• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle Tower (Information, Discussion, etc - like your neighborhood Ursaring)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetta-Chan

Shuckle Is A Goofy Goober. :D
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    So, what should I use for Latias. Maybe Latios. What set?

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Okay, so I really want to get into the Battle Tower scene, but I need a lot of help in doing so. I'm willing to EV train, breed, etc...and all that, but I need help learning how to do it first. In my mind, I don't have a definite lineup, but I want to get used to using Tyranitar first. I need confirmation on how to:

1) Get proper IVs (or at least check them)
    2) EV train in general (any help videos would be appreciated)
    3) How to do this all without Wifi (please don't say it's impossible :<)

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    Well, Vance, you could always check the guides. If you want some help EV training, Bulbapedia lists the EV values of defeating each Poke on its website on each of the Pokemon's pages. IVs can be check with an IV calc online, Metalkid, etc. If u get a Poke with bad IVs for battling, use it as a parent. Since only 3 of the IVs get passed down from the parents iirc, you might get some better qualities if you keep breeding.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I'm testing out a few specific (lol, bad evs, ivs, natures) Pokes to see if I can get used to them. I really like Tyranitar/Garchomp/Gengar, and I CAN breed all three of them. So I was thinking on making a doubles team, with some random fodder as the fourth.

Zetta-Chan

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    Vs.

Well, starting the new team with Latias didn't work out guys. Oh well, time to regroup and move on. Anyways, I knew I wanted a yawn lead, so I went for Uxie. Why? Only because BeachBoy always seems to get fabulous wins with his, and plus I love the little floating brain. Anyways, now it's time for a Dragon type on my team. I'm going out of the usual, and not using Garchomp. I feel he is way to overused, and I want to try something a lot different. So here's the decision I need to make, Salamence or Flygon. I know Salamence totally rips through Flygon, but lets look deeper. Flygon's great typing makes it immune to sandstorm and good ability with Levitate. He/she also gets that great Special Defense boost in the Sandstorm, when Salamence does not. The problem is he has a measly 100 base attack, not even comparing to Salamence's 135 Base attack. Salamence gets the amazing ability Intimidate, already crippling a foe. He is immune from Earthquake because of his typing, has great stats, but downfalls in sandstorm. So I need help, which one? Though Flygon's base attack is lower, here are his damage calculations.

Outrage vs. max HP / max Def Suicune: 43.56%-51.49%
    Outrage vs. max HP / max Def Vaporeon: 56.9%-67.03%
    Outrage vs. max HP / max Def Swampert: 51.49%-60.64%
    Outrage vs. max HP / max Def Zapdos: 55.99%-66.15%
    Outrage vs. max HP / max Def Cresselia: 38.51% - 45.5%
    Earthquake vs. max HP / max Def Jirachi: 79.95%-94.06%
    Earthquake vs. max HP / min Def Metagross: 97% - 100%
    Earthquake vs. max HP / min Def Tyranitar: 100%
    Fire Punch vs. max HP / max Def Skarmory: 38.32% - 45.51%
    Fire Punch vs. max HP / max Def Bronzong: 43.2% - 51.48% Fire Blast vs. max HP / min SpD Skarmory: 63.47% - 74.85%
    Fire Blast vs. max HP / 92 SpD Sassy Bronzong: 37.87% - 44.97%

Battle Tower (Information, Discussion, etc - like your neighborhood Ursaring) @ Choice Band

252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
    Adamant Nature / Levitate
    Earthquake
    Outrage
    Stone Edge
    U-Turn
    Battle Tower (Information, Discussion, etc - like your neighborhood Ursaring)@ Life Orb
    Rash Nature / Intimidate
    120 Atk / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
    Brick Break
    Draco Meteor
    Flamethrower
    Roost

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Well, starting the new team with Latias didn't work out guys. Oh well, time to regroup and move on. Anyways, I knew I wanted a yawn lead, so I went for Uxie. Why? Only because BeachBoy always seems to get fabulous wins with his, and plus I love the little floating brain. Anyways, now it's time for a Dragon type on my team. I'm going out of the usual, and not using Garchomp. I feel he is way to overused, and I want to try something a lot different. So here's the decision I need to make, Salamence or Flygon. I know Salamence totally rips through Flygon, but lets look deeper. Flygon's great typing makes it immune to sandstorm and good ability with Levitate. He/she also gets that great Special Defense boost in the Sandstorm, when Salamence does not. The problem is he has a measly 100 base attack, not even comparing to Salamence's 135 Base attack. Salamence gets the amazing ability Intimidate, already crippling a foe. He is immune from Earthquake because of his typing, has great stats, but downfalls in sandstorm. So I need help, which one? Though Flygon's base attack is lower, here are his damage calculations.

This is actually incorrect as the Sandstorm raises the Sp Def of ROCK type Pokemon. Flygon is not hurt by the Sandstorm, but it does not receive a Sp Def boost.
    To answer your question, I would personally go with Flygon because he isn't that much weaker, he can still reap some havoc. Also with U-Turn and it's ground typing it is able to ease prediction a lot easier than Salamence although Intimidate is envied here.
    Flygon is a great team player and a with Outrage he is really able to damage teams.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Flygon does not get a Special Defense boost from Sandstorm; only Rock types do. As for the Dragons, they're two different sets. It's hard to compare, but Flygon probably outdamages Salamence since it's focused on one offensive stat.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Hmm, well, I'd say it depends more on your third Pocket Monster. If you're going to use Uxie (I'm assuming you have a good one available then) who would your third Pocket Monster be thanks to either of them.

Salamence's intimidate is awesome. Flygon's power is relatively fine. But both can't boost stats quickly, and don't look like the centerpiece to me. (They seem more like third party importance rather than "focus on the Y sweep") The point of Yawn on Uxie was to render the opponent useless for a couple of turns to set up screens & sweep. I'd say if you want to compare it should be Choice Band vs. Choice Band. And then I'd prefer Salamence because you'll be able to 2HKO Zong more, while Flygon whistles in the dark. I'm not a huge fan of Choice Items in the BT either because there's not a whole lot of room to go refreshing them. Hence why I like Salamence more due to more sheer power.

Let's say you had one team (Uxie + Salamence) and another (Uxie + Flygon) who's your third Pocket Monster?
    - - -
    Also, Vance, great to hear you want to get involved here. :D

FinalPaladin

役 フロンティア
    Years
    electrode@focussash
    static
    ????? nature
    spA???/atk???/spe???
    explosion
    light screen
    thunderbolt
    ????????????

can someone help me with this set,i thought that it would be a good lead

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    electrode@focussash
    static
    ????? nature
    spA???/atk???/spe???
    explosion
    light screen
    thunderbolt
    ????????????

can someone help me with this set,i thought that it would be a good lead
    Well, if you're considing Electrode, why not go with Rain Dance? o_o A Rain Dance team in the BT could work. And 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed for the Effort Value spread. Hasty if you want to outspeed everything, and tie with other Electrode while not harming Explosion's power.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Online now
    I know this is kinda weird, but i have a Crystal battle tower team=3
    |--------|
    |
    :
    |
    |--------|

Electabuzz@Miracle Berry
    - Cross Chop
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Punch
    - Fire Punch

MixBuzz is win, hits alot for super effective with its awesome coverage. Miracle Berry heals all status so thats cool. Opens up the match and tries to rip up as much as possible for my other 2 dudes.

Suicune@Leftovers
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf

A pokemon notorius for being a total idiot to get rid of and tanks the hell out of everything. Seriously if you cant get rid of this within 2 turns...well good luck, you are gonna need it ._..

Snorlax@Mint Berry
    - Rest
    - Curse
    - Earthquake
    - Body Slam / Return

On par with ubers in G/S/C, a total monster and after a few curses hardly anything stops this. Mint Berry cures sleep for quick wake up and because i cant use lefties again =/. Once again a fantastic tank that eally rips stuff apart.

https://www.psypokes.com/gsc/battletower.php?level=10

That should help people rate as it tells you which pokes i should be up against.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In addition i actually have a new D/P battle tower team too lol. Its kinda Jumpman rip off relying on the same strategy, but idc lol. Its been doing really well surpassing my previous record with 122 wins so far and still going, definately my best ever bt team =]. Ill try and get some proof later if my camera decides to show up.

Team Overview : -
    Code:
    [IMG]https://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpiconani/dpiconani479.gif[/IMG][IMG]https://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpiconani/dpiconani448.gif[/IMG][IMG]https://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpiconani/dpiconani381.gif[/IMG]
    Team in depth : -

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 6 Hp / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Trick
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power Ice / Thunderwave

Trick scarf Rotom !! Basically what this does is Trick its scarf first turn and locks the foe into something silly aka a stat up move or something which luke and latios dont care about (iirc Latios and Luke resist every type between them), this then allows Latios and Lucario it eat things with a free set up =]. Im considering Thunderwave to trick scarf and then t-wave. Im currently using hp ice hower, because dragons are newb=/

---

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -S.Atk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Shadow Claw
    - Extremepseed
    - Close Combat

Standard SD Luke, you all should know what it does, nothing can take + 6 assaults from this. Im using Shadow Claw for the crit rate and because i kinda forgot to get myself another one with crunch after forgetting crunch was an egg move >:

---

Latios (M) @ Lum Berry
    - Calm Mind
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Grass Knot
    - Recover / Rest

Latios !! Again abusive of the turns Rotom grants , sweeping stuff afer some calm minds =]. I suppose Rest could be used to heal status if i lock the opponent into it with said scarf ? Idk

Help ? Sorry i couldnt go more in depth, but im short for time lol

Zetta-Chan

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    Cody's New BT Team

Alright, I've decided on Salamence. I have been testing the two in BT, and Salamence works much better with Uxie. So now, my team is looking like this.

Uxie ; Wisdom @ Light Clay
    252 HP / 126 Def / 126 SpD
    Bold Nature / Levitate
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Yawn
    Grass Knot / Flash / Thunderbot

Comments:
    Yawn Uxie lead with Dual screens. I get reseting to get my Uxie Bold with great IVs of 31/X/31/20/29/X. These are great, and take great advantage of the set. The last moveslot is filler, Grass Knot is for heavy rocks and grounds come in Uxie's way, Flash is to decrease the foes accuracy so the foe has even more trouble with OHKO, and Thunderbolt is for Gyara. Thanks BeachBoy for the EVs and moveset.

Salamence ; Dracorath @ Life Orb
    Rash Nature / Intimidate
    252 SpA / 120 Atk / 136 Spe
    Brick Break
    Draco Meteor
    Flamethrower
    Roost

Comments:
    After testing between Salamence and Flygon; Salamence won. Why? He had an arsenal of moves going from physical to special and had more powerful stats. He gets Intimidate, which is an amazing ability. His Flying makes him Immune to ground moves, and doesn't need the ability Levitate. Since he is at Life Orb, he is not trapped into one move and isn't walled by Skarm or Blissey. It was an easy choice over Flygon.

Paladin ; Lucario @ Choice Specs
    Modest Nature / Inner Focus
    252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
    Shadow Ball
    Aura Sphere
    Vacuum Wave
    Hidden Power [Rock]

Comments:
    Well, I really didn't want any Choice items on my team but I guess it came to them. If anyone has a good set that can boost Lukes SpA without Choice items, I really need it. Shadow Ball for Ghosts and Psychics, Aura Sphere for STAB and -- Accuracy. Vacuum Wave for those darn Focus Sashes, and Hidden Power [Rock] for Ice and Flying types. I picked Lucario because he is an ideal answer to Weavile who is a threat to this team. At first I wanted Swords Dance, but then changed my mind. I need help with this set.

Latios (M) @ Lum Berry
    - Calm Mind
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Grass Knot
    - Recover / Rest

Latias pulls of this set alot better, with higher SpD she can get more Calm Minds in and be a powerhouse.

Latias @ Lum Berry
    Timid Nature / Levitate
    252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 HP
    Calm Mind
    Dragon Pulse
    Grass Knot
    Recover / Roost

Last edited:

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Also, Vance, great to hear you want to get involved here. :D

Yeah, I found Diamond yesterday and saw that I had 30 Larvitars, so I'm thinking "There's gotta be ONE good one". Turns out Naive, Lax, and Relaxed were the ONLY natures common. After hours upon hours, I got a Modest Larvitar and Adamant Larvitar. I kept the Adamant one, EV trained it to 104 EVs in Attack, checked the IVs on Shoddy (since Metalkid wasn't getting exact figures) And I think that the HP IV is 31...Not too sure though. Attack is decent.

FinalPaladin

役 フロンティア
    Years
    is this set more threatening than the ape set i posted earlier

lucario@??????
    lonley nature
    innerfocus
    closecombat
    earthquake
    psychic
    dragonpulse

dunno what item to use
    im already using lifeorb on garchomp and lefties on milotic.please help

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Yeah, I found Diamond yesterday and saw that I had 30 Larvitars, so I'm thinking "There's gotta be ONE good one". Turns out Naive, Lax, and Relaxed were the ONLY natures common. After hours upon hours, I got a Modest Larvitar and Adamant Larvitar. I kept the Adamant one, EV trained it to 104 EVs in Attack, checked the IVs on Shoddy (since Metalkid wasn't getting exact figures) And I think that the HP IV is 31...Not too sure though. Attack is decent.
    Haha, having to deal with the trials of breeding again, eh? XD;

I'm curious, what Tyranitar do you plan on utilizing?

is this set more threatening than the ape set i posted earlier

lucario@??????
    lonley nature
    innerfocus
    closecombat
    earthquake
    psychic
    dragonpulse

dunno what item to use
    im already using lifeorb on garchomp and lefties on milotic.please help
    Not enough oomph in my opinion. D: I don't see what that's even trying to accomplish. If you want to use Lucario, go all-out in special (CM, Specs) or attack (SD).

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Haha, having to deal with the trials of breeding again, eh? XD;

I'm curious, what Tyranitar do you plan on utilizing?

I was originally breeding Adamant, and after nearly 30 tries of getting Naive, I was gonna settle on a Modest Specs Tar, however, I bred an Adamant one this morning, and I started EV training it. I didn't invest in it's HP/SpD, but I noticed that the IVs were close to max (HP is 30, and SpD is...around 29). So I was thinking on making it a Choice Bander. However, D_A said Choice items don't go well in the BT, so then I though about making it a physical SubPuncher (SE / Sub / FP / Crunch)

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I was originally breeding Adamant, and after nearly 30 tries of getting Naive, I was gonna settle on a Modest Specs Tar, however, I bred an Adamant one this morning, and I started EV training it. I didn't invest in it's HP/SpD, but I noticed that the IVs were close to max (HP is 30, and SpD is...around 29). So I was thinking on making it a Choice Bander. However, D_A said Choice items don't go well in the BT, so then I though about making it a physical SubPuncher (SE / Sub / FP / Crunch)
    He's correct, as I said earlier, Choice items aren't exactly like competitive play, use in the Battle Tower is more difficult; you've got half the amount of Pocket Monsters, there's less of an opportunity to refresh that move.

I think that set will work fine, though. My SubPunch Azumarill (who was later replaced by Lucario, then Scizor) did an excellent job at sub-punching. (other moves being Aqua Ring & Jet) So I'm sure you'll be able to net some huge hits with it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back