• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dental/Medical horror stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    Got any?

Share them if you want.

Edit:
    I should clarify. I'm referring to actual occurrences, not fictional stories. If you don't have any, you can tell us about something that happened to a friend or family member. {:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I went to a dentist for about three years quite a while ago, I never had cavities with them and was pretty happy that they seemed to clean my teeth fast.

So, our insurance changed and we had to switch dentists. Went to the new dentist, found out that I had four cavities and needed two crowns when I had been to the previous dentist like six months prior to that. Turns out the old dentist was a sham who pretty much fell off the radar a few months after that, and refused to give up our dental records. Apparently their 'super great fast cleaning' was just super lazy slacker cleaning. I got pretty paranoid after that and ended up buying my own dental tools to clean my teeth every other month between visits, lol. My current dentist got my teeth all fixed up though, and I haven't had any problems since then. :D

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Oh gosh.. I'm so afraid of dentists doing a proper teeth because adult teeth don't grow back if ruined!

Anyway, when I got one of my wisdom teeth out, the swelling was so bad I couldn't close my mouth (shut my teeth together) and the stitches would rip if I tried to open my teeth apart so I had lock jaw for a week and I was taking Tylenol 2/3s and anti-inflammatory and even that hardcore stuff wasn't making the pain go away.
    (They had to drill the bone to get it out properly because it was growing on an angle.. worst experience ever...) ._.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • During my freshman year of high school I had one of my teeth knocked out with an umbrella. An extendable one, to be specific. My friend tried to hit me in the shoulder with it but caught my mouth and it knocked my tooth out. It costs $4200 to permanently fix so I've been going without it.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • When I was in 7th grade I had a Herbst appliance installed into my mouth, which is something I don't suggest ever doing to your child. Braces are bad enough. It's kind of like huge metal bars connecting the top/bottom of your mouth, I recommend googling some images if you've never seen a Herbst appliance. It's gross.

Anyways, I wasn't able to eat any solids during the 2 weeks I had it. Nothing. Eventually the piston like things got stuck so my mouth was stuck wide open. It was like this for a few days because my orthodontist was on vacation so we couldn't get an emergency appointment. The stupid thing also made me constantly bleed because its a huge metal thing stuck to the inside of your mouth.

It was an incredibly horrible experience, I couldn't imagine having it for years like some people have. I was extremely angry about the whole thing, and I refused to have any other orthodontic devices forced upon me (I had no say in whether or not I got this stupid thing).

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    Hmm.
    Well, I had an incompetent dentist rip out two teeth when I was six or so years old. He just used nitrous oxide ('laughing gas') and of course numbed it. But he didn't know what he was doing and didn't wait long enough. I felt everything and was completely awake while it was happening. I can't remember anything after getting to the car (I was too out of it to even walk to the car, because the nitrous oxide had just kicked in as we were leaving). That sucked and apparently gave me a fear of dentists for years. I don't care anymore, though.

I can't at all remember this one, but I apparently had some of the skin on my stomach burned off with chemicals. Fun, right? Up until I was around four years old, I was stuck with a feeding tube because of medical issues, so it was because of that.

Then of course there's a mass amount of stuff that happened to me when I was too young to understand it. I was born several months early (I would have otherwise died along with my mother) and there was a decent chance that I'd end up mentally retarded (is that the correct term?) because of it. Apparently I'm not, though. But I'm told that my liver didn't work properly, I couldn't eat or breathe on my own, and I had sleep apnea.

Years
  • Ah yes, back in my final years of primary school there was one night where I was getting up and going out of my room to have dinner only to slice my forehead on the door. Blood was spurting everywhere and if I hadn't have been rushed to hospital for a massive stitching operation I would have died.

But I didn't die, I survived the procedure and that's why I'm still here, and that's a good thing. I now have a massive scar where the cut was. It was probably the scariest and most horrific injury I ever had so I'm glad I haven't had worse injuries.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • When I was in Primary school/Grade school I do not really remember but I was told I climbed a tree and fell off it. my eye was bleeding so I was rushed to hospital to have an op on it. I still have problems with that Eye today.

Years
  • I had all of my wisdom teeth removed at the same time. The bleeding didn't completely stop for two days and I was miserable, but that doesn't compare to the time I had a doctor prescribe some acne medicine. It was a capsule type. Turns out it didn't do much of anything for my acne, but it did a heck of a lot for my esophagus, that is, eating away at the lining of it. Seems that's one of the possible side-effects of the medicine the doctor hadn't mentioned.

Aura Vitae

Down, Sword Hand!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2019
    I don't remember any medical horrors that may or may not have happened to me but I do remember something that happened to my older sister after she was born as told to me by my older brother. Apparently she started choking and turning blue after being fed some milk, she's allergic to milk by the way, and had to helicoptered to some other hospital. I specifically remember she had to take breathing treatments long through her childhood afterwards.

As for Dentists I'm afraid of ever having my wisdom teeth pulled.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • My old dentist filled a cavity that I had (possibly due to his shoddy job at actually cleaning my teeth), and he completely screwed it up. He refused to numb me for it, saying that it "wasn't that deep" even though I could barely chew with that side of my mouth due to how deep it was. Before drilling, he told me that I would just feel "a bit of pressure" (which is dentist for "unbearable agony". Even when I raised my hand and told him that it hurt, I still didn't get novacaine.

So fast forward 6 months later, my family luckily gets a new dentist. I go there for a cleaning, and apparently the tooth was filled poorly and it must be re-filled. To add to that misery, it turns out that the drilling was done so half-assedly that I needed even more of that tooth drilled out. Luckily, this dentist numbed me for the procedure, but it was still unpleasant.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    Id say the worst thing that happened was passing out probably due to Hypoglycemia/low blood sugar during class in 11th grade.A rumor has spread around school that I had gotten a seizure too but that part wasnt true.The year after, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes after going to a routine physical and having a very high blood sugar when they checked it( around 5-600 I believe).

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Mm, I guess the only thing that would quality as a "horror story" (and even then, it wasn't that bad) was when I had a laparoscopy, which is a pretty minor surgery. My doctor sent me home afterwards and told me to call her if the pain didn't diminish a little bit everyday and if it was still at all painful after a week, to come in and see her. The pain wasn't bugging me much but it was still there after the week was up so I went to the Emergency Room like she told me. I was under the assumption she'd be called down right away but she was busy or something that morning so I was stuck there for quite a while. They did some tests (X-rays, ultrasounds, blood test, etc.) to figure out what was wrong.

The problem with the blood test was the nurse who administered the first one wasn't very good at it--I have really small veins so it can be hard to see them, let alone hit them with a needle. So she tries to take blood and messes up somehow and I end up with blood outright streaming down my arm. My dad, who took me to the hospital, doesn't do well with blood and I should have told him to leave the room but I was nervous since I'd never really been in an ER before and it was just a small blood test right? Well, as soon as he saw the blood going down my arm he passes out and ends up getting admitted to the ER himself. I don't do well with my own blood so I was already pretty queasy and I have to admit that didn't help my nerves. To make matters worse, apparently she did it so wrong that the sample wasn't viable and another nurse had to draw blood later in the day, although this one did a great job. Honestly the worst part about getting blood drawn was the fact that I had to keep the tip of the needle in so that an IV could be hooked up later if I needed it. So I couldn't bend my arm at all for the whole ~8 hours I was stuck there before I was able to see my doctor and get the tests I needed.

So yeah, waited many hours. It was the day after Obama had first been named winner of the Election in 2008 so the only thing on the news screens was his speech over and over and over (which I'd stayed up to watch the night before so I'd already seen it) and scrolling across the ticker at the bottom every so often was the news that my favourite author (Michael Crichton) had died. So I couldn't really watch TV because it was really boring and kind of depressing. XD; I have a rule about not touching ANY reading materials in waiting rooms because they're horribly germ-ridden, so I had literally nothing to do all day. I couldn't eat and I also couldn't take any of my painkillers which I didn't desperately need but it meant I had to sit there in relative pain all day too. Honestly, the wait was probably the worst part.

Finally I get the news that due to complications in closing me back up the week prior, I had a hernia! My doctor was able to get the fix classified as an emergency surgery so I was slated in that night and they started me on a small morphine drip until it was time (so I finally got to use that previously useless needle head taped in my arm) so the pain wouldn't bug me. The surgery itself went alright but the moment I came to, I was in the most horrifying pain of my entire life. I vaguely remember my doctor approving morphine and then I think she went home for the night because by then it was after midnight. Problem is, apparently I'm kind of allergic to morphine or something? I hadn't had any problems with the drip earlier but when the dose was much higher, it did NOTHING for my pain and made me itchy all over. To make matters worse, the nurse in charge of my ward thought I was faking it or something? Everything from that night is kind of a blur but my mom said she'd never been so furious with anyone in her life because the nurse outright refused to go find a doctor who could prescribe me something else and didn't have the authority to switch medications herself. She apparently even said it looked like I was faking it??? I have a very, very high pain tolerance and when I did eventually see my doctor again she was kind of aghast that I could even BE in that much pain because apparently if I felt the original pain from the hernia almost wasn't worth getting checked out, she couldn't imagine what I was feeling after the surgery. <_<;;

But yeah, eventually got my regular pain medication for the time which worked wonders (probably partially mentally-perceived because I associated percocet with pain relief at the time and the rest of the relief from the actual pain drop... I'll admit that) and I was discharged at about 2:30am after I could show I was walking around. I didn't want to stay overnight so mom drove me home with a quick stop at a 24 hour pharmacy to pick up medication. Had to stay off from work for another few weeks after that and I don't remember the month after that at ALL (seriously, I have no idea what happened the month of November 2008) but that one day was definitely the worst day of my life. Still, could've been much worse so I'm thankful I live where I do (so we didn't pay a cent besides later prescriptions, iirc).

(Oh! And then I got home to discover that the hot chocolate my mom had put in a thermos for me a few days prior that I forgot about had exploded out of the thermos all over my room somehow?? So when I got home and all I wanted to do was sleep, my room smelled like mouldy hot chocolate and we had to clean it up. OTL)

Sorry, that was a lot more long-winded than I intended. :P

rodai

I like rusty spoons
    Years
  • No medical traumas have happened to me (thank god) but when my dog was a puppy her new set of teeth were coming in, but some teeth from the old set were still there. We had to pay like $1000 for surgery to remove the baby teeth (very common for small breeds.) Afterwards the doctor suggested we take her to a veterinary dentist to get her teeth bonded! Isn't that crazy? Sorry thats all I can think of for now...

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • Ok this one just happened a few months ago. See in the military a soldier is undeployable when he/she even has 1 cavity. You have to have perfect medical and dental health in order to be deployed and since being deployed is the whole purpose of the job you can see why one's unit would do whatever possible to fix those problems. Well, I needed to get a root canal and some wisdom teeth pulled, so one drill weekend they put me and all the other guys who need dental work, put us in a HMMV and drive us 2 hours away to a National Guard armory. In the armory they had a mobile dental station set up. I mean seriously they were having the patients sit in those swivel computer desk chairs lol and all the equipment was running of a generator. The generator wasn't giving enough power, so the drills they used were only running at half power, making the drilling take like twice as long as it should normally take. But I figured 'who cares? free dental'. Well while my Sergeant is back there getting one of his teeth removed when the freakin' generator dies out on them. So all the dentists are running around freaking out trying to get the power back on and the Officer in charge of the armory is about to call 911 for the people who were getting their teeth removed. Finally some guys bring up another generator and everyone gets back to work. So I went in there after that and managed to talk them out of working on my wisdom teeth and just doing the root canal. Well the root canal took about 2 hours and since they were running low on that crap they use to numb up your gums, I somewhat felt the entire thing. Wasn't a fun experience.

The real horror of it all is I get to go back to that mobile dental station this weekend to get those wisdom teeth removed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back