• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your country/state's local food delicacies~

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
  • Humans from all the world, killer has tons of food to promote from Ipoh, Malaysia!!!!!

Breakfast:

Nasi Lemak

Spoiler:

Rice cooked with santan ( coconut milk ), added with ikan billis (Millis Fish) , some groundnuts and egg. Very tasty and perfect for your breakfast!

Roti Canai

Spoiler:

This is Indian breakfast, like pizza, it is toss to become bigger and thinner, then put onto a frying pan. The crust is very crisp, added with some yummy bean curry or fish curry sauce. :)

海南面包 ( Hainan Bread )

Spoiler:

The bread is freshly made and toast under the charcoal fire or ordinary oven for mordern days. Added with some 加央 (kayang, or put a half boiled egg onto it. You really will like it.

Want Curry for your breakfast? No Problem!

Spoiler:

This is the best curry mee in Ipoh, 南州干咖喱面 - Nam Chau Dried Curry Mee , strong curry taste and very spicy duh!

How about coffee??????

yes, 怡保白咖啡 Ipoh White Coffee

Spoiler:

The famous Ipoh White Coffee from generations, strong coffee makes you satisfy with it, also with some creamy taste too! Either you want chill or hot it always still the best in Ipoh Kopitiam ( Coffee Shop )!!!!!

Lunch:

Well think that you want to eat some hot stuff?

How about this,

Nasi Ayam Merah

Spoiler:

Ipoh is the only place where this famous Indian curry chicken rice originated from. The chicken itself is fried well with spice, added with curry sauce, vegetables, salted egg. This is the awesome meal and you would need to take another bowl~

炒果条- Char Kuey Teow

Spoiler:

Chinese fried mee is the best around here. The fried mee is filled with smoky taste and does not greasy at all. Added with some prawns and cockles just make this mee even better!

Feel so extremely hot? ( Yeah it's 37 high here for few weeks )

Get Some Cendol lah!

Spoiler:

This Malaysia top favorite dessert is from a lump of ice, added with some beans, corns and coconut sugar aka Gula Melaka in Malay

It is sweet, cool and tasty!

I guess thats all from my intro about my local foods here!
    You're making me hungry D:

Some other dishes that I love include Laksa and Chicken Rice - especially the bean sprouts chicken served in Ipoh (it's a tourist trap but still, it's soooo good)

Very interesting really. The same dish can have many different variations across states. In Singapore, Laksa is served in a hot coconut-milk broth, while the one in Penang is infused in tamarind. Of course, the Sarawak version is my favourite. ;)

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • Tourist traps heh? Well the restaurant mainly for tourist dun have good quality food and expensive. Cormecials sucks, but yeah it helps for tourist industry around here.

That's why my dad always hunts for better food around Ipoh where it is not that famous.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Hmm, Singapore's local delicacies, huh? Probably the Hainanese chicken rice, laksa, bak kut teh, satay, rojak, bak chor mee (minced meat noodles), Singapore Hokkien Mee, ice kacang... and the list goes on. There's definitely more out there that I probably haven't heard of before xD

I personally like the Hainanese chicken rice, bak kut teh, and bak chor mee. There's loads of local food that I don't really take to especially because I have zero tolerance for spicy stuff, which is ubiquitous in this little red (red for chili hehe) dot.

What I would really want to try is French crepes. They look so divine and artistic.~

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I put in spoiler since pic might be too edgy for the kiddies.
    Spoiler:

So when people think of balut they are probably thinking of that Fear Factor crud that they see in TV. In our country, that is pretty much a common street food, usually sold during the evenings and I love it. I often eat these when there's no food or if I don't feel like eating any of the prepared food at home so I wait for our "Balut" guy to go walk around our town.

Hmmm boiled developing duck embyros. The technique to eating this is to simply not look at it way too much. But of course, Fear Factor contestants don't know about that do they?

then of course, it can also be cooked as a dish.

Spoiler:

Sizzling Balut. If a restaurant around has this on the menu, i often order it ASAP. I simply love this stuff.

As for delicacies in other countries/areas, I'd definitely want to try out some Bear meat. Also, in China, i heard some pretty interesting snake recipes that I'd want to try out.

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023

sonoran hotdog yo. just imagine a hotdog the size of a football with every condiment known to man on it. it's so choice

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • ^ That's probably the manliest hotdog I've ever seen.

Here's some Crocodile Sisig

I remember vacationing in the very region that not only cooks this stuff, but they also have legit and licensed crocodile farms. Palawan, an island province in the Philippines, is not only known for its really beautiful beaches, but is pretty known for its crocodile farms and the croc meat that people sell there, and this is one food that a lot of tourists visiting Palawan often try on their first or second dinner night. The great thing about Crocodile meat is that it tastes a lot like white meat, and its even healthier than most red meats are. Though the locals do say that cooking croc meat is actually quite a challenge for a novice cook as it is easily ruined.

Also, something a little more interesting, and much related to my family's father side provincial background as well: June Beetles

Spoiler:

above picture has these crazy buggers already dewinged.

The funny thing about these is that its something that people in our provincial area actually like eating with their beer, and its also served as an appetizer in some restaurants. During a long summer vacation, i had the opportunity to eat some of these beetles with my cousins where i ate a couple of them.

Years
  • Poutine! It's fries, gravy and mozzarella cheese, people say it sounds gross but it's really good :>
    Where I'm from specifically, there's Donairs

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016

sonoran hotdog yo. just imagine a hotdog the size of a football with every condiment known to man on it. it's so choice

How does a human eat that without dislocating their jaw? :O
    I still want.

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
  • The only food that I can think of is boudin balls. I absolutely love them with how crispy they are, the spicy taste, and the rice mixed along with some spices and some liver which you won't even notice by looks and even taste makes it so good.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • Poutine has been mentioned several times - and I personally find it disgusting. But I like my fries crispy, not soggy. :/

I'm not entirely sure if this counts, but: my local county has people from around the province that come during the summer to get our corn (Snyder's Corn). Personally after being used to eating their corn, I can not stand other corn. Obviously it's nothing fancy or a delicacy, but I would say it's the best corn I've ever had anywhere by far. :)

Back