• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pet Peeves

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Alright, we've been lately discussing on how video games can help us to enjoy ourselves, but... what about pet peeves in video gaming? In certain video games, what do you not care for? In other words, what are your general pet peeves in video gaming? It could be anything; for example, I reaaally think loading times are such a bother to deal with, ugh. I just want to play the game already, y'know?

Anyway, feel free to share all thoughts!

TY

Oh i have this issue lately with SC2, the map list just wont load fast enough and im just sitting there being bored waiting till it appears but it takes forever ;-;

So yeah loading times with anything... horrible if it takes forever

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Honestly? Story. If a game has a good, engaging story, then good, but I prefer the game has NO story unless it was designed around it. I generally find it getting in the way and video games aren't exactly shining examples of writing. There are few non-visual novel games where I actually thought the story was pretty good, so I could seriously do without them. I never really get why there are so many people that care for them.

And unskippable cutscene. And long tutorials. Let me play the god damn game.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Games with incredibly lengthy cutscenes and forced tutorials. FF8 allowed you to press the cancel button and skip Quistis' tutorials. But in Front Mission 3 you have to rapid press X and I find that a little annoying.

Years
  • When every game of a series is the bloody same. (I like Pokemon regardless because the sheer amount to do in each game and the large number of spinoffs offset this. This is why I go on and on about Sonic, although I'll grant there are some real flaws in a number of the 2000s games.) Also, the save-the-princess excuse-plot in general; you might roll your eyes at this, but it's just sexist... and it was honestly done to death way before the Mario franchise.

Honestly? Story. If a game has a good, engaging story, then good, but I prefer the game has NO story unless it was designed around it. I generally find it getting in the way and video games aren't exactly shining examples of writing. There are few non-visual novel games where I actually thought the story was pretty good, so I could seriously do without them. I never really get why there are so many people that care for them.
    I'm the opposite; I prefer even puzzle, shooter, and sports games to have some kind of story, which is much of why I like Tony Hawk's Underground more than the Pro Skater ones. It's probably because it demonstrates more effort on the developers' part (although you might consider it wasted effort that could've better been directed at the gameplay, music, or visuals) and it helps me feel more immersed and care more about what I have to do.

And unskippable cutscene. And long tutorials. Let me play the god damn game.
    Seconded. I especially hate unskippable cutscenes that play whenever you die and restart the level.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    unskippable cutscenes and for the love of god forced tutorials. Anyone played the game black and white 2? I gave it to my sister as a birthday present I said it was a great game and she would love it. I also hate cOd and having to communicate with my teammates over chat. I really hate that.

Years
  • I thought of another one: I hate when there aren't any save points for a while after you start the game; I might not have time to play through the opening sequences all at once and I don't want to have to start again from the very beginning. Even worse: when save points are exhaustible, as in the old Resident Evil or GTA games.

unskippable cutscenes and for the love of god forced tutorials. Anyone played the game black and white 2? I gave it to my sister as a birthday present I said it was a great game and she would love it. I also hate cOd and having to communicate with my teammates over chat. I really hate that.
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of team-based games in general. I usually suck and get yelled at as a result, so I don't bother playing long enough to get good.

Last edited:

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • This one is more about people than the game itself, but when I'm playing Call of Duty online and I choose to use a sniper rifle, stealth perks, and camp, because that's the whole point of being a sniper, and people call me a camper. Ugh so ignorant.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • unskippable cutscenes and for the love of god forced tutorials. Anyone played the game black and white 2? I gave it to my sister as a birthday present I said it was a great game and she would love it. I also hate cOd and having to communicate with my teammates over chat. I really hate that.

Ugh, yeah, I dislike those too. XD

I mean, if I'm playing the Hard Mode of a certain video game, surely it knows that I'm experienced enough to know how to play the game. @_@ guh.

Reactions: T!M
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    My pet peeves in fighting game are when people spam the same attack. That is scrub status working at its finest and it annoys me to no end especially when they win because of it. It doesn't show much skill, memories some technique and combos, then get good that way!

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I really dislike forced tutorials. -_-

Those things just really get to me. I have to click away at so much text and go through all the stuff I already know, which is just... ugh.
    Not much else really bothers me in games, except when it takes ages to load or save.

Years
  • Pet peeve of mine would be decisions that influence the outcome of the endings, situations, etc. I know that probably contributes to the replay value, but I'm not the type of person to replay games unless it's of the quality like The Last of Us. For instance, Persona 4, I played it for an hour and was tired of it because there was too much dialogue (considering I watched the anime before hand, I already knew what happens) and continuously pressing the skip button could potentially mean skipping a question with answers that changes their stats.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Although this is more platform oriented, I absolutely hate achievements that are multiplayer oriented. As a broke college student I tend to wait out on games until the price drops down to a reasonable amount, and at that time when they do come out there isn't as much activity on the servers. Plus, some of the games just don't need it at all. Assassin's Creed for example. Game alone would have been great as a single player - did it right with AC1 and AC2. Multiplayer is interesting, but I shouldn't have to rank up all the way to the highest level just to get one achievement.

I know that I'm nitpicking here; I just like to perfect games and get all the achievements. Sucks when you buy a game years down the road and the servers are down or there's no activity, hindering your chances to get them.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Although this is more platform oriented, I absolutely hate achievements that are multiplayer oriented. As a broke college student I tend to wait out on games until the price drops down to a reasonable amount, and at that time when they do come out there isn't as much activity on the servers. Plus, some of the games just don't need it at all. Assassin's Creed for example. Game alone would have been great as a single player - did it right with AC1 and AC2. Multiplayer is interesting, but I shouldn't have to rank up all the way to the highest level just to get one achievement.

I know that I'm nitpicking here; I just like to perfect games and get all the achievements. Sucks when you buy a game years down the road and the servers are down or there's no activity, hindering your chances to get them.
    Tell me about this... I especially hate this with EA servers that shut down after 2 years or so...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Long and/or forced tutorials. I'm not a fan of the ones that are long and drawn out, especially for games that generally remain unchanged throughout their entirety, like Pokemon. Black and White are big on committing the crime of the worst tutorial ever. Compare that to Tales of the Abyss (I know, big jump) where fighting is taught to you relevantly, but not with everything thrown at you. And you learn step by step about other things as they happen, like multiple enemies in battle. You can even advance the dialog more quickly. Kirby 64 got it right by having the tutorial play if you leave the game on the menu for long enough (iirc, anyway...pretty sure it does that.)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    - Long, unskippable cutscenes with awful voice acting

- Long loading times

- No online play in games that seriously need them (E.g 80% of Nintendo games with no online play)

- Egregious hand holding and unavoidable tutorials (E.g most Nintendo games between 2010 and 2013)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Complex story lines, because there will soon be plotholes in later installments that'll only make people's brains hurt. I just want a story that's easy to understand and doesn't take the same route as deep Hollywood films. That's why I cringe whenever I hear people wanting better story lines on franchises where story is never an important factor.

Long and/or forced tutorials. I'm not a fan of the ones that are long and drawn out, especially for games that generally remain unchanged throughout their entirety, like Pokemon. Black and White are big on committing the crime of the worst tutorial ever. Compare that to Tales of the Abyss (I know, big jump) where fighting is taught to you relevantly, but not with everything thrown at you. And you learn step by step about other things as they happen, like multiple enemies in battle. You can even advance the dialog more quickly. Kirby 64 got it right by having the tutorial play if you leave the game on the menu for long enough (iirc, anyway...pretty sure it does that.)
    Then how are newcomers to the Pokemon franchise suppose to know how to catch a Pokemon? I have two young cousins who started with BW, and they had trouble on how to catch more Pokemon.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Then how are newcomers to the Pokemon franchise suppose to know how to catch a Pokemon? I have two young cousins who started with BW, and they had trouble on how to catch more Pokemon.

Making the tutorial optional. Obviously a 21 year old that has played since Red wouldn't need it. I'm not trying to say tutorials don't have their place, but when it comes to old series like Pokemon that don't change, people that have played since the beginning don't want to go through learning the ropes again.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Honestly a game like Pokemon has taught players everything via clever game design which is much more satisfactory AND rewarding over forced tutorials. There's no reason they can't do it now, aside from the fact that maybe...they're way past their prime? After B/W, B/W2 and X/Y, yeah I think so.

Back