• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Thoughts on Z-Moves?

smocks

fiat lux
Years
  • What's your Opinon on Z-Moves?

Some Questions :) :
    Did you use them throughout the game? How about competitive play?
    Do you prefer Z-Moves over Mega Evolution? Why or why not?
    Do you think Z-Moves are a plausible addition to the games? Why or why not?
    Did you enjoy Z-Moves? Why or why not?
    Do you wish for their return? Why or why not?
    What do you think of the future of Z-Moves? How do you think they'll be portrayed/introduced in the future generations?

I personally never used or felt the need to use Z-Moves throughout the game, I did just fine using my regular moves. I don't think Z-Moves topped Mega Evolution, having your stats increased drastically and an ability change definitely overrules a powerful move you can use only once imo.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I used Decidueye's special Z-Move sometimes during my playthrough of Moon. It's like....it's there, why not make use of it?

Competitively speaking, they haven't made a huge impact. Mostly you just occasionally see Z-Conversion on Porygon-Z or the occasional random use of one of the attacks (I use Electrium Z/Gigavolt Havoc on the Tapu Koko on my current OU team because reasons). There's still room to explore with them obviously--the meta's only like a month old--but it's likely they won't ever be as big a deal as Mega Evolution or certain good introductions like the Tapus or Toxapex, cuz y'know, one time only deal.

Wondering how they will work it into future games though....

Supersonic Skystrike is absolutely hilarious looking btw....Catastropika kinda is too

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Concept: Z Moves > Mega Evolutions
    Competitive: Mega Evolutions > Z Moves

I like that Z-moves can be used by every single Pokemon, no exception. But as a one time thing, you've got to make them count.

Mega Evolution is hurr durr free 100+ stat boost for rest of battle. Oh noes, I lose the ability to hold an item (and yet this hardly hinders them). With Z-moves, you have to consider whether losing Leftovers or Life Orb is worth it.

Years
    • EU
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    To be honest they don't seem anywhere near as relevant to Mega evolution. As stated above the stat differences for the rest of the battle far outweigh a 1 off move.

Also and this is just personal, I love the way most of the Mega's look. I know we got Alola forms but I mean I for one would like to see Mega
    Your Thoughts on Z-Moves?

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    I love Z moves, they are a lot of fun to use and give pretty much every pokemon a lot of new ways to be used. Unlike megas you are not forced to pick between X set of pokemon to use since pretty much all pokemon benefit from them in one way or another.
    They make the battles a lot more unique since you don't expect them, I use them all the time myself, there's always a Z crystal in my team!

I like them a million times better than megas, but I hardly ever used megas to begin with because I didn't really enjoy being forced to have X pokemon in my team so that's not saying much.
    I do hope they keep the Z moves in the next games just like they did with megas, since all pokemon can use them they don't even need to add new ones, they are great just as they are.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I love Z moves, they are a lot of fun to use and give pretty much every pokemon a lot of new ways to be used. Unlike megas you are not forced to pick between X set of pokemon to use since pretty much all pokemon benefit from them in one way or another.
    They make the battles a lot more unique since you don't expect them, I use them all the time myself, there's always a Z crystal in my team!

Fair point, that's pretty neat of GameFreak to give every Pokémon a little something :)

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Interestingly enough, I actually found myself using Z-Moves in Moon much more often then I had used Mega Evolutions in OR. I think it's because of the overall versatility of the Z-Moves. Mega Evolutions can only be used by specific pokemon and the general unbalance of Mega Evolution is the fact that only a select few pokemon may use them and sadly enough the pokemon who have access to Mega Evolutions are pokemon that are powerful enough with out them.

The Z-Moves have a considerable amount of balance to them simply because any pokemon no matter how big or small, powerful or weak, has access to these super powerful once per battle moves. The Z-Moves give less powerful pokemon that are often scoffed at, a chance to prove their worth.

When I play through pokemon games, I play with the pokemon I like the best, to put that into perspective, by the time I beat OR I had one Mega Evolution on my team and the likelihood of me triggering the Mega was only under very specific conditions. It wasn't because I was avoiding using Mega's, it's because out of my team of choice only one of them actually could Mega Evolve.
    By the end of playing through Moon, I had a team built exactly as I want with the pokemon I wanted and three out of my six pokemon have Z-Moves that I trigger in various different battles for specific reasons or just to get me out of tight spots.
    When it comes down to it, Z-Moves are simply more versatile and flexible then Mega Evolutions, they're obviously not as powerful as Mega Evolving, but as far as I'm convinced it's simply because Megas are broken and not well balanced.

Years
  • To me they are before anything else a more welcome addition than mega evolution. It feels like it makes a little more sense, partly because mega evolution was granted upon a select amount of pokémon which in some cases was rather misplaced. Z-moves on the other hand could not be more fairly distributed.

I used the moves quite often throughout the game, they are a nice addition to strategic battling. It has made some pokemon more viable such as my Lumineon. I didn't use them on all my pokemon though.

All in all, it was mostly just some kind of trump card, enabling me to win in battles that I would otherwise have lost. As such it often felt like the easy way out I guess. But I don't dislike it, especially in comparison to how much I hated mega evolution when it first came out.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen today
    I think I have more fun collecting the crystals then actually using them.

I hope they are not brought back in the future because I do prefer mega evolution over them.

Years
  • I personally do enjoy the Z-Moves since they have sometimes saved my life while up against really strong trainers. I also love how they are more inclusive in terms of who can use them as opposed to Mega Evolution which can only be used by a select few, and with the Pokedex entries revealing how dark Mega Evolution actually is, it's something that makes me feel Z-Moves are a more welcome addition to Pokemon.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • In-game, they are cool because of the animations.

Competitively, if you want a pokemon for the purpose of one-shotting another pokemon, Z-moves are pretty good for that. They are also good for resisting Knock Off.

Years
  • Z moves are awesome, I think I am liking them more than mega evolution. I never liked that in X/Y you had to wait for the post game to use the vast majority of mega stones, so collecting all the Z moves before the Elite 4 was a great change.

Years
  • they're really situational and need to be supported, similar to megas, but i honestly like them a lot. z-rain dance is really cool with manaphy, but i would like to say that z-moves are gonna take a long time to adapt to and properly learn how to use. i don't think anyone really knows their place in the game yet, either competitively or the best way to use it in battle during story mode etc. though that's just a testament to how versatile it is imo.

i'd still rather have more megas but z-moves are not that bad, or not as bad as i initially deemed them

MadHatter62

The Master of Sticks
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2017
    Tbh, I could take it or leave it. I haven't had the need to really use z-moves that often, 9 times out of 10 the only reason I used them was to check out the new z-crystal I obtained.

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2020
    I love Z-Moves! :D

Their move animation is tediously long but gameplay-wise it adds a great new dynamic. Didn't use them once during the story (for said reason :P) but they definitely add a more competitive environment compared with Mega Evolutions. Perhaps there are too many Z-Moves which creates a bit of a random factor and there are also some which may be a bit too powerful (Shattered Psych from Tapu Lele in terrain comes to mind), but they seem fun and not game breaking.

Years
  • I really like Z-Moves and I've used them throughout my playthrough of Moon, personally, I love how every Pokemon can use a Z-Move, it makes your team feel more special and doesn't just limit some super power to a few Pokemon - the way Mega Evolution does.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2017
    Z-moves are nice. I found it useful in the new Battle Royal to just get a quick OHK snipe.
    Also, as a fan of Gurren Lagann, I'm pretty found of Corkscrew Crash and Scattered Psyche.

Years
    • Age 42
    • Iowa
    • Seen Sep 30, 2021
    Z-Moves are nice and all, but i'd rather they get to be in the series ALONGSIDE Mega Evolution, which more pokemon need Mega EVOs in order to be competitively viable.

Back