• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Gym Battle strategies

Years
  • When I was playing Pokemon Black, I went to face Elesa and I was initially going to use a Krokorok against her... then decided to use my female Zebstrika, and guess what?

She defeated all of Elesa's Pokemon without taking major damage!

So, what are your strategies when it comes to certain Gyms?

Or, have you discovered new strategies to share with other users?

Well, this is where to discuss your Gym Battle strategies!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • So, what are your strategies when it comes to certain Gyms?: I don't have a particular strategy; I rely on speed and type advantage to take down the Gym Leaders.

Or, have you discovered new strategies to share with other users?: Some people may have done this during their battle against Elesa: have Dwebble set up Stealth Rock (after Sturdy activates) and watch as Elesa's Emolga KO themselves with Stealth Rock damage (and the damage from your own attacks).

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I usually use a Pokemon that has an advantage and that I know can do a good job. :3c In tight situations I'll start using random X items that I picked up to increase my stats. :> I'll usually start off with a stat reducing move on them. It's always helpful. lol

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Just type advantages, if available. My team is usually pretty balanced and learn moves so that they can counter everything in-game. My strategy is the same as any other trainer, just attack and hope they KO.

Sometimes, they use annoying healing moves when their Pokemon is down on health so for my strategy for that is to hit them with a slightly weak move, just so that they don't hit red, since I know it won't faint them, then use a stronger move so that I'm not wasting time hitting them when they just heal it back.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
  • I match up types and then use brute strength. I don't think any of my Pokemon has a STAT boosting move.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    So, what are your strategies when it comes to certain Gyms? I don't really have a strategy, I just take them down with the Pokemon I have, and it actually works.

None at all. :'3

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    Usually the gyms are easy enough to beat with just using type advantages. However, with the occasional really difficult pokemon, like Whitney's Miltank, I use a Geodude to blow up in their face. :laugh:

Last edited:

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • So, what are your strategies when it comes to certain Gyms?
    Well, I either just go for it with what I have, or I try to use type advantages or the same type against the gym.

Umm, just try to make great move combos and use some stat boosting moves at the right time. Also try to figure out if the opponents Pokemon is lower in the Defense area or the Special Defense area. Aim for the lower area with the attack that corresponds. Just keep using what your good at and what works for you. If it's not broke, don't fix it...

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
    Years
  • So, what are your strategies when it comes to certain Gyms?: Level up alot, choose the opponents weaknesses.

Or, have you discovered new strategies to share with other users? Level up alot, choose the opponents weaknesses :P

Sap Sipper

Terrified of Bad Luck.
    Years
  • Usually, I just level all my Pokémon until they're a couple of levels above the Leader's strongest, and then just spam super-effective moves. For some battles, though, I do do things like setting up Stealth Rock. This helped a lot for battling Elesa - her Emolga are annoying. Cute, but annoying.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'm a massive coward when it comes to stuff like this, so my main strategy is finding out as much stuff about the Gym Leader's team via things like Serebii and Bulbapedia. Armed with that knowledge, I train accordingly. For the most part, grinding my whole team up to the level of the Leader's strongest Pokemon is my best tactic: it seems to work, as Gym battles aren't normally massively hard or anything. So, yeah. Knowledge is power!

NinjaPawniard

Athos Porthos Aramis d'Artagna
    Years
  • I had no strategy, really. That was until the Icirrus Gym. I went in with a Pignite and came out with an Emboar. Yep! Emboar creamed everyone's pokémon, including Brycen's.

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
  • I guess I'm like everybody here.
    My main strategy for victory is to attack with the advantageous type, or a type that hits normally.

When I can, I like to use the Poison/confusion or sleeping, and raising my stats.
    How cool is that : three screeches, and a OHKO attack, even if it has not a great deal of power ^_^

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • I rely mostly on type advantage before a battle start, but when the actual battle starts, I say "meh" and push on bluntly through any team.

I trained an Ariados with Shadow Sneak for Morty, but Butterfree OHKO'd all the Pokemon in the gym.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Go in there absurdly overleveled, and type match if possible. If not, being 5-7 levels ahead is usually enough to win the day. Then again, my teams are usually diverse enough that I have at least a move that can type match each leader.

Exzessiva

~shy trainer with a shy Ralts~
    Years
  • I usually use a pokemon that has more HP in comparison to the opponent pokemon but if it has too much of a high HP, I select pokemons that has more HP reducing moves.
    And when I a cornered I just go on a rampage trying any moves just randomly. lol

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I usually use a Pokemon that has an advantage and that I know can do a good job. :3c In tight situations I'll start using random X items that I picked up to increase my stats. :> I'll usually start off with a stat reducing move on them. It's always helpful. lol

Hmm, I've never actually tried using the X items, are they worthwhile? :3

My strategy is basically the same as with any trainer, it just depends on which Pokemon I'm using. I don't go for type advantages but just whichever Pokemon on my team is weakest/hasn't battled in a while and I'll use that till it catches up the others, and then the next weakest comes out. It makes for a much more interesting game, especially in my current diamond game where it lead to Pachirisu single-handedly defeating Bertha in the elite 4. Super Fang & Grass knot ftw <3

Back