• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game. Better than Ocarina of Time, and better than A Link to the Past.

seriously.

But the real question here is, what about Wind Waker? :3

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I've always been so fond of Wind Waker. I feel like there is so much play back value to that game. Furthermore, it was at a time when Nintendo took a HUGE gamble after promising a game that looked like Twilight Princess, and although there was some backlash at the time I think it ultimately payed off.

The only bad thing I can say about that game was the ending. Although the boss rush was semi-cool, I think they could have done better with the fight against Ganon. Puppet Gannon doesn't even come close to the sheer epicness that you had when you fought against him in OoT or Skull Kid with the moon crashing above you in Majora's Mask.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I actually found Wind Waker to be heavily flawed and tedious. Though I don't think that's an unpopular opinion (same for it being a very good game either), Wind Waker's reception has always been very mixed. It's a really polarizing game. It's either the best Zelda or the worst one.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    - I think the Gen I pokémon games are overexposed and other games need to be exposed. Why couldn't it be twitchplayspokemonpearl?

- Gen 5 is crap.

- Hating FPS's just because you haven't played them or they are overrated is stupid and you should feel bad

- Knack doesn't ♥♥♥♥ing deserve to outsell Super Mario 3D World. EVER.

- The next generation of consoles feels like the same old ♥♥♥♥ and don't feel like proper upgrades to their predecessors. At least the wii U is trying something remotely different.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    - Twilight Princess is the most underrated Zelda game

-FPS games are incredibly boring

- The industry as a whole...or at least the most visible elements of it...has been trying too hard to appeal to the proverbial lowest common denominator for years now.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    - I hated Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

- Compile Heart games aren't THAT bad. (they're still some glaring flaws though.)

- Final Fantasy VII is not the holy grail of gaming.

These are just some of my unpopular opinions. Of course, I have more but we can just leave at only a few.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They should discontinue their consoles altogether and just make games since they seem to be better at it.

This wouldn't work since Nintendo games generally use the unique gimmicks in their consoles. They would lose much of their gameplay potential by moving to a platform like Sony.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    - I think Final Fantasy XIII is great.

- Twilight Princess is definitely underrated. And the Gamecube version is better.

- Gamecube actually owns my heart, oops.

- The camera in Kingdom Hearts makes it unplayable and I hate it for that.

- A Link to the Past is not the best Zelda game.

- Mar is a terrible name.

- Jak II is awesome. Hard as hell, but awesome.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They should discontinue their consoles altogether and just make games since they seem to be better at it.

I can see your point, but Nintendo the fanbase would basically explode and the backlash would be so big there reputation would be tarnished so heavily that will make them in a worse position than they are currently. (Alsp, if you hate jrpg's, why are you on a forum about a jrpg? just wondering)

EDIT: Got some more opinions

- FPS titles are over saturating the market and there needs to be a good genre shift like there was from plat-formers to shooters

- Final Fantasy 7 was dull and confusing. Also, had stupid unnecessary cussing that really was annoying

- People need to stop acting like video game critics are saints and realise how ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ most of them really are

- Hating a certain genre of games because of there fanbases doesn't make you cool

Years
    Oh, God, here I go. I have a lot of these:

-Main-series Final Fantasy battling is boring, as it consists mostly of pouncing on your nearly-identical attacks as soon as the Active Time Battle system lets you. Although I do enjoy the stories, aesthetics, and adventuring, the Tactics games are far superior combat-wise.
    -Sonic 3 was the peak of the Genesis Sonic games. It lacked the awkward difficulty changes of Sonic 1 (seriously, Star Light Zone is way too easy and short, while Marble and Labyrinth are much harder), the somewhat bland and occasionally confusing level design of 2, and the fairly basic backgrounds and music of Sonic & Knuckles - and it's one of my top examples of a great platformer.
    -And Sonic Colors is my second favorite, eclipsing the rest of the Genesis titles.
    -Also, Shadow the Hedgehog is quite inventive and artistic. Unlike any other multiple-ending game I've played (including BioShock - which I do like for other reasons), it actually uses enough of them without making them feel repetitive. The gameplay works better than in any other fully 3D Sonic, and Shadow having guns seems trivial as several other characters had by that point and it makes sense given the game's themes and Sonic's objection to it. Ugh. Glad to get that out of the way.
    -There hasn't been a great Mario game since the original Galaxy. The multiplayer gimmick, while passable in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, makes for bland level design and very easy level completion in New Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario 3D World. And godd*mn, Nintendo seems to have forgotten that colors other than bright red, blue, green, and yellow exist.
    -Adding a clock to Majora's Mask destroyed the enjoyment I wanted to get out of the exploration.
    -EarthBound is boring and incoherent and consists, at least in the early game, of a huge amount of grinding and save scumming, even for a JRPG of that era.
    -Fighting games suck, in general. Except Super Smash Bros.
    -Speaking of Super Smash Bros., I find Project M to suck the fun out of the game. Likewise, I prefer Brawl to Melee, though I recognize the advantages of the latter for competitive play.
    -Soldier is not the best class in TF2. His weapons are slow to fire and slow to reload, and he moves pretty slowly when he's not heavily injured, at which point his speed is nigh-useless anyway. Scout and Demoman are better at the highest skill levels, and Heavy can wreck at any skill level if the player remembers to move around frequently to dispel Snipers (particularly with a Medic by his side), for example.
    -Loadout does not appear to be a worthy successor to TF2; its gameplay is a lot more generic and the weapon customization - which is supposed to replace classes, it seems - is superficial.
    -The Kirby series is pretty pedestrian in design, and its fluctuations between ridiculously easy and ridiculously hard are unsettling.
    -JRPGs > Western RPGs, BECAUSE of the low customization. Helps me get immersed better by preventing the general player tendency to create an extension of oneself and play it like a game.

*exhales deeply*

Last edited:

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
    (Also, if you hate jrpg's, why are you on a forum about a jrpg? just wondering)
    Well I'm personally on here because I like Pokemon, but am not a fan of any other JRPG. JRPG's usually use turn-based battle systems; attack using a menu where you select attacks, skills, items, etc. They don't focus as much (in general) on stat attribution and character creation, and are generally much more linear. While WRPG's, are more about character development and creation, mostly more open ended and usually have more lore to them. Now the way I have describe them may seem like I was only positive about WRPG's, but that is not true. That's just an honest difference in general between the two sub-genres and depending on preference you will most likely enjoy one over the other. I personally hate turn-based games. Semi-turned based games are okay where you select things, but things are constantly happening on the screen are okay, but other than that no. As I've said I like Pokemon, but that is my only exception. Unlike some RPG's that could be made real-time if wanted, Pokemon makes sense how it is. The system just works. I usually view it separate from other RPG's because it's unique. As far as stats and character creation go, I'm big on that so for other console/PC RPG games I usually only enjoy western ones.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    The only Pokemon games which I can call good are Fire Red and Leaf Green. All the games for the ds have terrible graphics and the fourth gen framerate was really annoying. XY has the worst designed region and story out of the entire series.

Most RTS games are more about reaction speed/clicks per second than actual strategy.

GTS doesn't live up Red Dead Redemption.

If you freak out for losing at Mario Kart or Party, you're beyond pathetic.

Flash games can be lot's better than your overhyped stuff. (doesn't matter if we're talking triple A or indie)

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    The only Pokemon games which I can call good are Fire Red and Leaf Green. All the games for the ds have terrible graphics and the fourth gen framerate was really annoying. XY has the worst designed region and story out of the entire series.

The one thing I hate about Fire Red and Leaf Green is that they teased me with my dream Pokemon game. They allowed you to go to another Pokemon region (i.e. part of Johto) or rather they combined Johto Pokemon with Kanto Pokemon. I'm still waiting for the game in which they put all the regions in the same game, so you can continue your journey from Kanto all the way to the current gen region when it comes out. It would be amazing and be WAY more fun when you get all the way to the last region and have Lv. 100 battles with it's region's Elite 4 Champion.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'd much rather they focus on making a very tightly designed region over just tossing all other regions into one game, especially when Kanto and Hoenn are the only region that don't downright bore me. Also, I thought Kanto in GSC was so gimped it wasn't fun to traverse it at all (the fact HG/SS didn't fix that is mindblowing...hell it didnt FIX any of GSC's problems) and I think it really hurt Johto as a region because of that. Utter shame.

Hell, might as well say, G/S/C are heavily flawed and far from the best Pokemon games.

Years
    As far as in the games themselves... I'm not exactly sure how you'd describe it. I mean, a majority of things I do can be considered unconventional in that I'm aware of competitive metas or casual tricks of the trade, but I still just kinda do my own thing and hope it works. Sometimes people think I don't try when I really am, I'm just trying to do it my own way, like, I will never look up a guide of how to do a build or what your timings should be, because to me, that's using someone else's idea. (plus my whole philosophy that what works for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone, yada yada)

Basically, you could say I'm like a turtle. It will take me time, time I don't mind spending, but eventually come up with something that's, for a lack of a better way of putting it, just mine.
    I can so relate. This is why I'm not interested in pursuing competitive Pokemon at the highest levels; I could take other players' strategies and do alright if I tried hard enough, but would there be any point to *me* playing, then? I wouldn't enjoy it, and I wouldn't advance the metagame at all (by giving onlookers new ideas).

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Thing about competitive Pokemon is that it's actually really unbalanced and annoyingly monotonous. You have to have a standard team to stand a chance, anything gimmicky has a very low chance of succeeding, and if it does, it becomes the standard. A LOT of teams in competitive Pokemon are just awfully similar in strategy and premise, and that's on top of the fact you're not rewarded for being smart or strategical, you're rewarded for knowing your facts and match ups. Also, if you're any good at prediction, you have an immediate advantage. :/ That's on top of other things like how match ups can end up being screwed up and annoying (wall vs wall...lol) or how you can pretty much win the game very early with no room for a come back.

Pokemon is very unbalanced competitively.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Thing about competitive Pokemon is that it's actually really unbalanced and annoyingly monotonous. You have to have a standard team to stand a chance, anything gimmicky has a very low chance of succeeding, and if it does, it becomes the standard. A LOT of teams in competitive Pokemon are just awfully similar in strategy and premise, and that's on top of the fact you're not rewarded for being smart or strategical, you're rewarded for knowing your facts and match ups. Also, if you're any good at prediction, you have an immediate advantage. :/ That's on top of other things like how match ups can end up being screwed up and annoying (wall vs wall...lol) or how you can pretty much win the game very early with no room for a come back.

Pokemon is very unbalanced competitively.

The problem is that Pokemon simply isn't made for strategic battles or competitive battles. Game Freak has never centered the gameplay around strategy. It's made a few steps in that direction, but its not nearly enough. As long as you are a high enough level and know your type match-ups, almost nothing can stand in your way, in-game. Game Freak also has made some poor or contradictory decisions regarding the metagame and balancing. The one that I find the most strange is that they pretty much introduced Fairies to balance out the overpowered Dragons (which were not really overpowered) by making a another type resist/be immune to Dragon, which was only resisted by Steel. But then they take away Steel's resistance to Ghost (and Dark), making Ghost basically the same as Dragon used to be (yeah Normal's immune to Ghost, but there aint a whole lotta good Normal types). Then there's also mega evolutions; good idea, but why stuff like Blaziken, Garchomp, and Scizor, that were already good, needed mega evolutions, IDK. And Game Freak trolls a few pokes on moves and abilities. Like not giving Rampardos Rock Head. Or not giving Black Kyurem a physical ice attack that isn't Freeze Shock. Or not giving Flareon Flare Blitz until this gen.

Then there's also these 2 sad little facts. The first is that not all Pokemon are created equal. I don't care how much you like Lumineon, its a terrible Pokemon for battles no matter what you do. So its difficult to win with a non-"standard" team. The second is simply the people that play Pokemon competitively. Spino, I know you love your strategizing, but very few people battle to test themselves or get a thrill out of devising clever strategies; they play to win. Most people, myself included, are not good strategists. You can't really expect good strategic battles outta them since that's the case.

But despite the inherent flaws in the metagame, I think that its really not THAT bad, and that the people who try to make it good have done a fairly good job considering what they have to work with. At least we no longer have to put up with 90% of teams being weather teams like last gen.
    I hope y'all don't mind this post, I just really felt the need to comment on that.

I guess I should throw in a few of my own unpopular opinions. Not entirely sure if these qualify as unpopular or not, but here we go:

-English voice acting is NOT bad, at least since 2001. It's very good most of the time. I don't understand why some people still say that the Japanese audio is superior; it's really not.

-I don't care for the side-scroller Mario platformers.

-The ATB system generally seen in the numbered Final Fantasy games is terrible, imo. Don't make me select commands from a menu, but have things go in real time without giving me the ability to move my characters around. Either go full turn based or full real time combat. Don't give me this hybrid ♥♥♥♥.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    The first is that not all Pokemon are created equal.

Pokemon social justice!

More thangs.

- I'll never understand the hype around FPS games. I'm not saying they're terrible, but I just don't understand them, and I think the market is over flooded with them.

- I'm mainly keeping my 360 around because of Viva Pinata. I think it's one of the biggest highlights, honestly. It's awesome, the pinatas are neat, and it's very relaxing. Try it!

- Not really an opinion, but more like confession. I've never played a DKC game, mainly because I know I'd be terrible at it. :(

Years
    FPS games in general, for same reasons as Syd.

I don't understand why those games are hyped so much, and I don't find them appealing to me at all.

Back