• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your least favorite main series Pokemon game?

atmmachine11

Jumping portals since 1997.
Years
  • I recently found out a decent sum of people had a detest for X and Y just like I did, and so it piqued my interest. I was wondering what everyone Else's least favorite main series Pokemon game was. I know everyone will have something different to say and contribute, and I would like to know all of your reasons why as well.

For me, it most definitely X and Y. I bought the game day of release (I didn't pre-order but they had copies for people who didn't) and it has had the least replay value out of any of the other Pokemon game's I own. There is absolutely nothing about it that makes me want to play through it again and I would like to share why I feel this way.

I absolutely hated the character designs of your rivals, the enemies, the gym leaders and at the end of the day, almost every single character design. I completely understand if other people really like these designs (if any of them) and I think the main reason I dislike the gym leader/elite four designs are because of how easy they were to defeat. With that being said, I would like to lead into another one of the major factors deterring me from this game. (For the record I own X) It was by far the easiest Pokemon game I have ever played. With exp share or not, it was simply way too easy. I understand they were trying to ease in new players, but there is such a thing as difficulty settings that they could have included, or at least making the elite four change there Pokemon when you rematch them. Limiting the gym leaders to only three Pokemon was really stupid in my opinion, and limiting the Elite Four to four Pokemon each was even dumber. I especially dislike how when you rematch the elite four, there Pokemon don't change or get any stronger at all. I honestly don't care too much about the number of new Pokemon, but when I first saw them, I disliked almost all of them meeting them for the first time. It took me three years to finally start to like any of the designs, and I'm not the kind of guy to dislike strange or unique designs and this is easy to see by fifth gen being one of my favorites. Another thing I really disliked about the game was the region itself. I hear a lot of people calling it beautiful etc, but I just can't see it. Nothing about it interests me. I loved exploring all of the previous games, but the landscape and scenery in X and Y did absolutely nothing from me. All of the cities and towns are so forgettable for me. I know I am griping on these games hard, but you need to note I am a long time Pokemon fan (ever since I was a few months old apparently) and I love the main series games up to this point. The thing is, I wanted to enjoy it, I really did, but at the end of the day I didn't. The easiness brought me to the point of dropping my party for entirely new weaker and lower leveled Pokemon to challenge the gym's and guess what? It was still super easy. There was also that huge odd gap between gym's 1 and 2 leading even more to your Pokemon being overpowered. Ah, I guess I'll end it with two more points. Team Flare is absolutely boring in my opinion, and nothing about them stands out. Let's get into my final and biggest dislike of the game (aside from its easiness which takes the cake) mega evolution. I absolutely hate mega evolution, and do not understand the appeal of it. Taking already powerful Pokemon and making them even more powerful make's no sense, and I find mega evolution takes a lot of the creativity out of competitive teams since now people will almost always smack a mega evolution on the team just because a lot of them have amazing stats. I think a lot of the mega evolution designs are god awful, and I don't think I will like them even with time. I know appearance is subjective, and I really am glad a lot of people like the designs, I wish I could too. I think mega evolution kind of brings a lot of the fun out of competitive play, and the main game since they make it even easier. Also, I find mega evolution is replacing regular evolutions for older Pokemon, and I am not okay with that.

With all of that being said, I do not hate the game's, they were just a huge disappointment for me, and my least favorite. I would probably give almost every other Pokemon game I have played a 9 or 10 out of 10 enjoyment wise, but this was the one game I would give something putrid like a 6.

I understand my opinions are harsh, and I would love to hear what main series games you disliked. Remember to understand that this is simply my opinion, and although it may be harsh, it is after all just an opinion and does not deter from the fact that you may enjoy the game or love it and that is okay.

Years
  • Having played through all the main series games again recently, the one I enjoyed the least was gen 1. Yeah I know there are tons of people wanting to kill me now but I say this for 2 reasons:

1: wrap. By far the most bullshit ability in the series. For those who never played gen 1 here's the low-down. Bind lasts 2-5 turns during which the opponrnt can't do anything. This means if you faster than your opponent and use Bind on them, it doesn't matter how strong they are, you will kill them. It was so broken.

2: Alakazam. There's a reason why they made Dark types in gen 2 and here's the reason. This pokemon was so broken it wasn't even funny. Why? Because in gen 1 speed was linked to crit. The higher a pokemon's speed, the higher their crit chance. So not only did Alakazam have insanely high special (boosting both special attack and special defense) but because he also had high speed, he could crit half the time too.

atmmachine11

Years
  • Having played through all the main series games again recently, the one I enjoyed the least was gen 1. Yeah I know there are tons of people wanting to kill me now but I say this for 2 reasons:

1: wrap. By far the most bull**** ability in the series. For those who never played gen 1 here's the low-down. Bind lasts 2-5 turns during which the opponrnt can't do anything. This means if you faster than your opponent and use Bind on them, it doesn't matter how strong they are, you will kill them. It was so broken.

2: Alakazam. There's a reason why they made Dark types in gen 2 and here's the reason. This pokemon was so broken it wasn't even funny. Why? Because in gen 1 speed was linked to crit. The higher a pokemon's speed, the higher their crit chance. So not only did Alakazam have insanely high special (boosting both special attack and special defense) but because he also had high speed, he could crit half the time too.

Heh, fair enough. I own blue I think? I used to own red as well but sold it to someone. I remember playing yellow as a kid as well. I don't quite remember the brokenness but I think that's just because I haven't played it since I was a kid. I can't imagine what Pokemon would be like right now if it was as broken as you describe though. I think I recently saw a video mentioning the most broken gen 1 Pokemon and Alakazam made the list for the reasons you explained.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I can never get sick of Emerald. My second Pokémon game I ever played, it was so much fun to hack back when I was into that and I still didn't think ORAS could top it.

atmmachine11

Years
  • I can never get sick of Emerald. My second Pokémon game I ever played, it was so much fun to hack back when I was into that and I still didn't think ORAS could top it.

You know, the game's I only ever played around with hacking were that line (Emerald, Sapphire and Ruby) and as a little kid, one of my favorite game's was Sapphire. I remember spending 800+ hours in it or something crazy like that (but I have other crazy amounts in other Pokemon game's I own) I had spent so many days playing it. That and Fire Red are two of my only Pokemon games where I trained more than one Pokemon to level 100.

Years
  • Just a heads up, but since this a discussion about the games rather than the series as a whole, I'm going to move this over to Pokemon Gaming Central for you.

As for myself, while I've never played them for more than 15 minutes, I'd give the title to Diamond and Pearl. I had a tough time making my way through Platinum (wasn't a big fan of the story or the characters), and it felt like a chore completing the game. Knowing that there's less content in D/P, and the fact the game played a lot slower than Platinum, I have doubts that I would've even finished them.

MOVED.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    Ruby or Sapphire. I'm not a big fan of the region or the antagonists. Having two gangs makes it feel like they were trying to diversify the versions a bit more but it was in a really lazy way. Whichever gang is the antagonist doesn't change much, it's so copypasta.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • For me, its the entirety of Gen V. They do good in what they do, but they always feel incomplete. Black and White had an amazing story set in a new region, but it had nothing to do when the story was done and Unova (in all 4 games) felt like a parody of America instead of a faithful regional adaptation like the others had been.

BW2 had amazing end-game but the game's lacked the great story narrative and compelling characters of the first games.

Ultimately, they felt like half-games, each.

Minun172

Still waiting for a new Mega Man game.
    Years
  • Pokemon Red and Blue... Just... bland and kinda boring. I don't like red's face, Gary is a loser, and Dark Type is the most broken type in the game. The music is decent though (But is better in Firered and Leafgreen).

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    Having played through all the main series games again recently, the one I enjoyed the least was gen 1. Yeah I know there are tons of people wanting to kill me now but I say this for 2 reasons:

1: wrap. By far the most bull**** ability in the series. For those who never played gen 1 here's the low-down. Bind lasts 2-5 turns during which the opponrnt can't do anything. This means if you faster than your opponent and use Bind on them, it doesn't matter how strong they are, you will kill them. It was so broken.

As much as I love those old games for their charm and for the wonderful memories I have for them, I can't disagree. They are seriously broken. Not only that but I heard Focus Energy literally does the opposite of what it's supposed to do and lowers the chance of a crit. Hilarious.

My Dragonite had Wrap and he wrecked :)

Years
  • I haven't played Gen 1 in a while, but I would assume I'd get the least enjoyment out of those games. Other than that Gen 6 is my least fave followed by Gen 3. So little to do in the end and it just felt boring to me halfway through.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I'd have to say my least favorite is RBY. I know they're classic and they're still absolutely amazing games, but when compared to all of the games that came after it, the various issues it has in terms of type/stat balancing, limited item storage (and key items taking up space in said storage), not being able to delete HM moves, etc. are all issues that are really difficult to look past.

If I had to choose another one though, it'd be Black & White. Again, still great games, but I've just never cared much for how linear and plot-heavy it feels.

Years
  • Like Sopheria, I wasn't a huge fan of 1st Gen either. I found Kanto to be a very bland region and while it was classic, it has had tons of flaws in regards to mechanics, broken moves, speed relating to crit ratio, and the unstoppable dominance of Psychic-types.

Another one I'd choose would mainly be Diamond & Pearl, but not Platinum. It's because D/P had a terrible Pokedex lineup (only two Fire-type lines, seriously?) and felt so slow, things that Platinum did fix up.

Years
  • Honestly. . .platinum, I think?

D/P was my first main series game since I'd played Fire Red, and Ruby, and I put like 100+ hours into it, but when platinum came around, I finished the main story in about 9 hours then never touched the game again. This might've just been me not having as much of an interest in the franchise at the time though.

Gen 5 caused me to fall out of interest from the franchise completely, as I didn't like the style of sprites the chose for the battles, or much of the new pokemon designs. I couldn't even finish B/W. Although I've been playing it again lately and It's actually become one of my favourite main series games.

atmmachine11

Years
  • Just a heads up, but since this a discussion about the games rather than the series as a whole, I'm going to move this over to Pokemon Gaming Central for you.

As for myself, while I've never played them for more than 15 minutes, I'd give the title to Diamond and Pearl. I had a tough time making my way through Platinum (wasn't a big fan of the story or the characters), and it felt like a chore completing the game. Knowing that there's less content in D/P, and the fact the game played a lot slower than Platinum, I have doubts that I would've even finished them.

MOVED.

Thank you for moving it for me Brendino, I had a feeling I might have put it in the wrong section. It's interesting to find a person who was not a huge of Diamond and Pearl, and I totally respect that.

Ruby or Sapphire. I'm not a big fan of the region or the antagonists. Having two gangs makes it feel like they were trying to diversify the versions a bit more but it was in a really lazy way. Whichever gang is the antagonist doesn't change much, it's so copypasta.

I actually share this opinion. Looking back on it, generation three overall (despite the huge amount of time I spent playing Sapphire as a kid) is sort of meh for me. If you are curious I think I spend upwards of 500+ hours on it as a kid.

For me, its the entirety of Gen V. They do good in what they do, but they always feel incomplete. Black and White had an amazing story set in a new region, but it had nothing to do when the story was done and Unova (in all 4 games) felt like a parody of America instead of a faithful regional adaptation like the others had been.

BW2 had amazing end-game but the game's lacked the great story narrative and compelling characters of the first games.

Ultimately, they felt like half-games, each.

I'm a huge fan of Black/White and Black 2/White 2, and gen 5 is one of my favorite generations out of all of them, but I totally understand the dislike of it. Ive met an abundance of people who dislike fifth gen. I'm Canadian, so I don't quite understand your feelings, but I'm glad you shared them with me. At least you got a game based on your country right? ( I doubt somewhere like Canada ever will :( )

Pokemon Red and Blue... Just... bland and kinda boring. I don't like red's face, Gary is a loser, and Dark Type is the most broken type in the game. The music is decent though (But is better in Firered and Leafgreen).

Dark types huh? If I recall those were introduced along with steel in gen 2. I think you meant Psychic, and if so I completely understand where you are coming from, especially Alakazam. I definitely prefer the remakes to the originals in that case. Fire red was a big portion of my child hood as well.

As much as I love those old games for their charm and for the wonderful memories I have for them, I can't disagree. They are seriously broken. Not only that but I heard Focus Energy literally does the opposite of what it's supposed to do and lowers the chance of a crit. Hilarious.

My Dragonite had Wrap and he wrecked
    Your least favorite main series Pokemon game?

lol, I did not know that about Focus Energy. I did however recently find out (which I'm sure you all already know) that both the special stats are combined in the original games.

I haven't played Gen 1 in a while, but I would assume I'd get the least enjoyment out of those games. Other than that Gen 6 is my least fave followed by Gen 3. So little to do in the end and it just felt boring to me halfway through.

Well, that means me and you have the same least favorites, since for me gen 3 follows after my dislike of gen 6. Nostalgia alone cannot make me enjoy gen 3 more than I do. I definitely agree with you on your points in regards to gen 6.

I'd have to say my least favorite is RBY. I know they're classic and they're still absolutely amazing games, but when compared to all of the games that came after it, the various issues it has in terms of type/stat balancing, limited item storage (and key items taking up space in said storage), not being able to delete HM moves, etc. are all issues that are really difficult to look past.

If I had to choose another one though, it'd be Black & White. Again, still great games, but I've just never cared much for how linear and plot-heavy it feels.

Wow, so savage. (Kidding don't hurt me) Black & White are my bae's though, so it's a shame a lot of people seem to dislike them. I guess I wish you people received the same enjoyment I did. Regardless, I completely understand how it may feel that way to you, especially how there is a lot of points in the game that focus heavily on story.

For main series games, I'd say my least favorites are Pearl and Black/White.

It seems most of the Pokemon fans have Black/White as there least favorites. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Like Sopheria, I wasn't a huge fan of 1st Gen either. I found Kanto to be a very bland region and while it was classic, it has had tons of flaws in regards to mechanics, broken moves, speed relating to crit ratio, and the unstoppable dominance of Psychic-types.

Another one I'd choose would mainly be Diamond & Pearl, but not Platinum. It's because D/P had a terrible Pokedex lineup (only two Fire-type lines, seriously?) and felt so slow, things that Platinum did fix up.

The Pokedex in Diamond and Pearl really did annoy me, since the elite four used Pokemon that weren't even there own type. I think I enjoyed most of the Pokemon games a lot more as a kid regardless.

Honestly. . .platinum, I think?

D/P was my first main series game since I'd played Fire Red, and Ruby, and I put like 100+ hours into it, but when platinum came around, I finished the main story in about 9 hours then never touched the game again. This might've just been me not having as much of an interest in the franchise at the time though.

Gen 5 caused me to fall out of interest from the franchise completely, as I didn't like the style of sprites the chose for the battles, or much of the new pokemon designs. I couldn't even finish B/W. Although I've been playing it again lately and It's actually become one of my favourite main series games.

I'm so glad it has become one of your favorites! Being a huge fan of Gen 5, it really saddens me to see so many people that dislike it and down right hate it sometimes. I for one love the sprites, especially that this was the point in the main games where they finally decided to make them constantly move, which let's be honest, should have been there since Diamond and Pearl. It's my favorite gen tied with 1 and 2, so of course I love most of the designs of the Pokemon in it. Again though, I understand why people dislike Gen 5, after all at the end of the day it's just personal preference.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    BW2 would be my first least favorite. They didn't quite feel like a sequel to me, as they were meant to be.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • Red/Blue/Yellow. It takes me forever to level grind and I never have much patience to do it. I'm always underleveled especially when I get to Cinnabar and because the trainers can't be rematched. Most of the sprites in Red/Blue are downright ugly. Some of the moves and statuses make battles annoying such as Wrap or sleep. They're the only games I've never managed to finish and I prefer FireRed/LeafGreen a lot more.

Soopa Derp Cat

You dank memester you
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    The only two Pokémon games I ever really played for any significant amount of time is Red.

Red frustrated me, and X was too easy. In Red, Misty swept me twice in a row; in X, I beat Diantha on my first try, and it was such a small deal that I actually had to look up her name because I had already forgotten who she was.

My main problem with Red was all of the grinding. Grinding is ALREADY a problem for me in standard RPGs, and since there's no EXP share and you can only ever have 1 Pokémon out at a time without switching (and thus wasting more time), you had to do about 6 times as much grinding as your normal RPG would require. I got bored of it before I could even assemble a proper team to beat Misty, and hey. I played through the entirety of Spore at least 4 times and then tried to do it a fifth without evolving at all during the creature stage. I am not easily bored by video games.

In X, I didn't have to grind. At all. I beat the Viola, fought all of the trainers along the way to the second gym, along with some (SOME) of the Pokémon I encountered along the way. By time I reached Grant, I was sufficiently leveled to beat him in one go. Repeat that process 6 more times. Then I reached the Elite Four. And beat them all in one go. Then I got to Diantha. Can you guess how many tries it took me to beat her? Yes, it was 1. The only Pokémon she had that gave me any trouble was her Gourgeist that kept turning my Pokémon into ghost types and using dark moves.

If I had to pick a worst, it would be Red. X just has a lot more strategic depth with natures, EV training, abilities and hold items. I know, few of the things that give it more depth were actually added in X itself, most are from gens 2 to 5, but I just enjoyed it more because of those things. If only I had actually needed to apply any deep strategies to beat it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I'm torn between Ruby/Sapphire and Black/White. R/S were a big letdown for me after GSC, and I had a really hard time with the lack of access to many of my favorite Pokemon until FRLG came out. I've enjoyed the games more since then, but since GSC marked the "high" of my Pokemon career in some ways, and the end of playing Pokemon with people I knew in real life (outside of one friend), I've always looked at R/S negatively for ruining that. I enjoyed Emerald a lot more, though, in part due to sending in some of my favorite Pokemon from gens I and II at level 5 to use in my playthrough, and in part due to the presence of the Battle Frontier, which I really liked. I've also enjoyed ORAS (though less than FRLG and HGSS), so I guess it's just the jarring gen II/III transition that caught me off-guard.

As for B/W, I liked them a lot at first, but after a while, I realized that I wasn't that fond of the gen V Pokemon, and as they were all I could use, it was a little disappointing. I also didn't like the EXP mechanics in gen V. They were great at first, but got old by the higher levels. I did like the plot of B/W, though.

Maybe I just don't like reboots. I don't send my Pokemon forward anymore (I don't like how it's one-way), but I do send eggs or freshly caught Pokemon forward, and I like being able to use any Pokemon I want from fairly early on (or at least, without having to wait for another game to release).

Back