• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your playstyle

Years
  • There are many strategies that can be used to construct a good Pokémon team. They are:

Hyper Offense:
    This is usually a team that either has a weather inducing lead or a lead that can set up Dual Screen (Light Screen and Reflect). Then, offensive sweepers are sent one after the other until the opponent's team cracks under pressure because their Pokémon can't take anymore hits.

Offense:
    A simple team built around setting up sweepers while removing their counters in order to destroy the opponent's team successfully. It consists of Life Orb sweepers with stat boosting moves and supporting Pokémon that lay down entry hazards and/or cause status problems such as poison or paralysis, thus making it easier for the sweepers to finish off the opponent easily.

Balanced:
    A more bulky style than offense, based more around countering offensive threats rather than using your own, using type synergy, and general bulk, and commonly bulky sweepers at the end of the game, this style of team relies on prediction and knowledge of the metagame. Finally, when their team is weakened, the bulky sweeper comes in to finish their team weakened from the residual damage you have racked up during the game.

Semi-stall:
    These kind of teams are usually a more bulky form of balanced, bordering on stall, but with a last minute sweeper. They commonly consist of one or two physical walls, a special wall (namely Chansey, Goodra, etc.), Pokémon to lay down numerous entry hazards, and then near the end the final team member is revealed when the opponent's team has no counters left for it.

Stall:
    The slowest, and arguably most reliable form of playing that involves laying down multiple entry hazards (Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Sticky Web), and then waiting for your opponent to die. Usually functions around walls, pseudo hazing moves (Whirlwind, Roar, Dragon Tail, etc), and resistances in order to be able to take hits from all kinds while waiting for your opponent's Pokémon to faint.

Which playstyle do you prefer?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Eh, never been entirely sure what my playstyle is, but its probably Offense or something between Offense and Balanced.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I find that I enjoy either a hyper-offensive or bulky-offense playstyle. It's more exciting that way and I just can't play a full stall. I don't know how to do it, let alone build a team around it.

However, I've been experimenting with a semi-stall grass team and it's actually working out extremely well.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I usually jump between semi-stall and balanced, as I them to be pretty successful. If your offensive Pokémon are down, you could immediately switch to your defensive ones and move forward. :] Sometimes, I also go for stall.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I think my play style is geared most towards hyper offense. However I recently saw a Riolu sweep that has inspired me to try other stall-related techniques.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    I've experimented with all of these styles, I found that I prefer semi-stall, leaning towards balanced too. Offensive may be a very effective way to battle, and completely necessary to win but sometimes it just feels too predictable. I like to switch things up a lot when it comes to battling. Full stall can get annoying as it usually takes a long time, but there's more thought put into the teams as opposed to just full on attacking and not taking the time to status or set up defenses. Hyper offensive is really useful as well, I sometimes go for this.

Years
  • It's been a while since I've made a team, but I usually go between balanced and semi-stall. I'm not great at actual stall but I love having a team that can just wall and set up hazards or status etc, and then come back and kick yo butt ;D

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • I prefer hyperoffense, especially now that Deoxys-S is allowed in OU. Stall teams are very annoying to fight if you don't have a pokemon with Defog/Rapid Spin that can reliably beat ghost-types.

Garison

The Grey Waves
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    I not sure what my style is. I just use all the eeveelutions ( exculding Espeon and Sylveon) because they can cover each other weaknesses. Example: example, leafeon/jolteon can cover Flareon's weakness to water and and flareon covers Leafeon's weakness to Bug types.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    My Personal playstyle is Bulky Offensive. Basically this consists of a Hazard Lead, and consist mostly of Bulky Pokes. Usually I max out their HP & best Attack Stat. This seems to work for me because I am not good at prediction & I like having confidence in my Pokes to be capable to take a hit and do atleast some damage. Honestly though, I'd probably recommend this playstyle to Rookies like myself, as its the easiest way to win/be effective/and to know what you're doing.

Evyl

t r a g i c
    Years
  • I'm guess I prefer offensive/balanced. I'm not very good with troll sets or bulky teams, though can I counter them pretty well, and at the very least see what's going on the other team.

Years
  • I tend to be an all-out offensive player, but there may be times where I may have to go defensive like if I need to set up an entry hazard, Substitute, status conditions etc. so yeah you could say I tend to switch playstyles to what's appropriate for the situation I'm in.

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    I do more of an offense, but I do put a defensive side to my strat in my Bronzong. I mainly do Doubles and Triples, and I always lead with Bronzong and either Mega Charizard Y or Garchomp, where Bronzong is there to set up screens and status effects and Charizard or Garchomp provide an annihilating offense.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • My playstyle is some type of median between Balanced and Semi-Stall. I like being able to counter threats and tank hits well. I enjoy using statuses like burn, as well as entry hazards(spikes, SR).

jordsta95

That guy with 6 Magikarps
    Years
  • I dunno what you would class mine as as it is a mix of stallers and attackers :P
    I have a Snorlax with Leftovers and after it has set up it's stockpiles it will take any hit.. and it has rest too, just to make sure it doesn't die.

But then I have Greninja and Scrafty who can take a hit or 2 max, but deal a hella lot of damage :P

Years
  • I'm still new to online battling, and all that it requires (team building, play style, IV/EV, etc.), but looking at the list I feel that balanced/sem-stall fits my style so far. I like to have a balanced team, and I like putting down hazards (mainly Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes). This style has carried over from my in-game style, so I can see it perhaps changing soon.

Back