather please and clasped her hands together, showing off a lively smile in the process. "I do hope your classmates arrive soon." Without further ado, Divine finished the last of preparations for her class. It looked like she had been getting a few activities ready. There were striking dummies at the ready but they didn't seem like regular striking dummies. There were also some ropes on the floor. "I hope my father didn't give you all too much homework to deal with."

"Hello!" came a voice that hurriedly came towards the group. It was Olivia, the fanged noble vampire Youkai of the class. She had finally approached the class. "Good day! Hopefully my roommate will arrive soon… but it is nice to see you all!"

Not far behind her came everyone's favorite mermaid, Laguna! Carrying a juice box, of all things. "Hey you guys!" She called out, running over to the group. "The cafeteria had these little boxes of water that taste like food! Isn't that crazy? What's going on here?"

"Wait, sports means we're fighting?" the latest arrival, Kenta, said in disbelief while looking at the training dummies. His eyes shifted from the somewhat sturdy looking training dummy to the much more fragile looking snowman, before finally returning to the one who presumably organized the whole thing.

"I mean, I'm perfectly happy with this outcome." He shrugged, motioning slightly towards Olivia and Rin. "Just seems a little unfair to… you know… and I spent too much time last night learning two-armed sports in preparation."

"I can see what you're going at bu-" Divine tried to say but was interrupted by her mermaid student.

"Ooh, that sounds fun!" Laguna tossed aside her empty juice box. "Are we fighting each other? Are we hitting those dolls over there? Can I hit the big guy with a doll?!" She was bouncing in place in excitement at the prospect.

"You will not be fighting each ot-" Divine tried once more but was once again interrupted.

Kyosei winced at the direction things were going. "This should be… enlightening. I've never actually fought anything before, only hunted."

Divine took a deep breath and tried again. "You will not be fighting each other, you'll be practising on the striking dummies." Divine glanced at Laguna before shifting her face towards the Kenta, who was much taller than she was. "I prepared a few different exercises so no one gets hurt while training. I also prepared some ropes so everyone can test their strength against each other by joining a tug of war! Doesn't that sound like fun?" the young looking teacher clasped her hands together.

"Ooh, tug of war! I love tug of war!" Laguna was still excited, but stopped to think for a moment. "What's tug of war?"

Next to arrive were Lena and Rei. The latter looked notably less tired than the day prior.

Rin greeted the other Yokai as they arrived and fit into the group, while also examining the dummies that Divine likely had prepared. "I've hunted too! Maybe this won't be that different." he then replied to Kyosei.

As the other students talked amongst themselves, Hael slowly flitted over, waiting until the absolute last minute to reluctantly shift into his human form. Loathing the idea of attempting anything athletic in such an uncomfortably gangly body, he had been torn between wanting to avoid the class like the plague and wanting to just get it over and done with. Somehow, that seemed to have balanced out into arriving… actually on time.

"There are people going to be here after me and that feels extremely wrong," he said to himself with a sigh, starting to casually sidle backwards away from the group in hopes of escaping - at least for a while later.

Divine couldn't help herself and chuckled at that.

Vivi arrived not far behind Hael, hoping he would draw people's attention more than her. She was silent, but the disgusted look she gave the striking dummies spoke volumes.

"Now that everyone is here." Divine looked around the field at the students who had arrived. Only one was missing and she knew exactly who. It was the girl she accidentally doused the other day. She had heard an ear full about the accident from her father and how she should act more mature. "L-Let's begin!" the young teacher quickly disregarded the thought of the Yasha girl who had not shown up.

"As some of you might have noticed from the striking dummies I deliberately placed here on the sports fields. The sports classes you'll receive from me are a little, tiny bit different from what you might be used to." Divine held her hand up and moved her index finger and thumb closer towards each other to make the "Little tiny bit" sign with her hand. "My classes will be mostly to help you all control your own abilities. It's quite common for students to not know their limits when it comes to using their own abilities and skills since we live in rather peaceful times." Divine smiled all the way while saying her piece before officially beginning her class.

"My father told you all about the mana organ yesterday, didn't he? Is there anyone here that can elaborate on that?" The blue haired woman asked around the students, glancing shortly at each and every student.

"As I recall... each Youkai has an organ to store their magical energy into, correct?" Olivia spoke. She then glanced at the flower shaped jewelry she always kept on her personage. "...Except for vampires, who don't specialize in magic at all."

"That's right, Olivia!" Divine spoke and smiled. "However, I'm searching for a little bit more detailed answer that that. Does anyone know where we can find this organ?"

"Maybe we'll dissect one of us and find out," Hael said, supposedly under his breath, but in actuality plainly clear. "I'll volunteer if it means I don't have to listen to more of the lecture."

Hael's voice was already familiar to Rin, and caught his attention. He had paid no mind to the fairy until that moment, however that remark was enough to make the Snowman chuckle slightly. "Can I volunteer as the knife then?" Rin whispered, thinking about what they went through the day before, with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

"Go for it, I offer my life to you," Hael shot back dryly, spreading his arms wide in mock surrender.

"No dissecting." Divine interrupted their conversation strictly.

"Damnit," Hael grumbled.

"G-got it!" hastily replied Rin, now back to his more serious self. "Anyways… I'm afraid I don't know where that organ is…"

Karma nonchalantly made her way onto the sports field and looked around before sighing and reminding herself that it was yet another day in Hell. She felt admittedly rather uncomfortable compared to the classroom where she could hide behind her desk and phone. Here there was no cover, no Duel Links, and from her perspective, rampant stupidity. "Can we get a rain check on that, Div? I could really use a dissection at the moment," She said with a shaky smirk.

It seemed as though Divine was sighing in relief. Sighing that despite the hostility Karma showed yesterday, she still decided to come. "You're late, Karma. Please don't make it a habit." Divine said, strictly as a teacher should. "I'm glad you're here though but no. I will not allow dissections." She stated again. "... not yet at least."

Divine looked around the class at the faces of her students, searching for some surprised ones. "It's a joke! Now please, would anyone else like to give answering my question a try?"

"Come on, don't get our hopes up," Hael interjected.

"Honestly," Karma chuckled. "Way to threaten us with a good time."

Kyosei was beginning to grow impatient as the other students continued to interrupt the satiation of his curiosity. "So, where is the organ, Sensei? I would have expected it to differ from species to species since Youkai are all so different."

"Astral body," a quiet voice briefly responded off to the side—the answer came from Rei, fed up as well. "It's not physical."

Divine's eyes widened upon hearing a small peep from the crowd, but it was just the right peep she was looking for. She was speechless for a small moment but after mere seconds, her face started to gleam. "Very good, Rei! The mana organ is indeed located in the astral body." Divine repeated what the small girl had said.

"The astral body is not physical. It's your body located in the astral plane, a different dimension of sorts. The astral plane preserves your Youkai body when you are in human form but also preserves your human body when you are in Youkai form. You can view it as a sort… closet!" Divine seemed excited talking about this topic. "Your mana organ is also located in your astral body. It preserves the mana you are holding. Otherwise humans would've found out we weren't quite like them a long time ago! Haha!"

"Astral… body?" Laguna was just confused now, but shrugged it off. "Here I thought it was in my legs, not my butt."

"What?" Hael said flatly.

"Excuse me?" whispered Rin shortly after, visibly puzzled.

"Astral body?" Laguna explained, like it was obvious. "So it's in the ass? Hello!"

"Wait a minute…" Karma said aloud to avoid Laguna making an even bigger ass out of herself, "You're trying to tell me that you guys, like...have other forms? Like out of an anime or a movie or something?"

"What's an… annie may?" It was Laguna's turn to be confused. Again.

"My aunt, sweet lady," Karma responded sharply. "Makes the best cookies you'll ever fall into a sugar related coma to." She turned back to Divine and swept her eyes over her classmates. "But...really, do all youkai have a human and youkai form?" She asked somewhat desperately.

".... yes." Divine had wished she could give the desperate Karma a different answer but all she could give was the truth. "Laguna's tail is safely stored in the astral plane. As is your human body. Mages are the only ones without a Youkai form as they are physically indistinct from humans." Divine told Karma, perfectly aware that Karma was still in her Yasha form and also aware that Karma probably didn't know that judging her reaction.

Laguna kicked off her shoes and helpfully transformed into her mermaid form, then back to human after a sharp look from Divine.

At this, Karma fell silent. She touched her forehead, gently touching where her third eye used to be and seemingly lost all means to function. She dejectedly fell to the ground, apparently processing too much at the time for her to handle.

"So we are dissecting people then?" Hael quipped at this.

This time Divine's words completely overshadowed Hael's muttering, so much so that Rin only focused on the former. "First of all… this mana organ is the closet with my bodies inside?" he timidly asked. "And what kinda body would this be?" the Snowman continued, alluding to his own.

How would Divine explain this? His transformations weren't perfect. His hands and hair weren't ice spikes anymore, that's for sure: but his body was still cold, and there were quite a lot of… imperfections. "Try to touch my hand, please, and... you'll see what I mean…" Rin added, knowing that it wasn't going to be quite the pleasant experience for either of them.

"Calling it a human body might be a bit misleading." Kyosei wondered aloud now that they were on a topic he understood to an extent. "It's just the closest thing we can manage to one, for blending in. No matter how you look at it, the two are inherently connected at the roots, much like many believe Youkai and Humanity themselves are. As a result, we all seem to have at least some human traits even in our true forms, and our human forms have at least some of our species' traits. I can still feel my ears and tail even when they aren't here… and my body temperature is higher than any healthy humans. I was always told I was very warm when I was a kit. It concerned the adults and delighted the children."

Divine was waving a finger around. "Don't get ahead of yourselves now." She spoke playfully. "You have just demonstrated exactly the reason why you need help controlling your abilities." Her gaze paused on Rin's exterior. "In Rin's case, I am aware of your inability to contain your natural cold body temperature. I can feel it even from standing over here. It's not that your transformation is imperfect, many snow women and men have trouble containing their natural coldness...ess." Divine stumbled over her own tongue on that one.

"Not everyone's transformation works the same. It's as Kyosei said, we call it the human body but it's just an exterior. One that is determined at birth, however. You've probably noticed that your more human body has traits that are similar to your Youkai body. Olivia for example still looks the same except that some features like her eyes and hair changes. Kenta is still as tall as he is in his Youkai body. We aren't all that different from humans, even when they tend to think so." Divine's gaze fell upon the young Karma who seemed to have a lot of trouble accepting the fact that she also has a human body.

"You are able to use illusions on your bodies. Both Kyosei and Rin need to learn how to cast illusions on their bodies that will make it seem like they have a normal human temperature. It's not easy though."

"U-understood! Thanks." replied Rin, bowing his head at the teacher. To tell the truth, though, he was still trying to process all the new information… and the fact that, by doing that, he'd just given away the fact that he wasn't able to keep himself warm. At least, the Snowman thought, his classmates (Kyosei especially) seemed to have similar concerns.

"It's also extremely uncomfortable, so can we get a move on?" Hael groaned.

"But I like being warm…" Kyosei said quietly, sounding as dejected as a child who'd just been scolded.

The young blue haired woman held a hand before her mouth and giggled. "Well then, let's start the class." She said once she got the giggles out. "I want to start with the striking dummies. I want everyone to show their abilities and skills by punching, kicking and throwing at the striking dummy as hard as you can! This way I know your control level and can help you improve it." Divine took out a small notepad in which all the names of the students had already been written.

Divine had barely pulled the notepad out when Laguna charged forward, leaping toward a dummy and tackling it to the ground. She wrapped her arms around it, biting into the neck area with her sharp teeth, then picked it up and threw it away from the others. She was grinning like crazy, and pumped both fists into the air. "Yeah! Like that, Divine?"

"Which one is the dummy again?" Hael questioned.

"What the fuck…" muttered Vivi.

Sapphire Rose

Years
  • DAY 3: Class with Divine Part 2

Laguna returned to the others, but kept looking at the dummy she'd thrown. "That was fun! Who's next?"

"...It may have been prudent to use your water, too." Kyosei muttered into Laguna's ear.

"Oh, right! Sorry…" Laguna pulled a water bottle from her uniform jacket's pocket, cracking it open and making a small geyser. "Ta-da!" She managed not to spill any water this time.

"...Good job." Kyosei's nose twitched.

The oni stepped forward next, stretching his arms. "I guess I better back up all that talk earlier."

He approached one of the upright dummies, rolling his shoulders. Suddenly he dropped into a boxing like pose and delivered a powerful hook to the dummy's side, launching it a good several feet back with a large dent in the side. "Hell yeah! Now that's an example. Is that good Teach, or do we want to see what four arms can do?"

Divine stood with the most stupid expression she had given in a while. Blinking a few times with a stupid smile across her face while her mind was obviously blank. She wasn't even attempting to write anything down. "G…. Good examples of how I need to secure the dummies better." Divine eventually spoke holding a thumbs up. "I'm going to adjust these a bit." referring to the dummies, she put the notepad away for a moment and hid her pen behind her ear. With two hands she pulled water out of the ground, had it circling around the dummies and brought them back to the students. Only this time she was going to fasten them to the ground.

Her eyes shone a brighter blue as she stabbed the dummies back into the ground. She surrounded the spot with water and with only one snap of her finger, the water turned into a solid form, ice.

Laguna put her bottle away, suddenly not feeling very impressive. "That was really cool, Divine…" she whispered in awe.

"Let's do that again." Divine spoke as she took out her notepad and wrote down her notes for Laguna and Kenta. "Could you do the four arms thing, Kenta?"

"Huh?" I...she. She, her, Tenma, stopped as she noticed a class of students or...Boxing Club? Martial Arts Club? Wait do we even have a club for that? Things to keep in mind- anyway, anyway, she noticed what was probably a class of students practicing with some training dummies on the field. Tenma checked her watch before getting really excited and practically sprinting her way over and immediately realizing that she and sprinting didn't mix. Again. For the fifth time that week. Apparently being smart and being forgetful weren't mutually exclusive.

Once she got close enough, she realized that it was the class that she'd almost visited yesterday, and among them was Divine. "What's this about forearms?"

"Just showing off the pride of an Oni here," Kenta said, turning towards the newcomer. Flexing, two arms appeared from his back. Curling the fingers of his new arms, he approached the dummy once more. "I'm not going to lie, I'm not going to be doing that much more raw damage, but I think you'll see how this comes in handy."

Grabbing the dummy with both of his new hands, he lifted it into the air and demonstrated a few quick jabs on his now helpless theoretical victim. Shifting his grip of the dummy to only one hand, he finished his demonstration by throwing a wild haymaker with both of his right arms, sending the dummy flying once again, thankfully intact this time.

While Divine was busy writing, she looked up. "Hey Tenma! Want to join in for some fun?" She asked, being honestly impressed by Kenta's raw power. He had no issue breaking the dummy from the ice she had so carefully prepared to keep the dummy in its spot.

Tenma reeled at the suggestion. "What, me? Do…that?" She looked down at her hands, her allegedly magic hands, knowing full well that whatever would come out would be underwhelming at best. When she did so, however, her eyes caught sight of something else. Someone. A girl with multicolored hair who stared back up at her with an air of disgust and perhaps a bit of curiosity? But for Tenma. For me. My mind just went blank.

"Yeah, why not! It's fun isn't it?" Divine tried to pursue her.

Tenma continued to stare in Karma's direction and while at first Karma found it odd, she soon found it incredibly irritating. "What, you're staring at me like I've got three eyes or something," Karma said sarcastically. Tenma didn't react, however, and Karma began to realize that she wasn't being looked at so much as she was being looked through. Karma gritted her teeth. "Can you answer the lady already?"

Tenma's pupils contracted and she came back to reality. "Oh sorry, I just um…" She tried to find something to latch onto to make what had just happened seem a little less weird. "That mask is just so creepy, had me thinking about the Jim Carrey movie again. You know the one."

"Haha." Karma let out an accommodating and incredibly authentic laugh.

"Anyway…" Tenma slipped her hand into her pocket and brought it back out again clothed with a glove. After seeing what Kenta was capable of she felt a little less than confident that she could stand up to him or any of the other students. She anxiously walked up to the dummy, taking a glance at Divine for a small confidence boost, and raised her palm in front of the dummy. "Agi!" She yelled. Or she wanted to anyway. It was a lot closer to a yelp or a squeaky whisper, but nonetheless flames spouted forth from her hand and doused the training dummy in fire. "T-Ta-da!" She posed overtly trying to hide any anxiety she was feeling, motivated only by the fact that those were the largest flames she'd managed to summon yet.

"Yes, yes. Wonderful performances all around." Hael clapped sarcastically, longing for the exercise to be over. "Please tell me this is nearly done."

Divine threw a pouty glare in Hael's direction but soon realized she was supposed to be the teacher and couldn't technically do that. Keep your cool as her father would say. "Well! That wasn't bad, was it?" Divine tried to stay positive, ignoring what the drunk fairy had said with a big smile across her face. "Anyone else who would like to try?" As the words escaped Divine's lips, she doused the dummy behind her with water to douse the flames created by Tenma. She was not bothering to bring back the dummy Kenta had punched away. Not yet.

"Ooh, I'll fix the ice!" Laguna focused on the ice that had melted from the fire, moving it back to a block shape. She snapped her fingers like Divine had done, but nothing happened. "Argh… or not…"

Divine let out a small giggle in return at the attempt of Laguna. It was rather cute that she tried.

"Please allow me then," Olivia then spoke up. She took a deep breath as she approached one of the dummies. Then, she consciously grabbed the rosemary that was hanging on her neck… and pulled it off. Her body then shined a bright purple light, as she began to change.

Bit by bit,
    Bite by bite.
    They surround the night.

Hunting.
    Their mortal...
    Prey.

Her hair colour started to change from a subtle shade of violet to white as snow. Her eyes changed as well, to bloodshot crimson. Her teeth were more sharp, almost like fangs ready to devour on prey. The light eventually faded, with Olivia standing firm, soaked in power of her vampire heritage. A denizen of the dark. It seemed like her passive, warm demeanor had acutely changed to a cold, calculating look as she stared down the dummy with an icy stare. She then prepared her fighting stance, proceeding to kick the dummy away. The dummy flew and flew a fair amount of feet away, even almost to dismantling due to the force of her strike.

Olivia brushed her hair away, accomplishing her task with a great degree of elegance. "It has been a while since I have used this form… I fear so might of held back a little by accident. Pray forgiveness."

"I'm sorry, did you say you held back?" Hael gaped. "I think that went further than the one four-arms smacked."

"My, My! As expected from a Vampire!" Divine clapped excitedly. It was fun for her to see her students try so hard.

Vivi shuffled over to the teacher. "I'm, uh, actually not feeling too well. Can I pass on PE today?" She forced a few pitiful coughs.

"Why didn't I think of that…" Hael muttered under his breath.

The young teacher felt a dilemma coming up. She knew Vivi was probably faking it but as a teacher she could not allow the health of her dear students to decline. "U-Uhh…" Divine stuttered as her eyes shifted towards Vivi and the remaining dummies that were still standing. "Only today then. I will not allow you to pass next time though!" Divine said, attempting a strict demeanor but with her build and facial expressions that didn't really come across. "Hael! Your turn." She said somehow a bit more strictly as she wrote down some more notes.

"Yes!" Vivi cheered before remembering her situation and forcing a couple more coughs. "I-I mean, I'm just so glad you understand. You're the best, teach!" She walked off, a look of relief on her face.

Hael sighed, but made the best of the situation by using the excuse to switch back to his fairy form. It wasn't strictly necessary to do so, but if he was going to be forced to participate and had an opportunity to be more comfortable while doing so, he was taking it.

He raised his hand in the direction of one of the dummies, a moment later, a sharp spire of earth shot up from the ground, piercing the dummy's abdomen and leaving it dangling from the spire.

"I don't really do the punching things thing." He shrugged.

"Woo, good job, Hael!" Laguna cheered, offering him a high five. She apparently forgot that in his true form he was roughly the same size as her hand, nearly swatting him out of the air.

Hael turned to the sound of an incoming mermaid with a sense of foreboding. That sense of foreboding was immediately proved accurate as a hand collided with him and sent him into a wild spiral through the air until he could get control of himself.

"Please never congratulate me again," Hael groaned, his head not stopping spinning just because his momentum had halted.

"Ah! I'm sorry!" Laguna reached to pick him up before remembering he didn't like that, so she just stood there, awkwardly wringing her hands. "I didn't mean to! I thought you'd high five back…"

"What difference would that make exactly?" Hael returned to his previous position. "Maybe next time pick a face that isn't mine to do that to?"

Divine giggled and wrote down Hael's abilities in her small notebook. "Good job, Hael." She said shortly after putting the notebook away, hidden from sight. "Since the dummies are… pretty broken by now haha… We'll have everyone else show their abilities in the next class. Including Vivi who unfortunately felt sick." Divine smiled warmly towards her students and made her way towards the ropes she had laid out. "Let's get to rope tugging wars! Yaay!"

"Yay, tugging!" Laguna matches her teacher's enthusiasm, grabbing one of the ropes before Divine can tell her otherwise. "I'm excited for this part! ...what do I do?"

Rin tried to remain unnoticed through most of the class, thinking about his teacher's words but also keeping an eye on Karma, her roommate, from afar. He didn't really plan out how to destroy a dummy - after all, he didn't have much choice but to cut it to shreds - but, he had to admit, some of the other students really caught his attention. Not the best scenario, given that the tug of war was about to start, and he was just no match for Olivia or Kenta.

When he noticed Laguna already with a rope in her hand, though, he decided to walk closer to her. She was one of his best friends at the academy, so he felt more confident about challenging her, but he didn't let her know about his intentions just yet. "Uhm… is this individual or in team?" he asked Divine.

"This is going to be team effort!" Divine nonchalantly mentioned to the rest of the class as she took her time to form some teams in her mind. "I'll be making the teams so that no one has to feel left out! Kenta is team 1 and Olivia is team 2!" Divine clapped in her hands to gain everyone's attention. "Joining Kenta will be Harold, Hael, Karma and Kyosei. Joining Olivia will be Laguna, Rin, Lena and since Vivi is sick she will be replaced by Tenma!" Divine glanced over at her and could see a pained expression appearing but before anyone could say anything or object the teams already took their places near the rope naturally.

The tugging war went fast. Both Olivia and Kenta were strong, that's why Divine had decided to put them on different teams and announce them team captains but for the tugging war to end up in a draw, nobody saw that coming. Laguna had used her water magic ability to make the rope slippery on Kenta's side but as Rin saw that happen, he tried to defy Laguna's will to cheat by freezing the rope... breaking it in process where both teams ended up on the ground.

Divine couldn't help but facepalm at the side. She should've seen this coming but in her four years of experience, no class had ever tried to cheat at the tugging war game. "T-That's it guys! Class has ended!" She once again clapped nervously. "Rin, I appreciate what you tried to do even if that didn't end well." She waved around with her finger and eventually pointed at the sharp teethed mermaid. "Laguna, cheating is bad! I think up your punishment for this and announce it in our next class together!" Divine's sudden strict voice pierced through everyone's ears but she was still smiling nonetheless. "I'll see you all thursday."

And with that, Divine's first class with this chaotic bunch had ended.

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
    Years

• bvPiVQm.jpg

Tea-Time

[h2][/h2]​

The scent trailed off before ever reaching the nurse's office. Disappointing, could have been an opportunity to learn about how to heal youkai sicknesses. A trip to the greenhouse later Kyosei found himself seriously wondering if different parts of the school had enchantments or something of the like on them. The garden and greenhouse both looked simple at a glance, but had an array of plants from both worlds in them, some of which had no right to survive in the same environment...Can't get distracted, might lose the scent, already difficult to parse through the strong smell of the herbs.

Many students looked sideways at the boy walking through the halls with a steaming cup of fragrant liquid in a very ornate teacup with sakura blossoms painted on it. He paid them no mind, all his concentration was on going the right way and keeping the cup just the right temperature. After all, he was still brewing as he walked, trying for the best concentration to balance flavor and effectiveness. The trail eventually led him to the library, where he gingerly entered and swiveled his head, nose twitching until he spotted his quarry.

Inside, nestled in the corner was Vivi, completely unaware she'd be having any visitors. She was focused entirely on her work, too busy typing furiously to notice the people around her. Unless they came close at which point she quickly changed the window to an in-progress game of solitaire. Which was exactly what she did when the sound of footsteps came close enough to trigger an alarm in her mind.

Vivi hid away her work and looked at the disruptor of her peace with a glare, which wasn't on purpose but reflected her true feelings nonetheless. An expression that softened the slightest bit upon smelling the cup of tea they set on the table beside her. "...Did you need something?" she asked, straining a polite smile.

"No, not at all, but I thought you might." Kyosei smiled a tiny courtesy smile of his own and slid the teacup closer to Vivi, whereupon she realized the cherry blossom flowers on it were painted on - and quite skillfully at that. "I remember you being sent out of class. My mother always told me tea was the most pleasant way to relieve a lot of minor problems, especially coughs, so I brewed some marshmallow root and honey for you. There should be very little bitterness. Sweet, light and smooth."

Vivi's eyes grew wide, having completely forgotten about her little ruse. She let out a few more fake coughs. "R-right, thanks. I'll, uh, drink it in a sec." She continued with her game of solitaire, keeping Kyosei in the corner of her eye. "...Was that all?"

"What species are you?" He asked as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

Her brow furrowed, her mind beginning to race with terrible possibilities. "...Why?"

"Curious." He said matter-of-factly. "Everyone else made what they were mostly obvious at PE, but not you."

Her brow somehow furrowed further. She touched the bridge of her nose in intense thought, clearly struggling to decide if she should tell him. Finally, after what felt like a full minute, she quietly said, "...Lamia…"

"Oh, interesting! What special traits do Lamia have?" Kyosei leaned over the table slightly without sitting down, suddenly consumed by the rush of discovery.

Vivi reflexively pulled away. "If you're really so curious, I'm sure there are plenty of books here about us, and a nice librarian to help you find them. Anything else? I'm a little busy at the moment."

Kyosei could feel his ears folding down even though they weren't currently there as he straightened up and away from the table. "Yes, you're probably right. Sorry to disturb your work. I hope the tea helps." He dipped his head and turned back towards the door.

Vivi let out a short sigh in relief before swapping back to her novel-in-progress and continuing her work. Work that would promptly be interrupted by a pair of boys doing some probably friendly roughhousing nearby. She did her best to ignore them, but that didn't really work when one of them was knocked into her table, pushing her tea toward the edge.

She reached out to grab it, managing to catch it before it spilled more than a few drops. At the same time she dropped her laptop, which fell screen-up for anyone to see the fruits of her labor. But at the moment she was more concerned with venting her frustration. "Fucking shitheads. Next time you trip I hope it's off a cliff."

As soon as the words left her mouth, she covered it in a panic. She looked around to see if she'd been heard. Fortunately, it seemed the boys who knocked her tea down never even noticed her, and were already gone. Which explained the tea being knocked down in the first place, but frustrated Vivi in an entirely different way. And besides them, there was nobody else in her little corner. Nobody except the boy who'd brought the tea - the same boy who Vivi now saw had large, fluffy ears sticking out of his head, twitching.

Kyosei had been so startled by the harsh words his ears had slipped out, but he didn't even notice before he turned and looked at the girl who'd seemed so eager to be rid of him.

Vivi stared at him blankly, mind racing to figure out what to do. In the end, she instinctively did what she'd always done in these situations. She underwent changes of her own, her pupils shrinking into slits and her teeth sharpening into fangs. "You saw nothing. You heard nothing. You speak of this to no one." Upon hearing her words, there was something in him that said it might be a good idea to listen to her. But it was little more than a tiny voice in the back of his mind, easily ignored.

Kyosei's nose and ears both twitched furiously at the sensation, like an itching in his brain. "How is the tea?" He finally asked.

Vivi's brainwashing had failed, she just knew it. Her fangs retracted, her eyes reverted, and she shrunk back into her chair, wide-eyed and trembling. Surely he knew what she tried to do. She looked at Kyosei, then the tea, then back at Kyosei, then again at the tea. With a shaky hand, she reached for it and finally took her first sip. "It's g-good," she managed.

"That's good, let me know if you ever want more." He smiled, confident she couldn't be too bad if she appreciated the tea, and made his way to leave the library.

Vivi didn't stop him. She picked up her laptop, but couldn't bring herself to continue her work. She simply stared at it, until finally deciding she wasn't getting anywhere. She slumped in her chair and took another sip of tea. It was relaxing, a momentary break from thinking about what was, this time for sure, her impending doom.

Last edited:

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024

Rei​

"Lena..." Rei gently tugged at Lena's sleeve, looking a little out of it. She'd stuck to Lena for most of the class, and she was ready to leave.

"Hm? Ah, right. Come on, let's go." The neko was always trying to get out of gym class in middle school, so it was silly to think that had changed any. It wasn't like she was averse to exercise; quite the opposite, in fact. Her problem was something entirely different.

In a treacherous forested region of the youkai realm, a variety of powerful magical beasts and other such highly dangerous creatures deterred most all youkai from even coming close. To a certain neko clan that called these woods home, however, that just made it the perfect hunting ground.

Kyou was the daughter of the clan head. Gifted with sharp senses and a knack for stealth, she was also one of their premier hunters despite only being fourteen. And once she had a target, there was no escaping her.

As a scout and tracker, Kyou took part in understanding the constant changes in the local ecosystem. These changes were often caused by events such as territorial disputes between the fauna or migration patterns. The better the clan knew about them, the better their hunts went and the better they could protect their village.

Today she caught the scent of blood on the wind—of a battle in progress. With the rest of her team off in other directions, it was up to her to check it out.

About halfway there, she started hearing the cries of a beast, and noticed a chill in the air. Soon enough she came across the scars of combat on the woods. Trees crushed and cut to shreds; carved-out earth decorated with permafrost and spikes of stone; and long quills sticking out of the ground and plantlife. She stopped to inspect the quills, quickly tossing one away after she plucked it out and spied a still-dripping purplish liquid.

"Manticore...?"

She'd only had the displeasure of seeing the corpse of one as a child. Thankfully rare, they were repulsive things, and their venom was more of a threat than their claws or fangs. Another cry of the creature pulled her back on track, and she rushed for the site.

Once there, Kyou immediately concealed herself amongst some of the wreckage, the fight still ongoing. One of the combatants had the body of a lion, a short-muzzled face accompanied by a pair of horns, and a long tail covered in the same quills she'd found earlier. It was already heavily injured, covered in matted blood, and just recovering from a blow.

Its opponent was a lone young man—another neko, evidently not of her clan, and mostly unscathed. He was so calm it was hard to think he was simply the only one left of his group, either. In fact, Kyou could even spy his tail playfully swishing about.

The manticore whipped its tail forward, sending quills flying.

"For the last time, you know that's not going to work." The neko casually chided the beast as a wall of dirt rose in front of him.

"Hm?" He leapt on top of the wall just before the beast's paw punched through and shattered it. He went overhead with the debris, landing clean in the branches of a tree that hadn't yet been broken, and with a swipe of his hand let loose a blade of wind. The manticore howled when it struck an already-injured area of its body, throwing another volley of quills at him.

What followed was a series of similar exchanges of no particular note, with Kyou changing position regularly to keep up with them while staying hidden. The important part was that the neko's weapon of choice through the whole deal was magic. Kyou didn't see a hint of his claws once.

The neko was precise, as well. He kept the number of visible wounds low, taking his time for each attack to ensure he only deepened the injuries he'd already caused by the time Kyou caught up. There were few creatures even in this no-man's-land that would have anything to do with a manticore, so they were completely uninterrupted despite the monster's howling and the sounds of magic surely drawing attention.

After some time, the battle ended with the manticore lying dead on the ground, having lost its tail shortly before it went down. Needles shaped from stone were embedded deep in bloody gashes on its side and legs, having slowly lost its mobility and strength.

Seating himself on a fallen tree trunk, the neko pulled a canteen from his hip and took a long drink. Soon though, he paused. He thrust his hand out in Kyou's direction, giving her a start, but no magic came.

As soon as he noticed her presence, Shun nearly fired a spell to blow away the trees she hid within and her with them—he heard her ears twitch and rustle the leaves as if in response to his hand's movement, and he froze.

"A person?" he started as he took a closer look, spying the faint white streaks of her hair in the greenery. "Show yourself."

He cautiously kept his hand up, and she meekly hopped down from the branches she was sheltered in. No matter how he looked at her, she was just a young girl. As she was dressed in clothes well-suited for movement and a cloak that blended with the local flora, though, there was clearly more to her.

Nobody in their right mind would come to a place filled with deadly monsters like this without a reason. There's no way she was lost, and if she was after his life he would surely have already been dead.

Shun lowered his arm and asked, "Who are you?" And how did you get past my detection?

"Kyou." She gave a straightforward but soft-spoken answer, her tail swaying about curiously. There was a glint in her eyes as she slowly got a few steps closer. It was like watching a kitten, and made him feel silly for thinking of her as a threat just a moment ago. "Are you... a mana artist?"

Mana artist. Magician, sorcerer, enchanter—words humans tended to use to describe magic practitioners. To youkai, practitioners who weren't mages or fairies were referred to as mana artists.

"Yeah, I am. What are you doing out here?"

"This is, my home. What, about you?"

Nobody in their right mind would come to a place filled with deadly monsters like this without a reason. There's no way he was about to admit he just came out to this remote location to blow off some steam. He kept his mouth shut, and turned his eyes to the dead manticore nearby.

The girl, Kyou, looked briefly in thought, then nodded her head as if understanding what he meant. Just when had she gotten close enough to sit down beside him?

"You're hurt," she said, staring at the wounds he sustained during the fight. He'd completely avoided its venom, but Shun still took a solid cut from its claws. While it wasn't too bad from the feel of it, blood was creeping down his arm, and his mantle was sticking to his skin.

"Oh, this is—hey, ow, what're you—" Shun tried to protest as Kyou grabbed his arm, pulling away the cloth and inspecting the wound. To reiterate, it looked worse than it felt. Regardless, she set about giving him a round of basic treatment, and Shun couldn't bring himself to take his arm back from her.

"... What's your name?"

"Shun."

"Shun?" She repeated his name a few times under her breath, her ears twitching with each repetition.

When she finally seemed satisfied, Shun continued. "So, do you really live here?"

"Mhm... My village has been here, for a long time."

He was taken aback by the knowledge of youkai inhabiting this forest. Deadly as they may have been, manticores were hardly the worst thing to be found here, not to mention the neighboring mountain being home to a dragon.

Before long his arm was clean and bandaged, and after he thanked her Kyou got back on her feet, gently tugging at his hand.

"What's wrong?"

"Come."

"Huh?"

"Healer."

"... Is that really okay?"

"Mm."

He wasn't in familiar territory, and he couldn't ask for better than getting a proper look at his arm soon. He was hardly in a rush to get home, either, given the reason he was out here in the first place. In the end Shun couldn't come up with a reason to object, so he agreed to join her.

Anyway, the point is, Rei was horny and the one at fault was willing to oblige, so she pulled Lena back to her room.

Sapphire Rose

Years
  • DAY 3: Whispers in the hallways

"See. I told you this would happen!" A young Neko boy stormed around a dorm room. Whose it was, was of no importance. Except that it was on the second floor near the end of the hallways and he wasn't being particularly quiet.

"Shhh! You'll make it even worse by yelling and tramping around like that! I thought kitties were delicate creatures?" The other boy tried to calm down his friend. From the looks of it, he was a werewolf but the only way that could be determined was from his hands that briefly turned into claws. His brown hair and scar under his eye only made him seem a little rough around the edges.

"Say that again?!" The neko boy hurled himself at the wolf boy's throat, clenching his collar between his fists as he kept his face close to his. Making the werewolf, in turn, blush from the sudden interaction.

"Can you please hold your lover's quarrel somewhere else? I'm trying to sleep." a little boy sat down on the bed and sleepily rubbed his eyes. "How can you say that after you kept us up all night!" The two other boys screamed in unison. The neko boy finally let go of the werewolf's collar and immediately faced away from him. The soft red glow appearing on his cheeks didn't go unnoticed and made the werewolf fidget in his place. "A-Anyway! You said you had no home to return to, right? So we brought you along under the impression you would stay inside the dorm room! You weren't supposed to be seen!" While the ears of the Neko boy were pushed back behind by a hair band, they still peaked up a little.

"You didn't tell me I had to. I just went out to get some breakfast." The little boy replied while scoffing at the absurdity of both boys in front of him. After it was quiet for a bit, mostly because the two other boys were glaring at him, he scratched the back of his head decorated with snow white hair. "I was hungry..."

"Ask us to get you food next time instead. If you are found we're all in trouble here." The werewolf spoke sternly, making the much younger boy flinch from his demeanour. "Technically, only I would since this is my room and I'm keeping him here." while the Neko tried to intervene, he was shushed by his werewolf friend. "Not important." He said. "Uhh yes important!" He made himself ready for them to be at each other throat's again. He was ignored, however.

"We don't even know your name."

"U-Uh... Z-Zero? Yes, Zero. My name is Zero." The white haired young boy seemed content with his own answer, the werewolf wasn't buying it but also figured he probably wouldn't get this kid to spill his real name. Why did they brought him here again? Oh yeah. He begged.

"Thank you for letting me stay here!"

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years

• Rin Wrangell
    Day 3 - Cafeteria - with Laguna, Kenta, Olivia
    Joint post with Godzil, PastelPhoenix, Dragon // Yuki Onna - 17 - ♂

After the disastrous ending of Gym class, Laguna made her way to the cafeteria. Her friends and classmates were mad at her, and Divine was planning on punishing her, just for following instructions! It wasn't fair! She didn't have her usual energy after all that, but she hoped some food would cheer her up.

The lunch lady seemed to notice Laguna's sour mood, because she was nice enough to give Laguna an extra portion, along with a small bag from the store. "Oh, thank you!" Laguna managed a small smile. "Nothing's better than free food!" She was very curious about the bag, and when she got to her seat, she opened it to find it was full of various types of treats.

"Ooh, these look new! What's this? Chocolate?" She unwrapped the small dark square, popping it into her mouth. Her eyes widened, and she couldn't help but grin at the sweet taste. "Oh, wow! It's really good!"

That left Rin still on the scene of the crime, so to speak. "I-I'm sorry my plan didn't work. But I wanted to win fair and square, not by cheating."
    To be fair, his head was actually still up in the clouds. He froze the water mostly out of instinct, and was quite surprised to find out it even worked in the first place. But given the outcome of his intervention, Rin felt the need to at least apologize to his classmates.

"Hey, no problem," Kenta said, reassuring Rin although he was still a little confused by the outcome. Outside of him and Olivia it honestly wasn't much of a fair match anyways. It was a good strategy, even though the rope was too fragile for an all out match between them all. "If we had something more durable I wouldn't mind a match where we didn't have to hold back."

"Someone should actually check up on her though." he glanced over his shoulder to where the mermaid in question had sulked off. "I hope she didn't take it too badly. I'll go check the cafeteria."

"Hm, good idea… I'm coming too, if you don't mind!" the snowman replied hastily, nodding at Kenta.

The pair made their way to the cafeteria, where they spotted Laguna sitting by herself. She didn't notice them or anyone else, her attention instead on her water, which she was making slowly dance with her magic.

Kenta worked his way over to the table, having to awkwardly squeeze his way past a few crowds. Walking up behind the mermaid, he lightly bopped his fist against the back of her head before pulling back the chair next to her. "Hey, you alright, shortstack? You looked pretty bummed leaving class."

Laguna made a strange kind of "blep!" sound as Kenta booped her head, losing focus and dropping the water all across the table. She tilted her head back to see who it was, having to lean back in order to see. "Oh, hi Kenta! I guess I was, a little… Still am, a little…"

She grabbed onto his arm, trying to pull herself up like he was a jungle gym or something. "People seemed kinda mad at me, and Divine said she was gonna punish me, but I thought the whole point was to show off?"

The oni lifted his arm, and the mermaid by proxy, just a bit before setting her back in her seat and sitting down. "Yeah, seems a little weird to go from full show off mode to holding back, but there's probably a point to having us do both." He said, leaning back in his chair. "I dunno though. That was a good trick, even if we ended up kinda breaking the rope countering it."

"I know, right? That's the worst part! Everyone was having so much fun, and then… I ruined it for everyone." She slumped in her chair, letting her face hit the table. "I just don't know what went wrong." She reached for her bag, grabbing a random candy to put in her mouth. She awkwardly unwrapped it, chewing on a lollipop with soft "nom nom nom" sounds.

"About that… my fault, sorry! I wanted a fair win, I was sure we could succeed without cheating." Rin showed up beside Kenta, greeting the Mermaid. "Though I can see you had no bad intentions, Laguna."

Laguna magic'd the water off of the table and back into the bottle, remembering Rin didn't like getting wet. "Hi, Rin. There's that word again. Are you being punished, too?"

"Uhm, actually… no." he replied, frowning. "Why?"

Laguna actually smiled at that. "That's good! I wouldn't want my friends in trouble for something I did. I wonder what Divine has in mind?"

"Hope it's nothing too bad, it wasn't that big of a deal in hindsight. Except for me, obviously!" Rin chuckled, once again catching that one special word in the mermaid's reply. "Alright, uhm… do you mind if me and Kenta join you for lunch?"

"Aww, you guys are so nice! No one else ever wants to sit with me!" She gave Kenta a hug, and almost did the same to Rin before she remembered. "Oh right, no touching. Uh… oh! Have some candy!"

She took the lollipop she'd been unsuccessful in chewing and shoved it toward Rin's mouth with a smile. "It's grape flavored!"

"Th-thank" mumbled Rin in disbelief. He tried to get out of the way, out of instinct, but didn't quite succeed and wound up with someone else's candy right in his mouth. "But that was yours…" he tried to complain, before feeling somewhat cooler and more at ease. Taking the lollipop out of his mouth before sucking it again confirmed his theory: the candy was to blame. "You know what, I like it! I'm not used to the flavor but it's a nice feeling I get from… whatever this is." Rin remarked.

"I'm going to go actually grab something to eat." Kenta excused himself from the table. Laguna seemed to be cheering up pretty quickly, and truth be told his decision to search the cafeteria wasn't entirely altruistic. "No offense, but I think it's going to take a little more than that for my lunch."

"Same actually…" the snowman mumbled before following his classmate, remembering that he still had Laguna's lollipop in his mouth only when it was too late. That wasn't supposed to happen regardless though! After all, he still needed to get his own lunch from the cafeteria.

"I'll be here!" Laguna waved cheerfully. "Bring me something too, please!" She smiled after them, then she was by herself again. It was good that they weren't too upset, and that Rin wasn't being punished for using his own powers. Maybe the others were okay with what she'd done, too?

...Then came the vampire.

"I've hope thou learned thy lesson," said a stern, unhappy Olivia, with her hands on her hips. "Cheating is not worth it."

"Olivia! Hi…" At least now Laguna wouldn't need to look for her. "I'm sorry, I really didn't know it was cheating. But… why are you mad? I was on your team."

"What is the point in winning if it is done by cheating?" Olivia asked, shaking her head. "And no... I am not angry. But disappointed, yes."

"I… guess that makes sense?" This wasn't the first time Laguna had been called a disappointment. "But when is it okay to use my powers, and when is it cheating? Is my magic only good for party tricks?"

"Maybe…" Rin replied as he came back from the counter with his lunch. "But if you want a fair game, you need to follow the rules like everyone else!" He took a seat and put down his food on the table, before greeting Olivia. "And hello again… Olivia!"

"I don't think I like that line of thinking," Kenta placed a tray full of hearty, dense foods on the table. "Were those rules really fair to everyone? It's kinda easy for me and Olivia to say it's fair when, no offense, we're a lot stronger at that sort of thing." He stopped to take a large bite of bread, barely having to chew before swallowing. "I don't think me and Hael would have a very fair arm-wrestling match, but he's definitely got me beat in magic and liver function."

"I think I get it now…" Laguna put a hand to her chin, idly chewing her finger in thought. "I need to play fair, and to be fair I can't use my magic unless the opponent is better than me… Makes perfect sense! Thanks, guys! I'll never cheat again!"

Rin didn't reply, but just chuckled, thinking back at his mermaid childhood friends. They always say not to trust mermaids too much. But I guess it's one more reason to be her friend… maybe she's not just like them.

"Well, no harm done at any rate I suppose," Olivia said, followed up with a sincere smile. "I do not think we've ever chatted like this before but, I hope we can all get along."

In Rin's mind, that sounded more like a warning coming from the Vampire. And if there was someone the snowman had to be careful not to get on the bad side of, it was most likely Olivia. "I see, I see." he replied with a slight smile, before inviting her to lunch together with the rest of the group. And… what else? "Oh, can I just say, I've been very impressed by your powers and strength! Just what kind of Yokai are you, Olivia?"

"Thou have seen this for yourself, but I am a Vampire," Olivia explained. Rin almost interrupted her at that point: "That's the… word, thanks."

"We Vampires have lived in seclusion from the human world for hundreds of years," Olivia explained. "My father is a proud member of nobility, and one of the great leaders of our society. This rose decoration that I wear on my prospect is my rosemary, that's been passed down my family for centuries. The teacher explained this before, but it keeps my power, and bloodlust in check."

"I see…" was all that Rin could say (again), in a mixture of amazement and wariness. "No matter how hard I try, my powers are just not on the same level though… which brings me to ask, why are you in this Academy?"

"T-That is, well…" Olivia started, almost reluctantly. "As I said, my father is one of the heads of nobility in my clan, and I… I am the next heir. So I am here simply to learn all I can and become stronger." Olivia then gave a sigh. "Vampires are also well known for their pride, after all."

"Interesting! And to think I got here by chance… I've lived in Alaska until the other day, in isolation, and I already miss home. If only-" Rin stopped and looked down, frowning as the memories came back to the surface. "It gets worse every summer." he whispered, before munching on some more of his lunch.

"May I ask what happened?" Olivia inquired. "Well, the whole area seems to get hotter and hotter. There have been wildfires too… it hurts, it's dangerous. After all, I'm a snowman!" Rin replied. "I'm not sure if I can do anything but I guess I was sent here to find out. Or something."

"Wow, sorry to hear that, Rin!" Laguna pushed aside her empty plate. "I wish we could help somehow. I mean, I can't imagine what it would be like if my home was on fire. I bet it would look really cool, though…"

"You'd lose everything, but I guess you wouldn't melt at least. And… luckily the wildfire has never gotten that close." Rin shrugged.

"Wait… you'd actually melt?!"

"Feels like it, yeah."

Laguna leaned over the table to get a closer look at Rin, stopping just short of actually touching him. "I thought you just had snow powers, like my water. I didn't know you were actually snow!"

"I'm not snow, Laguna. Unless the astral body is? Or whatever that was about. But regardless, I don't think I'm a normal person either! Even now, as you know, I'm cold to the touch and that… is not normal. It's like… I work a bit differently beneath the surface." Rin tried to explain, not entirely sure himself of how he really worked, and slightly put off by those eyes staring at him, so close to his face.

Satisfied with her inspection (for now), Laguna sat back down, flashing a bright smile. "Well, of course you're not normal, Rin-Rin! Normal's boring! You know how often my sisters talk down about 'normal people'? You're fun, and nice, and cool, and smart, and so much else I can't think of right now!" She had stolen some of his food, happily eating it now.

Rin stared at her with a baffled look on his face. "T-thanks Laguna." he muttered, eating some more of his lunch and realizing that something had disappeared. "B-but… no, nothing." Whatever she took, she probably needed that food more than him… unless she dared to steal the lollipop he got for himself. For anything else, arguing wasn't worth it in Rin's mind.

"Nothing here is normal, if you hadn't noticed," Kenta said, placing his last (now empty) bowl down. "I don't think anything here is normal. Our classmates. The fact everyone has a roommate except I. The 'normal' state of things is yokai constantly fighting. Humans, other yokai, whatever. If anything, we're the abnormal ones or normal doesn't exist."

"Oh you wanna talk about roommates?" Rin couldn't help but reply, as he finally finished all of his remaining lunch. "But I suppose you're right, and someone I know of needs to accept it."

"Thanks for having lunch with me!" Laguna seemed to be back to her usual cheerful state. "It's nice having friends, it made me feel better!" She gave a quick side hug to Olivia, then a regular hug to Kenta, and a friendly pat on the shoulder to Rin. Or at least, she stopped her hand an inch above his shoulder and said "Pat, pat!" Then she left, going who knows where.

"Thanks for having me as well! See you!" Rin greeted the other Yokai too, bringing his empty tray back to the counter like other students did before leaving the cafeteria as well.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hael Clar and Rin Wrangell
    Front of the School

Hael, now comfortably returned to his usual fairy appearance, rested against the edge of the school building. Nobody was around, his classmates and his teachers were nowhere to be seen and as of yet nobody had confiscated his liquor stash. His face still stung a bit from the unfortunate incident with Laguna earlier and just having to be involved in all the stupid showing off was pretty much the opposite of fun but that moment there was peaceful bliss. He took another swig out of the flask he had liberated from his bag.

"This school thing is going to become a problem when this all runs out," he mused.

In the meantime, Rin was just strolling around the outside of the Academy, with no real destination in mind. His only real goal was to explore more of the school grounds on that one afternoon he didn't have much to do - but also clear his mind from all of the things he'd just learned in the morning. Oh, and staying away from Karma.

The only issue? He found someone he probably needed to stay away from even more! His eyes spotted Hael, and remained fixed on him long enough to realize just what he was doing. Well, not entirely - all Rin really knew was, Hael was drinking something that wasn't water. And there was another thing the snowman didn't realize: he wasn't hiding or anything, Hael could have easily seen him.

Hael took another gulp from the flask and looked out over the grounds, or at least he tried to, but there was someone obstructing the view. The fairy sighed, it seemed that one of his classmates had managed to not only find him but was staring at him rather intently.

"What are you looking at? Got a problem?" Hael questioned irritably.

"Yeah, uhm." Rin tried not to make things worse. "I didn't expect to see you here. And what's that… drink?" he asked, his voice still unsteady.

"I was hoping not to see anyone else here either, but here we are." Hael punctuated this statement with another swig. "It's gin and I'm not sharing… and you better hope you're not going to rat me out."

"Don't worry, I don't like… that thing." Rin replied. "But as for me not telling anyone, I guess it's up to you." The snowman added with a smug expression. At least, he made an attempt to avoid future pranks from the Fairy, right?

Hael scowled at the snowman for several long moments before finally uttering a resigned sigh. It seemed like Rin was sharper than he'd given him credit for, he wouldn't be able to give him too much grief for the time being. "Touche. So what do you want?"

"To be honest, I just needed to get outside and clear my thoughts. I'd better leave my roommate alone after all. And speaking of which, d'you know any cool, quiet place around the school grounds? I haven't explored much… at all."

"This place was pretty quiet until about ten minutes ago," Hael replied, "Although I'll admit just recently it seems to have gotten cooler."

"Did it…? I don't know why." Rin said, with a slight chuckle. Guess that's what happens to you when you have mermaid friends.

Before Hael had the chance to muster another retort, the front doors to the school building burst open again, eliciting a sigh of annoyance from Hael. The fairy drowned his frustrations in another gulp of gin as the new arrivals talked loudly to each other.

"He's not here either!" One of the girls said, pouting somewhat.

"That's bothersome," The second replied.

"What's bothersome is being dragged around looking for some kid," The third student, this one a male, interjected.

"Aren't you interested though? It's not every day some mysterious silver-haired kid wanders into the school."

"Not overly." The boy shrugged.

"Don't pretend you have anything better to do, Howard," the second girl jibed, making the first laugh. "Let's go try the dorms and the cafeteria again." With that, the trio made their way back inside.

"Emphasis on used to be quiet" Hael grumbled.

"It's ok, I'll find another place. But-" Rin tried to focus on what had just happened. "Wait, what did they just say? A kid as in… it can't be true, right?"

"Beats me," Hael said. "It'd be a kid as in someone who is not an adult. That's all I've got for you and I'm not that interested in finding out more."

"You're right. But if that's the case, why be so excited?" the snowman added, thinking aloud. "Like, now I wanna find out."

"Please do," Hael said. "Somewhere that isn't here preferably."

"Heh, will do. But…" Rin didn't add more, but made the usual "I see you" gesture towards Hael before walking away. "See you in class!"

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022

Vivi and Kenta

Dormitory

It had been a long day, and all Vivi wanted to do was sleep. And in a real bed, rather than the cobbled-together mess of anything soft she could find in that utility closet she'd been using. To that end, she stood at the door of her dorm room. She was frozen in place, her hand at the doorknob but not quite touching it.

She'd been like this for a couple minutes, running simulations in her mind of how it could go. And she could have stayed like that for much longer if not for the fact that people were beginning to stare. Eventually she decided she had no choice but to go in. Best case scenario, she could gain him as an ally, and possibly as the dragon to her Yshera as a way of gaining influence over other youkai. Worst case scenario… well, despite it not being the actual worst case, she settled on the worst case being that she ran away and continued to live in the ever-reliable closet.

She straightened her back, puffed out her chest, and took one last deep breath before stepping into the room. Behind the door was not a very started oni, obviously just finished hiding something under his pillow. He let out a relieved sigh upon seeing Vivi and picked up the book he tossed at the edge of his bed in shock, but did not reach back for whatever he put under the pillow.

"Hey Viv," Kenta said, fumbling the pages in the book to get back to his spot, "Need anything from me?"

"Viv? Oh, uh, no," she stumbled over her words as she stumbled over to her bed, trying to somehow keep an eye on Kenta and look away from him at the same time. She attempted a cheery tone and a friendly smile, key word being attempted. "J-just figured it was about time I got settled in the room is all. This room. My- our room. The room that we, uh, share. Apparently."

It took a few moments for the words to even appear to have an impact on the oni. "Uhuh. Lemme make sure… you said our room?" He sputtered; his brain apparently short circuited trying to process this information. "Wait, wait, wait. Before that, you aren't a ghost or anything else invisible, right? You mean get settled as in… new to this room… and not has been here the whole time, right?"

"No. I mean yes. I mean yes that's right, no I haven't been here. I've… beeeeeen…" She shuffled through the lies she'd rehearsed in her mind to find the most believable one. "I've been staying in a friend's room. She uh… I was a bit nervous about sharing a room with a guy I didn't know so she let me stay with her. Yeah."

"Hey, I'm not so bad." He finally found his page and dog-eared while chucking to himself. "And of course you weren't here, none of your stuff was. Nice of your friend to let you stay with her though."

After one more relieved sigh he closed his and shifted to stand up. "Need any help carrying stuff in? I can grab some of the heavier stuff." He moved to put his book on his nightstand without looking, accidentally shifting the pillow to reveal a bit of reflective glass without knowing.

She glanced at the glint from beneath his pillow, but looked away just as quickly. "No no, I've got it. I'm good, no need to worry about me, no siree. I don't want to interrupt, uh, whatever it was you were doing, after all." She put her backpack down beside her bed and looked at it for a few seconds.

Then, without any false cheer in her voice she said, "I'll worry about all of that later anyway. For now I just need a bit of a nap. Or maybe a lot of a nap, That sounds nice." She pulled a pair of earphones out of her pocket and fell face-first on her bed.

With a slight shrug, Kenta returned to a comfortable position on his bed. He grabbed his book of human folktales and returned to the section about some human king with a round table or something. After a few minutes of reading and occasional glances to make sure Vivi was actually asleep, he reached under his pillow and retrieved his stashed sake bottle. He was content to let his new roommate sleep.

Until a few chapters and a few more drinks later, when memories of the strange event from this morning returned. After getting out of bed and walking to his wardrobe, the oni pulled a stuffed unicorn that somehow made its way to his room out from the top. "I almost thought this was some kind of warning." He took the toy with him to Vivi's bed, placing it next to her.

Vivi stirred. Perhaps on instinct, she reached for her stuffed companion and pulled it close. Her expression softened as she embraced the unicorn. It then did the opposite of that as her eyes shot open in a panic. She sat up and turned the unicorn around in her hands, examining every inch of it. Seemingly satisfied, she let out a held breath and crumpled back into bed with it.

She pulled out her phone, figuring she should probably actually plug her earphones in to something if they were to be of any use. She didn't actually plan to listen to anything, but she thought it was a good way to avoid any further conversation while still being able to listen to her roommate. She still couldn't be sure he wasn't going to try anything. But before she did so she decided to ask Kenta one last question.

Vivi spoke without turning to face him. "Hey, do you know anything about that orange-haired fox kid? The one in our class."

"Kyosei?" Kenta scratched his head at the request. "He's a bit quiet, but the ear thing is a little funny. Can't say I've ever really spoken to him outside of class that much though. Something up with him, like some dark secret or whatever?"

"S-secrets? No, there's uh... there's no secrets. Just curious is all. He hunted me down earlier and I wasn't sure if I should be worried."

"Hunt, eh? Well, any other Kitsune I'd say maybe, but I don't think he can hurt much. Intentionally, anyways. He's a bit too quiet to be the manipulative sort, even for a fox. Can't say for sure though, his kind is supposed to be tricky."

"Is that so? Good to know. Thanks, um…" Despite sharing a room with him, she struggled to remember his name. In her mind she'd always called him "that brute" or something else along those lines.

"It's Kenta," he finished with a small hint of annoyance at her forgetting. "Uhh… I guess I have a return question. You've got all kinds of human stuff there, so you'll probably have a better idea of it than me. What do humans… do? I can tell you why a vampire or a mermaid is strong… but what was it about humans?"

Vivi scoffed, letting her true self show. "Humans aren't strong. At least, that's not the word I'd use when they're so easy to mind control. Though I guess they're as strong as they need to be. There are a lot of them, and they can do a lot of things with those kinds of numbers. They build off of each other's ideas, constantly innovating. Every day there's something newer, better, more convenient. Doesn't make them any more of a threat to me, but I like the stuff they make so they're nice to have around."

Kenta lifted an eyebrow in surprise. "Mind control? That's a hell of a power." He sat in silence for a moment, pondering over the power. "I can see what you mean with the numbers though."

"Was that all?" she asked.

"Yeah, I guess that's all." He said after a few moments of thought. "I guess I'll let you get to sleep. Kind of look like a dead man walking, no offense."

She gave no response. And after plugging in her earphones, she was silent.

Years
  • Laguna Beach, Lena Fujikawa
    Outside

Laguna was feeling better after lunch, enough that just going back to her room didn't sound very fun. So she decided to look around the campus for a bit, walk off some of her extra energy. Some of the classrooms were closed still, so she decided to go outside, working her way back toward where the tug-of-war had ended. "It's warm, wind is good, and there's not too many people around! It's actually a nice day!"

The school had a field dedicated to some kind of sport she didn't know the name of, surrounded by a track and several walking paths. Sports could be fun, as long as there weren't too many rules she had to learn.

Laguna recognized one girl from class jogging on the track, but the name escaped her. Either she forgot it or she wasn't paying attention in the first place. She watched the girl for a moment, wondering where she was going. She just kept going in a circle. Was this training of some kind? Laguna stepped out onto the track, and the rough surface felt odd against her bare feet. "Guess I'll give this a shot…"

She started walking, getting a feel for the track. She glanced at the other girl on the other side, mimicking her posture as she started to jog. "Oh, I get it now! This is kinda fun! Let's see what these legs can really do!" She took off running, the rough ground making her feet tingle on impact. It felt weird, and she couldn't help but laugh.

She came up behind the other girl, flashing her a quick grin as she got beside her. "Hello!" she shouted, as her excitement was starting to boil over. The girl responded in kind, but neither got any more out before Laguna sped along, and just kept running. Her breath was coming in shorter and faster breaths, which was thrilling. She put on more speed, pretending she was chasing down a tasty fish.

Before long, she saw the girl ahead of her again. This girl hadn't changed her speed one bit. "Hey there!" Laguna called to her, slowing down once she got close. It took her a moment to match the girl's speed, but she was jogging beside her soon enough.

"So… this is a lot of fun!" Laguna was a little short of breath, but didn't let that stop her from talking. "You do this often? Running like this? I've never… really ran before! I'm Laguna, by the way!"

"I'm Lena," she answered, taking a glance at Laguna. "We're in the same class, aren't we?"

"I think so…" Laguna looked at Lena, but found it difficult to pay attention to the track and her new friend at the same time, so she just focused on jogging. "You look familiar, but I don't think we've ever met. Classes have been rough for me so far. But I like meeting new people!"

Lena laughed, "Well, it's nice meeting you!"

"You too!" The two made quick friends while Laguna caught her breath—as much as she could while talking at least. Lena apparently did this a lot as post-meal exercise, which was something Laguna understood well. Once the mermaid recovered she continued, "Hey, how fast can you go? Can you show me?"

"Sure. Think you can keep up?" She threw Laguna a confident grin and took off on the track.

"Hehe, well I am a hunter!"

Laguna sped after her, soon realizing that every time she got close, Lena got farther away. Lena was just toying with her, letting her get so close and leaving her hanging! But before long Laguna started laughing again, determined to catch her for sure.

"Come on, is that all you got?" Running like this was a lot different than swimming. Underwater, her prey could go in any direction, but on land, there were a lot less options, and Lena was staying on the track. Of course, Laguna wasn't used to being out of breath, or the burning in her legs from all this exertion. She tried to save her breath, so she stopped talking.

The track curved at the corner. Lena had to slow down to make the turn, and looked back to check on Laguna. Laguna grinned in excitement. She was right behind her now! This is my chance! She pushed herself forward, leaping toward Lena with her arms outstretched.

...or that was the plan.

Forgetting how humans jump, Laguna's leg flew out from under her, and she went nearly full horizontal. Lena turned around just in time to catch her, but that just meant the two collided and went flying off the track onto the grass. They hit the ground and rolled, Laguna ending up safely on top of Lena. Lena coughed a few times, and Laguna gasped for breath herself while her legs shook uselessly.

"Nice save…" Laguna gave a weak thumbs up as she rested her head. Lena was so soft, like pillows, and Laguna's fatigue was catching up to her after all that running. She must have dealt Lena a good hit too, because even after her breathing steadied she didn't seem inclined to get up any time soon. "You okay, Lena?"

"Yeah... I'm good. How about you?"

"Uh-huh. You're really comfy… I'm gonna... take a nap..."

"... Alright. Let's take a nap..."

Laguna let her exhaustion take her, and she closed her eyes, embracing the comfort beneath her and the gentle petting against her head.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years

• Rin Wrangell
    Day 3 - Dorm building, ground floor
    Yuki Onna - 17 - ♂

The door that lead outside closed behind Rin with a fairly loud noise, but not loud enough to drown out the chatting and arguing of the three Yokai in front of him. They were surely the group that caught his attention back in the garden - where they suddenly came out, looked around, mentioned a certain "kid", and ran back inside!

After what Rin told Hael before, he felt obliged to at least make an attempt to find them again. And despite having very low expectations, his attempt was, in fact, fruitful! The three students - second year students, now that he could look at them more closely - were right there, almost waiting for him to barge into their conversation. He just needed to ask them the right questions and gain some information... right?

Asking them the right questions? Rin stopped and leaned against the wall, realizing just how difficult that could have been for him. Why? Because those three were complete strangers to him! They weren't classmates, roommates, fellow citizens, and the only thing that they seemed to have in common with the Snowman was their interest for this "kid". He had to be at least careful not to make a fool of himself, and to find a decent question to start off.

The group in front of him was made up of two girls and one boy. One girl was tall and slender, with black hair, black eyes, and a rather tan skin tone, while the other was quite tiny and pale, with blonde hair and blue eyes. That made up for a strong contrast, and the boy was somewhat caught in the middle: brown hair and eyes, average height, some signs of a moustache and beard already there on his round face (Rin still had none, after all). He was most likely the Howard the other girls mentioned before.

Rin's time for preparations finally ended as the taller girl appeared to be leaving the group. While the Snowman had tried to overhear some of their words even before that moment, he still couldn't figure out what they were talking about, leaving his curiosity unquenched. Now, it was time to act for real! "Excuse me," he begun, getting closer to the group. "You came out onto the garden shouting, is something up?"

"Uhh..." the blonde girl turned to him with an alluring smile. "We're just on a little mission. But we could use some more help! Wanna come?"

"Hey Lily, I don't think this is a good idea." the other girl chimed in, acting as if Rin was never there. She seemed just as serious and collected, as the other girl was eager. "This is a rather personal matter, got it?" she then turned to Rin, seemingly looking down on him.

"Come on Chloe, why not?" Lily complained before the Snowman could say anything. He, in fact, just looked at the girls in confusion, still conflicted between leaving them be or staying a bit more. Eventually, though, he replied. "What is it that you need help with, then? I'd be glad to help."

All the students' eyes fixed on Rin as he asked that question - even the boy stopped looking distracted, turned towards the Snowman, and spoke first from behind the two girls. "I don't know you but if you can help these two in my place, I'd appreciate it." One could tell he was already with his mind in his room, away from all that chatting and running around the school. "Long story short, there are rumors of a kid hiding in this school, and they want to find it. That's really it, and yet they're going mad." he continued, a very slight smirk showing up on his face. Maybe it was some kind of revenge?

"And now I can le-" the boy was interrupted by the blonde girl grabbing his uniform as he tried to walk away sneakily. "Got you!" Lily laughed, "You and your magic nose aren't going anywhere, Howard!" In the meantime, her voice was being covered by Chloe's own words of disappointment. "And now the damage is done!" she facepalmed.

Rin was still waiting for a satisfactory reply, however. Howard's story left him with more questions than answers, and Chloe's declaration only made things more nebulous. But if things were really like that, why were these two girls so secretive about it? Why not inform the teachers instead? That was going to be his next question.

"Can't you just ask the teachers for help?" he muttered, as his words were met with fear and apprehension. "No teachers have to know, no newspaper article has to be made, and for all I care no students other than me should have anything to do with this. But alas..." Chloe commented, still serious as ever. Lily laughed at that remark, knowing that her 'friend' was talking about her.

"Ok then... why do you want to find this kid?" Rin asked right away, getting one more pout from the black haired girl. Hopefully this time, every student could respond properly.

"That is none of your conc-" Chloe hastily tried to reply as Lily stopped her. "Please! We'll save this kid and keep him for ourselves! We must take the chance!" she replied, with a dreamy voice. Howard spoke last this time, instead. "You two should just stop, you'll just get in big trouble." he warned his friends.

Rin didn't speak this time, because as he was still busy figuring out the meaning of Lily's words, she burst out laughing. "You're so heartless, wolf boy. And envious of our powers too, it seems!" She then turned to the Snowman. "But you can feel my struggles instead, can't you?" she grinned, definitely trying to look... well, seductive was probably the correct word.

The white haired boy couldn't help but blush slightly, still unaware of what exactly was happening to him - it was nothing he couldn't shake off if he needed to, however. Apparently, even Lily was aware that her now evident Succubus magic wouldn't work that well on other Yokai. Oh, but on that 'kid' it would work wonders... if the rumors were true, that is.

"What do you think you're doing?" Chloe broke the spell herself. "Don't waste time like that!"

"B-but I made him blush and he's just a Yokai like us! This me-" Lily explained, before Chloe literally shut her up with a hand on her mouth. She looked very worried and unusually upset. "You idiot! This is top secret information. None of you here have heard anything." she hissed, her voice actually changing slightly as her eyes turned into fissures. She had just given away the fact that she was a Lamia.

"You know what? You're not needed anymore, Howard. And you should really calm down, Lily. We'll both get what we want if you watch your mouth." the black haired girl continued, as she undid all of her changes and returned to her normal appearance. In the meantime, a completely unfazed Howard left the scene non-chalantly. "Thanks, first year guy. And I won't tell anyone, don't worry! I'll see how long you can last." he laughed, his voice echoing through the corridor as he walked away.

Just like Lily's spell didn't had that big of an effect on Rin, though, Chloe's own tricks didn't affect Lily that much. She cried for help as the Lamia was still about to choke her, then finally smirked again as her friend let go of her. "Understood, understood! But can I at least get this guy's number? He's cute." she said with sweet eyes.

Chloe didn't need to say anything to stop the Succubus, however. As Lily pulled out her smartphone, it was Rin who had to inevitably let her down. "I... will pretend like nothing happened, alright. And... Lily, right? I'm sorry but... I don't have a phone." he clumsily admitted.

The two girls looked at him weird before bursting into laughter. "Ew, I thought better of you! What is this madness?" Lily mocked him as she took a photo of the Snowman, who was now pouting at her. And what else could he do? How was he supposed to get a new phone? And why would he need one anyways, other than for impressing this Lily girl? "You really need to get a phone yourself, I can't live without!" the blonde girl continued in the meantime.

"Lily, let's not waste any more time. We're on a mission, right? Let's just go to the dorms." Chloe chimed in, once again acting as the responsible one of the group. "And see you, freshman." she walked away with Lily beside her, gesturing the "I see you" sign towards Rin. The irony, right? He'd just pulled the same trick on Hael.

The white haired boy left the building soon after, the last thing he heard from the inside being a somewhat maniacally sounding chuckle from the two girls. He had a lot of things to process, and he would have had to do it by himself - but even if he couldn't speak of that weird conversation, his eyes spoke volumes.

Last edited:

Sapphire Rose

Years
  • DAY 4: Off to a rocky start.
    September 4th 2020, Friday, 4:12 PM

The weekend officially started after school today. A weekend full of fun and games and most anticipated by most students that really need to get some fresh air from outside the school. The rules are clear, you're not allowed to leave the Youkai Academy in your monster form. You have to be in human disguise. Even though the rules were clear, there was one student with a problem.

"What do you mean you can't go back to your human form?!" A girl yelled to her Neko friend that had her ears peaked out and her tail waving behind her. "I don't know, Lisa! I'm trying but I simply can't! Now I can't meet up with cute boys in town... This is a nightmare!" The Neko girl whined with her hands covering her face. She was stressed, that much was obvious from her tail that had gone poofy. Her golden fur seemed like silk and her sun kissed skin bathe in the sunlight that escaped from the windows of the school. "Snap out of it, Yara! We're gonna find a way to disguise you! Fortunately, you are a Neko. It should be easy enough to hide your tail and ears." Lisa tried to cheer up her friend. Her long black hair was curly and held back in a ribbon. "That's easy to say for you! You are a witch!" Yara kept going. By now they were attracting the attention of students and teachers around them. One particular teacher approached them.

"Evening, ladies. What seems to be the problem?" an elderly man towered over the two much shorter girls. It was intimidating and the girls immediately clasped their hands together, completely forgetting the problem they were so loudly discussing. "Mr. Trevorix!'' Lisa let out a screech. "You seem to be in great distress. What is the cause of this?" Marnix Trevorix, the economics and society teacher that had been assembled to their class as a homeroom teacher. However, he seemed far to scary for anyone to to approach him. He was usually the one doing the approaching and it somehow always ended up like this. "W-Well..." Yara begun. She took a deep breath and picked up all the courage she had left. Marnix raised an eyebrow and his fuzzy white moustache seemed to raise along with that piece of hair above his eyes.

"I was able to transform into a human during classes today but for some reason I can no longer turn back." Yara grabbed her tail and started stroking it. "I-I... I've been trying but to no avail... I really wanted to go to town this weekend, sir." She tried to show a smile but all she could do was lift the corners of her lips only a little before her sour face returned. "I see. Did something unusual happen before you noticed that you were no longer able to wear your human husk?" Marnix adjusted the cap he was wearing. "Well, a boy ran into her a little while ago. It's not really unusual but he seemed too young to be a student of this academy." Lisa mentioned. Yara eyes widened as she suddenly seemed to remember that happened. "Oh! Remember that story we heard about a Youkai that is able to show your true self?" Yara was distracted from her predicament and suddenly seemed all excited. "Oh oh! Weren't they really rare though? Wasn't it Mr. von Alter who told us?" Lisa joined the excitement of her friend. "Yes yes! And then Mrs. von Alter got all angry because he was derailing from the topic! She's SO adorable. Honestly."

"Girls." Marnix intervened them and regained their attention. "So a boy ran into you and since then you haven't been able to transform?" He repeated the Neko girl's explanation to get a good view of the situation. "T-That's correct." Both girls said in unison.

"Yara, I would like it if you'd stay at school for the weekend. We can't have you running around like this and possibly causing trouble for all of us. Lisa, please stay with her and monitor her condition." Marnix spoke to the two girls, his intimidating aura immediately coming back. Marnix then turned around and left while being in thought.

"I remember Ryuu talking about Kitaro but it couldn't possibly be. None of the students here are registered as one..." he whispered to himself. He could hear a faint "Aw man! But I really wanted to gooo!! I can't handle another week without a good party!" from the Neko girl.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Karma Arameia
    ???

"Yet another round of me being confronted by a creepy stick figure with a book, huh?" Karma walked from her room seemingly unfazed by her bizarre surroundings. As she did, she looked behind her, noticing that the loud knocking from her last visit had given rest. "Huh." She turned to face her elusive roommate only to realize that he was sitting in a different chair. One that didn't have its back facing her, and as such she could see the boy's face, which came as a shock as he even went as far as to brush the hair that had been hiding his features.

"You know," He closed his book and looked at her with a devilish smile. "If we're going to be seeing each other so often you could stand to be nicer.

"As far as seeing goes we pretty much both lost the lottery on that..." The boy chuckled at this and Karma thought for a moment before continuing, "...Well, until now. Hi."

"Name's Gavin. Kion Gavin, a pleasure."

"Karma Arameia," Karma responded, crossing her arms and resting against the wall next to her. "Though I'm sure you already know that. Why'd you suddenly decide to stop being so shy, anyways?"

Gavin shrugged. "It wasn't my choice, I only have so much freedom in here. Everything that happens in here is the result of your actions." He opened up his book again and started to read. Upside-down. "...That's what I'd thought, anyways." Karma raised an eyebrow. "Something else influenced the this time. Not sure what it was."

"Aren't they called like...Drowzee or something? Tapirs?" Karma asked. "I don't even know why anyone would have any interest in me or my dreams, I don't know anyone here."

Gavin looked up and thought for a moment. "I mean...people know you. You're kind of a bitch."

At this, Karma calmly walked over to the couch adjacent to Gavin and crossed her legs. "I wonder if punching people out hurts your knuckles as much in a dream as it does in real life," she said, studying her hand. Gavin chuckled and not-so-subtlely distanced himself from Karma.

"See what I mean?" He smirked, prompting a grimace from Karma. "Honestly I don't even really understand what you have against the people here, but-"

"They aren't people." Karma clenched her teeth out of immediate frustration.

"Yep, there it is. A few degrees hotter and you'd be spewing smoke from your ears. I've genuinely never seen this much self-loathing come from a single person-" Gavin caught himself. "Monster, sorry." Karma shot him a look of pure disgust but he ignored her as he studied his hand, "But as far as I'm concerned, I'm just as much a person as anyone else. You, too."

"You're not human?" Karma asked, setting herself back in place. Before Gavin could respond, however, a creak echoed from the staircase behind the mysterious boy. This put Karma on immediate alert, but Gavin seemed less surprised and more curious, as if he'd known it was going to happen without actually knowing what "it" was. However, as if it were timed exactly, Gavin's stroked the chair and sighed.

"Well I'd love to entertain our mysterious new roommate but that's all the time we've got for today, looks like. Same time tomorrow, then?" He smiled at her one last time before returning to his book, and as Karma opened her mouth to try to muster any sort of words to deal with her increasing confusion, the world went white.

Back