• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You're too old for Pokémon!

Years
  • I'm almost 23 and i was told im too old for pokemon when i was 8 by my own mother. It's hard to grow under old fashion hand. To be fair no one except my very close best friends know i like playing video games and I watched anime and read manga until i went to high school. Actually i know personally only 3 friends who live far away from me that are playing video games, watch or watched anime and like watching things on youtube. No one really knows i like this things cus society around me would treat me like a freak. Nerds or just people liking playing video games are worse treated than homosexuals in my homophobic country.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    My dad said pokemon are for kids, but being older and still loving pokemon I just ignore those words. never too old for things you like

Years
  • I've been told I'm too old by some people. Hell one of my friends when I first met him thought it was strange of me to like pokemon because he thought it was for girls. But once he started hanging out with me he realized it was for everybody. I never really care what people say and I don't hide my love for pokemon or anything. I have been playing since red and blue came out when I was 7 years old, and now I'm almost 25. I hate how people think growing up means you have to have more problems and less fun. I know too many people like that and think they are more of an adult because they have more things to worry about.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Once my friend asked if i was too old for pokemon

no one ever saw him again xD
    Alright i basically countered by asking if he was to old for Teen Titans Go and that was the end of it :3

Gotta say not many people have told me that before.

Years
  • My mother actually thinks I'm too old for Pokemon, and I still have to get Sun & Moon this Christmas so I can catch up to the others. I have a fear of her embarrassing me though so you can see why.

Guest123_x1

I've probably been told "don't you think maybe you're too old for Pok?mon" at least once, most likely by my mother. Of course, I ignore these kind of claims, even if I did mostly get out of the franchise's main games for several years...

Lapis

✿ Flower Child ✿
    Years
  • I have been told this a lot. My response is usually me not paying attention or changing the subject. More often than not, people think my love for Pokemon is pretty rad though. Lol.

Life

[FONT="Poiret One"][color=#aaaaaa]Perception of Re
    Years
  • I'm fortunate enough to have friends that still play Pokemon so I'm really happy that I've never heard this.

Shamol

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
    Years
  • People who tell you you're too old for pokemon were almost invariably huge pokefans back in their middle school days but then became Chads when they couldn't find the shiny Charizard card.

More seriously, however, I submit not only are we not too old for pokemon, but in fact late teens to twenties is the perfect age to play pokemon. A huge part of the fanbase is drawn to pokemon because of nostalgia. Nostalgia is a psychological trigger to happy, simple, positive things- and pokemon fits this description perfectly. It has just the right balance of being challenging on one hand, and yet having a very happy-go-lucky, laid-back world on the other. The age group I defined usually has it difficult due to their first real exposure to the world, be it because of school, job, lack thereof, depression, whatever else. These are the people that needs the nostalgia trigger of pokemon the most.

Finally, I leave you with this quote from C. S. Lewis:

When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2020
    Most people that know me know that I have enough adult hobbies and activities that they wouldn't question my maturity over something as simple as Pokemon. If people in that category know me then I simply reply "its relaxing" and they leave me alone cause they know I need some relaxation in my life. On the occasion that people outside of that circle interject themselves into my life with a comment like that I say, "When I deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan we played with a lot of sand. Was I to old for that?".

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • Now thanks to Pokemon Go, no one is too old for Pokemon. Pokemon is mainstream cool again for at least the next couple of months.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Now thanks to Pokemon Go, no one is too old for Pokemon. Pokemon is mainstream cool again for at least the next couple of months.
    It does almost work out like that yeah :p

Now when someone asks if I'm too old for Pokémon or seems me playing Rumble / ORAS, I derail the conversation to some stuff about psychology and sociology while furtively hacking their Android in the meanwhile to install Go. Then, I ask them back "what about you? Aren't YOU playing Pokémon too? And you have a Gardevoir background, even." ^.^

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2016
    Pokemon go had allowed me to dig my out cards out and feel like a child again. It's so nostalgic!!

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I've only been told this a handful of times. Though I do hear it really often with my other friends. I think the aspect of Pokemon has changed a lot since generation one (when I started). With the addition of multiple, more dare I say serious, aspects makes it enjoyable for the older players. I think the things other people see, which is mainly the main story/pokedex completion advertised. While the competitive side really doesn't get any mainstream attention.

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2016
    I don't think it is possible to be to old for it. I just ignore it when people say things like that.

basisPx

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2016
    everyday I'm told that i'm too old. and those people are my parents (

Years
  • I've never bumbed into this problem actually. In high school I used to play pokemon (I was around 17-18 at the time) and actually few of my friends played too (we raced to complete FireRed with one friend :D). Never really gave a shit what other people might be thinking if I play pokemon.

Now I'm 21 and my dad laughed a bit that you're an adult running after pokemon and I was just yeah so? :D I don't think there's age limit on what games you play (yeah some games tend to be more childish than others, but so what)

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • At present, I didn't get told by anyone that I'm too old for Pokémon, including my parents, even though probably they used to in the past. Nowadays they've been supportive on most Pokémon games except for GO, and probably understand why I wanted to play Pokémon (in fact, they helped me to buy Alpha Sapphire back then), but still, sometimes I'm not sure of telling almost anybody about being a fan of Pokémon for worrying of getting that question alone.

Last edited:

MorganW

That Kid You Don't Like
    Years
  • I've never really been made fun of for liking Pokemon especially since I don't talk about it in public as I don't have a friend IRL that likes Pokemon as much as I do but I know that people do say stuff like that. I find it really stupid. Sure you can have your opinions on something but you shouldn't be rude about it or diss someone for what they like.

I was watching a pokemon versus series once and I remember one of them mentioning this topic and saying how there are a bunch of 12 year olds playing COD and tons of adults playing Pokemon which when you think of it is very true and quite ironic in some ways.

The way I see it is as long as your not ruining someone else's life you can live yours however you want no matter how old you are. For all I care you could be a 40 year old man who cos plays as Dora The Explorer but as long as you leave me out of it we can be friends even though it would be pretty weird for a 13 year old boy to be friends with a 40 year old man... but I'm sure you get the point.

Back