• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Z-Moves are here!

Years
  • You know, I'm happy enough that synchro evolution isn't in this game (well, hopefully not), because this Ash-Greninja stuff sounds really cheesy...

I agree. Ash Greninja would have been cool to see in the game but considering Z-Moves don't involve a transformation I'd prefer it stays an anime thing, and Synchro would have caused a huge divide in the fandom as well.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Why do you think they're called Z moves though? I thought we moved on from letters? Maybe Zygarde has something to do with why they're possible in the first place?

I hope that they're more commonly used by other trainers instead of the protagonists because special. Instead of like how Mega Evolution was for a few special people only in the beginning.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    However , There is a problem with Z-move !
    A Pokemon will force to keep a Move to use Z-move.
    For Example , Rowlet has to keep "Grass Knot" in order to use "Boom Doom" Once per battle even if I want him to learn another move.
    That will be a pain in the ass .
    Off Course , Pokemon can learn 5 attack in Pokemon S/M but I don't know if the 5th attack in only for Z-move.
    If I'm force to "Grass Knot" then I rather refer Grass knot to transform into "Boom Doom" when I use my Z-move.
    Instate of wasting 2 spot for "Grass Knot" and "Boom Doom"

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I think they mean like, if you want Raichu to keep the Poison Z-move, you'd have to keep Toxic on it instead of maybe another useful move, because maybe Toxic is the only Poison-type move it knows (Idk I didn't look it up). Kind of a bad example to use Grass Knot on a Grass-type Pokemon that has way more better options, but yeah.

Years
  • Ok that makes sense then, though IMO I don't really see this as a downside to Z-moves in particular; I'd prefer to have Z-moves that are the same type as the Pokemon itself, if that makes any sense? I can see why you would, say, slap a Ghost-type Z-move on a Psychic-type Pokemon (according to Serebii's take here, it doesn't seem like the Pokemon itself has to be the same type as the Z-Crystal) for coverage reasons, but...eh.

I can definitely understand how you feel here, since I feel Z-Moves that match up with the Pokemon's type (such as use Gigavolt Havoc on Pikachu) are in my opinion the most efficient way to use the feature. The thing to know is how the feature will be used from a competitive standpoint, since it appears Pokemon don't have to be limited to using a Z-Move that is of their own typing.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I love how you do a pose before these attacks, probably not a Jojo reference, but I'd like to believe it is. I am never going to not scream SUNLIGHT YELLOW OVEEERDRIIIVE when I use Inferno Overdrive.

Years
  • Hey guys, are there more information about these moves beside just that they require items and key items like mega evolutions and the move depend on the stone type?

Like are these moves outside of a standard moveset? Do these moves ignore immunity (like dragon z type move bypass fairy immunity)? Are they like 200+ bp moves or are they infinite damage like ohko?

Personally I would love to see my water/ice and pure ice types to have absolute zero/sheer cold as a z-move (i just love the move because absolute zero would cause nothingness to collapse, really befits a no damage cap, undefined/infinte damage move) so I can use more viable movesets for the other four to remain really strong. And if it bypass type immunity and abilities that would be great.

I am just wondering since its like a burst move and only used once per battle, it has be worth while (even more so if the pokemon can mega evolve as well i.e. has the ability to mega evolve, so either be able to burst attack with z-move or can't do that but change into a mega form)

Years
  • Hey guys, are there more information about these moves beside just that they require items and key items like mega evolutions and the move depend on the stone type?

Like are these moves outside of a standard moveset? Do these moves ignore immunity (like dragon z type move bypass fairy immunity)? Are they like 200+ bp moves or are they infinite damage like ohko?

Personally I would love to see my water/ice and pure ice types to have absolute zero/sheer cold as a z-move (i just love the move because absolute zero would cause nothingness to collapse, really befits a no damage cap, undefined/infinte damage move) so I can use more viable movesets for the other four to remain really strong. And if it bypass type immunity and abilities that would be great.

I am just wondering since its like a burst move and only used once per battle, it has be worth while (even more so if the pokemon can mega evolve as well i.e. has the ability to mega evolve, so either be able to burst attack with z-move or can't do that but change into a mega form)

I believe the Z-Moves will take type matchups into account, but since Z-Crystals are confirmed to be held items (at least I remember so) you can't hold both a Mega Stone and a Z-Crystal at the same time, so that will be something to heavily consider in competitive.

Also, we don't know much about Z-Moves at the moment but we may get more information at a later stage, if not after the games are released.

Years
  • Nope, no further news have been revealed other than how to get them to trigger. :<

I'm thinking more information about Z-moves may be revealed sometime later.

I believe the Z-Moves will take type matchups into account, but since Z-Crystals are confirmed to be held items (at least I remember so) you can't hold both a Mega Stone and a Z-Crystal at the same time, so that will be something to heavily consider in competitive.

Also, we don't know much about Z-Moves at the moment but we may get more information at a later stage, if not after the games are released.

Thanks for the swift replies guys!!!

Sun and Moon hype =D

Years
  • Bumping this since we get our first appearance of the Normal-type Z-Move at Gamescom. We were shown Battle Royal footage where Shigeki Morimoto and three guests from Nintendo of Europe showcase the feature by battling (Morimoto was the yellow corner, and he used Pikachu and Rockruff) and he got Pikachu to use the aforementioned Normal-type Z-Move, which has the German name Hyper Sprintangriff which translates to Hyper Sprint Attack.

The move's animation involves the Pokemon charging at high speed towards the opponent, and it does confirm the white Z-Crystal with the circle symbol on it does indeed belong to Normal-type, which I speculated to be such when I was analyzing the type symbols on the Z-Crystals for the real-life Z-Ring accessory.

And if one's wondering who won in the end, it was Morimoto.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Spoiler:

I'm surprised I haven't seen this before, but I love how the fighting-type Z move looks! It's like a badass upgraded Close Combat.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I think that I'm the only one that consider Z-movies just un-needed and an extended version of the 5th star attacks that took place in ORAS contests..

Years
  • Spoiler:

I'm surprised I haven't seen this before, but I love how the fighting-type Z move looks! It's like a badass upgraded Close Combat.

Is it me or did I expect the Fighting-type Z-Move to be nothing but a barrage of fists?

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Spoiler:

I think it'd look better if the Pokémon using it wasn't just standing there the entire time...

But other than that, it does look pretty cool.

Is it me or did I expect the Fighting-type Z-Move to be nothing but a barrage of fists?
    Hey! There are a couple of fists there as well.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Is the footage final? Maybe they just wanted to show the actual animation, but yeah, I agree.

Dunno what I was expecting though, for a Fighting-type Z move. A barrage of fists and kicks seems fitting enough for me.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I kind of wanted the fighting type move to be one giantic fist as sort of a One Punch Man move, but I guess this works cause it's kind of like the Ora Ora Ora from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I think it's cool, but still one of the more underwhelming ones we've gotten.

I love the concept of Z-Moves, especially since they have over the top Attack Names, I can't wait to shout them at my friends when we battle. INFERNO SUNLIGHT YELLOW OVERDRIVE!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • You'll probably have to choose between Z-Move and Mega Evolution.

I don't really understand the purpose of this, because most Pokémon are so flimsy they die to unboosted powerful moves already. I like the concept in other series, but Pokémon has the restraint of one monster on the field, so Z-Move might be more useful in doubles or triples.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • I agree with clbgolden in that it would've been better if Lucario had actually been moving and wouldnt be standing there awkwardly while the attack initiated. Idk why Game Freak decided that. :s

OMG I'm so glad someone noticed that XD Jesus I thought I was the only one who found that really awkward xD Anyway, let's hope other Z-move animations turn out better ^^

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
  • My friend has been talking with somebody fluent in Japanese, and apparently the Japanese Pokemon fandom really hates Z-Moves. Apparently they think it's a rip off of Yo-kai Watch.

It's so bad that, according to them, typing in "Z-moves" in Japanese (Zワザ) in Google has autocomplete finish it with "are uncool", "tacky", or "lame"

Whether you agree or disagree, I have to say, all the DBZ-isms in Pokemon are getting weird.

Back